Monster Hunter (makes my willy) Rise - GOTY OUT NOW (PC Early 2022)

Anything to do with games at all.
User avatar
Rik_
Member
Joined in 2015

PostRe: Monster Hunter (makes my willy) Rise - GOTY OUT NOW (PC Early 2022)
by Rik_ » Tue May 04, 2021 2:59 pm

You can either do it by dealing ride damage as OR said - generally from any aerial attack or Silkbind attack (the wirebug attacks you do by pressing ZL+X/ZL+A), which will give blue-tinged damage numbers so you know when you're dealing ride damage - or by baiting monsters into attacking each other. You've probably picked up some Stinkminks at some point if you've been exploring, if you use one of these and then attack a large monster it'll start chasing you wherever you go on the map so you can lead it to a different big monster to try and make them fight.

If you're using Dual Blades, your main ride damage will be coming from the ZL+X silkbind attack - you'll stab a kunai into the monster which stays there for a while before doing a big burst of damage, the more hits you land on that area in that short window of time the more damage the ending burst will do. It's good for when you trip a monster - while it's vulnerable get the kunai in, enter demon mode with ZR (faster attacks, better combos and better dodges but your stamina constantly drains while active) and then press X+A for a big combo to get loads of hits in. Alternatively the ZL+A attack will launch you forwards for a smaller attack, if you get hit during the launch you'll also do a counterattack which can be handy.

If you manage to get a ride on the monster you're hunting, I recommend using it to attack a different monster for a bit instead of launching it immediately to get the ride on the other one - if you knock it about for a bit you can make it drop a few shinies which is helpful for picking up a few extra monster materials each hunt.

PSN - Rik2209
Switch - SW-7686-7983-2581
Discord - rik#3968
User avatar
Jezo
Member
Joined in 2015
AKA: Jezo
Contact:

PostRe: Monster Hunter (makes my willy) Rise - GOTY OUT NOW (PC Early 2022)
by Jezo » Tue May 04, 2021 6:54 pm

To add to the Riding tips. Monsters that aren't a target of the quest are much easier to make rideable. Launching a monster into one of them will make them rideable. Furthermore, these non-quest monsters will become rideable again around 5-10 minutes (Idk the actual time but I generally find it's around that time) after they've already been ridden.

User avatar
HaruKazuhira
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: The Dandelion, Balduq City

PostRe: Monster Hunter (makes my willy) Rise - GOTY OUT NOW (PC Early 2022)
by HaruKazuhira » Tue May 04, 2021 7:13 pm

Hexx wrote:
HaruKazuhira wrote:I mostly just need money now since everything is so dang expensive. First time I've ever been in this situation with MH lol. I guess there are ways to go around it like selling extra materials but I'm a hoarder in these kinda games >,>


Sort your box - after the various pieces of paper/tokens on last the page there will be various items that (e.g. eggs) that have no purposes except to be sold for cash


I've been doing that pretty routinely but even then, after a few weapon upgrades it's back down to poverty levels lol


Rik_ wrote:Also, cool thing I realised Rise has that I can't remember seeing since MHFU are the arena quests set in hunting grounds rather than the arena, always liked those - nice to have the challenge of doing a full hunt with specific equipment sets rather than just the arena fights.

HaruKazuhira wrote:I mostly just need money now since everything is so dang expensive. First time I've ever been in this situation with MH lol. I guess there are ways to go around it like selling extra materials but I'm a hoarder in these kinda games >,>

Arena quests give the sellable metal eggs as a reward I think, they might be a good shout for quick cash, the optional quests also have them sometimes. I do miss the thing 4U had where you could just fish for coinperch in Dundorma if you were ever short of money, thought that was a nice detail.


Haven't been doing much Arena but will look into this. Also noticed the challenges being back in normal maps too. Great call back to older games. Surprised they stopped doing them because those quests genuinely taught me a lot about keeping track of resources in a hunt.

User avatar
VlaSoul
Member
Joined in 2018
AKA: Vtheyoshi

PostRe: Monster Hunter (makes my willy) Rise - GOTY OUT NOW (PC Early 2022)
by VlaSoul » Wed May 05, 2021 10:40 am

Skarjo wrote:Alright, I've sunk about 5 hours into this now and I'm starting to get the hang of things. I'm getting a grasp for the general rhythm of the game and the battles and the mechanics which means I can tell what's 'core' and what's 'strawberry float around and find out' type stuff. Solo'd my first couple of big monsters but damn it's tight for time isn't it? I figured that 50 minutes would give me plenty of time to explore, do some gathering etc but nope, you'd better be chasing that dickhead relentlessly if you want a shot.

Kinda annoying that you don't get a chance to explore the area you were hunting in after completing the quest. Feels like heading back to the village should be optional, at least up to the remaining time, rather than an automatic 1 min kickout.

EDIT; The Dual Blades make this game playable, they're so much more fun than that bloody sword.

I also play DB, with a bit of hammer on the side. As OR said a hunt should probably average around 10-20 minutes, which probably means you're missing something during the normal combat, as opposed to just the silkbind stuff.

For DB your first priority should be entering Demon mode (ZR) and filling up that bar, which transitions your normal state to Arch Demon mode. Once you've done that, go into demon mode sometimes to make sure the bar stays topped up. Also I'd say your general gameplan should be to stick around the underside and legs on the monster, and go for the tail on monsters that can have their tail cut off. Additionally sharpen whenever you drop below green sharpness because even the 'standard' yellow sharpness does reduced damage.

Dual Blades rely on your superior mobility and fast attack speed to get around the monster; unlike other weapons it doesn't encourage waiting for openings, you're supposed to make/find your own small openings and chase down the monster while weaving out of its' attacks.

Image
was Vtheyoshi on (S)ONM. V I was, V I remain
sig made by the venerable Krik
User avatar
Skarjo
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Monster Hunter (makes my willy) Rise - GOTY OUT NOW (PC Early 2022)
by Skarjo » Wed May 05, 2021 12:49 pm

VlaSoul wrote:
Skarjo wrote:Alright, I've sunk about 5 hours into this now and I'm starting to get the hang of things. I'm getting a grasp for the general rhythm of the game and the battles and the mechanics which means I can tell what's 'core' and what's 'strawberry float around and find out' type stuff. Solo'd my first couple of big monsters but damn it's tight for time isn't it? I figured that 50 minutes would give me plenty of time to explore, do some gathering etc but nope, you'd better be chasing that dickhead relentlessly if you want a shot.

Kinda annoying that you don't get a chance to explore the area you were hunting in after completing the quest. Feels like heading back to the village should be optional, at least up to the remaining time, rather than an automatic 1 min kickout.

EDIT; The Dual Blades make this game playable, they're so much more fun than that bloody sword.

I also play DB, with a bit of hammer on the side. As OR said a hunt should probably average around 10-20 minutes, which probably means you're missing something during the normal combat, as opposed to just the silkbind stuff.

For DB your first priority should be entering Demon mode (ZR) and filling up that bar, which transitions your normal state to Arch Demon mode. Once you've done that, go into demon mode sometimes to make sure the bar stays topped up. Also I'd say your general gameplan should be to stick around the underside and legs on the monster, and go for the tail on monsters that can have their tail cut off. Additionally sharpen whenever you drop below green sharpness because even the 'standard' yellow sharpness does reduced damage.

Dual Blades rely on your superior mobility and fast attack speed to get around the monster; unlike other weapons it doesn't encourage waiting for openings, you're supposed to make/find your own small openings and chase down the monster while weaving out of its' attacks.


Wait there's a green bit to sharpness? I've been whetstoning it until it stops letting me and all it does is max out the yellow section.

I also didn't know the red flames was demon mode. I only ever trigger it when I strawberry float up trying to Spiderman off of Navi.

I have a lot to learn.

Karl wrote:Can't believe I got baited into expressing a political stance on hentai

Skarjo's Scary Stories...
User avatar
VlaSoul
Member
Joined in 2018
AKA: Vtheyoshi

PostRe: Monster Hunter (makes my willy) Rise - GOTY OUT NOW (PC Early 2022)
by VlaSoul » Wed May 05, 2021 12:57 pm

Skarjo wrote:Wait there's a green bit to sharpness? I've been whetstoning it until it stops letting me and all it does is max out the yellow section.

I also didn't know the red flames was demon mode. I only ever trigger it when I strawberry float up trying to Spiderman off of Navi.

I have a lot to learn.

Ah my mistake, the green bit comes later when you make/upgrade to some stronger weapons. You'll be able to make some around 3 star village quests I think. Demon mode is essential, it gives you like a better dodge which is super useful for moving around.

Image
was Vtheyoshi on (S)ONM. V I was, V I remain
sig made by the venerable Krik
User avatar
Rik_
Member
Joined in 2015

PostRe: Monster Hunter (makes my willy) Rise - GOTY OUT NOW (PC Early 2022)
by Rik_ » Wed May 05, 2021 5:00 pm

I'd recommend looking up some weapon tutorials by Gaijin Hunter or Arekkz if you find you're still struggling with things - helps to know what exactly each weapon has in its arsenal since the in-game tutorials/notes don't always do the best job of explaining things. They also give a better indication of the sort of strategy/playstyle each weapon lends itself to.

I'd also recommend the long sword as a good weapon to learn the ropes with - it's got a lot of depth to it in terms of more advanced techniques, but you can easily get by with just the core moveset which involves building up a Spirit meter with regular attacks, using ZR for Spirit combos that use the bar up, and increasing your power level by pulling off a big finisher at the end of the ZR combo. It's a good mix of mobility and power, and there's plenty of extra stuff you can learn with it as you get more familiar. (it's also very flashy and fun to use lol)

PSN - Rik2209
Switch - SW-7686-7983-2581
Discord - rik#3968
User avatar
Godzilla
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Monster Hunter (makes my willy) Rise - GOTY OUT NOW (PC Early 2022)
by Godzilla » Wed May 05, 2021 9:23 pm

I'm moving towards hunter rank 100. Over 100 hours in the game on my switch lite. A very playable game and it runs so well ok the switch.

Playing exclusively online too, really good fun helping out randoms and doing rampages. No one seems to use traps or bombs though, back in MHW it was almost essential to use them when the monster retreated and was sleeping trying to recover.

Wish my image sig would work
User avatar
HaruKazuhira
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: The Dandelion, Balduq City

PostRe: Monster Hunter (makes my willy) Rise - GOTY OUT NOW (PC Early 2022)
by HaruKazuhira » Wed May 05, 2021 11:24 pm

Hunted Teostra last night which unlocked my HR cap to max. The game still feels so fresh to me with no signs of burning out at all and I'm around 140 hours. Might try picking up another wep soon but I want to focus on collecting and upgrading every SnS first.

User avatar
Jezo
Member
Joined in 2015
AKA: Jezo
Contact:

PostRe: Monster Hunter (makes my willy) Rise - GOTY OUT NOW (PC Early 2022)
by Jezo » Thu May 06, 2021 8:26 am

Godzilla wrote:I'm moving towards hunter rank 100. Over 100 hours in the game on my switch lite.

How do you rank up so quickly!?

Godzilla wrote:Playing exclusively online too, really good fun helping out randoms and doing rampages.

Ah I see

User avatar
OrangeRKN
SONM & Cake Sec.
SONM & Cake Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: Monster Hunter (makes my willy) Rise - GOTY OUT NOW (PC Early 2022)
by OrangeRKN » Thu May 06, 2021 9:24 am

:lol:

I'm like 85 hours in and HR24. Been a mix of solo 2/3 player with a couple of others so we have been keeping pace. About 10 hours per rank until unlocking the limit seemed pretty good!

Image
Image
orkn.uk - @OrangeRakoon - Top 5 Games of 2020 - SW-6533-2461-3235
User avatar
Hexx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Monster Hunter (makes my willy) Rise - GOTY OUT NOW (PC Early 2022)
by Hexx » Thu May 06, 2021 10:48 am

Jezo wrote:
Godzilla wrote:I'm moving towards hunter rank 100. Over 100 hours in the game on my switch lite.

How do you rank up so quickly!?

Godzilla wrote:Playing exclusively online too, really good fun helping out randoms and doing rampages.

Ah I see


If you focus on high rank stuff and higher levels (especially if farming for gems) you can shoot up.

I went from 80 to 92 farming Naracgu for Tender gems

User avatar
HaruKazuhira
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: The Dandelion, Balduq City

PostRe: Monster Hunter (makes my willy) Rise - GOTY OUT NOW (PC Early 2022)
by HaruKazuhira » Thu May 06, 2021 7:53 pm

I've mostly been jumping into join requests quests now since I'm just trying to get materials and would rather help out other folks in the process doing it. Haven't done any of the apex monster quest yet since I plan to do that solo first. I now have a decent Crit Counter build I wanna test out with the new challenge quest too.

Also GH came across an ore farming method that bags you insane zenny. Might have to look into learning this. Worth watching his previous Zenny method which tells you about the skills you need to make It more effective. But that one seems more longer. I like that this one is snappier.


User avatar
Skarjo
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Monster Hunter (makes my willy) Rise - GOTY OUT NOW (PC Early 2022)
by Skarjo » Mon May 10, 2021 1:05 pm

Ok apparently I was playing this really wrong.

Apparently you're meant to focus on the Village quests, not try and blunt force your way through the Hub quests alone.

This game is A LOT easier than I was making it.

Karl wrote:Can't believe I got baited into expressing a political stance on hentai

Skarjo's Scary Stories...
User avatar
OrangeRKN
SONM & Cake Sec.
SONM & Cake Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: Monster Hunter (makes my willy) Rise - GOTY OUT NOW (PC Early 2022)
by OrangeRKN » Mon May 10, 2021 1:31 pm

Yes :lol:

Hub quests are significantly harder than village at the same rank, village is meant to be where you first spend your time (although the game does allow for people who just want to jump straight into multiplayer). Hub can absolutely be solo'd but is the side built for multiplayer. You should probably aim to be finishing the village story as you hit HR4 in the hub.

Image
Image
orkn.uk - @OrangeRakoon - Top 5 Games of 2020 - SW-6533-2461-3235
User avatar
Skarjo
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Monster Hunter (makes my willy) Rise - GOTY OUT NOW (PC Early 2022)
by Skarjo » Mon May 10, 2021 1:41 pm

Everyone told me there was a really steep learning curve! I thought I was just gooseberry fool, didn't realise I was trying to solo 4 player missions with the starter equipment.

:oops:

Karl wrote:Can't believe I got baited into expressing a political stance on hentai

Skarjo's Scary Stories...
User avatar
Rubix
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Bristol
Contact:

PostRe: Monster Hunter (makes my willy) Rise - GOTY OUT NOW (PC Early 2022)
by Rubix » Mon May 10, 2021 1:44 pm

Skarjo wrote:Everyone told me there was a really steep learning curve! I thought I was just gooseberry fool, didn't realise I was trying to solo 4 player missions with the starter equipment.

:oops:



Don’t threat, you are not alone with this.

PLAY | Monster Hunter Rise, Nier Replicant ver.1.22474487139
WATCH | Taskmaster [S11]
READ | [k] I'll be there for you, [a] The Man With No Face
User avatar
OrangeRKN
SONM & Cake Sec.
SONM & Cake Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: Monster Hunter (makes my willy) Rise - GOTY OUT NOW (PC Early 2022)
by OrangeRKN » Mon May 10, 2021 1:56 pm

Skarjo wrote:Everyone told me there was a really steep learning curve! I thought I was just gooseberry fool, didn't realise I was trying to solo 4 player missions with the starter equipment.


To be fair the monster health is adjusted depending on the number of players so technically you were still trying solo missions, not 4 player missions ;)

Image
Image
orkn.uk - @OrangeRakoon - Top 5 Games of 2020 - SW-6533-2461-3235
User avatar
Mafro
Moderator
Joined in 2008
AKA: DAT MAF
Contact:

PostRe: Monster Hunter (makes my willy) Rise - GOTY OUT NOW (PC Early 2022)
by Mafro » Mon May 10, 2021 2:02 pm

Skarjo wrote:Ok apparently I was playing this really wrong.

Apparently you're meant to focus on the Village quests, not try and blunt force your way through the Hub quests alone.

This game is A LOT easier than I was making it.

strawberry floating hell.

HSH28 wrote:Assmung you ever get one that is.

Blog | Twitter
User avatar
Rik_
Member
Joined in 2015

PostRe: Monster Hunter (makes my willy) Rise - GOTY OUT NOW (PC Early 2022)
by Rik_ » Mon May 10, 2021 2:11 pm

Ngl solo hub quests do seem like they're harder/less adjusted than in past games, especially the rampage quests. I did the Apex Arzuros urgent one last night and was just getting absolutely dicked on by the number of monsters it chucks at you. It's especially hard to mount a ballista or cannon when you can barely move for aerial monsters yeeting fireballs at you and the hunter-targeting ones smashing into the platform every five seconds. I do think they're a fun concept but clearly the hub ones aren't designed for solo hunters in the slightest, unless I'm just doing the placements for auto-turrets really badly.

In other news I am now in high rank, looking forward to getting some new switch skills (especially the alternate silkbind for IG so that it actually does something useful).

PSN - Rik2209
Switch - SW-7686-7983-2581
Discord - rik#3968

Return to “Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Cumberdanes, D_C, dmin, gamerforever, ITSMILNER, Kanbei, Met, Peter Crisp, Photek, SerialCeler, Tafdolphin and 180 guests