Star Trek Discovery

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Star Trek Discovery
by Tafdolphin » Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:08 pm

Lagamorph wrote:
Rudolphin wrote:Discovery is ace and you lot want something that will never again exist, the idea of which is already distorted by nostalgia

fight me

Nah.

Discovery is serviceable Sci-Fi but isn't good Star Trek.
Star Trek is supposed to portray a generally positive and optimistic outcome for the future, Discovery is the opposite of that. And despite promises that lessons would be learned, things would be different going forward and actual apologies for how Season 1 had gone, it's looking like Season 3 will be more of the same grimdark setting that we've seen in almost every sci-fi series since Battlestar Galactica.


The new films didn't

---------------------------
Games wot I worked on:
Night Call: Out now!
Rip Them Off: Out now!
Chinatown Detective Agency: 2021!
t: @Tafdolphin | Twitch: Tafdolphin
User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: Star Trek Discovery
by Lagamorph » Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:10 pm

Rudolphin wrote:
Lagamorph wrote:
Rudolphin wrote:Discovery is ace and you lot want something that will never again exist, the idea of which is already distorted by nostalgia

fight me

Nah.

Discovery is serviceable Sci-Fi but isn't good Star Trek.
Star Trek is supposed to portray a generally positive and optimistic outcome for the future, Discovery is the opposite of that. And despite promises that lessons would be learned, things would be different going forward and actual apologies for how Season 1 had gone, it's looking like Season 3 will be more of the same grimdark setting that we've seen in almost every sci-fi series since Battlestar Galactica.


The new films didn't

They were in a completely different timeline which excuses the differences there. Discovery is supposed to be in the same timeline as the other TV series.
And even then they were still more hopeful/optimistic than Discovery has ever gotten

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Star Trek Discovery
by Peter Crisp » Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:11 pm

Rudolphin wrote:Discovery is ace and you lot want something that will never again exist, the idea of which is already distorted by nostalgia

fight me


I'm not sure that's true.
The Orville is pretty much TNG with a few jokes thrown in (the jokes are toned down as the show goes on and but are still about) and shows that a brighter outlook for the future is still viable.
I think a more upbeat sci-fi show will always exist and even DS9 which had some pretty heavy stories overall had a positive outlook for the future.

Yes, doom and gloom seem to be the order of the day at them moment but good stories set in a more positive outlook for the future will always have a place.

jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Star Trek Discovery
by Tafdolphin » Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:11 pm

Lagamorph wrote:
Rudolphin wrote:
Lagamorph wrote:
Rudolphin wrote:Discovery is ace and you lot want something that will never again exist, the idea of which is already distorted by nostalgia

fight me

Nah.

Discovery is serviceable Sci-Fi but isn't good Star Trek.
Star Trek is supposed to portray a generally positive and optimistic outcome for the future, Discovery is the opposite of that. And despite promises that lessons would be learned, things would be different going forward and actual apologies for how Season 1 had gone, it's looking like Season 3 will be more of the same grimdark setting that we've seen in almost every sci-fi series since Battlestar Galactica.


The new films didn't

They were in a completely different timeline which excuses the differences there. Discovery is supposed to be in the same timeline as the other TV series.
And even then they were still more hopeful/optimistic than Discovery has ever gotten


...and you've lost me.

There's more than enough to criticise about Disco, it's certainly got its flaws as a piece of entertainment media, but "Not My Star Trek" is poppycock.

---------------------------
Games wot I worked on:
Night Call: Out now!
Rip Them Off: Out now!
Chinatown Detective Agency: 2021!
t: @Tafdolphin | Twitch: Tafdolphin
User avatar
Monkey Man
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Star Trek Discovery
by Monkey Man » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:26 pm



Returns 15th October.

Image
User avatar
Hexx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Star Trek Discovery
by Hexx » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:06 pm

Burnham going to found the New Federation :fp:

User avatar
Squinty
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Norn Oirland

PostRe: Star Trek Discovery
by Squinty » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:09 pm

I like the new hairstyle :wub:

User avatar
Mafro
Moderator
Joined in 2008
AKA: DAT MAF
Contact:

PostRe: Star Trek Discovery
by Mafro » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:09 pm

Another whole series to make Hexx seethe.

HSH28 wrote:Assmung you ever get one that is.

Blog | Twitter
User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Star Trek Discovery
by Peter Crisp » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:15 pm

Hexx wrote:Burnham going to found the New Federation :fp:


Headquartered in Luton obviously.

jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
User avatar
Karl_
Dr. Nyaaa~!
Dr. Nyaaa~!
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Star Trek Discovery
by Karl_ » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:28 pm

Hexxposting is the best thing about any new Star Trek series.

User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Star Trek Discovery
by Peter Crisp » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:39 pm

So, this is set after the era of the time agents so they're either going to have to have almost godlike technology or almost bugger all in a future helscape.

jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
User avatar
Hexx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Star Trek Discovery
by Hexx » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:09 am

Too mean :cry: :cry:

User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Star Trek Discovery
by Tafdolphin » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:10 am



New trailer

I...huh. I really don't like the "The Federation was a perfect entity that must be resurrected as opposed to something new and better coming out of the ashes" angle. At all. And Burnham being cast as an almost religious zealot.

HUM.

---------------------------
Games wot I worked on:
Night Call: Out now!
Rip Them Off: Out now!
Chinatown Detective Agency: 2021!
t: @Tafdolphin | Twitch: Tafdolphin
User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Star Trek Discovery
by Peter Crisp » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:19 am

I've said it before but while I liked the show it wasn't very Star Treky (I hope that makes sense) and I think could have worked better as a standalone series without the Trek baggage and people nitpicking about lore.
I'm also still not a fan of swearing, sexual scenes and needless violence in Trek.
Sure DS9 had violence and sexual scenes but they were always infrequent and part of a story and not just constant.

Trek is supposed to be at least somewhat family viewing which I can't say for Discovery or Picard.

A shame really.

Last edited by Peter Crisp on Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
User avatar
Imrahil
Member
Joined in 2013
Location: Location, Location

PostRe: Star Trek Discovery
by Imrahil » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:21 am

Making things "dark and edgy!" seems to be the go-to process for most things these days.

User avatar
Dual
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Star Trek Discovery
by Dual » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:00 am

Can't wait. That new hairstyle is [FIREEMOJI] [FIREEMOJI]

User avatar
Monkey Man
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Star Trek Discovery
by Monkey Man » Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:17 am



Opening 2 minutes of the new season which starts next Friday.

Image
User avatar
Monkey Man
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Star Trek Discovery
by Monkey Man » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:43 am

1st episode of Season 3 is out now online. Friday on Netflix UK.

Image
User avatar
Sandy
Member
Joined in 2018
AKA: Akuma / Dormin
Location: Surrey, darling

PostRe: Star Trek Discovery
by Sandy » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:27 am

Tafdolphin wrote:
Lagamorph wrote:And even then they were still more hopeful/optimistic than Discovery has ever gotten


...and you've lost me.

There's more than enough to criticise about Disco, it's certainly got its flaws as a piece of entertainment media, but "Not My Star Trek" is poppycock.


Laga is saying that the Star Trek films are in a different universe than the TV series is. This was to do with some time travel mojo at the start of the film and it created a "did happen / didn't happen" fork. The films take one fork and the TV series took the other fork.

That said, I never understand why people just want media to remain the same forever without ever changing. If that's the case just watch the series that fits your preference over and over.

Same with people that moan about film adaptation or TV adaptation of a book not being exactly like the book. Why would you want that? You've read the strawberry floating book so you know what happens.

User avatar
Xeno
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Star Trek Discovery
by Xeno » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:40 pm

Seems Disco got another season. They will start filming in November.

I was not a fan of the first episode. Just seemed meh and all the action did bugger all for me, I was more interested in the cat.


Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: <]:^D, Bunni, DayumChris, Dowbocop, Frank, Garth, Green Gecko, Grumpy David, Neo Cortex, OrangeRKN, Tineash and 222 guests