Movie News/Discussion Thread 2

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Movie News/Discussion Thread 2 (Ghostbusters IV: A new hope)
by Jenuall » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:23 pm

I went in with very low expectations based on the hammering it received on release and found it to be enjoyable enough, certainly there are far worse examples of film making out there.

strawberry floating tragedy that the already wonky reputation of the Ghostbusters franchise was further harmed by it though. The studio should have just let them leave it alone like everyone involved seemed to want to after the first one.

ImageImage
User avatar
Wedgie
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Movie News/Discussion Thread 2 (Ghostbusters IV: A new hope)
by Wedgie » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:01 pm

Why does she have the right to be pissed off? It's not like that the reboot Ghostbusters film have any real links to the originals. Hell it's in a different universe.

This is a direct sequel to the originals. Blame the writers/director for not linking the reboot to the originals.

Pipe down, woman. Nobody like a whiney loser.

Image

Denster wrote:My phone messaged me yesterday after i'd encouraged him to download and play the RESi demo.


Super Intelligent Phones Are Here!!!! We are dooooomed!
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Movie News/Discussion Thread 2 (Ghostbusters IV: A new hope)
by Moggy » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:03 pm

Wedgie wrote:Pipe down, woman.


Image

User avatar
Wedgie
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Movie News/Discussion Thread 2 (Ghostbusters IV: A new hope)
by Wedgie » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:42 pm

Moggy wrote:
Wedgie wrote:Pipe down, woman.


Image


What? You want me to call her a man?

Don’t be so sexist.

Image

Denster wrote:My phone messaged me yesterday after i'd encouraged him to download and play the RESi demo.


Super Intelligent Phones Are Here!!!! We are dooooomed!
User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Movie News/Discussion Thread 2 (Ghostbusters IV: A new hope)
by Tafdolphin » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:44 am

Wedgie wrote:Why does she have the right to be pissed off? It's not like that the reboot Ghostbusters film have any real links to the originals. Hell it's in a different universe.

This is a direct sequel to the originals. Blame the writers/director for not linking the reboot to the originals.

Pipe down, woman. Nobody like a whiney loser.


Firstly: gooseberry fool tier troll attempt. 2/10 would not bang.

Second:

To say that I have mixed feelings about this is an understatement. On one hand, you’re rewarding a white male director whose last five movies bombed the keys to a hugely valuable franchise mostly because he’s the son of the guy who directed those first two Ghostbusters movies. And yes, unintentional or not, you’re essentially rewarding the specific demographics who reacted in the very worst way to the 2016 Ghostbusters reboot with the thing they claimed to want instead of the… horrors… all-female sci-fi comedy. And yet, we have only ourselves to blame. Studios aren’t charities and they tend to want movies that attract moviegoers and make money.


https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmende ... 38df905942

Gemini73 wrote:Yes your are a sanctimonious twat

Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Movie News/Discussion Thread 2 (Ghostbusters IV: A new hope)
by Moggy » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:59 am

Tafdolphin wrote:Second:

To say that I have mixed feelings about this is an understatement. On one hand, you’re rewarding a white male director whose last five movies bombed the keys to a hugely valuable franchise mostly because he’s the son of the guy who directed those first two Ghostbusters movies. And yes, unintentional or not, you’re essentially rewarding the specific demographics who reacted in the very worst way to the 2016 Ghostbusters reboot with the thing they claimed to want instead of the… horrors… all-female sci-fi comedy. And yet, we have only ourselves to blame. Studios aren’t charities and they tend to want movies that attract moviegoers and make money.


https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmende ... 38df905942


She is wrong there.

Firstly her Ghostbusters movie was directed by a white male director. I guess Feig didn't have any major flops, but does Reitman? His last 5 movies were The Front Runner, Tully, Men, Women & Children, Labor Day and Young Adult. Which of those makes him less qualified to direct a Ghostbuster movies than Feig's Bridesmaids, The Heat or Spy?

Secondly her Ghostbusters movie wasn't gooseberry fool because it was an all-female sci-fi comedy (would you even class it as sci-fi?) but because it was gooseberry fool.

User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Movie News/Discussion Thread 2 (Ghostbusters IV: A new hope)
by Tafdolphin » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:38 am

Moggy wrote:
Tafdolphin wrote:Second:

To say that I have mixed feelings about this is an understatement. On one hand, you’re rewarding a white male director whose last five movies bombed the keys to a hugely valuable franchise mostly because he’s the son of the guy who directed those first two Ghostbusters movies. And yes, unintentional or not, you’re essentially rewarding the specific demographics who reacted in the very worst way to the 2016 Ghostbusters reboot with the thing they claimed to want instead of the… horrors… all-female sci-fi comedy. And yet, we have only ourselves to blame. Studios aren’t charities and they tend to want movies that attract moviegoers and make money.


https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmende ... 38df905942


She is wrong there.

Firstly her Ghostbusters movie was directed by a white male director. I guess Feig didn't have any major flops, but does Reitman? His last 5 movies were The Front Runner, Tully, Men, Women & Children, Labor Day and Young Adult. Which of those makes him less qualified to direct a Ghostbuster movies than Feig's Bridesmaids, The Heat or Spy?

Secondly her Ghostbusters movie wasn't gooseberry fool because it was an all-female sci-fi comedy (would you even class it as sci-fi?) but because it was gooseberry fool.


Firstly, that's a quote from a Forbes journalist.

Second, thirdly whatever: the point is not that a white man can no longer direct Ghostbusters. The point is that the previous white man was and is one of the highest grossing comedy directors of his day who wanted to align the franchise with his moneymaking formula. For a studio, that's an easy sell.

Landis is a fourth rate director with a famous dad, whose only film to make a decent profit had a bankable star like Charlize Theron involved. What reason would the studio have to give him the keys to one of the most recognisable franchises on earth besides, you know, his famous dad having done the first?

Secondly her Ghostbusters movie wasn't gooseberry fool because it was an all-female sci-fi comedy (would you even class it as sci-fi?) but because it was gooseberry fool.


I guess we're lucky that all the discourse around it followed exactly that point!

Except it didn't. It was an average film (or even a gooseberry fool film, that's not the point) that was maligned before release because it took a bunch of manbabies' favourite film and, gosh, put women in decisive roles. That was the argument. It wasn't about the critical merit or the loose narrative, it was about the fact that there were women where once there were men. And that's bad.

This film seems a direct response to this. Even if it isn't, the optics of pandering to a bunch of abusive children is strawberry floating terrible. "Here, here's the Ghostbusters you remember! The director's last name is even the same, please come and see it!"

That's the issue.

Who knows, this film could be great. Again, the quality or lack thereof of this new film and the 2016 one is not the point at all.

Gemini73 wrote:Yes your are a sanctimonious twat

Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Movie News/Discussion Thread 2 (Ghostbusters IV: A new hope)
by Moggy » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:57 am

This would have all been solved if Feig had just made a decent Ghostbusters movie.

User avatar
Wedgie
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Movie News/Discussion Thread 2 (Ghostbusters IV: A new hope)
by Wedgie » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:42 pm

Moggy wrote:This would have all been solved if Feig had just made a decent Ghostbusters movie.


This.

And trolling? How? My points were valid.

Fieg chose to ignore the original universe and decided to move to a new universe. The actress blasted the planned movie cos it didn't link to her movie. Where was the link to old movies' universe? She can't have it her way.

I went in and watch it with an open mind and decided it was rubbish. Not because of the all woman ghostbusters. The humour, script and everything with it was rubbish.

And it would be slightly better if Melissa McCarthy didn't fall back on her foul-mouth, gross out stereotype. The only ghostbuster I like is the maniac blonde scientist. The others were meh.

The only decent thing about the film was the introduction. But the rest sucks. Can you imagine the uproar if the cast was male and the Hemsworth character were female? The feminist rage would shook the world apart.

Image

Denster wrote:My phone messaged me yesterday after i'd encouraged him to download and play the RESi demo.


Super Intelligent Phones Are Here!!!! We are dooooomed!
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Movie News/Discussion Thread 2 (Ghostbusters IV: A new hope)
by Moggy » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:06 pm

Wedgie wrote:
Moggy wrote:This would have all been solved if Feig had just made a decent Ghostbusters movie.


This.

And trolling? How? My points were valid.

Fieg chose to ignore the original universe and decided to move to a new universe. The actress blasted the planned movie cos it didn't link to her movie. Where was the link to old movies' universe? She can't have it her way.

I went in and watch it with an open mind and decided it was rubbish. Not because of the all woman ghostbusters. The humour, script and everything with it was rubbish.

And it would be slightly better if Melissa McCarthy didn't fall back on her foul-mouth, gross out stereotype. The only ghostbuster I like is the maniac blonde scientist. The others were meh.

The only decent thing about the film was the introduction. But the rest sucks. Can you imagine the uproar if the cast was male and the Hemsworth character were female? The feminist rage would shook the world apart.


I didn’t care about the Hemsworth character being male, I cared more that he was just too stupid. Unbelievably stupid.

The biggest problem with diversity in Ghostbusters 2016 wasn’t that they gender swapped roles but that they had three brilliant white scientists and one stereotypical “sassy” black female working in a menial job. If the plan was to be “woke” they could have given the black lady a masters degree.

User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Movie News/Discussion Thread 2 (Ghostbusters IV: A new hope)
by Tafdolphin » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:14 pm

I mean, if 'pipe down woman' wasn't a troll you've got bigger problems than a gooseberry fool Ghostbusters movie! :slol:

EDIT: Jones' role was indeed pretty strawberry floating ill-considered. Best bit, I'm pretty sure the novelisation mentions she's got a masters in engineering but it didn't make it into the movie. :dread:

Also, for those in the cheap seats;

Tafdolphin wrote:Who knows, this film could be great. Again, the quality or lack thereof of this new film and the 2016 one is not the point at all.

Gemini73 wrote:Yes your are a sanctimonious twat

Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on
User avatar
Albear
Moderator
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Movie News/Discussion Thread 2 (Ghostbusters IV: A new hope)
by Albear » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:45 pm

I think the quality of thelast film does matter though.

If the last one was great and they then decided to change it all up i could see your point.

But it was rubbish, so dont blame them.

User avatar
Wedgie
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Movie News/Discussion Thread 2 (Ghostbusters IV: A new hope)
by Wedgie » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:57 pm

Moggy wrote:
Wedgie wrote:
Moggy wrote:This would have all been solved if Feig had just made a decent Ghostbusters movie.


This.

And trolling? How? My points were valid.

Fieg chose to ignore the original universe and decided to move to a new universe. The actress blasted the planned movie cos it didn't link to her movie. Where was the link to old movies' universe? She can't have it her way.

I went in and watch it with an open mind and decided it was rubbish. Not because of the all woman ghostbusters. The humour, script and everything with it was rubbish.

And it would be slightly better if Melissa McCarthy didn't fall back on her foul-mouth, gross out stereotype. The only ghostbuster I like is the maniac blonde scientist. The others were meh.

The only decent thing about the film was the introduction. But the rest sucks. Can you imagine the uproar if the cast was male and the Hemsworth character were female? The feminist rage would shook the world apart.


I didn’t care about the Hemsworth character being male, I cared more that he was just too stupid. Unbelievably stupid.

The biggest problem with diversity in Ghostbusters 2016 wasn’t that they gender swapped roles but that they had three brilliant white scientists and one stereotypical “sassy” black female working in a menial job. If the plan was to be “woke” they could have given the black lady a masters degree.


Exactly. Imagine they did that for a woman. All hot, but totally stupid. There would be outrage.

“Pipe down, woman” is trolling? How? It’s no different from “shut up, woman/man?”

Image

Denster wrote:My phone messaged me yesterday after i'd encouraged him to download and play the RESi demo.


Super Intelligent Phones Are Here!!!! We are dooooomed!
User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Movie News/Discussion Thread 2 (Ghostbusters IV: A new hope)
by Tafdolphin » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:20 pm

Because of the underlying context of continuing gender inequality and the historic trend of portraying angry women as somehow abnormal and/or mentally ill, not to mention that particular phrase's common usage to enact such tropes.

That's how.

Image

Gemini73 wrote:Yes your are a sanctimonious twat

Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on
User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009
Location: Fiorina 161

PostRe: Movie News/Discussion Thread 2 (Ghostbusters IV: A new hope)
by Preezy » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:56 pm

Christ woman, put a sock in it.

User avatar
Denster
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Movie News/Discussion Thread 2 (Ghostbusters IV: A new hope)
by Denster » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:36 pm

He's clearly manstruating.

User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Movie News/Discussion Thread 2 (Ghostbusters IV: A new hope)
by Tafdolphin » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:33 pm

There's a line in Man of the Moment hbomberguy's video response to Paul '@prisonplanet' Watson where...actually no. Let me just quote it:



(skip to 0.51 for the relevant point)

Don't know why I felt the need to post that. Strange.

Gemini73 wrote:Yes your are a sanctimonious twat

Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on
User avatar
Wedgie
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Movie News/Discussion Thread 2 (Ghostbusters IV: A new hope)
by Wedgie » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:16 pm

Tafdolphin wrote:Because of the underlying context of continuing gender inequality and the historic trend of portraying angry women as somehow abnormal and/or mentally ill, not to mention that particular phrase's common usage to enact such tropes.

That's how.

Image



So by right, you should be disgusted that a man portrayed as a sex object, along with his intelligence being lower than a wooden table and got the job as a receptionist just because of his looks?

Jog on feminist wannabe.

Image

Denster wrote:My phone messaged me yesterday after i'd encouraged him to download and play the RESi demo.


Super Intelligent Phones Are Here!!!! We are dooooomed!
User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Movie News/Discussion Thread 2 (Ghostbusters IV: A new hope)
by Tafdolphin » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:30 pm

Wedgie wrote:So by right, you should be disgusted that a man portrayed as a sex object, along with his intelligence being lower than a wooden table and got the job as a receptionist just because of his looks?

Jog on feminist wannabe.


Have men historically been portrayed as sex objects, objectified for nothing but their looks, a practice which has led to a culture-wide view of them as the lesser sex, good only for eye candy and as characters defined entirely by their relationship to women?

No.

There's a reason it's called gender inequality.

So in short: no. You get strawberry floated, you casually misogynistic, culturally ignorant wannabe troll. strawberry floating educate yourself, and be strawberry floating better.

:msgreen:

Last edited by Tafdolphin on Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Gemini73 wrote:Yes your are a sanctimonious twat

Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on
User avatar
Rubix
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Bristol
Contact:

PostRe: Movie News/Discussion Thread 2 (Ghostbusters IV: A new hope)
by Rubix » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:31 pm

:wub: That ghostbusters teaser

PLAY | PS4: Spyro 2 | PSVR Nothing | Switch Octopath Traveller
WATCH | New Girl S1, GOT S2, Angel S1
READ | HP and the prisoner of azkaban

Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: abcd, Albear, Bing [Bot], Blue Eyes, Cuttooth, Garth, Lagamorph, Lex-Man, Met, more heat than light, PaperMacheMario, Parksey, Peter Crisp, Preezy, Qikz, Rax, Saint of Killers, Skarjo and 46 guests