Nintendo Switch Chat Thread Thrii

Anything to do with games at all.
User avatar
gaminglegend
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: North East, UK

PostRe: Nintendo Switch Chat Thread Thrii
by gaminglegend » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:01 am

DarkRula wrote:So I've just discovered that on Mario Kart 8 Deluxe you can control acceleration/deceleration through the right analogue stick. How did I find this out? By my accursed right stick registering as being held south when I started a race. I then pushed it north after a few seconds and sure enough I was moving forward. I'm all for alternate control schemes for acceleration, but do you have to have both active at the same time? It's even more nuts than the fact both sticks can control every menu within games.

I need to finally stop trying to wrestle with this thing and get a new pair.


It doesn’t feel as comfortable to use as the button, seems a bizarre choice for me. I wish you could swap the controls and use the shoulder button to accelerate on the switch. After reading about all the button/drift problems I’m concerned about them taking a hammering haha

Image
User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Nintendo Switch Chat Thread Thrii
by Tomous » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:17 am

gaminglegend wrote:
DarkRula wrote:So I've just discovered that on Mario Kart 8 Deluxe you can control acceleration/deceleration through the right analogue stick. How did I find this out? By my accursed right stick registering as being held south when I started a race. I then pushed it north after a few seconds and sure enough I was moving forward. I'm all for alternate control schemes for acceleration, but do you have to have both active at the same time? It's even more nuts than the fact both sticks can control every menu within games.

I need to finally stop trying to wrestle with this thing and get a new pair.


It doesn’t feel as comfortable to use as the button, seems a bizarre choice for me. I wish you could swap the controls and use the shoulder button to accelerate on the switch. After reading about all the button/drift problems I’m concerned about them taking a hammering haha



Nintendo are quite bad at offering customizable controls in their games I think. Arms really benifitted from it being introduced after release.

Image
User avatar
OrangeRKN
SONM & Cake Sec.
SONM & Cake Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: Nintendo Switch Chat Thread Thrii
by OrangeRKN » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:34 am

It goes along with their whole ethos of not giving player's choice in options or settings. Good for creative control, but bad for accessibility.

User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Nintendo Switch Chat Thread Thrii
by Tomous » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:36 am

I can understand that from a settings perspective I guess, but I'm not sure how much creative control is compromised by letting player's change controls to their tastes.

Image
User avatar
OrangeRKN
SONM & Cake Sec.
SONM & Cake Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: Nintendo Switch Chat Thread Thrii
by OrangeRKN » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:20 pm

It changes the gamefeel right? As well as the actual mechanics of play. Using an analogue stick feels different to a d-pad for example. Nintendo tend to put more emphasis on input as part of playing the game I think, like with motion controls or whatever Star Fox Zero was.

User avatar
shy guy 64
Member
Joined in 2018

PostRe: Nintendo Switch Chat Thread Thrii
by shy guy 64 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:51 pm

i feel like i missed something with star fox zero, its like i blinking a while ago and now everyone hates it

Image
User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Nintendo Switch Chat Thread Thrii
by Tomous » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:56 pm

shy guy 64 wrote:i feel like i missed something with star fox zero, its like i blinking a while ago and now everyone hates it



It wasn't well received at launch though, there were plenty of complaints about the controls

Image
User avatar
Pedz
Twitch Team
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Nintendo Switch Chat Thread Thrii
by Pedz » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:57 pm

Merry Christmous Everyone wrote:
shy guy 64 wrote:i feel like i missed something with star fox zero, its like i blinking a while ago and now everyone hates it



It wasn't well received at launch though, there were plenty of complaints about the controls


Pretty sure on here about 20 had it and 2 liked it.

Image
User avatar
ITSMILNER
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: UK

PostRe: Nintendo Switch Chat Thread Thrii
by ITSMILNER » Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:42 pm

I finished STARFOX Zero but it wasn’t great at all, controls were awful and graphically it was just bland and uninteresting.

Long Live Switch Squad!
User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Nintendo Switch Chat Thread Thrii
by Tomous » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:17 pm

Really think we might get a Direct this week. Nintendo need to kickstart the Animal Crossing hype cycle + reveal more of their lineup post March. Plus they also need to reveal Smash FP#5 before its' Feb release. Only Joker wasn't revealed in a Direct last year.

Image
User avatar
shy guy 64
Member
Joined in 2018

PostRe: Nintendo Switch Chat Thread Thrii
by shy guy 64 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:31 pm

no wrote:
Merry Christmous Everyone wrote:
shy guy 64 wrote:i feel like i missed something with star fox zero, its like i blinking a while ago and now everyone hates it



It wasn't well received at launch though, there were plenty of complaints about the controls


Pretty sure on here about 20 had it and 2 liked it.


man i really mustnt have been paying attention

Image
User avatar
ITSMILNER
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: UK

PostRe: Nintendo Switch Chat Thread Thrii
by ITSMILNER » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:58 pm

Merry Christmous Everyone wrote:Really think we might get a Direct this week. Nintendo need to kickstart the Animal Crossing hype cycle + reveal more of their lineup post March. Plus they also need to reveal Smash FP#5 before its' Feb release. Only Joker wasn't revealed in a Direct last year.


Does feel like it’s time to get the gears spinning for 2020 hype. Guessing we will see AC but also that May 29th release date for Xenoblade DE could be confirmed. The rumours of Pikmin 3 and Super Mario 3D World ports might come to fruition with this next Direct as well.

Really hoping for a new Paper Mario but in the vein of TTYD for this year

Long Live Switch Squad!
User avatar
Balladeer
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: Lord's

PostRe: Nintendo Switch Chat Thread Thrii
by Balladeer » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:06 pm

ITSMILNER wrote:Really hoping for a new Paper Mario but in the vein of TTYD for this year

That, my friend, is how they get you.

User avatar
ITSMILNER
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: UK

PostRe: Nintendo Switch Chat Thread Thrii
by ITSMILNER » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:12 pm

Snowballadeer wrote:
ITSMILNER wrote:Really hoping for a new Paper Mario but in the vein of TTYD for this year

That, my friend, is how they get you.


We will end up getting another duff gimmick game won’t we :(

Long Live Switch Squad!
User avatar
Robbo-92
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: South Yorkshire

PostRe: Nintendo Switch Chat Thread Thrii
by Robbo-92 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:13 pm

They just need to re release TTYD, they probably never will though :cry:

Image

Image
User avatar
ITSMILNER
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: UK

PostRe: Nintendo Switch Chat Thread Thrii
by ITSMILNER » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:22 pm

Rob-ho ho-92 wrote:They just need to re release TTYD, they probably never will though :cry:


Announce a full on sequel coming later 2020/2021 but in the meantime we get full HD remake of TTYD. The way all the toads all had individual personalities/designs.....last few entries have paled in comparison.

Long Live Switch Squad!
User avatar
Robbo-92
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: South Yorkshire

PostRe: Nintendo Switch Chat Thread Thrii
by Robbo-92 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:47 pm

ITSMILNER wrote:
Rob-ho ho-92 wrote:They just need to re release TTYD, they probably never will though :cry:


Announce a full on sequel coming later 2020/2021 but in the meantime we get full HD remake of TTYD. The way all the toads all had individual personalities/designs.....last few entries have paled in comparison.


Stop it :cry:

Honestly why they don’t release it again I don’t know, it’s one of the few games that wouldn’t even need that much work outside of porting it, graphically it still looks fine to me.

Image

Image
User avatar
shy guy 64
Member
Joined in 2018

PostRe: Nintendo Switch Chat Thread Thrii
by shy guy 64 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:00 pm

ITSMILNER wrote:
Snowballadeer wrote:
ITSMILNER wrote:Really hoping for a new Paper Mario but in the vein of TTYD for this year

That, my friend, is how they get you.


We will end up getting another duff gimmick game won’t we :(


my moneys on sticker-cards

Image
User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Nintendo Switch Chat Thread Thrii
by Tomous » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:18 pm

Take it with a pinch of salt but the last few days "insiders" on ResetEra (I know, I know) have been hinting at a new Paper Mario and a Metroid 5 for 2020.

Timing would certainly work. Intelligent Systems must have something in the works because they didn't actually contribute that much of their staff to Three Houses so you're looking at a new Wario Ware or Paper Mario game in all likelihood. And they did do a WarioWare game on the 3DS in 2018.

Also, MercurySteam finished up Samus Returns in 2017 so if Nintendo put them onto Metroid 5 after that the development time could fit. The only thing against that is Samus Returns didn't sell that well at (around 500k) so if Nintendo were testing the market with a remake before a true sequel, they might have been put off.

Last edited by Tomous on Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
User avatar
Robbo-92
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: South Yorkshire

PostRe: Nintendo Switch Chat Thread Thrii
by Robbo-92 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:21 pm

I find it very hard to take any supposed ‘insiders’ seriously, I suppose there will be one or two genuine ones but with the amount that are spouting rubbish for internet fame makes it hard to filter out whats true and whats false, I just prefer to wait it out. There probably will be a general direct soon though, feels like there needs to be one at some point in the near future.

Image

Image

Return to “Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: kerr9000, Rightey and 53 guests