Microsoft Project xCloud. Preview sign-ups available now, starts in Oct with Halo5/Gears5/Killer Instinct/Sea of Thieves

Anything to do with games at all.
User avatar
OldSoulCyborg
Member
Joined in 2010

PostRe: Microsoft announces Project xCloud. Trials start 2019, test experience is 10 megabits per sec
by OldSoulCyborg » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:38 pm

mic wrote:Aren’t we only buying licenses to play anyway, with the disk NOT denoting ownership?


True (I think), but with one crucial difference: it's really easy to pretend that's not the case when you have a physical copy of the game you can just slot into the console and play.

Flickr
Wii U: StainyGrimes
User avatar
Hime
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Microsoft announces Project xCloud. Trials start 2019, test experience is 10 megabits per sec
by Hime » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:04 pm

In not sure why the idea of paying for services or 'renting' is so bad. Would you rather pay for releases every generation?

Streaming could be good but I find it hard to believe that it'll work when playing competitive multiplayer over wi-fi is still a bit ropey.

Image
User avatar
Venom
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
Location: London
Contact:

PostRe: Microsoft announces Project xCloud. Trials start 2019, test experience is 10 megabits per sec
by Venom » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:42 pm

Photek wrote:Image

Yep.

Pedz wrote:Can't watch the vid right now.

Is it cloud gaming like the thing that Google has announced? So streaming games to various things without needing an Xbox?


It's a line in the sand. It's an Xbox game streaming service that can be used on any device. The tech is up and running. Public beta's in 2019 for larger scale testing. Needs a 10 Mb connection to work so if you have a device that uses 5G you can have a portable Xbox.

User avatar
OldSoulCyborg
Member
Joined in 2010

PostRe: Microsoft announces Project xCloud. Trials start 2019, test experience is 10 megabits per sec
by OldSoulCyborg » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:48 pm

Hime wrote:In not sure why the idea of paying for services or 'renting' is so bad. Would you rather pay for releases every generation?


Yes, because then I own it (or "own" it) and won't have to worry about games dropping off the service (as happens on Netflix all the time), or not being able to play a game because my internet or their servers are down.

As an option it's perfectly fine, but if it ever becomes the only option... well, I'm not super worried about that (CDs, mp3s, DVDs and BluRays are still a thing after all) but I really strawberry floating hope that will never be the case.

Flickr
Wii U: StainyGrimes
User avatar
Monkey Man
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Microsoft announces Project xCloud. Trials start 2019, test experience is 10 megabits per sec
by Monkey Man » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:26 pm



https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2019/03/12/ ... -you-play/

Image
User avatar
jawafour
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: Microsoft announces Project xCloud. Trials start 2019, test experience is 10 megabits per sec
by jawafour » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:09 am

The rush to deliver games streaming appears to be gathering pace!

Reading that MS article, it feels like they're indicating that the experience won't - at the moment - be the same as with traditional console / PC play... more like a "second option". Personally, I don't think I would be comfortable with choppy picture quality or controller lag, but I guess that these services will improve dramatically over the next decade.

Gemini73

PostRe: Microsoft announces Project xCloud. Trials start 2019, test experience is 10 megabits per sec
by Gemini73 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:15 am

I think any belief that we'll still be buying discs to play our games after the next generation will be very misplaced.

User avatar
OrangeRKN
SONM & Cake Sec.
SONM & Cake Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: Microsoft announces Project xCloud. Trials start 2019, test experience is 10 megabits per sec
by OrangeRKN » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:17 am

Gemini73 wrote:I think any belief that we'll still be buying discs to play our games after the next generation will be very misplaced.


Return of the cartridge :toot:

Right? :shifty:

People still buy music on CDs and movies on DVDs, if there is a market for physical media why wouldn't anyone capitalise on it.

"Nintendo fanboys are the worst kind" - gamerforever
Image
Image
Web - RedBubble - @OrangeRakoon - GOTY 2018
User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Microsoft announces Project xCloud. Trials start 2019, test experience is 10 megabits per sec
by Peter Crisp » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:26 am

Gemini73 wrote:I think any belief that we'll still be buying discs to play our games after the next generation will be very misplaced.


There will still be more than enough people without access to internet good enough for a streaming device to make putting games on physical media still profitable for a long time yet.

jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
Gemini73

PostRe: Microsoft announces Project xCloud. Trials start 2019, test experience is 10 megabits per sec
by Gemini73 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:30 am

OrangeRKN wrote:
People still buy music on CDs and movies on DVDs, if there is a market for physical media why wouldn't anyone capitalise on it.


Difference is CD, vinyl, blueray and DVD are supported by several manufacturers who develop the hardware necessary to play physical media. If MS and Sony choose to ditch optical drives in their platforms then that will be the end of it. You're not going to see a 3rd party PlayStation or Xbox manufactured by the likes of Panasonic or Samsung that is specifically designed to accommodate physical media.

I've always thought the "CD & DVD" defence is a poor one and for exactly the reason I've stated above.

User avatar
jawafour
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: Microsoft announces Project xCloud. Trials start 2019, test experience is 10 megabits per sec
by jawafour » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:33 am

I have to admit that I think we're rushing towards a "download only" gaming landscape. I had thought that the Switch was going to be download-only (Capcom thinks it actually is) and I do wonder if physical games for next-gen consoles will be some kind of extra-expense option rather than standard.

User avatar
OrangeRKN
SONM & Cake Sec.
SONM & Cake Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: Microsoft announces Project xCloud. Trials start 2019, test experience is 10 megabits per sec
by OrangeRKN » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:35 am

It's true that physical games media is not standardised so there is more risk in it being reliant on support from the big 3 console makers, but to me it seems like offering an option of physical media when your competitor doesn't would be a significant competitive advantage.

The CD and DVD argument is only meant to demonstrate that even in a digital dominated market, there is enough demand for physical media to be profitable.

"Nintendo fanboys are the worst kind" - gamerforever
Image
Image
Web - RedBubble - @OrangeRakoon - GOTY 2018
NickSCFC

PostRe: Microsoft announces Project xCloud. Trials start 2019, test experience is 10 megabits per sec
by NickSCFC » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:37 am

Gemini73 wrote:
OrangeRKN wrote:
People still buy music on CDs and movies on DVDs, if there is a market for physical media why wouldn't anyone capitalise on it.


Difference is CD, vinyl, blueray and DVD are supported by several manufacturers who develop the hardware necessary to play physical media. If MS and Sony choose to ditch optical drives in their platforms then that will be the end of it. You're not going to see a 3rd party PlayStation or Xbox manufactured by the likes of Panasonic or Samsung that is specifically designed to accommodate physical media.

I've always thought the "CD & DVD" defence is a poor one and for exactly the reason I've stated above.


PS5 and Xbox Anaconda will have disc drives.

Xbox Scarlett (cheaper option) won't

User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Microsoft announces Project xCloud. Trials start 2019, test experience is 10 megabits per sec
by Peter Crisp » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:37 am

I won't be going streaming only any time soon as the prices of many games on PSN and Microsoft store are bloody stupid.

jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
Gemini73

PostRe: Microsoft announces Project xCloud. Trials start 2019, test experience is 10 megabits per sec
by Gemini73 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:37 am

Peter Crisp wrote:
Gemini73 wrote:I think any belief that we'll still be buying discs to play our games after the next generation will be very misplaced.


There will still be more than enough people without access to internet good enough for a streaming device to make putting games on physical media still profitable for a long time yet.


I disagree. Between current streaming services for musical and film that make billions of dollars and the huge amounts of data already being necessary to play the latest games, disc or no, it's clear individual Internet quality isn't a consideration. If it were then you wouldn't be seeing 50-100gb downloads for current new releases. This industry doesn't care whether you're getting 2mb a second or 100mb.

Last edited by Gemini73 on Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
OrangeRKN
SONM & Cake Sec.
SONM & Cake Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: Microsoft announces Project xCloud. Trials start 2019, test experience is 10 megabits per sec
by OrangeRKN » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:38 am

Makes perfect sense to me that disc drives will only be on a more expensive model in the future.

"Nintendo fanboys are the worst kind" - gamerforever
Image
Image
Web - RedBubble - @OrangeRakoon - GOTY 2018
Gemini73

PostRe: Microsoft announces Project xCloud. Trials start 2019, test experience is 10 megabits per sec
by Gemini73 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:39 am

NickSCFC wrote:
Gemini73 wrote:
OrangeRKN wrote:
People still buy music on CDs and movies on DVDs, if there is a market for physical media why wouldn't anyone capitalise on it.


Difference is CD, vinyl, blueray and DVD are supported by several manufacturers who develop the hardware necessary to play physical media. If MS and Sony choose to ditch optical drives in their platforms then that will be the end of it. You're not going to see a 3rd party PlayStation or Xbox manufactured by the likes of Panasonic or Samsung that is specifically designed to accommodate physical media.

I've always thought the "CD & DVD" defence is a poor one and for exactly the reason I've stated above.


PS5 and Xbox Anaconda will have disc drives.



I already said they would. I said the generation after won't

Gemini73 wrote:I think any belief that we'll still be buying discs to play our games after the next generation will be very misplaced.

Last edited by Gemini73 on Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
OrangeRKN
SONM & Cake Sec.
SONM & Cake Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: Microsoft announces Project xCloud. Trials start 2019, test experience is 10 megabits per sec
by OrangeRKN » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:42 am

Oh I get it, it's a trick right because there won't be a traditional generation after the next ;)

"Nintendo fanboys are the worst kind" - gamerforever
Image
Image
Web - RedBubble - @OrangeRakoon - GOTY 2018
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Microsoft announces Project xCloud. Trials start 2019, test experience is 10 megabits per sec
by Moggy » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:50 am

I agree with Gemini. The next gen will offer disc drives but I think after that consoles will be download/stream only.

User avatar
BID0
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Essex

PostRe: Microsoft announces Project xCloud. Trials start 2019, test experience is 10 megabits per sec
by BID0 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:56 am

OrangeRKN wrote:It's true that physical games media is not standardised so there is more risk in it being reliant on support from the big 3 console makers, but to me it seems like offering an option of physical media when your competitor doesn't would be a significant competitive advantage.

The CD and DVD argument is only meant to demonstrate that even in a digital dominated market, there is enough demand for physical media to be profitable.

Not really. CD sales have been down year on year for sometime. I think Vinyl is ahead of it now in terms of sales.

Same story for DVD and BluRay. It's hard to buy the blank media these days and manufacturers are beginning to end production on the players.

Last edited by BID0 on Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Albear, Balladeer, darksideby182, Nook29, OldSoulCyborg, Photek, Ploiper, Poser, Rax, Seven, Tafdolphin and 47 guests