Page 263 of 273

Re: (PCGT V) PC gaming is dead, press F to pay respects

Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:06 pm
by Meep
Only real down side is being stuck at 60Hz.

I also wonder about the utility of a 4k monitor for gaming. I still think its better to settle for QHD and save more GPU grunt for higher graphic settings. You will definitely notice 4K on a large living room display, although I think its impactfulness on a monitor depends on how close you are sitting and might not be as worthwhile.

Re: (PCGT V) PC gaming is dead, press F to pay respects

Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:45 pm
by Mafro
It'll be primarily for connecting to my MacBook Pro with USB-C to do web development, design work and programming but I'm considering building a gaming PC as well. Nothing extravagant or too pricey, just enough to play stuff like Overwatch, Dark Souls III, Witcher 3 and maybe Destiny 2 at 60fps and decent settings (not bothered at all about playing games at 4K btw) but I've got no idea where to start. Budget is probably £700-ish (please help)

Re: (PCGT V) PC gaming is dead, press F to pay respects

Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:19 pm
by Jamo3103
Mafro wrote:PC bois, any opinions on this monitor? https://www.lg.com/uk/monitors/lg-27UK850


I have the Lg-32ud99 which I think is very similar except for the size difference. Absolutely love it, probably the best monitor I've ever used and the picture is stunning. The HDR isn't considered true HDR10 because it doesn't reach the same brightness but it's plenty bright enough for a monitor and looks lovely.

I had an Asus Rog Swift PG279Q before that and I was concerned I'd miss the higher refresh rate but honestly it hasn't bothered me at all and I'm enjoying the resolution leap more.

I have had some minor issues with some 4K content on PS4 Pro which is my one and only issue, some white artifacts which apparently are a common issue with PS4 Pro and LG Monitors/TV's, something to do with black levels of something. Only really notice it in cut scenes/menus though and not on all games. Thought it was worth noting incase you're planning on running consoles through it though.

Re: (PCGT V) PC gaming is dead, press F to pay respects

Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:54 pm
by Karl_
Mafro wrote:just enough to play stuff like Overwatch

Image

KarlAM#21661 btw

Re: (PCGT V) PC gaming is dead, press F to pay respects

Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:56 pm
by Lagamorph
Be warned, Karl will try and steal Mei from those of us who deserve to play her.

Re: (PCGT V) PC gaming is dead, press F to pay respects

Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:15 am
by Karl_
You leave my waifu out of this

Re: (PCGT V) PC gaming is dead, press F to pay respects

Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:49 am
by False
Mafro wrote:It'll be primarily for connecting to my MacBook Pro with USB-C to do web development, design work and programming but I'm considering building a gaming PC as well. Nothing extravagant or too pricey, just enough to play stuff like Overwatch, Dark Souls III, Witcher 3 and maybe Destiny 2 at 60fps and decent settings (not bothered at all about playing games at 4K btw) but I've got no idea where to start. Budget is probably £700-ish (please help)


for those kind of use cases you probably want to look at an apple monitor or a dell ultrasharp, I hear they are generally hot gooseberry fool for it

from memory you would be better served with an IPS panel (not TN) and you are looking for something with high colour accuracy or factory calibration for the adobe rgb colourspace (costs more, but I guess that is where you will be working most)

apparently this one is decent: https://www.amazon.co.uk/BenQ-PD3200U-3 ... 3394154-21 - and has a cad mode etc and all the design focused features

I saw something that said the HP Z27 was the tits for colour grading and all that and I think it has usb-c, and thats reasonably inexpensive

or maybe the Dell U2718Q

just some ideas

Re: (PCGT V) PC gaming is dead, press F to pay respects

Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:00 pm
by Mafro
That BenQ one looks pretty tasty.

Re: (PCGT V) PC gaming is dead, press F to pay respects

Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:46 pm
by Mafro
How does this look? Not a strawberry floating clue what I'm doing tbh

Image

Re: (PCGT V) PC gaming is dead, press F to pay respects

Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:44 pm
by False
whats it for?

Re: (PCGT V) PC gaming is dead, press F to pay respects

Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:47 pm
by Mafro
PC Gaming.

Re: (PCGT V) PC gaming is dead, press F to pay respects

Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:12 pm
by Winckle
I thought you were a mac guy these days.

Re: (PCGT V) PC gaming is dead, press F to pay respects

Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:20 pm
by False
Mafro wrote:PC Gaming.


in that case

-the 'K' series processors are unlocked for overclocking, if there is an equivalent non-k for less money and you arent interested in overclocking then consider that
-8gb ram is really scraping by in 2018
-1050ti is simply not up to the task of reasonable gaming in 2018, if budget is a major concern then at least 1060, however I would personally allow for 1070+ (also nvidia are clearing the stocks of 1080's and 1080ti's for not that much money and they will legit last you at the high end for a couple of years at least)
-power supply probably needs a slight beef up if you are gonna add a better graphics card and more hdd's
-standard cooler will be servicable but you really want a better one if you want to maintain boost speeds in gaming (you do)

all in all it comes across to me as a very budget build. It will work *fine* if its cheap enough (£550-600?) but I question the wisdom of things like a K series and a strix board with a 1050 and 450w...

Re: (PCGT V) PC gaming is dead, press F to pay respects

Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:22 pm
by Mafro
Winckle wrote:I thought you were a mac guy these days.

Barely use it for gaming mostly coursework.

Re: (PCGT V) PC gaming is dead, press F to pay respects

Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:23 pm
by False
if its mostly coursework then its fine, gaming will be mostly medium-some low settings 1080p60

Re: (PCGT V) PC gaming is dead, press F to pay respects

Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:31 pm
by Mafro
False wrote:
Mafro wrote:PC Gaming.


in that case

-the 'K' series processors are unlocked for overclocking, if there is an equivalent non-k for less money and you arent interested in overclocking then consider that
-8gb ram is really scraping by in 2018
-1050ti is simply not up to the task of reasonable gaming in 2018, if budget is a major concern then at least 1060, however I would personally allow for 1070+ (also nvidia are clearing the stocks of 1080's and 1080ti's for not that much money and they will legit last you at the high end for a couple of years at least)
-power supply probably needs a slight beef up if you are gonna add a better graphics card and more hdd's
-standard cooler will be servicable but you really want a better one if you want to maintain boost speeds in gaming (you do)

all in all it comes across to me as a very budget build. It will work *fine* if its cheap enough (£550-600?) but I question the wisdom of things like a K series and a strix board with a 1050 and 450w...

Yeah I'm going for a budget build specifically targeted at some of the games I mentioned above.

Re: (PCGT V) PC gaming is dead, press F to pay respects

Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:35 pm
by False
I would recommend a 1070 and 16gb of ram honestly fam

whats your budget? Ill have a look at some of the prebuilt sites later tonight if you really dont fancy doing it yourself

Re: (PCGT V) PC gaming is dead, press F to pay respects

Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:55 pm
by Mafro
False wrote:I would recommend a 1070 and 16gb of ram honestly fam

whats your budget? Ill have a look at some of the prebuilt sites later tonight if you really dont fancy doing it yourself

It was lower but I could probably stretch to £800-900, possibly a little more. Yeah if you could have a look for me that would be a big help.

Re: (PCGT V) PC gaming is dead, press F to pay respects

Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:08 pm
by Meep
Took me most of the day due to some complications but I finally finished building me new PC. There are a few tweaks that could be made that I will use my Christmas vouchers to address but overall I am pretty happy. Have yet to perform any stress tests and what not. Will leave that to the weekend.

Re: (PCGT V) PC gaming is dead, press F to pay respects

Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:51 pm
by <]:^D
feels good doesnt it? :D