Suspension of democracy ruled unlawful by Supreme Court | Parliament NOT prorogued | Election November?

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
satriales
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Democracy in UK suspended by unelected far-right Prime Minister | General election seems imminent
by satriales » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:01 pm

Moggy wrote:
captain red dog wrote:I can't believe people don't wake up to the lies coming from the Tories. First it was the EU against us, then it was our own elected parliament, now its the courts. Maybe, just maybe they should consider that it could be themselves that are wrong!


It’s easier to fool people than convince them that they are being fooled.

Just look at how Leavers quickly went from “best and easiest trade deals in history!” to “WE DELIBERATELY VOTED TO BE POORER, WE KNEW THAT!!!”


As an ex-leaver, I did know at the time that voting leave would make the country poorer but money is not everyone's number one priority. Now I'm a strong remainer but still I don't think money comes into it too much.

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Democracy in UK suspended by unelected far-right Prime Minister | General election seems imminent
by Moggy » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:31 pm

satriales wrote:
Moggy wrote:
captain red dog wrote:I can't believe people don't wake up to the lies coming from the Tories. First it was the EU against us, then it was our own elected parliament, now its the courts. Maybe, just maybe they should consider that it could be themselves that are wrong!


It’s easier to fool people than convince them that they are being fooled.

Just look at how Leavers quickly went from “best and easiest trade deals in history!” to “WE DELIBERATELY VOTED TO BE POORER, WE KNEW THAT!!!”


As an ex-leaver, I did know at the time that voting leave would make the country poorer but money is not everyone's number one priority. Now I'm a strong remainer but still I don't think money comes into it too much.


It came into it a lot, not in your case but there were a hell of a lot of Leavers claiming we’d all be financially better off and/or that the economy would be better. Those same people that were talking about extra cash for the NHS are now claiming that they knew that wouldn’t happen.

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Democracy in UK suspended by unelected far-right Prime Minister | General election seems imminent
by Moggy » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:22 pm



Johnson keeps breaking records.

User avatar
Kezzer
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: Democracy in UK suspended by unelected far-right Prime Minister | General election seems imminent
by Kezzer » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:38 pm

DRAIN THE SWAMP!

Image
Image
Image
https://i.imgur.com/p4kW4c7.png

Check out the Digital Combat Simulator thread for some hardcore aerial combat! | Mumble | PCGT V | The Photography Thread |
User avatar
Blue Eyes
Member
Joined in 2011

PostRe: Democracy in UK suspended by unelected far-right Prime Minister | General election seems imminent
by Blue Eyes » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:48 pm

Moggy wrote:

Johnson keeps breaking records.

He could probably break another hundred records for being gooseberry fool and still strawberry float all will happen. Sick of it.

User avatar
Garth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008
Location: Norn Iron

PostRe: Democracy in UK suspended by unelected far-right Prime Minister | General election seems imminent
by Garth » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:26 pm




User avatar
OrangeRKN
SONM & Cake Sec.
SONM & Cake Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: Democracy in UK suspended by unelected far-right Prime Minister | General election seems imminent
by OrangeRKN » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:40 pm

I think parliament needs to properly legislate on the correct procedure and usage of prorogation, including making it voted for by parliament (not at the whim of the prime minister) and placing a reasonable upper bound on the length of time parliament can be prorogued, if not a fixed length of time entirely.

Regardless I think the courts need to rule against this case of prorogation and determine that certain usage of it is unlawful and unconstitutional, otherwise this will become a test case that weaponises prorogation and the government will no doubt abuse it further.

Democracy by convention only works when the government respects democracy. That is no longer the case. Democracy needs stronger protection, provided by both the law and the people.

"Nintendo fanboys are the worst kind" - gamerforever
Image
Image
Web - RedBubble - @OrangeRakoon - GOTY 2018
User avatar
Karl_
Nyaaaaaaa~!
Nyaaaaaaa~!
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Democracy in UK suspended by unelected far-right Prime Minister | General election seems imminent
by Karl_ » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:54 pm

Democracy needs to be actively defended by an engaged populace. When people are disconnected from democracy and misinformed about what's going on in the world, it creates a vacuum which fascism can fill.

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Democracy in UK suspended by unelected far-right Prime Minister | General election seems imminent
by Moggy » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:19 pm

Karl_ wrote:Democracy needs to be actively defended by an engaged populace. When people are disconnected from democracy and misinformed about what's going on in the world, it creates a vacuum which fascism can fill.


We practice selective annihilation of mayors and government officials, for example, to create a vacuum, then we fill that vacuum. As popular war advances, peace is closer.

User avatar
rinks
Member
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Aboard the train that goes around the world

PostRe: Democracy in UK suspended by unelected far-right Prime Minister | General election seems imminent
by rinks » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:06 pm

Moggy wrote:
Karl_ wrote:Democracy needs to be actively defended by an engaged populace. When people are disconnected from democracy and misinformed about what's going on in the world, it creates a vacuum which fascism can fill.


We practice selective annihilation of mayors and government officials, for example, to create a vacuum, then we fill that vacuum. As popular war advances, peace is closer.


Which is the way he wants it.

User avatar
Garth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008
Location: Norn Iron

PostRe: Democracy in UK suspended by unelected far-right Prime Minister | General election seems imminent
by Garth » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:23 pm


User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Democracy in UK suspended by unelected far-right Prime Minister | General election seems imminent
by Preezy » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:40 pm

I really hope the Council of Elders find in favour of the Northern Territories in this case. His Highness Boris Johnson has become as reckless and treacherous as our previous Lord Protector :dread:

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Democracy in UK suspended by unelected far-right Prime Minister | General election seems imminent
by Moggy » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:43 pm

Next week? I expected them to say “the decision will be released on 14 October”. ;)

User avatar
Garth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008
Location: Norn Iron

PostRe: Democracy in UK suspended by unelected far-right Prime Minister | General election seems imminent
by Garth » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:19 pm


User avatar
Squinty
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Norn Oirland

PostRe: Democracy in UK suspended by unelected far-right Prime Minister | General election seems imminent
by Squinty » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:55 pm

I'm going to assume my usually pessimistic outlook on this, to avoid bitter disappointment.

User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: Democracy in UK suspended by unelected far-right Prime Minister | General election seems imminent
by Lagamorph » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:59 pm

I honestly won't be surprised if the judgement ends up being "It was illegal, but we can't recall Parliament and we're going to tell the Tories to do it but in a way that they can wriggle out of it"

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Squinty
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Norn Oirland

PostRe: Democracy in UK suspended by unelected far-right Prime Minister | General election seems imminent
by Squinty » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:07 pm

Lagamorph wrote:I honestly won't be surprised if the judgement ends up being "It was illegal, but we can't recall Parliament and we're going to tell the Tories to do it but in a way that they can wriggle out of it"


Probably this.

User avatar
Garth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008
Location: Norn Iron

PostRe: Democracy in UK suspended by unelected far-right Prime Minister | General election seems imminent
by Garth » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:38 am


They've overruled the English High Court on that aspect.

User avatar
Garth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008
Location: Norn Iron

PostRe: Democracy in UK suspended by unelected far-right Prime Minister | General election seems imminent
by Garth » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:41 am


User avatar
Garth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008
Location: Norn Iron

PostRe: Democracy in UK suspended by unelected far-right Prime Minister | General election seems imminent
by Garth » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:42 am

RULED UNLAWFUL!


Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: <]:^D, Albear, Fade, Frank, PuppetBoy, Rightey, suzzopher, Tineash and 48 guests