Movie News/Discussion Thread 2

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Ploiper
Member
Joined in 2018

PostRe: Movie News/Discussion Thread 2
by Ploiper » Thu May 02, 2019 11:42 pm

the director has tweeted out, assuming its really him, looks like it is though. they are changing the design of sonic. thank god for that. the fans backlash has worked.

:toot: :toot: :toot:
User avatar
Green Gecko
Treasurer
Joined in 2008
Location: Sussex
Contact:

PostRe: Movie News/Discussion Thread 2
by Green Gecko » Fri May 03, 2019 12:53 am

Of course it isn't. I've worked in visual effects, this gooseberry fool takes thousands of hours and millions of dollars. They're not going to be doubling their production costs on a film that's practically bombed pre-launch.

The kids will probably love it though. It might even be enjoyable in an awful sort of way. It would just be great if gaming properties stopped doing that.

I think detective pikahu might be alright though.

♥ gaems | t: @GRcade | FB: GRcadeUK | YT: GRcadeVideo | Twitch: GRcadeUK
Image
Image
User avatar
Alvin Flummux
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Wilmington, OH, USA
Contact:

PostRe: Movie News/Discussion Thread 2
by Alvin Flummux » Fri May 03, 2019 1:02 am

I actually want to see Sonic, even though it looks like popcorn trash. I grew up with the lil guy, I want to see him do well, and the design alteration should ensure at least an aesthetically pleasing end product.

User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Movie News/Discussion Thread 2
by Tomous » Fri May 03, 2019 1:27 am

Green Gecko wrote:Of course it isn't. I've worked in visual effects, this gooseberry fool takes thousands of hours and millions of dollars. They're not going to be doubling their production costs on a film that's practically bombed pre-launch.

The kids will probably love it though. It might even be enjoyable in an awful sort of way. It would just be great if gaming properties stopped doing that.

I think detective pikahu might be alright though.



Well it really was him and he said:

"The message is loud and clear... you aren't happy with the design & you want changes. It's going to happen."


Remains to be see the extent of the changes but that does sound pretty definite.

User avatar
Green Gecko
Treasurer
Joined in 2008
Location: Sussex
Contact:

PostRe: Movie News/Discussion Thread 2
by Green Gecko » Fri May 03, 2019 1:30 am

Well colour me surprised. I doubt they've completed half the scenes then.

♥ gaems | t: @GRcade | FB: GRcadeUK | YT: GRcadeVideo | Twitch: GRcadeUK
Image
Image
User avatar
Godzilla
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Movie News/Discussion Thread 2
by Godzilla » Fri May 03, 2019 11:42 am

John Wick 3 getting great reviews on twitter, also mentioning how great the dogs in it are.

Wish my image sig would work
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Movie News/Discussion Thread 2
by Moggy » Fri May 03, 2019 11:45 am

Tomous wrote:
Green Gecko wrote:Of course it isn't. I've worked in visual effects, this gooseberry fool takes thousands of hours and millions of dollars. They're not going to be doubling their production costs on a film that's practically bombed pre-launch.

The kids will probably love it though. It might even be enjoyable in an awful sort of way. It would just be great if gaming properties stopped doing that.

I think detective pikahu might be alright though.



Well it really was him and he said:

"The message is loud and clear... you aren't happy with the design & you want changes. It's going to happen."


Remains to be see the extent of the changes but that does sound pretty definite.


It's due for release on 7 November so it'll either be half hearted changes or they will have to change the release date.

And the look of Sonic isn't the problem. It's just one of the many many problems. :lol:

User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Movie News/Discussion Thread 2
by Tafdolphin » Fri May 03, 2019 11:47 am

Moggy wrote:
Tomous wrote:
Green Gecko wrote:Of course it isn't. I've worked in visual effects, this gooseberry fool takes thousands of hours and millions of dollars. They're not going to be doubling their production costs on a film that's practically bombed pre-launch.

The kids will probably love it though. It might even be enjoyable in an awful sort of way. It would just be great if gaming properties stopped doing that.

I think detective pikahu might be alright though.



Well it really was him and he said:

"The message is loud and clear... you aren't happy with the design & you want changes. It's going to happen."


Remains to be see the extent of the changes but that does sound pretty definite.


It's due for release on 7 November so it'll either be half hearted changes or they will have to change the release date.

And the look of Sonic isn't the problem. It's just one of the many many problems. :lol:


Gemini73 wrote:You really are just an obnoxious little toad.

Yikes
Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on
User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Movie News/Discussion Thread 2
by Preezy » Fri May 03, 2019 11:49 am

Worth it.

User avatar
Green Gecko
Treasurer
Joined in 2008
Location: Sussex
Contact:

PostRe: Movie News/Discussion Thread 2
by Green Gecko » Fri May 03, 2019 12:07 pm

Tafdolphin wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Tomous wrote:
Green Gecko wrote:Of course it isn't. I've worked in visual effects, this gooseberry fool takes thousands of hours and millions of dollars. They're not going to be doubling their production costs on a film that's practically bombed pre-launch.

The kids will probably love it though. It might even be enjoyable in an awful sort of way. It would just be great if gaming properties stopped doing that.

I think detective pikahu might be alright though.



Well it really was him and he said:

"The message is loud and clear... you aren't happy with the design & you want changes. It's going to happen."


Remains to be see the extent of the changes but that does sound pretty definite.


It's due for release on 7 November so it'll either be half hearted changes or they will have to change the release date.

And the look of Sonic isn't the problem. It's just one of the many many problems. :lol:


Having been stationed in soho in these dingy places, I do not envy them. At all. It's gruelling work.

Imagine having to do photoshop. But the same photoshop, thousands of times. You wrap up for the day and you've completed part of a scene for about 5 seconds. :dread:

And then your shots get checked by the producer.

♥ gaems | t: @GRcade | FB: GRcadeUK | YT: GRcadeVideo | Twitch: GRcadeUK
Image
Image
User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Movie News/Discussion Thread 2
by Preezy » Fri May 03, 2019 12:11 pm

That's the job though, isn't it? If you don't want to do that for a living....don't do that for a living.

User avatar
Frank
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Movie News/Discussion Thread 2
by Frank » Fri May 03, 2019 12:15 pm

I'm still wondering if it's all part of the marketing. Release a trailer with the crap Sonic, but actually make the film with the good Sonic, then when there's the official outrage they can just say "okay we've listened we're changing it" but not actually waste any more time :shifty:

All publicity is good publicity right

Image
User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Movie News/Discussion Thread 2
by Tafdolphin » Fri May 03, 2019 12:16 pm

Preezy wrote:That's the job though, isn't it? If you don't want to do that for a living....don't do that for a living.


What an incredibly reductive way to view the world.

Gemini73 wrote:You really are just an obnoxious little toad.

Yikes
Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on
User avatar
Dual
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Stool Bloke

PostRe: Movie News/Discussion Thread 2
by Dual » Fri May 03, 2019 12:18 pm

They should stick to their original design intent.

User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Movie News/Discussion Thread 2
by Preezy » Fri May 03, 2019 12:36 pm

Tafdolphin wrote:
Preezy wrote:That's the job though, isn't it? If you don't want to do that for a living....don't do that for a living.


What an incredibly reductive way to view the world.

Sure it is, but I'm a busy man. Nuance is for sissies.

User avatar
Green Gecko
Treasurer
Joined in 2008
Location: Sussex
Contact:

PostRe: Movie News/Discussion Thread 2
by Green Gecko » Fri May 03, 2019 1:08 pm

Preezy wrote:
Tafdolphin wrote:
Preezy wrote:That's the job though, isn't it? If you don't want to do that for a living....don't do that for a living.


What an incredibly reductive way to view the world.

Sure it is, but I'm a busy man. Nuance is for sissies.

Dude, you definitely don't want to do it if you're not getting paid!

Overwork, unpaid work, unpaid overtime and general employment abuse are endemic in the visual effects industry, and for that the entire media sector. Yet producers and studios and audiences demand it. Everybody gets creamed.

At lot of it is done overseas now, which is driving film and television jobs out of the country. And it's not to do with lack of revenue or people daring to do the wrong jobs.

♥ gaems | t: @GRcade | FB: GRcadeUK | YT: GRcadeVideo | Twitch: GRcadeUK
Image
Image
User avatar
Rex Kramer
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Movie News/Discussion Thread 2
by Rex Kramer » Fri May 03, 2019 1:10 pm

Maybe don't make it gooseberry fool in the first place?

User avatar
Green Gecko
Treasurer
Joined in 2008
Location: Sussex
Contact:

PostRe: Movie News/Discussion Thread 2
by Green Gecko » Fri May 03, 2019 10:21 pm

That's the guys point. I doubt any visual effects artists were responsible for the design; concept/character artists were, under the purview of a committee of some sort. ("Nope, go back and draw that again. And again. It's still not right. AH YES THAT'S THE MODERN SONIC WE'RE AFTER!!") VFX people just make sure gooseberry fool fits into the scene, composited in convincingly (i.e. mesh together layers cos obviously the basic renders don't fit into the natural lighting) and adjust levels and stuff, basically moving Photoshop composition. Not animation or character design stuff; you design next to nothing as a VFX artist. You blend everything together.

My point is this shitshow happened way earlier in the process, could have been avoided with better focus grouping/research, before the other 90% of the manhours got put in. Those poor strawberry floats have to do all that stuff all over again. It's their work being repeated; not the script writers, the director, the camera operators, sound recordists, riggers, gaffers, lighting etc etc Probably with little to no reward.

Basically the 10-30% strawberry floated the other 70% that actually make the film and they've got 6 months to repeat it. :dread:

♥ gaems | t: @GRcade | FB: GRcadeUK | YT: GRcadeVideo | Twitch: GRcadeUK
Image
Image
User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: Movie News/Discussion Thread 2
by Lagamorph » Fri May 03, 2019 11:46 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if an alternative model has been getting worked on since the initial leaks a month or two ago, just incase the trailer got a reaction like this.

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Green Gecko
Treasurer
Joined in 2008
Location: Sussex
Contact:

PostRe: Movie News/Discussion Thread 2
by Green Gecko » Sat May 04, 2019 1:37 am

I do kinda suspect that. Made a few different models... But the suits aren't gonna bet money on contingency like that. They'll be like, "my bad, get to work boys"

Production team: :dread: "we knew this would happen".

♥ gaems | t: @GRcade | FB: GRcadeUK | YT: GRcadeVideo | Twitch: GRcadeUK
Image
Image

Return to “Stuff”