Star Trek: Picard. Fridays on Amazon Prime Video UK. Season finale out now.

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Qikz
#420BlazeIt ♥
Joined in 2011

PostRe: Star Trek: Picard. Fridays on Amazon Prime Video UK. Renewed for Season 2.
by Qikz » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:44 am

That was by far the best episode so far. The way they handled picard this episode was strawberry floating fantastic.

Image
The Watching Artist wrote:I feel so inept next to Qikz...
User avatar
Lex-Man
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Star Trek: Picard. Fridays on Amazon Prime Video UK. Renewed for Season 2.
by Lex-Man » Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:24 pm

I'm kind of enjoying the show, but I really have very little good to say about it. The three things I can think of are. The sets are good, and it's got some good dialogue in a kind of 90's comic kind of way. I'm mean they've basically kind of turned 7 of 9 into a Rob Leifield character. Elnor and are also sort of a 90's comic book character as well Rios, it feels like Warren Ellis would have written.

Patrick Stuart is amazing actor and I really enjoy watching him, honestly I think if they just did a show where he read the phone book I'd still watch it.

Amusement under late capitalism is the prolongation of work.
User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: Star Trek: Picard. Fridays on Amazon Prime Video UK. Renewed for Season 2.
by Lagamorph » Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:53 pm

I've only just caught up with the last couple of episodes.

It was obvious from the moment she turned up at the Chateau that Jurati was going to be a traitor, but they weren't making any effort to hide that from the audience really.
It was great seeing Seven again, though I am kinda annoyed that they decided to kill Icheb like that. Would've been nice to hear about what happened between Seven and Chakotay too since there seemed to be an implication that Seven had been in a relationship with Bjayzl.

No:1 Final Fantasy Fan wrote:Wow that new bit of Borg tech was so awesome!!

It was actually a throw back to an old Voyager episode in Season 1, "Prime Factors", where Voyager meets a race who have a transporter with a range of 40,000 Light Years but who refuse to share the tech with anybody. (Hugh mentions the race from the episode by name, the Sikarians, and that the Borg assimilated them which must have happened in the years after Voyager met them). Tuvok managed to do some black market dealing to get hold of it but they found that it wouldn't work away from the race's planet and that the technology was completely incompatible with Federation technology. Of course the Borg seemed to overcome that weakness, but Voyager had the tech for all of 5 minutes before having to destroy it before it ended up destroying the ship due to the incompatibility.


Also, Mr Mot's Hair Emporium :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I strawberry floating loved that.

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
No:1 Final Fantasy Fan
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: UK

PostRe: Star Trek: Picard. Fridays on Amazon Prime Video UK. Renewed for Season 2.
by No:1 Final Fantasy Fan » Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:41 pm

Lagamorph wrote:I've only just caught up with the last couple of episodes.

It was obvious from the moment she turned up at the Chateau that Jurati was going to be a traitor, but they weren't making any effort to hide that from the audience really.
It was great seeing Seven again, though I am kinda annoyed that they decided to kill Icheb like that. Would've been nice to hear about what happened between Seven and Chakotay too since there seemed to be an implication that Seven had been in a relationship with Bjayzl.

No:1 Final Fantasy Fan wrote:Wow that new bit of Borg tech was so awesome!!

It was actually a throw back to an old Voyager episode in Season 1, "Prime Factors", where Voyager meets a race who have a transporter with a range of 40,000 Light Years but who refuse to share the tech with anybody. (Hugh mentions the race from the episode by name, the Sikarians, and that the Borg assimilated them which must have happened in the years after Voyager met them). Tuvok managed to do some black market dealing to get hold of it but they found that it wouldn't work away from the race's planet and that the technology was completely incompatible with Federation technology. Of course the Borg seemed to overcome that weakness, but Voyager had the tech for all of 5 minutes before having to destroy it before it ended up destroying the ship due to the incompatibility.


Also, Mr Mot's Hair Emporium :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I strawberry floating loved that.

Ah thanks no wonder that race sounded so familiar!
So glad they have the knowledge to do these throw backs making it all connect, especially with Voyager as I'm not really a fan of TNG.
Update: Just rewatched Prime Factors this evening :)

User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: Star Trek: Picard. Fridays on Amazon Prime Video UK. Renewed for Season 2.
by Lagamorph » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:29 pm

Honestly, I think one of my biggest issues with Picard is one of the same issues I have with Discovery. The swearing.

I just don't see why Star Trek needs people dropping the F-bomb all over the place.

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Star Trek: Picard. Fridays on Amazon Prime Video UK. Renewed for Season 2.
by Peter Crisp » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:35 pm

Lagamorph wrote:Honestly, I think one of my biggest issues with Picard is one of the same issues I have with Discovery. The swearing.

I just don't see why Star Trek needs people dropping the F-bomb all over the place.


I must admit I hadn't noticed it but I can understand why it may bother you as part of being a Trek fan was knowing it was family friendly (even DS9 that got pretty hardcore at times) so you could sit and try and get the kids into it.
My main complaint about Discovery is the dark tone and use of graphic violence and sex (graphic for Trek anyway) and while Picard is in that same mould it's nowhere near as dark or graphic. I do however hope it can come to some kind of positive ending where the Federation wakes up and remembers it's own charter to help all species where it can and help the Romulans.

jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
User avatar
Hexx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Star Trek: Picard. Fridays on Amazon Prime Video UK. Renewed for Season 2.
by Hexx » Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:16 pm

How pissed would you be to be Raffi?

"I can't ask Riker, Troi, Geordi etc. They'd come in heartbeat. They're my friends and I can't put them in danger.

Right Raffi let's go"

User avatar
No:1 Final Fantasy Fan
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: UK

PostRe: Star Trek: Picard. Fridays on Amazon Prime Video UK. Renewed for Season 2.
by No:1 Final Fantasy Fan » Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:48 pm

Another great episode! Not sure about the Captain and the scientist girl getting friendly tho...but off putting for Star Trek.

User avatar
Qikz
#420BlazeIt ♥
Joined in 2011

PostRe: Star Trek: Picard. Fridays on Amazon Prime Video UK. Renewed for Season 2.
by Qikz » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:43 am

Episode 7 was very nice.

Then again I always have loved Jonathan Frakes <3

Image
The Watching Artist wrote:I feel so inept next to Qikz...
User avatar
Corazon de Leon
Doctor ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Deadpool / sntaa

PostRe: Star Trek: Picard. Fridays on Amazon Prime Video UK. Renewed for Season 2.
by Corazon de Leon » Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:45 pm

Thoroughly enjoyed last night’s episode, thought it was the most Star Trek-y episode I’ve seen from the franchise since Voyager ended.

Image
User avatar
captain red dog
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Bristol, UK

PostRe: Star Trek: Picard. Fridays on Amazon Prime Video UK. Renewed for Season 2.
by captain red dog » Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:37 pm

Really enjoyed that episode. This series definitely needs more of the TNG characters. Picard, slowly, seems to be getting back to his old self a bit. It seems like Patrick Stewart has been subtly acting a bit older in the early episodes, but seems to be bringing the gravitas back to the character as the season goes on.

User avatar
Lex-Man
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Star Trek: Picard. Fridays on Amazon Prime Video UK. Renewed for Season 2.
by Lex-Man » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:04 am

I quite enjoyed the episode but it seemed like a bunch of filler stuff.

Amusement under late capitalism is the prolongation of work.
User avatar
Lex-Man
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Star Trek: Picard. Fridays on Amazon Prime Video UK. Renewed for Season 2.
by Lex-Man » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:11 am

Peter Crisp wrote:
Lagamorph wrote:Honestly, I think one of my biggest issues with Picard is one of the same issues I have with Discovery. The swearing.

I just don't see why Star Trek needs people dropping the F-bomb all over the place.


I must admit I hadn't noticed it but I can understand why it may bother you as part of being a Trek fan was knowing it was family friendly (even DS9 that got pretty hardcore at times) so you could sit and try and get the kids into it.
My main complaint about Discovery is the dark tone and use of graphic violence and sex (graphic for Trek anyway) and while Picard is in that same mould it's nowhere near as dark or graphic. I do however hope it can come to some kind of positive ending where the Federation wakes up and remembers it's own charter to help all species where it can and help the Romulans.


It's quite funny that Patrick Stuart was talking about how disappointed he was with Brexit but has made the most pro brexit version of Star Trek imaginable.

Amusement under late capitalism is the prolongation of work.
User avatar
Corazon de Leon
Doctor ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Deadpool / sntaa

PostRe: Star Trek: Picard. Fridays on Amazon Prime Video UK. Renewed for Season 2.
by Corazon de Leon » Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:40 am

What? The whole point of the show is that Picard is fighting against a version of the Federation who have withdrawn from their responsibilities in the style of Brexit. I don’t think it could be more critical if Picard walked out at the start of episode 1 with a sign that said “isolationism is wrong and stupid and if you support it you are too.”

Image
User avatar
Lex-Man
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Star Trek: Picard. Fridays on Amazon Prime Video UK. Renewed for Season 2.
by Lex-Man » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:48 am

Corazon de Leon wrote:What? The whole point of the show is that Picard is fighting against a version of the Federation who have withdrawn from their responsibilities in the style of Brexit. I don’t think it could be more critical if Picard walked out at the start of episode 1 with a sign that said “isolationism is wrong and stupid and if you support it you are too.”


But it's suggesting that large government systems are prone to corruption and that problems are better dealt with by small independent groups that are unencumbered by the choking bureaucracy of a large government. Picard has basically become an independent state to solve problems that the main government can't. He's basically Brexited the federation.

There's also another message about how the federation is causing a slip in people's living standards. Which could suggest that the kind of socialism / utopianism presented by the show is doomed to failure and will lead to worse outcomes. It's only an episode away from promoting capatlism.

Amusement under late capitalism is the prolongation of work.
User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Star Trek: Picard. Fridays on Amazon Prime Video UK. Renewed for Season 2.
by Peter Crisp » Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:25 pm

I really loved the new episode.
The short and sweet story of old characters from TNG being involved but Picard not wanting to put them in danger was well told with no over the top histrionics or unbelievable action was nice to see.

It managed to move the overall story on while having some touching moments.

jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
User avatar
Somebody Else's Problem
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

PostRe: Star Trek: Picard. Fridays on Amazon Prime Video UK. Renewed for Season 2.
by Somebody Else's Problem » Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:55 pm

Hexx wrote:How pissed would you be to be Raffi?

"I can't ask Riker, Troi, Geordi etc. They'd come in heartbeat. They're my friends and I can't put them in danger.

Right Raffi let's go"


He didn't invite Raffi. She hitched a ride to Freecloud, then stuck around. He never asked her to join.

Image
User avatar
Hexx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Star Trek: Picard. Fridays on Amazon Prime Video UK. Renewed for Season 2.
by Hexx » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:39 pm

Dumb Question



Why are the Zhat Vash keeping secret - if you get too far along Synthetic life, something comes to destory it.



I mean...just tell people? What does it need to be secret?

User avatar
Somebody Else's Problem
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

PostRe: Star Trek: Picard. Fridays on Amazon Prime Video UK. Renewed for Season 2.
by Somebody Else's Problem » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:23 pm

Hexx wrote:Dumb Question



Why are the Zhat Vash keeping secret - if you get too far along Synthetic life, something comes to destory it.



I mean...just tell people? What does it need to be secret?


They're Romulans. Everything is secret! Even things that would be perfectly logical to tell people!

Image
User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Star Trek: Picard. Fridays on Amazon Prime Video UK. Renewed for Season 2.
by Peter Crisp » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:24 pm

Somebody Else's Problem wrote:
Hexx wrote:Dumb Question



Why are the Zhat Vash keeping secret - if you get too far along Synthetic life, something comes to destory it.



I mean...just tell people? What does it need to be secret?


They're Romulans. Everything is secret! Even things that would be perfectly logical to tell people!


Even the sit or stand debate is regarded as beyond top secret.

jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.

Return to “Stuff”