(PCGT VI) Nvidia 3000 series out - Spineless Tafdolphin crumbles under peer pressure

Anything to do with games at all.
User avatar
Victor Mildew
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: (PCGT VI) Nvidia 3000 series out - Spineless Tafdolphin crumbles under peer pressure
by Victor Mildew » Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:23 pm

I think I paid about £300 for my x1900xtx, and £480 for my 1070.

As you say, the amount of fun I've had out of them makes it worth it, I don't mind spending the money if im going to get thousands of hours use out of it.

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.
User avatar
Bertie
Member
Joined in 2011

PostRe: (PCGT VI) Nvidia 3000 series out - Spineless Tafdolphin crumbles under peer pressure
by Bertie » Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:23 pm

I run a 3600x and they are pretty cheap at the minute. I would recommend them, I reckon they will do you right for the next year or so.

GPUs are nuts. The 30 series I see pop up are always above RRP. Hopefully in the summer it improves.

I still recognise how lucky I was to win a 3070. Its a huge improvement over the 1660 super I spent £200 on for my build. While GPU prices have spiked, I helped a kid out on gumtree who bought my 1660s. I put it on for a very good £160 and let him have it for £100 when I realised it was a nice young lad.

User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Jenuall
Location: 40 light-years outside of the Exeter nebula
Contact:

PostRe: (PCGT VI) Nvidia 3000 series out - Spineless Tafdolphin crumbles under peer pressure
by Jenuall » Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:33 pm

Yeah trade-in / resale cost is definitely something to factor in, I managed to get about £100 for my 970 when I sold it and upgraded to the 2070 Super

User avatar
Memento Mori
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Emperor Mori

PostRe: (PCGT VI) Nvidia 3000 series out - Spineless Tafdolphin crumbles under peer pressure
by Memento Mori » Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:40 pm

That's not a growth wrote:Yeah I was similar price points until the 970 felt too expensive for me at the time. Now I wish I could get a 3070 for less than 300 quid, that would be incredible.

3070 FE MSRP was like £450 at launch so you're not getting a sub £300 3070 for a long time. I paid £540 for a MSI 3070 at launch.

User avatar
Memento Mori
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Emperor Mori

PostRe: (PCGT VI) Nvidia 3000 series out - Spineless Tafdolphin crumbles under peer pressure
by Memento Mori » Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:04 pm


User avatar
Bertie
Member
Joined in 2011

PostRe: (PCGT VI) Nvidia 3000 series out - Spineless Tafdolphin crumbles under peer pressure
by Bertie » Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:28 pm

£1400 for a GPU. Sheesh! The cost of my whole system. It’s just not worth it unless you have mega bucks and just because. I think the problem is all the 20 series, 2080/2070 are still really high prices, even 2nd hand.

User avatar
That's not a growth
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: (PCGT VI) Nvidia 3000 series out - Spineless Tafdolphin crumbles under peer pressure
by That's not a growth » Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:30 pm

Memento Mori wrote:
That's not a growth wrote:Yeah I was similar price points until the 970 felt too expensive for me at the time. Now I wish I could get a 3070 for less than 300 quid, that would be incredible.

3070 FE MSRP was like £450 at launch so you're not getting a sub £300 3070 for a long time. I paid £540 for a MSI 3070 at launch.


Oh I know, but just the idea that the xx70 (and other tiers) card has gone up so much just hurts when thinking about it from a historical price point of view. Like how current consoles hurt when I think about the GameCube launch price.

User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: (PCGT VI) Nvidia 3000 series out - Spineless Tafdolphin crumbles under peer pressure
by Peter Crisp » Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:28 pm

Even if I had loads of money I don't think I could bring myself to spend £1400 on a gpu.

I can afford a £3000 PC if I need one or be executed but I'm a cheapscate and paying £450 each for the XSX and PS5 made me feel naughty.
I suppose it's why I watch those Linus vids about a $20k gaming pc in a desk and just don't understand why anyone would spend that.

jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
User avatar
Imrahil
Member
Joined in 2013
Location: Location, Location

PostRe: (PCGT VI) Nvidia 3000 series out - Spineless Tafdolphin crumbles under peer pressure
by Imrahil » Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:45 am

I'm a PC gamer and I've never spent more than £150 on a GPU - always been able to play the latest games without any problems. Not at the very highest settings and mega high framerates obviously, but close enough to not really notice a major difference.

User avatar
Tafdolphin
RETURN POLICY ABUSER
RETURN POLICY ABUSER
Joined in 2008

PostRe: (PCGT VI) Nvidia 3000 series out - Spineless Tafdolphin crumbles under peer pressure
by Tafdolphin » Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:33 pm

Rumours going about that the 3080ti has gone from 20 to 12gb of memory and had its cuda cores reduced, probably to keep the 3090 as a viable option for those people crazy enough to be thinking about buying one.

HUM

---------------------------
Games wot I worked on:
Night Call: Out now!
Rip Them Off: Out now!
Chinatown Detective Agency: 2021!
t: @Tafdolphin | Twitch: Tafdolphin
User avatar
Bertie
Member
Joined in 2011

PostRe: (PCGT VI) Nvidia 3000 series out - Spineless Tafdolphin crumbles under peer pressure
by Bertie » Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:17 pm

Tafdolphin wrote:Rumours going about that the 3080ti has gone from 20 to 12gb of memory and had its cuda cores reduced, probably to keep the 3090 as a viable option for those people crazy enough to be thinking about buying one.

HUM


There wasn’t much gap between the 3080 and 3090 anyway. Cheeky from Nvidia this, and AMDs failure to get properly in the game has let nvidia do it. I think if the AMD series were real alternatives in some of the ray tracing applications (e.g. cyberpunk) you could see nvidia having to step up. Now, no need. Can drop feed more cards in over a longer period and still make all the monies!

User avatar
Tafdolphin
RETURN POLICY ABUSER
RETURN POLICY ABUSER
Joined in 2008

PostRe: (PCGT VI) Nvidia 3000 series out - Spineless Tafdolphin crumbles under peer pressure
by Tafdolphin » Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:47 pm

Apart from those people worried about Vram for...whatever asinine reason I don't see where the 3080ti fits regardless. It's obviously going to be over a grand and if you're spending that much you may as well just grab a 3090.

---------------------------
Games wot I worked on:
Night Call: Out now!
Rip Them Off: Out now!
Chinatown Detective Agency: 2021!
t: @Tafdolphin | Twitch: Tafdolphin
User avatar
Meep
Member
Joined in 2010
Location: Belfast

PostRe: (PCGT VI) Nvidia 3000 series out - Spineless Tafdolphin crumbles under peer pressure
by Meep » Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:20 pm

Upgrading my 2070 to a 3060 ti cost me about £250 after flogging the old GPU. Not bad for something that should last me three or four years and can probably be resold at that point for a reasonable fraction of its initial cost.

That said, I bought before prices went through the roof in January. If someone had told me last year that the situation would get even worse for these things by now I wouldn't have taken them seriously.

User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: (PCGT VI) Nvidia 3000 series out - Spineless Tafdolphin crumbles under peer pressure
by Lagamorph » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:57 pm

So there are rumours going around that Nvidia are going to already declare the current 3000 series as End of Life in order to replace them with revised versions that are anti-crypto mining.

The new 3060 is the first of these and will basically throttle crypto mining from the start.
The reason for revised hardware is because doing it at a driver level would just give people the ability to roll back to older drivers, but with new hardware there aren't older drivers to revert to.

They're also going to release new sets of cards specifically for crypto mining.

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Tafdolphin
RETURN POLICY ABUSER
RETURN POLICY ABUSER
Joined in 2008

PostRe: (PCGT VI) Nvidia 3000 series out - Spineless Tafdolphin crumbles under peer pressure
by Tafdolphin » Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:06 pm

So what you're saying is...my 3080 is only going to go UP in value?

---------------------------
Games wot I worked on:
Night Call: Out now!
Rip Them Off: Out now!
Chinatown Detective Agency: 2021!
t: @Tafdolphin | Twitch: Tafdolphin
User avatar
Knoyleo
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: (PCGT VI) Nvidia 3000 series out - Spineless Tafdolphin crumbles under peer pressure
by Knoyleo » Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:10 pm

Even if the 3060 isn't going to miners, it still looks like supply is going to be so bad that it's barely worth trying, and I doubt we'll see anything close to RRP.

pjbetman wrote:That's the stupidest thing ive ever read on here i think.
User avatar
Knoyleo
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: (PCGT VI) Nvidia 3000 series out - Spineless Tafdolphin crumbles under peer pressure
by Knoyleo » Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:21 pm

Lagamorph wrote:So there are rumours going around that Nvidia are going to already declare the current 3000 series as End of Life in order to replace them with revised versions that are anti-crypto mining.

The new 3060 is the first of these and will basically throttle crypto mining from the start.
The reason for revised hardware is because doing it at a driver level would just give people the ability to roll back to older drivers, but with new hardware there aren't older drivers to revert to.

They're also going to release new sets of cards specifically for crypto mining.

From what I've read elsewhere, the 3060 is the stop gap model, so it's a driver based hash rate reduction on those, so potentially still reversible, then it will be hardware based from the next generation of cards, and with a separate production model of a dedicated mining chip also available, to draw miners away from the standard GPU line.

pjbetman wrote:That's the stupidest thing ive ever read on here i think.
User avatar
Karl_
Dr. Nyaaa~!
Dr. Nyaaa~!
Joined in 2008

PostRe: (PCGT VI) Nvidia 3000 series out - Spineless Tafdolphin crumbles under peer pressure
by Karl_ » Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:39 pm

I'm surprised to hear NVidia taking a stance against miners, because I thought they would welcome the high demand. But I guess if they are building bespoke cryptomining hardware for that market then that makes sense.

User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: (PCGT VI) Nvidia 3000 series out - Spineless Tafdolphin crumbles under peer pressure
by Peter Crisp » Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:40 pm

Are the more expensive PC cards getting to the point where they're as good as you need for 4K?
They can do raytracing and at high enough FPS at high or max settings.

They don't need all that much more do they?

jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: (PCGT VI) Nvidia 3000 series out - Spineless Tafdolphin crumbles under peer pressure
by Lagamorph » Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:41 pm

Knoyleo wrote:
Lagamorph wrote:So there are rumours going around that Nvidia are going to already declare the current 3000 series as End of Life in order to replace them with revised versions that are anti-crypto mining.

The new 3060 is the first of these and will basically throttle crypto mining from the start.
The reason for revised hardware is because doing it at a driver level would just give people the ability to roll back to older drivers, but with new hardware there aren't older drivers to revert to.

They're also going to release new sets of cards specifically for crypto mining.

From what I've read elsewhere, the 3060 is the stop gap model, so it's a driver based hash rate reduction on those, so potentially still reversible, then it will be hardware based from the next generation of cards, and with a separate production model of a dedicated mining chip also available, to draw miners away from the standard GPU line.

From what I understand the 3060 won't work with older drivers so can't be rolled back to one's without the hash rate reduction in place.

Karl_ wrote:I'm surprised to hear NVidia taking a stance against miners, because I thought they would welcome the high demand. But I guess if they are building bespoke cryptomining hardware for that market then that makes sense.

I believe the bespoke mining hardware is also significantly more power efficient as well, which is very good news as cryptomining is currently a massive power draw.

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right

Return to “Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Balladeer, DarkRula, deathofcows, Godzilla, Lime, Mafro, Memento Mori, Rubix, Saint of Killers, TonyDA, Zerudaaaaa!, Zilnad and 179 guests