Monster Hunter (makes my willy) Rise - Switch out March 26th 2021 Worldwide

Anything to do with games at all.
User avatar
jawa2
Member
Joined in 2020

PostRe: Monster Hunter (makes my willy) Rise - Switch out March 26th 2021 Worldwide
by jawa2 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:10 am

I saw Dark Rula stream the demo on the GRcade Twitch channel yesterday and it was impressive; graphically it was better than I had expected. The demo itself looked to be pretty tough and Rula made multiple attempts to take down a big beastie. I think that's the key part of the game, though - you gradually learn how the creature moves and reacts? Rula was saying how normally you'd have some kit and weaponry of your choice but, in the demo, of course you're plonked in against the beast with some pretty random gear.

Tl;dr It looked cool and challenging.

User avatar
jawa2
Member
Joined in 2020

PostRe: Monster Hunter (makes my willy) Rise - Switch out March 26th 2021 Worldwide
by jawa2 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:13 am

Image

Are any of you more dedicated Monster Hunter fans looking to pick up the Collector's Edition? The amiibo looks pretty coo!

User avatar
ITSMILNER
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: UK

PostRe: Monster Hunter (makes my willy) Rise - Switch out March 26th 2021 Worldwide
by ITSMILNER » Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:40 am

Question, when you fight one of the big monsters and you get killed and carted off, does any of the damage you dealt retain or does it basically reset the encounter?

Long Live Switch Squad!
User avatar
OrangeRKN
SONM & Cake Sec.
SONM & Cake Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: Monster Hunter (makes my willy) Rise - Switch out March 26th 2021 Worldwide
by OrangeRKN » Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:46 am

Mafro wrote:
OrangeRKN wrote:Monster tracking seems to just be not a thing at all now after being streamlined in World as you just get them marked on the map from the beginning?

That’s probably just something they’ve done for the demo, same with the quest arrow pointing you right to the monster’s direction. They’ve done similar in previous demos.


Cool fair enough! I hardly remember past demos.

ITSMILNER wrote:Question, when you fight one of the big monsters and you get killed and carted off, does any of the damage you dealt retain or does it basically reset the encounter?


The damage remains. If you cart three times it's a auest failure and then you have to restart

Image
Image
orkn.uk - SW-6533-2461-3235 - @OrangeRakoon - ACNH Howdyfern
User avatar
Mafro
Moderator
Joined in 2008
AKA: DAT MAF
Contact:

PostRe: Monster Hunter (makes my willy) Rise - Switch out March 26th 2021 Worldwide
by Mafro » Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:12 pm

jawa2 wrote:Image

Are any of you more dedicated Monster Hunter fans looking to pick up the Collector's Edition? The amiibo looks pretty coo!

Got it preordered :toot:

HSH28 wrote:Assmung you ever get one that is.

Blog | Twitter
User avatar
DarkRula
Member
Joined in 2018
Contact:

PostRe: Monster Hunter (makes my willy) Rise - Switch out March 26th 2021 Worldwide
by DarkRula » Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:49 pm

The demo has been a lot of fun. I do think the intermediate difficulty is slightly higher owing to there being no advanced difficulty challenge, but that could just be me faltering too much in how the combat works after hours spent on Hyrule Warriors (I did keep pressing Y at certain points to attack and instead used an item). I'm certainly looking forward to getting into hunting monsters and building my character up again.

Image
Image
User avatar
ITSMILNER
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: UK

PostRe: Monster Hunter (makes my willy) Rise - Switch out March 26th 2021 Worldwide
by ITSMILNER » Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:53 pm

OrangeRKN wrote:
Mafro wrote:
OrangeRKN wrote:Monster tracking seems to just be not a thing at all now after being streamlined in World as you just get them marked on the map from the beginning?

That’s probably just something they’ve done for the demo, same with the quest arrow pointing you right to the monster’s direction. They’ve done similar in previous demos.


Cool fair enough! I hardly remember past demos.

ITSMILNER wrote:Question, when you fight one of the big monsters and you get killed and carted off, does any of the damage you dealt retain or does it basically reset the encounter?


The damage remains. If you cart three times it's a auest failure and then you have to restart


Ahh that’s good to know, will put more time into the demo over the weekend.

Long Live Switch Squad!
User avatar
HaruKazuhira
Member
Joined in 2018

PostRe: Monster Hunter (makes my willy) Rise - Switch out March 26th 2021 Worldwide
by HaruKazuhira » Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:04 pm

The Shrine area is lacking in terms of colour which can look a bit washed out at times, but during the night it seems to look much better. Excited to see other areas revealed because the Frost Islands looks amazing. Sometimes it can be surprising this is even running on Switch so smoothly. Props to the RE Engine.

User avatar
Drumstick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Monster Hunter (makes my willy) Rise - Switch out March 26th 2021 Worldwide
by Drumstick » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:11 pm

I'm yet to play the demo (though I did watch the SwitchUp review) and I'm completely new to this series. I get that you saunter around getting into fights with monsters and gooseberry fool.

But what is the actual goal of the game? Is there a story? How do you complete it? etc

One man should not have this much power in this game. Luckily I'm not an ordinary man.
Image Image
"economically unviable"
-Oblomov Boblomov
User avatar
OrangeRKN
SONM & Cake Sec.
SONM & Cake Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: Monster Hunter (makes my willy) Rise - Switch out March 26th 2021 Worldwide
by OrangeRKN » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:26 pm

Having played more of the demo in multiplayer and having got the hang of the controls and the wirebugging specifically I am very into this now. Really want the game to launch already!

Wirebugging up to the top of the peak is great and it really shows off the engine - the draw distance across the map and the way you can leap off and spiderman across the map. Being able to chain together wirebug zips with flips lets you cover some huge distances, it's almost cappy like from Mario Odyssey!

Drumstick wrote:I'm yet to play the demo (though I did watch the SwitchUp review) and I'm completely new to this series. I get that you saunter around getting into fights with monsters and gooseberry fool.

But what is the actual goal of the game? Is there a story? How do you complete it? etc


There is a story but it's not a huge focus. It's quest based with you taking on quests from a hub in a very MMO fashion. The standard quest it to hunt a monster and they play out a lot like boss fights in other games taking anywhere up to 50 minutes to kill. There are several maps and lots of monsters. You complete quests to rank up and unlock more difficult quests. You craft new weapons and armour to get stronger from the loot you get from the monsters you kill.

Lots of games have copied the structure since the series was so popular on PSP so it is possible you have played one of those and will be familiar even if you haven't played a Monster Hunter game. Much like we have "metroidvanias" and "souls-like" games, those games are often referred to as "hunting action". Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker is perhaps the most high profile, it even had crossover content with Monster Hunter. MGSV then built on Peace Walker so even that has a similar mission structure!

Image
Image
orkn.uk - SW-6533-2461-3235 - @OrangeRakoon - ACNH Howdyfern
User avatar
Mafro
Moderator
Joined in 2008
AKA: DAT MAF
Contact:

PostRe: Monster Hunter (makes my willy) Rise - Switch out March 26th 2021 Worldwide
by Mafro » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:31 pm

Drumstick wrote:I'm yet to play the demo (though I did watch the SwitchUp review) and I'm completely new to this series. I get that you saunter around getting into fights with monsters and gooseberry fool.

But what is the actual goal of the game? Is there a story? How do you complete it? etc

The story of this one seems to be inspired by the Night Parade of One Hundred Demons from Japanese folklore with something called the Rampage where frenzied monsters are attacking your village and you need to hunt them. You play through a series of hunt quests of increasing tiers of difficulty culminating in a fight against the big bad monster that's been causing all the problems (at least that's what it's been in all the previous games). There's no XP to level up skills or anything like that, but instead you upgrade your weapon and armour with resources and monster parts you gather from successful hunts.

HSH28 wrote:Assmung you ever get one that is.

Blog | Twitter
User avatar
HaruKazuhira
Member
Joined in 2018

PostRe: Monster Hunter (makes my willy) Rise - Switch out March 26th 2021 Worldwide
by HaruKazuhira » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:09 am

Story has never been the strong suit of this series but the worlds are full of so much character, personality and lore that spin-offs have thrived from it. Tho I do think MH World did a great job with bringing the characters to life more and Rise seems to be taking that to another level which is neat to see.


I've been thinking about the potential of us getting to learn/unlock more Silkbind attacks. Is it too hopeful to expect more? I skipped out on Gen but that game had several different types of skills for every weapon so it makes me wonder if we could see that for Rise too.

User avatar
VlaSoul
Member
Joined in 2018

PostRe: Monster Hunter (makes my willy) Rise - Switch out March 26th 2021 Worldwide
by VlaSoul » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:57 am

jawa2 wrote:Image

Are any of you more dedicated Monster Hunter fans looking to pick up the Collector's Edition? The amiibo looks pretty coo!

I was looking for a version that came with a pro controller like how the wii game came with a classic controller pro
I don't think they do that sort of thing anymore tho

Drumstick wrote:I'm yet to play the demo (though I did watch the SwitchUp review) and I'm completely new to this series. I get that you saunter around getting into fights with monsters and gooseberry fool.

But what is the actual goal of the game? Is there a story? How do you complete it? etc

kill big things, use their skin to make stronger things in order to more efficiently kill even bigger things
repeat for about 200 hours
surprisingly this is an award winning formula and has led to me playing about 600 hours of this franchise over the last decade
Completion criteria isn't objective; it really depends on what you choose to define as completion.
There is a story but normally the game goes for another hundred or so hours after you finish the story.

Image
was Vtheyoshi on (S)ONM
sig made by the venerable Krik
User avatar
Fade
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: San Junipero

PostRe: Monster Hunter (makes my willy) Rise - Switch out March 26th 2021 Worldwide
by Fade » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:26 pm

It's basically a loot game, but it actually values the loot rather than making you throw it away after 40 minutes.

I think that's one of the reasons it's so rewarding. Loot feels earned, there's clear ways to get it and you can almost always keep upgrading it if you want to.

The borderlands/diablo slot machine formula really needs to die

Image

SW-0093-4365-9039
User avatar
VlaSoul
Member
Joined in 2018

PostRe: Monster Hunter (makes my willy) Rise - Switch out March 26th 2021 Worldwide
by VlaSoul » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:21 pm

Fade wrote:It's basically a loot game, but it actually values the loot rather than making you throw it away after 40 minutes.

I think that's one of the reasons it's so rewarding. Loot feels earned, there's clear ways to get it and you can almost always keep upgrading it if you want to.

The borderlands/diablo slot machine formula really needs to die

ironically monster hunter was most likely the trailblazer/popular origin of this type of game, and it remains the best iteration of the looter

Image
was Vtheyoshi on (S)ONM
sig made by the venerable Krik
User avatar
OrangeRKN
SONM & Cake Sec.
SONM & Cake Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: Monster Hunter (makes my willy) Rise - Switch out March 26th 2021 Worldwide
by OrangeRKN » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:54 pm

VlaSoul wrote:ironically monster hunter was most likely the trailblazer/popular origin of this type of game, and it remains the best iteration of the looter


...Diablo?

Image
Image
orkn.uk - SW-6533-2461-3235 - @OrangeRakoon - ACNH Howdyfern
User avatar
Mafro
Moderator
Joined in 2008
AKA: DAT MAF
Contact:

PostRe: Monster Hunter (makes my willy) Rise - Switch out March 26th 2021 Worldwide
by Mafro » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:45 pm

Collector's edition from the Nintendo store has been upgraded to include a steelbook and collectible cards as well as the rest of the stuff :toot:

HSH28 wrote:Assmung you ever get one that is.

Blog | Twitter
User avatar
HaruKazuhira
Member
Joined in 2018

PostRe: Monster Hunter (makes my willy) Rise - Switch out March 26th 2021 Worldwide
by HaruKazuhira » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:13 pm

There was a period during the PSP days where everyone tried to do their own version of MH which is quite something. God Eater was the only game that came close to nailing it imo. I still need to play the newer ones tho. I'm surprised it kinda just stopped. With MH back in the popular eye, I'd be very curious to see more people try their hand at this genre. Maybe take a break from trying to make the millionth Soulslike.

User avatar
VlaSoul
Member
Joined in 2018

PostRe: Monster Hunter (makes my willy) Rise - Switch out March 26th 2021 Worldwide
by VlaSoul » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:19 pm

OrangeRKN wrote:
VlaSoul wrote:ironically monster hunter was most likely the trailblazer/popular origin of this type of game, and it remains the best iteration of the looter


...Diablo?

i refuse to accept western games

Image
was Vtheyoshi on (S)ONM
sig made by the venerable Krik
User avatar
OrangeRKN
SONM & Cake Sec.
SONM & Cake Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: Monster Hunter (makes my willy) Rise - Switch out March 26th 2021 Worldwide
by OrangeRKN » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:59 am

HaruKazuhira wrote:There was a period during the PSP days where everyone tried to do their own version of MH which is quite something. God Eater was the only game that came close to nailing it imo. I still need to play the newer ones tho. I'm surprised it kinda just stopped. With MH back in the popular eye, I'd be very curious to see more people try their hand at this genre. Maybe take a break from trying to make the millionth Soulslike.


God Eater is good from the little I've played of Burst but it's even steeper a learning curve than MH with the insanely in-depth gun and bullet customisation, I never got my head around it.

For me the best MH clones came on Vita, perhaps because it lacks a MH of its own. Soul Sacrifice is the best of them and I played a lot of it, especially great for its dark fairytale folklore. Second is probably Freedom Wars with the genuinely intetesting prisoner premise. I also thought Toukiden was well made and (especially as we never got MH Portable Third) the more Japanese stylings set it apart. Rise actually has a hint of Toukiden in it to me because of that!

On PSP I had Lord of Arcana which was OK and White Knight Chronicles Origins which was just bad. If Peace Walker counts that's actually the best of them but its much less of a clone even with the crossover content! It does the mission structure and multiplayer very well though.

I guess the point of this post is to say go and play Soul Sacrifice!

Image
Image
orkn.uk - SW-6533-2461-3235 - @OrangeRakoon - ACNH Howdyfern

Return to “Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Fisher, Google [Bot], Met, Skarjo and 170 guests