NickSCFC presents: the Smart TV thread

Fed up talking videogames? Why?

Which smart TV platform do you use/plan to use?

Android TV (Sony, Philips, Toshiba, Sharp, Chromecast, NVidia)
4
16%
Tizen (Samsung)
3
12%
tvOS (Apple TV)
0
No votes
WebOS (LG)
4
16%
Firefox OS (Panasonic)
2
8%
Fire TV (Amazon)
3
12%
Kodi
2
8%
Roku (Hitachi, JVC)
1
4%
PlayStation
3
12%
Xbox
3
12%
None
0
No votes
 
Total votes: 25
User avatar
Ironhide
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Autobot City

PostRe: NickSCFC presents: the Smart TV thread
by Ironhide » Wed May 09, 2018 3:16 pm

Android is a dogshit OS.

Image
User avatar
NickSCFC
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: NickSCFC presents: the Smart TV thread
by NickSCFC » Wed May 09, 2018 3:23 pm

Ironhide wrote:Android is a dogshit OS.


Hopefully they can fix the performance issues, it works brilliantly on Shield TV, on a mid-range Bravia not so much.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/05/0 ... ndroid-tv/

Android P is going to introduce a host of changes that should see OS's speed and reliability improve on the kind of hardware the vast majority of Android TV users actually are stuck with (news flash: most people don't own $200 Shield TVs).

Google is so confident in these performance improvements that it's actively working to get them backported into Oreo, so that OEMs can distribute maintenance updates to their devices without having to wait for a full-on update to P. Given how slow and rarely Android TV updates tend to come, that's probably a good idea.

The Android TV team is also working with its partners to develop a variety of "turnkey" software and hardware configurations so as to promote a more consistent experience for end users, and also to speed up OS updates.

Image
User avatar
Ironhide
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Autobot City

PostRe: NickSCFC presents: the Smart TV thread
by Ironhide » Wed May 09, 2018 3:39 pm

I still can't believe how ridiculously slowly my TV starts up, it's like waiting for an old malware packed laptop to boot up.

I timed it the other day at just under 2 minutes from plugging it in to the program guide fully loading, I wouldn't mind if I hadn't paid over a grand for the TV - the TV itself is great in terms of picture quality but the user experience is abysmal.

Image
User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: NickSCFC presents: the Smart TV thread
by KK » Wed May 09, 2018 3:44 pm

It doesn't even work properly on a top of the range Bravia, either.

I've since turned off automatic updates, turned off a load of the background apps/services, and haven't touched it for well over a month. Bliss.

I'm not sure if the PS4 Pro offers YouTube in 60fps 4K though, so I may have to dive back in again to watch the Uefa Champions league final in Ultra HD.

Image
User avatar
Cheeky Devlin
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: The Dark And Lonely Regions, Where Nobody Goes.
Contact:

PostRe: NickSCFC presents: the Smart TV thread
by Cheeky Devlin » Wed May 09, 2018 3:50 pm

Our main TV is a 4K LG one. It's connected to our new Virgin Box and the Xbox One X, but they only get used for TV, Games and (Once I finally get some) 4K Blu-Rays.

All the integrated stuff is great. All the apps are fast and responsive, we get 4K HDR from Netflix and it's even got a decent Plex client so I don't need to mess about connecting HDDs to it to watch stuff I've downloaded. As long as my PC is on (Most of the time) I just open the Plex app, choose what I want and press play. Simple, easy and effective.

I much prefer having it all integrated as it's one less remote to worry about.

Check out some of our stuff!
Image Image Image

JOIN OUR MINECRAFT REALM HERE!
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
User avatar
NickSCFC
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: NickSCFC presents: the Smart TV thread
by NickSCFC » Wed May 09, 2018 3:57 pm

Ironhide wrote:I still can't believe how ridiculously slowly my TV starts up, it's like waiting for an old malware packed laptop to boot up.

I timed it the other day at just under 2 minutes from plugging it in to the program guide fully loading, I wouldn't mind if I hadn't paid over a grand for the TV - the TV itself is great in terms of picture quality but the user experience is abysmal.


Which model is this?

Image
User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: NickSCFC presents: the Smart TV thread
by KK » Wed May 09, 2018 4:07 pm

As Watchdog pointed out the other week, something like an Amazon stick, Apple TV or Xbox One/PS4 is still going to be supported 5 years from now, whereas the apps on your TV are going to gradually stop working or no longer be updated.

App developers know what they're getting on Apple TV or an Xbox because everyone is using the exact same OS, with roughly the same specs. With a TV it's all over the place.

Image
User avatar
NickSCFC
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: NickSCFC presents: the Smart TV thread
by NickSCFC » Wed May 09, 2018 4:12 pm

KK wrote:As Watchdog pointed out the other week, something like an Amazon stick, Apple TV or Xbox One/PS4 is still going to be supported 5 years from now, whereas the apps on your TV are going to gradually stop working or no longer be updated.

App developers know what they're getting on Apple TV or an Xbox because everyone is using the exact same OS, with roughly the same specs. With a TV it's all over the place.


Which operating systems were mentioned?

Outside of Sony (Android), Samsung (Tizen) and LG (WebOS) you're buying a dud.

Just like early smartphones with defunct systems like Symbian, BBOS, MeeGo and PalmOS.

Image
User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: NickSCFC presents: the Smart TV thread
by KK » Wed May 09, 2018 4:31 pm

The models looked like Samsung and Philips.

Image
User avatar
Ironhide
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Autobot City

PostRe: NickSCFC presents: the Smart TV thread
by Ironhide » Wed May 09, 2018 4:55 pm

NickSCFC wrote:
Ironhide wrote:I still can't believe how ridiculously slowly my TV starts up, it's like waiting for an old malware packed laptop to boot up.

I timed it the other day at just under 2 minutes from plugging it in to the program guide fully loading, I wouldn't mind if I hadn't paid over a grand for the TV - the TV itself is great in terms of picture quality but the user experience is abysmal.


Which model is this?


Bravia KD55XE9305

Image
User avatar
Ad7
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: NickSCFC presents: the Smart TV thread
by Ad7 » Wed May 09, 2018 5:49 pm

Sony tv in being gooseberry fool shocker. The Mrs had a bravia, it was strawberry floating awful.

Image
User avatar
Ironhide
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Autobot City

PostRe: NickSCFC presents: the Smart TV thread
by Ironhide » Wed May 09, 2018 6:06 pm

Its the first Sony TV I've ever had, it'll also be the last.

Image
User avatar
Ad7
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: NickSCFC presents: the Smart TV thread
by Ad7 » Wed May 09, 2018 6:27 pm

I swear everything Sony I've ever owned has been gooseberry fool, and I include all my PlayStations in that (ok not psone and vita, but the rest are flawed in some way).

Image
User avatar
BID0
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Essex

PostRe: NickSCFC presents: the Smart TV thread
by BID0 » Wed May 09, 2018 11:29 pm

Yeh you pay a premium for the brand but generally it's not very reliable and when it comes to software/operating systems... :dread:

User avatar
NickSCFC
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: NickSCFC presents: the Smart TV thread
by NickSCFC » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:14 pm

Philips have joined the Android TV club

https://androidcommunity.com/philips-to ... -20190103/

Image

Image

Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Finish.Last, Frank, Trelliz and 55 guests