Night In The Woods dev accused of sexual assault/rape EDIT: Dies of apparent suicide.

Anything to do with games at all.
User avatar
u ok santa xx
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: New York

PostRe: Night In The Woods dev, Skyrim composer, Gears 4 dev all accused of sexual assault/rape
by u ok santa xx » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:01 pm

Sandy wrote:Unless they really strawberry floated hated themselves and wanted months of constant abuse and threats, I doubt anyone would make this kind of claim unless they truely believed it.

All the claims are believable, you don't get to the top of the food chain by being a really nice stand-up human being.

I would imagine that if you were to get them tested, the majority of CEO's / company leaders would be psychopaths.


20% according to an Australian study

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/0 ... udy-finds/

User avatar
Snowballadeer
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: Lord's

PostRe: Night In The Woods dev, Skyrim composer, Gears 4 dev all accused of sexual assault/rape
by Snowballadeer » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:07 am

It’s easier to fire people for the good of the corporate organisation if you don’t care about the people in the first place.

User avatar
Fade
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: San Junipero

PostRe: Night In The Woods dev, Skyrim composer, Gears 4 dev all accused of sexual assault/rape
by Fade » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:32 am

Anyone watched ProJared's newest video?

I hope people learn from that and don't jump to conclusions again.

Image
User avatar
Walking in a Winter Winckleland
Technician
Joined in 2008
Location: Liverpool

PostRe: Night In The Woods dev, Skyrim composer, Gears 4 dev all accused of sexual assault/rape
by Walking in a Winter Winckleland » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:37 am

Fade wrote:Anyone watched ProJared's newest video?

I hope people learn from that and don't jump to conclusions again.

I'm not watching a 42 minute video about a YouTube personality. Give me the cliff notes version.

User avatar
Mafro
Moderator
Joined in 2008
AKA: DAT MAF
Contact:

PostRe: Night In The Woods dev, Skyrim composer, Gears 4 dev all accused of sexual assault/rape
by Mafro » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:49 am

:lol:

HSH28 wrote:Assmung you ever get one that is.

Blog | Twitter
User avatar
Festivus Maximus
Skeletor
Joined in 2009
AKA: Preezy

PostRe: Night In The Woods dev, Skyrim composer, Gears 4 dev all accused of sexual assault/rape
by Festivus Maximus » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:10 am

What's a ProJared?

User avatar
Rudolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Night In The Woods dev, Skyrim composer, Gears 4 dev all accused of sexual assault/rape
by Rudolphin » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:13 am

Fade wrote:Anyone watched ProJared's newest video?

I hope people learn from that and don't jump to conclusions again.


Because he said he didn't do it?

https://heavy.com/news/2019/08/projared-defense-video/

TL;dr Youtuber cheats on his wife with fan. Wife alleges he also shared nude photos with underage fans. Multiple, multiple fans confirm this.

4 months later, Youtuber posts an "I did nothing wrong." video while admitting he did swap nudes with fans in an 'unhealthy' manner but it wasn't predatory because, you know, he doesn't think it was.

Seems to me the conclusions that were jumped to were... Correct?!

EDIT: Just read some of his evidence. It's like something a kid would present as exculpatory.

Night Call: a game what I worked on. Out now!
t: @Tafdolphin | Twitch: Tafdolphin
jawafour
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: Night In The Woods dev, Skyrim composer, Gears 4 dev all accused of sexual assault/rape
by jawafour » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:45 am

Fade wrote:Anyone watched ProJared's newest video?

I hope people learn from that and don't jump to conclusions again.

I watched it; I used to enjoy his gaming vids and I wanted to hear his view about the accusations he'd faced over past months.

In my mind, the "photo stuff" he was involved in was seedy but it seems like he wasn't manipulative nor seeking the involvement of minors. The information from the people who made the accusations doesn't appear to add up although, of course, this opinion is based upon the evidence by ProJared. It's difficult for someone outside of the situation to have a solid viewpoint; who do you believe?

The resulting fallout does suggest that going down the road of sharing nude pics and associated chat with random people probably isn't a great idea.

User avatar
Festivus Maximus
Skeletor
Joined in 2009
AKA: Preezy

PostRe: Night In The Woods dev, Skyrim composer, Gears 4 dev all accused of sexual assault/rape
by Festivus Maximus » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:49 am

jawafour wrote:The resulting fallout does suggest that going down the road of sharing nude pics and associated chat with random people probably isn't a great idea.

Jawa the buzzkill spoiling everyone's fun again :roll: ;)

jawafour
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: Night In The Woods dev, Skyrim composer, Gears 4 dev all accused of sexual assault/rape
by jawafour » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:51 am

Preezy wrote:
jawafour wrote:The resulting fallout does suggest that going down the road of sharing nude pics and associated chat with random people probably isn't a great idea.

Jawa the buzzkill spoiling everyone's fun again :roll: ;)

No fun allowed etc.

User avatar
Rudolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Night In The Woods dev, Skyrim composer, Gears 4 dev all accused of sexual assault/rape
by Rudolphin » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:41 am

jawafour wrote:In my mind, the "photo stuff" he was involved in was seedy but it seems like he wasn't manipulative nor seeking the involvement of minors


I think you're right in that this is very much a 'who do you believe?' situation, and if pushed I'd probably agree that he wasn't actively seeking out minors. But he is guilty of manipulation I think simply due to the power imbalance of the situation. This is, let's face is, a celebrity exchanging nude photos with fans. Immediately this is crossing a line as both parties are not engaging in the situation from the same standpoint. He has an overwhelming power disparity over his fans and immediately any concepts of consent or willingness to engage go out of the window.

He should not have been engaging in the act of soliciting nude photos from people in thrall to the concept of him as a celebrity figure. This in itself is a form of manipulation as, regardless if he was actively using his status to obtain these photos, he was using his status to obtain these photos. If he was a random dude with 1000 followers this situation simply would not have occurred.

This is the issue with the vast majority of YouTube celebrities: fame comparable or exceeding the most famous 'offline' personalities is bestowed upon them without any of the safety nets more traditional celebrities receive such as PR people and agents. Hell, even Love Island contestants are given counselling and personal advisers when they leave the villa as before ITV started doing this, a fair few of them killed themselves.

Night Call: a game what I worked on. Out now!
t: @Tafdolphin | Twitch: Tafdolphin
jawafour
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: Night In The Woods dev, Skyrim composer, Gears 4 dev all accused of sexual assault/rape
by jawafour » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:00 pm

Tafdolphin wrote:...He should not have been engaging in the act of soliciting nude photos from people in thrall to the concept of him as a celebrity figure. This in itself is a form of manipulation as, regardless if he was actively using his status to obtain these photos, he was using his status to obtain these photos. If he was a random dude with 1000 followers this situation simply would not have occurred...

That's an interesting thought. ProJared brought up the "celebrity" aspect in that vid and he indicates that he can understand that perspective.

I'm not really seeking to defend ProJared nor support the claims of the accusers/victims as the story seems to be very convoluted at this point. At it's core, it appears that ProJared was viewing nude pics from strangers / fans and some of the people submitting those pics said they were aged 18+ when they weren't. I believe that the vast majority of people venting at ProJared did so on the basis of underage involvement and it seems that this was not something he sought or encouraged.

It's all very unpleasant and it must be a horrendous situation to be involved in.

User avatar
Rudolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Night In The Woods dev, Skyrim composer, Gears 4 dev all accused of sexual assault/rape
by Rudolphin » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:55 pm

jawafour wrote:
Tafdolphin wrote:...He should not have been engaging in the act of soliciting nude photos from people in thrall to the concept of him as a celebrity figure. This in itself is a form of manipulation as, regardless if he was actively using his status to obtain these photos, he was using his status to obtain these photos. If he was a random dude with 1000 followers this situation simply would not have occurred...

That's an interesting thought. ProJared brought up the "celebrity" aspect in that vid and he indicates that he can understand that perspective.

I'm not really seeking to defend ProJared nor support the claims of the accusers/victims as the story seems to be very convoluted at this point. At it's core, it appears that ProJared was viewing nude pics from strangers / fans and some of the people submitting those pics said they were aged 18+ when they weren't. I believe that the vast majority of people venting at ProJared did so on the basis of underage involvement and it seems that this was not something he sought or encouraged.

It's all very unpleasant and it must be a horrendous situation to be involved in.


Oh hey, yeah absolutely.

I will say though I am very much from the 'believe survivors' camp so I would say that nothing he's said or shown excuses his behaviour in any way. He's simply couched his actions in different terminology.

Night Call: a game what I worked on. Out now!
t: @Tafdolphin | Twitch: Tafdolphin
User avatar
Rudolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Night In The Woods dev, Skyrim composer, Gears 4 dev all accused of sexual assault/rape
by Rudolphin » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:09 pm

RPS article on the accusations:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/0 ... l-assault/
I’ve made efforts to contact Lawhead and Soule for comment via Twitter and Facebook, but have not received a response. I’ll update this post should either person or a representative respond. Since first sending those messages, Soule’s Twitter and Facebook pages have been taken offline.

Night Call: a game what I worked on. Out now!
t: @Tafdolphin | Twitch: Tafdolphin
jawafour
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: Night In The Woods dev, Skyrim composer, Gears 4 dev all accused of sexual assault/rape
by jawafour » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:21 pm

Eurogamer has updated on the alleged assault involving Alec Holowka.

Night in the Woods co-creator Scott Benson took to Twitter today to say he was "stunned".

"We're very sad and very angry," Benson said. "This is all hitting us in the middle of the night, we'll have more to say about it tomorrow." A follow-up message overnight last night stated a public response was coming, but would take a little longer: "It might take a day or so for a more complete response b/c some things need to be worked out, but steps are being taken. We'll be public about it as soon as we can. Thanks."

User avatar
Fade
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: San Junipero

PostRe: Night In The Woods dev, Skyrim composer, Gears 4 dev all accused of sexual assault/rape
by Fade » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:18 pm

Tafdolphin wrote:
Fade wrote:Anyone watched ProJared's newest video?

I hope people learn from that and don't jump to conclusions again.


Because he said he didn't do it?

https://heavy.com/news/2019/08/projared-defense-video/

TL;dr Youtuber cheats on his wife with fan. Wife alleges he also shared nude photos with underage fans. Multiple, multiple fans confirm this.

4 months later, Youtuber posts an "I did nothing wrong." video while admitting he did swap nudes with fans in an 'unhealthy' manner but it wasn't predatory because, you know, he doesn't think it was.

Seems to me the conclusions that were jumped to were... Correct?!

EDIT: Just read some of his evidence. It's like something a kid would present as exculpatory.

Did you watch the video? Both of his 'victims' very clearly lied about what happened.

Yeah having a Tumblr where people send you nudes is seedy, but there are cases where famous people have pursued and groomed people. That didn't happen in this case, he stopped talking to one of the 'victims' a number of times and she always began messaging him again. He did not pursue or groom either of these people.

While I agree there is a huge power differential it swings both ways. Him sending nudes to people can be way more damaging to him then some nobody sending them to him.

If someone decides to send you nudes, the mere fact you are famous doesn't immediately make it predatory, you have to look at the context.

Image
User avatar
Rudolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Night In The Woods dev, Skyrim composer, Gears 4 dev all accused of sexual assault/rape
by Rudolphin » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:44 pm

Fade wrote:
Tafdolphin wrote:
Fade wrote:Anyone watched ProJared's newest video?

I hope people learn from that and don't jump to conclusions again.


Because he said he didn't do it?

https://heavy.com/news/2019/08/projared-defense-video/

TL;dr Youtuber cheats on his wife with fan. Wife alleges he also shared nude photos with underage fans. Multiple, multiple fans confirm this.

4 months later, Youtuber posts an "I did nothing wrong." video while admitting he did swap nudes with fans in an 'unhealthy' manner but it wasn't predatory because, you know, he doesn't think it was.

Seems to me the conclusions that were jumped to were... Correct?!

EDIT: Just read some of his evidence. It's like something a kid would present as exculpatory.

Did you watch the video? Both of his 'victims' very clearly lied about what happened.

Yeah having a Tumblr where people send you nudes is seedy, but there are cases where famous people have pursued and groomed people. That didn't happen in this case, he stopped talking to one of the 'victims' a number of times and she always began messaging him again. He did not pursue or groom either of these people.

While I agree there is a huge power differential it swings both ways. Him sending nudes to people can be way more damaging to him then some nobody sending them to him.

If someone decides to send you nudes, the mere fact you are famous doesn't immediately make it predatory, you have to look at the context.


Nope. To all of that. I disagree with everything you just said because it's based on one source... the accused.

Educate yourself. Think critically about this. Don't be guided by your biases.

Night Call: a game what I worked on. Out now!
t: @Tafdolphin | Twitch: Tafdolphin
User avatar
Fade
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: San Junipero

PostRe: Night In The Woods dev, Skyrim composer, Gears 4 dev all accused of sexual assault/rape
by Fade » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:06 pm

Tafdolphin wrote:
Fade wrote:
Tafdolphin wrote:
Fade wrote:Anyone watched ProJared's newest video?

I hope people learn from that and don't jump to conclusions again.


Because he said he didn't do it?

https://heavy.com/news/2019/08/projared-defense-video/

TL;dr Youtuber cheats on his wife with fan. Wife alleges he also shared nude photos with underage fans. Multiple, multiple fans confirm this.

4 months later, Youtuber posts an "I did nothing wrong." video while admitting he did swap nudes with fans in an 'unhealthy' manner but it wasn't predatory because, you know, he doesn't think it was.

Seems to me the conclusions that were jumped to were... Correct?!

EDIT: Just read some of his evidence. It's like something a kid would present as exculpatory.

Did you watch the video? Both of his 'victims' very clearly lied about what happened.

Yeah having a Tumblr where people send you nudes is seedy, but there are cases where famous people have pursued and groomed people. That didn't happen in this case, he stopped talking to one of the 'victims' a number of times and she always began messaging him again. He did not pursue or groom either of these people.

While I agree there is a huge power differential it swings both ways. Him sending nudes to people can be way more damaging to him then some nobody sending them to him.

If someone decides to send you nudes, the mere fact you are famous doesn't immediately make it predatory, you have to look at the context.


Nope. To all of that. I disagree with everything you just said because it's based on one source... the accused.

Educate yourself. Think critically about this. Don't be guided by your biases.

He literally has screenshots and messsge logs proving one of his accusers as a lier, as well as proving she contiually manipulated information to keep public opinion on her sode. The other user has no evidence at all and had psychosis at the time he alleged this happened. I did educate myself, did you? Doesn’t sound like you did.

I don’t care what the source is, if one person has factual evidence and the other person doesn’t I’m going to believe the person with the factual evidence.

If you want to disagree with facts then that’s your choice, it’s not exactly a very wise choice though.

Image
User avatar
u ok santa xx
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: New York

PostRe: Night In The Woods dev, Skyrim composer, Gears 4 dev all accused of sexual assault/rape
by u ok santa xx » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:09 pm

Screenshots/message logs can be manipulated

User avatar
Fade
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: San Junipero

PostRe: Night In The Woods dev, Skyrim composer, Gears 4 dev all accused of sexual assault/rape
by Fade » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:13 pm

Snowcannon wrote:Screenshots/message logs can be manipulated

But if he manipulated them his accusers could just immediately prove he is lying...
His accuser with the message logs has accused him of stuff that she did not support with evidence, he then disproved all of her allegations by providing evidence from their message log...

Can you guys not see your own biases staring you straight in the face?

Pretty sure I shat on this guy too when all this originally surfaced, but its okay to reassess your opinion when you’re presented with new evidence.

Image

Return to “Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DarkRula, Google [Bot], Green Gecko, HSH28, Kevin McCallister, MSN [Bot], Nook29, Parksey, Photek, speedboatchase, Zilnad and 52 guests