No Man's Sky - Beyond update avaiable now

Anything to do with games at all.
User avatar
Ad7
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: No Man's Sky - Beyond update out later today
by Ad7 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:05 pm

I want to have a GR VR meet in game

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.
User avatar
mic
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: I'm on my way...

PostRe: No Man's Sky - Beyond update out later today
by mic » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:10 pm

Any sign of the pc update?

User avatar
jawafour
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: No Man's Sky - Beyond update out later today
by jawafour » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:43 pm

Lime wrote:...It feels great - somehow more natural for me than Skyrim VR. Literally only had 2 mins so started a new game, which was a very hostile planet. Quit and went for my saved game. Amazing to be inside the base I built!

Lime, man, VR mode sounds incred!




I've started the game in 2D mode and I've just completed the initial stages. I'm ready to take off :toot: .

The opening is a lot friendlier than it used to be, with plenty of pointers for what to collect and build to get your ship ready. I've still had to collect a ton of sodium as I've started on a toxic planet and my suit needs lots of charging. The new start includes updates such as crafting which is neat.

I'd love to try VR but my setup isn't really suitable (I only have about a foot of space other side of me). I may check it out a bit later once I've become more comfortable with the basic controls and mechanisms.

Okay... now to fly out into space!

User avatar
OrangeRKN
SONM & Cake Sec.
SONM & Cake Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: No Man's Sky - Beyond update out later today
by OrangeRKN » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:55 pm

So how much easier is the UI and inventory management now? Do you have to worry about carry limits? Do you still have to stop every 30 seconds to refill meters?

Witty biological-political hybrid jokes are the reason this place fails to cater to a wide audience
Image
Image
Web - RedBubble - @OrangeRakoon - GOTY 2018
User avatar
Lime
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Lime

PostRe: No Man's Sky - Beyond update out later today
by Lime » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:57 pm

jawafour wrote:I'd love to try VR but my setup isn't really suitable (I only have about a foot of space other side of me). I may check it out a bit later once I've become more comfortable with the basic controls and mechanisms.

Okay... now to fly out into space!



If you use the dualshock rather than moves, you shouldn't need space to play in VR. It's worth just firing it up to see what it's like!

The above post is followed by a winky, smiley or facepalm as appropriate.
3ds - 0946-2364-6907
Wii U - Monkeylime

WorkerScore: 1
Tasks To Next rank : 9
User avatar
jawafour
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: No Man's Sky - Beyond update out later today
by jawafour » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:02 pm

OrangeRKN wrote:So how much easier is the UI and inventory management now? Do you have to worry about carry limits? Do you still have to stop every 30 seconds to refill meters?

During the opening stages (i.e. starting up and collecting stuff for the ship repairs) I never ran out of inventory space or had to juggle stuff, Orange. I was randomly assigned a toxic planet so I had to act sharp to search and use sodium for my suit supplies; and keep it topped up. But, yeah, it doesn't seem to require quite as much item management as before. It's still a part of the game, though!

Lime wrote:If you use the dualshock rather than moves, you shouldn't need space to play in VR. It's worth just firing it up to see what it's like!

...good call, Lime - I'd forgot about this! :o . Will try it in a bit!

User avatar
jawafour
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: No Man's Sky - Beyond update out later today
by jawafour » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:46 pm

jawafour wrote:
Lime wrote:If you use the dualshock rather than moves, you shouldn't need space to play in VR. It's worth just firing it up to see what it's like!

...good call, Lime - I'd forgot about this! :o . Will try it in a bit!


Just tried PSVR mode with the standard DualShock. First impressions:

+ It's wonderful just to be "in" the game after previously experiencing it in a 2D format
+ The scale of the environments is amazing
+ Sitting in the cockpit is incredible
+ I couldn't get on with teleport movement but I switched to smooth movement and this - to - me felt better and more natural
- There is a resolution hit; the smaller on-screen text can be tricky read although the essentials are fine
- The "smooth" option for camera turning works fine but very quickly; do too much of it and you can feel woozy

I suspect that the experience will be even better using the Move controllers.

User avatar
Cheeky Devlin
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: The Dark And Lonely Regions, Where Nobody Goes.
Contact:

PostRe: No Man's Sky - Beyond update out later today
by Cheeky Devlin » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:58 pm

Does it have a "stepped" turning option?

Check out some of our stuff!
Image Image Image

JOIN OUR MINECRAFT REALM HERE!
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
User avatar
Venom
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
Location: London
Contact:

PostRe: No Man's Sky - Beyond update out later today
by Venom » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:59 pm

jawafour wrote:Just tried PSVR mode with the standard DualShock. First impressions:

+ It's wonderful just to be "in" the game after previously experiencing it in a 2D format
+ The scale of the environments is amazing
+ Sitting in the cockpit is incredible
+ I couldn't get on with teleport movement but I switched to smooth movement and this - to - me felt better and more natural
- There is a resolution hit; the smaller on-screen text can be tricky read although the essentials are fine
- The "smooth" option for camera turning works fine but very quickly; do too much of it and you can feel woozy

I suspect that the experience will be even better using the Move controllers.



Cool.
How easy is it to view the menus and inventory items, and how does flying and space travel feel?

User avatar
captain red dog
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Bristol, UK

PostRe: No Man's Sky - Beyond update out later today
by captain red dog » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:47 pm

How do you er... move... with the Move controllers. Is it point and click like Skyrim?

User avatar
Green Gecko
Treasurer
Joined in 2008
Location: Sussex
Contact:

PostRe: No Man's Sky - Beyond update out later today
by Green Gecko » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:48 pm

Lol, I'm not surprised they needed to improve the UI and help prompts etc for VR as you can't exactly dip in and out of the game to check a wiki article on how something works. It's funny how innovation like VR forces game design to improve for the baseline experience as well.

I'll check the new min specs and cross reference my card with the equivalent Geforce card to figure out if it's worth giving the steam version a "demo".

♥ gaems | t: @GRcade | FB: GRcadeUK | YT: GRcadeVideo | Twitch: GRcadeUK
Image
Image
User avatar
jawafour
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: No Man's Sky - Beyond update out later today
by jawafour » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:59 pm

Cheeky Devlin wrote:Does it have a "stepped" turning option?

It does, CD; you can choose between smooth and stepped.

Venom wrote:...How easy is it to view the menus and inventory items, and how does flying and space travel feel?

Yeah, the menus are very similar when using the DualShock in VR mode; menus just appear in front of you with a degree of opacity. They work well, albeit the decreased resolution is noticeable. I haven't ventured into space yet but even sitting in the cockpit is lovely!

captain red dog wrote:How do you er... move... with the Move controllers. Is it point and click like Skyrim?

I haven't tried the Move controllers. I'd anticipated point n' click (teleport) method; but maybe a "smooth" method (as with the DualShock) is possible, too.

User avatar
Cheeky Devlin
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: The Dark And Lonely Regions, Where Nobody Goes.
Contact:

PostRe: No Man's Sky - Beyond update out later today
by Cheeky Devlin » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:14 pm

jawafour wrote:
Cheeky Devlin wrote:Does it have a "stepped" turning option?

It does, CD; you can choose between smooth and stepped.

Nice. Smooth turning isn't the best feeling in the world. :lol:

Probably won't get a chance to play tonight, but I'll dig out the Rift soon.

Check out some of our stuff!
Image Image Image

JOIN OUR MINECRAFT REALM HERE!
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
User avatar
captain red dog
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Bristol, UK

PostRe: No Man's Sky - Beyond update out later today
by captain red dog » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:01 pm

I'll get my Dualshock charged then. Can't say I'm a fan of point and click teleport. It will be might cool to mine with a move controller though. I'll test them out tonight.

User avatar
mic
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: I'm on my way...

PostRe: No Man's Sky - Beyond update out later today
by mic » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:03 pm

PC update available now :-)

User avatar
captain red dog
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Bristol, UK

PostRe: No Man's Sky - Beyond update avaiable now
by captain red dog » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:20 pm

The dual shock controls work well. Need to charge my move controllers though! Definitely a great experience in VR, I hope next gen that we get a better resolution VR. That said, the depth it adds here is extremely impressive. It also doesn't give me motion sickness because of the more relaxed gameplay.

EDIT: Grcade, I need your help. I fixed my ship, went into space and got a signal on a planet. I went there and need to get some module, but it's under ground. The tutorial hasn't gone to the bit where I get the mining tool. What do I do, can I get the mining tool now to dig up the thing I need, or is my game gimped?

User avatar
Xeno
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: No Man's Sky - Beyond update avaiable now
by Xeno » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:54 pm

The bloody thing crashes to desktop every time I get in a ship after the update.

User avatar
ITSMILNER
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: UK

PostRe: No Man's Sky - Beyond update avaiable now
by ITSMILNER » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:58 pm

I downloaded the update so all ready to give it a go at some point (No VR for me tho)

Reading up I think I will go with the third person view point. Many of you play with this view?

Image
User avatar
jawafour
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: No Man's Sky - Beyond update avaiable now
by jawafour » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:09 pm

captain red dog wrote:EDIT: Grcade, I need your help. I fixed my ship, went into space and got a signal on a planet. I went there and need to get some module, but it's under ground. The tutorial hasn't gone to the bit where I get the mining tool. What do I do, can I get the mining tool now to dig up the thing I need, or is my game gimped?

I'm just at the bit where, having made my first flight and landed on a planet, my mission is to get the terrain manpulation tool, crd; is that what you need? Or... is there a cave that you can go into to go underground?

- - - - - - - - - -

On PS4 I just noticed that, in options / video, "Vignette & Scanlines" is turned on by default. I've turned it off and the picture is much clearer and sharper. I wonder if this improves the VR picture quality as well?

User avatar
Lime
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Lime

PostRe: No Man's Sky - Beyond update avaiable now
by Lime » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:36 pm

I fell down a hole, and figured I'd blast my way out with the terrain tool.
I set off blasting a path diagonally upwards, for ages.

Started to get quite claustrophobic!


This went on forever, in a tiny narrow corridor, ever climbing.

Finally, I emerged - at the top of a mountain, I must have been tunneling parallel to the surface :fp:

Have had to take the headset off, I got myself in a bit of a 'stuck underground' panic :oops:

Awesome experience. I've already played way more of this than skyrim VR.

The above post is followed by a winky, smiley or facepalm as appropriate.
3ds - 0946-2364-6907
Wii U - Monkeylime

WorkerScore: 1
Tasks To Next rank : 9

Return to “Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Benzin, Kriken, PaperMacheMario, Peter Crisp, Poser, Red 5 stella, Robbo-92, Snowcannon and 33 guests