Microsoft Flight Simulator - Powered by satellite data and Azure AI - Reviews p5

Anything to do with games at all.
User avatar
DarkRula
Member
Joined in 2018
Contact:

PostRe: Microsoft Flight Simulator - Powered by satellite data and Azure AI - Reviews p5
by DarkRula » Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:26 pm

Cheeky Devlin wrote::lol: :lol:

I'll be streaming some more of this tonight if anyone is interested. Gonna try a more exotic flight so suggested departure/arrival locations are appreciated.


There's an airstrip somewhere within Antarctica. Use that as the departure, then head to Gold Coast, Australia. Or, if you want to make things harder, swap them.

Image
Image
User avatar
Memento Mori
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Emperor Mori

PostRe: Microsoft Flight Simulator - Powered by satellite data and Azure AI - Reviews p5
by Memento Mori » Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:50 pm

I'm tempted to download this on Gamepass to see how badly it runs on my 8 year old PC but 150GB is putting me off.

User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Microsoft Flight Simulator - Powered by satellite data and Azure AI - Reviews p5
by Peter Crisp » Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:01 pm

I'm assuming Luton is surrounded by ground to air missile launchers to protect its greatness.

jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
User avatar
Monkey Man
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Microsoft Flight Simulator - Powered by satellite data and Azure AI - Reviews p5
by Monkey Man » Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:41 pm

Flight Simulator controller recommendations: Our picks for budget, mid-tier and high end joystick setups

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/flig ... oller-7043

Image
Venom
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
Location: London
Contact:

PostRe: Microsoft Flight Simulator - Powered by satellite data and Azure AI - Reviews p5
by Venom » Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:39 pm

repost in case someone has an answer.

Venom wrote:Hold on a sec, Microsoft said they are pro-consumer and will release all their games for the next two years cross-gen so does this mean its coming to Xbox One? But thinking about it why shouldn't it run, there have been other flight sim games on the console.

User avatar
Monkey Man
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Microsoft Flight Simulator - Powered by satellite data and Azure AI - Reviews p5
by Monkey Man » Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:19 pm

Venom wrote:repost in case someone has an answer.

Venom wrote:Hold on a sec, Microsoft said they are pro-consumer and will release all their games for the next two years cross-gen so does this mean its coming to Xbox One? But thinking about it why shouldn't it run, there have been other flight sim games on the console.


Microsoft has finally released Microsoft Flight Simulator on the PC and from the looks of it, there is currently no CPU that can run the game with 60fps on High or Ultra settings. This is currently one of the most CPU-bound games on the PC, and one that it really needs a new generation of CPUs in order to shine.

https://www.dsogaming.com/pc-performanc ... igh-ultra/

I doubt it with the XB1's CPU. "Forza Motorsport, Fable, Avowed, As Dusk Falls, Everwild and State of Decay 3 were all listed as coming to Xbox Series X and Windows PC — with no Xbox One support and no Smart Delivery feature." I expect Forza & Everwild will probably be released in the next couple of years & be next-gen only, maybe you'll beable to play them on XB1 via xcloud.

Image
User avatar
Kezzer
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: Microsoft Flight Simulator - Powered by satellite data and Azure AI - Reviews p5
by Kezzer » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:05 pm

Cheeky Devlin wrote:
Kezzer wrote:
Cheeky Devlin wrote::lol: :lol:

I'll be streaming some more of this tonight if anyone is interested. Gonna try a more exotic flight so suggested departure/arrival locations are appreciated.



where have you done so far?

Just short hops in the UK and one in Mexico (Wanted to find where I went my Honeymoon :lol: ).


Courchevel (IATA: CVF, ICAO: LFLJ)
Innsbruck (IATA: INN, ICAO: LOWI)
Lukla (IATA: LUA, ICAO: VNLK)
Princess Juliana (IATA: SXM, ICAO: TNCM)
Saint Helena Airport (IATA: HLE, ICAO: FHSH)
Denali Airport (Mckinley Park - AK06)
Sion Airport (IATA: SIR, ICAO: LSGS)
El Alto (IATA: LPB, ICAO: SLLP)
London City (IATA: LCY, ICAO: EGLC)
Genoa Cristoforo Colombo Airport (IATA: GOA, ICAO: LIMJ)
Ísafjörður Airport (IATA: IFJ, ICAO: BIIS)

Image
Image
Image

Check out the Digital Combat Simulator thread for some hardcore aerial combat! | Mumble | PCGT V | The Photography Thread
User avatar
OldSoulCyborg
Member
Joined in 2010

PostRe: Microsoft Flight Simulator - Powered by satellite data and Azure AI - Reviews p5
by OldSoulCyborg » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:14 pm

Kezzer wrote:Ísafjörður Airport (IATA: IFJ, ICAO: BIIS)


That's the town where I was born.

Fun fact: To do a proper landing you have to come into the fjord and make a U-turn before landing.


User avatar
Cuttooth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Microsoft Flight Simulator - Powered by satellite data and Azure AI - Reviews p5
by Cuttooth » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:18 pm

This really is a ludicrously pretty game, even on High.

Image

Image

Image


I get the hype around the experience with this now, flying across the Sahara at sunset. Can't for the life of me work out how to end a flight though, and I can never seem to actually complete the first objective of a flight of getting to the 'right' cruising altitude.

But hey, it's alright.

User avatar
Kezzer
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: Microsoft Flight Simulator - Powered by satellite data and Azure AI - Reviews p5
by Kezzer » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:26 pm

alt f4 will work

Image
Image
Image

Check out the Digital Combat Simulator thread for some hardcore aerial combat! | Mumble | PCGT V | The Photography Thread
User avatar
Cheeky Devlin
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: The Dark And Lonely Regions, Where Nobody Goes.
Contact:

PostRe: Microsoft Flight Simulator - Powered by satellite data and Azure AI - Reviews p5
by Cheeky Devlin » Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:04 am

Kezzer wrote:
Cheeky Devlin wrote:
Kezzer wrote:
Cheeky Devlin wrote::lol: :lol:

I'll be streaming some more of this tonight if anyone is interested. Gonna try a more exotic flight so suggested departure/arrival locations are appreciated.



where have you done so far?

Just short hops in the UK and one in Mexico (Wanted to find where I went my Honeymoon :lol: ).


Courchevel (IATA: CVF, ICAO: LFLJ)
Innsbruck (IATA: INN, ICAO: LOWI)
Lukla (IATA: LUA, ICAO: VNLK)
Princess Juliana (IATA: SXM, ICAO: TNCM)
Saint Helena Airport (IATA: HLE, ICAO: FHSH)
Denali Airport (Mckinley Park - AK06)
Sion Airport (IATA: SIR, ICAO: LSGS)
El Alto (IATA: LPB, ICAO: SLLP)
London City (IATA: LCY, ICAO: EGLC)
Genoa Cristoforo Colombo Airport (IATA: GOA, ICAO: LIMJ)
Ísafjörður Airport (IATA: IFJ, ICAO: BIIS)


Cheers man.

Started a flight from Uluru to Sydney and watched the sun come up. Utterly gorgeous. It's an amazingly beautiful game.

Flew over Manhattan.... game turned into a slide show :lol:

It's mental because everywhere else in the game runs silky smooth, but New York destroyed my frame rate. Easily down to around 10fps at best flying through the city. It's the first part of any game that's just utterly humbled my 1080. GPU upgrade next year I think.

Check out some of our stuff!
Image Image Image

JOIN OUR MINECRAFT REALM HERE!
AYAMMM 2020 is coming..... Hit The Switch
User avatar
Somebody Else's Problem
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

PostRe: Microsoft Flight Simulator - Powered by satellite data and Azure AI - Reviews p5
by Somebody Else's Problem » Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:48 am

Venom wrote:repost in case someone has an answer.

Venom wrote:Hold on a sec, Microsoft said they are pro-consumer and will release all their games for the next two years cross-gen so does this mean its coming to Xbox One? But thinking about it why shouldn't it run, there have been other flight sim games on the console.


Maybe through xCloud.

Image
User avatar
Madness
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Tom Sawyer

PostRe: Microsoft Flight Simulator - Powered by satellite data and Azure AI - Reviews p5
by Madness » Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:42 am

Venom wrote:repost in case someone has an answer.

Venom wrote:Hold on a sec, Microsoft said they are pro-consumer and will release all their games for the next two years cross-gen so does this mean its coming to Xbox One? But thinking about it why shouldn't it run, there have been other flight sim games on the console.


Image

I’ve only got the original Xbox One and I can only imagine this is what they’d have to do to the graphics to get it running well. :slol:

User avatar
Albear
Moderator
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Microsoft Flight Simulator - Powered by satellite data and Azure AI - Reviews p5
by Albear » Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:45 pm

Cheeky Devlin wrote:
It's mental because everywhere else in the game runs silky smooth, but New York destroyed my frame rate. Easily down to around 10fps at best flying through the city. It's the first part of any game that's just utterly humbled my 1080. GPU upgrade next year I think.


What are your Settings Cheeky?

I'm running on a 1080 (non TI), with 16GB RAM and Intel Xeon E5-1620 @ 3.6GHZ, and whilst not the best machine out there has always allowd me play most games at 60FPS at 1440p at mostly ultra settings, but for this game my performance is dreadful :dread:

I've had to turn basically everything to low, and even then I get choppy performance in the Air (35-50 FPS). If I go near any airport or City it usually drops into the 20s or even lower.

Looks lovely, but really disappointed with the performance. All my drivers are up to date, so don't know if this is something an MS patch can improve.

Hopefully will be properly optimised for the New Xbox. I can't see it being able to hit 60FPS at 4k with all the bells and whistles turned on, but you never know what they can do with a closed platform.

User avatar
Cheeky Devlin
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: The Dark And Lonely Regions, Where Nobody Goes.
Contact:

PostRe: Microsoft Flight Simulator - Powered by satellite data and Azure AI - Reviews p5
by Cheeky Devlin » Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:15 pm

Albear wrote:
Cheeky Devlin wrote:
It's mental because everywhere else in the game runs silky smooth, but New York destroyed my frame rate. Easily down to around 10fps at best flying through the city. It's the first part of any game that's just utterly humbled my 1080. GPU upgrade next year I think.


What are your Settings Cheeky?

I'm running on a 1080 (non TI), with 16GB RAM and Intel Xeon E5-1620 @ 3.6GHZ, and whilst not the best machine out there has always allowd me play most games at 60FPS at 1440p at mostly ultra settings, but for this game my performance is dreadful :dread:

I've had to turn basically everything to low, and even then I get choppy performance in the Air (35-50 FPS). If I go near any airport or City it usually drops into the 20s or even lower.

Looks lovely, but really disappointed with the performance. All my drivers are up to date, so don't know if this is something an MS patch can improve.

Hopefully will be properly optimised for the New Xbox. I can't see it being able to hit 60FPS at 4k with all the bells and whistles turned on, but you never know what they can do with a closed platform.


Ryzen 7 2700X 8 Core (3.7GHz-4.35GHz)
16GB Corsair Vengeance 2666MHz RAM
8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1080

I've got everything on the "High-End" setting and I'm playing it at 1080p.

In this it struggles with areas where there's a lot of ground detail and lots of other pilots. But everywhere else it's silky smooth.

Check out some of our stuff!
Image Image Image

JOIN OUR MINECRAFT REALM HERE!
AYAMMM 2020 is coming..... Hit The Switch
User avatar
ignition
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Microsoft Flight Simulator - Powered by satellite data and Azure AI - Reviews p5
by ignition » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:11 am

This article has done gpu benchmarks for the game. They go to great lengths to express that 30 FPS is more than good enough for a flight sim and that 60 FPS, while nice, is not essential when most things are moving around the screen slowly most of the time.

Image

Might not be linking images right, but here is a link to some key GPU performance benchmark screen grabs: http://imgur.com/a/gHuSWSM

The system spec they tested on was:

- Core i9 9900K
- Z390 (ASRock Tachi Ultimate)
- 32 GB DDR4 3200 MHz CL16
- NVMe M.2. SSD WD Black


I have a Vega 64 with a Ryzen 5 3600 and 32gb RAM , so hoping to get around 35 FPS on my 1080p screen when I try it on ultra.

Can anyone comment on how good it is playing with an X1 controller? Don't have a flight stick and don't fancy using keyboard and mouse on the sofa.

Image
Venom
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
Location: London
Contact:

PostRe: Microsoft Flight Simulator - Powered by satellite data and Azure AI - Reviews p5
by Venom » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:15 am

OldSoulCyborg wrote:That's the town where I was born.

Fun fact: To do a proper landing you have to come into the fjord and make a U-turn before landing.




Whilst the video looks really compressed the actual location looks great. Seeing an area as remote as this makes me realise what one of the draws of Flight Simulator is (besides flying over your house) it's that you can see and travel the whole world, there's a sense of being somewhere else that's real! Google Maps allows you to do this but this is more involved.


Monkey Man wrote:
Venom wrote:Hold on a sec, Microsoft said they are pro-consumer and will release all their games for the next two years cross-gen so does this mean its coming to Xbox One? But thinking about it why shouldn't it run, there have been other flight sim games on the console.



I doubt it with the XB1's CPU. "Forza Motorsport, Fable, Avowed, As Dusk Falls, Everwild and State of Decay 3 were all listed as coming to Xbox Series X and Windows PC — with no Xbox One support and no Smart Delivery feature." I expect Forza & Everwild will probably be released in the next couple of years & be next-gen only, maybe you'll beable to play them on XB1 via xcloud.


I used to play flight sims on my Amiga! I'm guessing the processor intensive feature is drawing the land/sea so surely this can be downscaled.

User avatar
DarkRula
Member
Joined in 2018
Contact:

PostRe: Microsoft Flight Simulator - Powered by satellite data and Azure AI - Reviews p5
by DarkRula » Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:50 pm

ignition wrote:Can anyone comment on how good it is playing with an X1 controller? Don't have a flight stick and don't fancy using keyboard and mouse on the sofa.


I've only played with all assists on, so no idea how it works with all that, but for general flying and messing about a controller works fine. Just make sure to turn the sensitivity down for the left stick, otherwise the smallest of movements will have you fighting for control.

Image
Image
User avatar
kazanova_Frankenstein
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Microsoft Flight Simulator - Powered by satellite data and Azure AI - Reviews p5
by kazanova_Frankenstein » Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:46 pm

Venom wrote:
OldSoulCyborg wrote:That's the town where I was born.

Fun fact: To do a proper landing you have to come into the fjord and make a U-turn before landing.




Whilst the video looks really compressed the actual location looks great. Seeing an area as remote as this makes me realise what one of the draws of Flight Simulator is (besides flying over your house) it's that you can see and travel the whole world, there's a sense of being somewhere else that's real! Google Maps allows you to do this but this is more involved.


Monkey Man wrote:
Venom wrote:Hold on a sec, Microsoft said they are pro-consumer and will release all their games for the next two years cross-gen so does this mean its coming to Xbox One? But thinking about it why shouldn't it run, there have been other flight sim games on the console.



I doubt it with the XB1's CPU. "Forza Motorsport, Fable, Avowed, As Dusk Falls, Everwild and State of Decay 3 were all listed as coming to Xbox Series X and Windows PC — with no Xbox One support and no Smart Delivery feature." I expect Forza & Everwild will probably be released in the next couple of years & be next-gen only, maybe you'll beable to play them on XB1 via xcloud.


I used to play flight sims on my Amiga! I'm guessing the processor intensive feature is drawing the land/sea so surely this can be downscaled.


Knights of the Sky pilot checking in :D

I was playing them on C64 before that as well (Flight Path 737 still gives me nightmares 32 years later).

Image
Image
User avatar
Photek
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Dublin

PostRe: Microsoft Flight Simulator - Powered by satellite data and Azure AI - Reviews p5
by Photek » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:15 pm

Venom wrote:I used to play flight sims on my Amiga! I'm guessing the processor intensive feature is drawing the land/sea so surely this can be downscaled.

The just released a screen shot of MS FS running on Xbox One:
Image

Image
Modern Warfare Tag: PHOTEK#9326680

Return to “Games”