Ori and the Will of the Wisps (XSX|S/XB1/Win10/Steam/Switch)

Anything to do with games at all.
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

PostRe: Ori and the Will of the Wisps (XB1/Win10/Steam) - out 11th March. Opening 20mins of Gameplay & previews.
by Moggy » Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:13 pm

Tomous wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Tomous wrote:
Moggy wrote:I played and completed the first game during paternity leave after my son was born. All those hours that he was asleep were a wonderful time to get some gaming in. It’s a shame he doesn’t still do it. ;)


This is exactly what I've just done with the second :lol: :wub:


Enjoy it while you can, that time doesn't last very long. :lol:


Yeah, only took me 15 hours and I've 100%-ed it

I am, don't worry i have a little nephew so know what's to come :lol:


Trust me, the nephew has not prepared you at all for the shitstorm (literally sometimes) that is to come. :lol:

Image
User avatar
ITSMILNER
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: UK

PostRe: Ori and the Will of the Wisps (XSX/XSS/XB1/Win10/Steam) - Out now on Switch!!
by ITSMILNER » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:58 pm

Was going to pick this up on Switch but I think I’ll be better of waiting and grabbing it on Xbox Series X, has it been on sale much?

Long Live Switch Squad!
User avatar
more heat than light
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: mhtl
Location: Leicestershire

PostRe: Ori and the Will of the Wisps (XSX/XSS/XB1/Win10/Steam) - Out now on Switch!!
by more heat than light » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:02 pm

ITSMILNER wrote:Was going to pick this up on Switch but I think I’ll be better of waiting and grabbing it on Xbox Series X, has it been on sale much?


It's on Game Pass innit.

jawafour wrote:You definitely have the biggest one, mhtl - it's strawberry-floatin' massive!
User avatar
ITSMILNER
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: UK

PostRe: Ori and the Will of the Wisps (XSX/XSS/XB1/Win10/Steam) - Out now on Switch!!
by ITSMILNER » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:21 am

more heat than light wrote:
ITSMILNER wrote:Was going to pick this up on Switch but I think I’ll be better of waiting and grabbing it on Xbox Series X, has it been on sale much?


It's on Game Pass innit.


I’ll be honest, i don’t think I’ll bother signing up to GamePass, the indie stuff I play on Switch and all the first party stuff they have I mostly already own/pick up when it’s super cheap.

That might change later down the line when more first party stuff is being pumped out. I also noticed they are offering my GP for £1 for a month again, they offered me this a few months ago as well.

Long Live Switch Squad!
User avatar
Photek
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Dublin

PostRe: Ori and the Will of the Wisps (XSX/XSS/XB1/Win10/Steam) - Out now on Switch!!
by Photek » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:38 am

Fair enough, I think it's a bit mental to have a Series X and NOT Gamepass...

Image
User avatar
more heat than light
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: mhtl
Location: Leicestershire

PostRe: Ori and the Will of the Wisps (XSX/XSS/XB1/Win10/Steam) - Out now on Switch!!
by more heat than light » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:50 am

Either way, Will Of The Wisps is easily finished inside a month and a month of Game Pass can be had for less than the price of the game. It's not really the sort of game that warrants repeated playthroughs.

jawafour wrote:You definitely have the biggest one, mhtl - it's strawberry-floatin' massive!
User avatar
Tomous
Member
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Ori and the Will of the Wisps (XB1/Win10/Steam) - out 11th March. Opening 20mins of Gameplay & previews.
by Tomous » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:51 am

Moggy wrote:
Tomous wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Tomous wrote:
Moggy wrote:I played and completed the first game during paternity leave after my son was born. All those hours that he was asleep were a wonderful time to get some gaming in. It’s a shame he doesn’t still do it. ;)


This is exactly what I've just done with the second :lol: :wub:


Enjoy it while you can, that time doesn't last very long. :lol:


Yeah, only took me 15 hours and I've 100%-ed it

I am, don't worry i have a little nephew so know what's to come :lol:


Trust me, the nephew has not prepared you at all for the shitstorm (literally sometimes) that is to come. :lol:



:dread:

Image
User avatar
Monkey Man
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Ori and the Will of the Wisps (XSX/XSS/XB1/Win10/Steam) - Out now on Switch!!
by Monkey Man » Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:47 pm

Ori and the Will of the Wisps is coming to your screen like never before! We are right around the corner from the Xbox Series X launch and are thrilled to bring you a new update today that not only includes a huge upgrade for the Xbox Series X, but also updates for everyone to enjoy on all platforms.

Look out for the update coming to your device and enjoy another playthrough of Ori in a brand new way!

Now optimized for the Xbox Series X

4K HDR locked at 120 FPS
Optional 6K Supersampled mode at 60FPS outputting in 4K HDR
Highest Graphics and Visual Effects settings
Instant Input Response
Faster Loading Times
High Fidelity Audio with increased Dynamic Range and Convolution Reverb for ambiences
Available with Smart Delivery

Now optimized for the Xbox Series S

1080p HDR locked at 120 FPS
Optional 4K mode at 60FPS
Instant Input Response
Faster Loading Times
High Fidelity Audio with increased Dynamic Range and Convolution Reverb for ambiences
Available with Smart Delivery

Additional Features for the All Xbox Platforms

Sharpness Settings added in Graphics Settings for additional control of the image sharpness.
Quick Access is now available from In-Game Pause menu
Backup Saves are now available from In-Game Pause menu

Bug Fixes and Improvements

General performance improvements across all Xbox One SKUs
Stability fixes introduced to further remove OOM and Graphics related crashes
Fixed several instances of Ori falling out of the world due to scene loading race conditions
Additional polish and improvements throughout the game experience
Various smaller bug-fixes

PC Feature and Updates

New High Quality Graphics mode for Sharp, Supersampled image rendering with highest visual effect settings.
New Low Quality Graphics mode with optimized visual effect settings to allow better performance on lower spec machines.
PC Graphics Quality Setting Selection (Low, Balanced, High): Allows choosing between higher framerate and higher quality graphics modes.
Sharpness Settings added in Graphics Settings for additional control of the image sharpness.
New High Quality Audio Mode: High Fidelity Audio with increased Dynamic Range and Convolution Reverb for ambiences
New Low Quality Audio Mode: Lower quality Audio mode for increased performance on lower end machines.
Audio Quality Settings Selection: Allow to choose between higher quality audio and more optimized audio performance modes.
Quick Access is now available from In-Game Pause menu
Backup Saves are now available from In-Game Pause menu
General Performance and Image Quality Improvements
Stability fixes introduced to further remove OOM and Graphics related crashes
Fixed several instances of Ori falling out of the world due to scene loading race conditions
Additional polish and improvements throughout the game experience
Various smaller bug-fixes

https://www.orithegame.com/release-note ... eries-x-s/

Image
User avatar
Clarkman
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Ori and the Will of the Wisps (XSX|S/XB1/Win10/Steam/Switch) - 4K/120 or 6K/60 on XSX. 1080/120 or 4k/60 on XSS.
by Clarkman » Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:26 pm

Playing through this on Switch having nabbed a physical copy for £20. I think I'm in the last quarter of the game, and can confidently say it would have been my GOTY if I'd played it a month sooner.

It is a mix of all the best bits of the first Ori, with unashamed stealing from Hollow Knight. They've managed to take the Hollow Knight experience and scope and reduce it down to a 10-12 hour game. Genius.

User avatar
Tomous
Member
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Ori and the Will of the Wisps (XSX|S/XB1/Win10/Steam/Switch) - 4K/120 or 6K/60 on XSX. 1080/120 or 4k/60 on XSS.
by Tomous » Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:48 pm

Clarkman wrote:Playing through this on Switch having nabbed a physical copy for £20. I think I'm in the last quarter of the game, and can confidently say it would have been my GOTY if I'd played it a month sooner.

It is a mix of all the best bits of the first Ori, with unashamed stealing from Hollow Knight. They've managed to take the Hollow Knight experience and scope and reduce it down to a 10-12 hour game. Genius.


It is a wonderful game. I really liked how different the atmosphere felt in both games. The first had quite a lonely feel to it at times whereas the sequel is full of side quest and characters to meet.

Image
User avatar
Rex Kramer
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Ori and the Will of the Wisps (XSX|S/XB1/Win10/Steam/Switch) - 4K/120 or 6K/60 on XSX. 1080/120 or 4k/60 on XSS.
by Rex Kramer » Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:33 am

I really do love this game but those chase sequences really spoil the mood for me. I either have to take a break or just plough on through them and remember that the good gooseberry fool is on the other side of it. Otherwise, great game.

User avatar
Clarkman
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Ori and the Will of the Wisps (XSX|S/XB1/Win10/Steam/Switch) - 4K/120 or 6K/60 on XSX. 1080/120 or 4k/60 on XSS.
by Clarkman » Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:49 am

Rex Kramer wrote:I really do love this game but those chase sequences really spoil the mood for me. I either have to take a break or just plough on through them and remember that the good gooseberry fool is on the other side of it. Otherwise, great game.


Just curious, did you bother with the spirit trial sequences where you to have to race the developer ghost?

User avatar
Rex Kramer
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Ori and the Will of the Wisps (XSX|S/XB1/Win10/Steam/Switch) - 4K/120 or 6K/60 on XSX. 1080/120 or 4k/60 on XSS.
by Rex Kramer » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:04 am

Clarkman wrote:
Rex Kramer wrote:I really do love this game but those chase sequences really spoil the mood for me. I either have to take a break or just plough on through them and remember that the good gooseberry fool is on the other side of it. Otherwise, great game.


Just curious, did you bother with the spirit trial sequences where you to have to race the developer ghost?

I think I've found one of them but didn't bother running it at the time. Might go back to it.

User avatar
Clarkman
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Ori and the Will of the Wisps (XSX|S/XB1/Win10/Steam/Switch) - 4K/120 or 6K/60 on XSX. 1080/120 or 4k/60 on XSS.
by Clarkman » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:06 am

Rex Kramer wrote:
Clarkman wrote:
Rex Kramer wrote:I really do love this game but those chase sequences really spoil the mood for me. I either have to take a break or just plough on through them and remember that the good gooseberry fool is on the other side of it. Otherwise, great game.


Just curious, did you bother with the spirit trial sequences where you to have to race the developer ghost?

I think I've found one of them but didn't bother running it at the time. Might go back to it.


Just asking as they basically function as practice for the escape. Same pressures but actually harder.

I don't mind the escapes personally. They're a fun differentiator for the series - reminiscent of the ending sequences in Metroid I suppose, which no one seems to dislike quite so vehemently.

User avatar
Edd
Member
Joined in 2015
Contact:

PostRe: Ori and the Will of the Wisps (XSX|S/XB1/Win10/Steam/Switch) - 4K/120 or 6K/60 on XSX. 1080/120 or 4k/60 on XSS.
by Edd » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:25 am

My PC struggled with the chase sequences so the drop in FPS basically made it move in slow motion at some points. Not intentional but it did make it easier and looked pretty cool tbf.

Image
User avatar
Rex Kramer
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Ori and the Will of the Wisps (XSX|S/XB1/Win10/Steam/Switch) - 4K/120 or 6K/60 on XSX. 1080/120 or 4k/60 on XSS.
by Rex Kramer » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:33 am

Clarkman wrote:
Rex Kramer wrote:
Clarkman wrote:
Rex Kramer wrote:I really do love this game but those chase sequences really spoil the mood for me. I either have to take a break or just plough on through them and remember that the good gooseberry fool is on the other side of it. Otherwise, great game.


Just curious, did you bother with the spirit trial sequences where you to have to race the developer ghost?

I think I've found one of them but didn't bother running it at the time. Might go back to it.


Just asking as they basically function as practice for the escape. Same pressures but actually harder.

I don't mind the escapes personally. They're a fun differentiator for the series - reminiscent of the ending sequences in Metroid I suppose, which no one seems to dislike quite so vehemently.

What's annoying with them is there seems no bonus for doing well in the earlier stages of one, you hit trigger points and the distance from you to death seems to reset.

User avatar
Rex Kramer
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Ori and the Will of the Wisps (XSX|S/XB1/Win10/Steam/Switch) - 4K/120 or 6K/60 on XSX. 1080/120 or 4k/60 on XSS.
by Rex Kramer » Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:31 am

The control of Ori and the range of skills at your disposal as you get further into the game is just ridiculous. The fact you can transition from various things with a relatively decent window of opportunity just means bouncing around the environment is (relatively) effortless. I can imagine that a skilled player would be doing stuff reminiscent of the top Street Fighter players and barrelling through without hitting the floor for ages. Me, I'm just glad that hitting the spikes isn't insta-death.

User avatar
Rex Kramer
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Ori and the Will of the Wisps (XSX|S/XB1/Win10/Steam/Switch)
by Rex Kramer » Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:02 pm

Just done the Kwolok boss fight which means I think I've got 1 wisp left to collect so I guess I'm around 3/4 done. It's really good, even the recent escape sequence was made relatively easy by just spamming the dash button. Can't decide whether I'd like to play the first one when I'm done or is it a case of not being able to go back to savoury now?

User avatar
Photek
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Dublin

PostRe: Ori and the Will of the Wisps (XSX|S/XB1/Win10/Steam/Switch)
by Photek » Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:06 pm

Rex Kramer wrote:Just done the Kwolok boss fight which means I think I've got 1 wisp left to collect so I guess I'm around 3/4 done. It's really good, even the recent escape sequence was made relatively easy by just spamming the dash button. Can't decide whether I'd like to play the first one when I'm done or is it a case of not being able to go back to savoury now?

From what I've played of WotWisps, the first one is at the very least as good, true you'll start again having to obtain power ups but they are both wonderful games and embarrisingly I'm yet to finish either (although I am near the end of The Blind Forest I believe).

Image
User avatar
Rex Kramer
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Ori and the Will of the Wisps (XSX|S/XB1/Win10/Steam/Switch)
by Rex Kramer » Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:50 pm

That sand worm can strawberry float the strawberry float off and when if gets there it can strawberry float off some more.

Done it, only took 10 attempts. Didn't bust a controller though so it's all good.


Return to “Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 139 guests