(PCGT VI) Nvidia 3000 series out - Spineless Tafdolphin crumbles under peer pressure

Anything to do with games at all.
User avatar
Bertie
Member
Joined in 2011

PostRe: (PCGT VI) Nvidia 3000 series out - Spineless Tafdolphin crumbles under peer pressure
by Bertie » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:19 pm

I won a 3070. Incredible really given how rare they are. I love it. BFV looks utterly incredible and whacking everything on ‘ultra’ and ramping the FOV up is amazing. Looks so good!!

Made my old 1660 super look pathetic and the 3600x is at 50-70% load (I think DLSS is part of that) and so temps are through the roof. Replacing the stock cooler now!

User avatar
Xeno
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: (PCGT VI) Nvidia 3000 series out - Spineless Tafdolphin crumbles under peer pressure
by Xeno » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:27 pm

Congrats on the win. That must have been something of a surprise.

User avatar
Bertie
Member
Joined in 2011

PostRe: (PCGT VI) Nvidia 3000 series out - Spineless Tafdolphin crumbles under peer pressure
by Bertie » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:13 pm

Yep. There is a guy who has been doing raffles. He gets a decent mark up, but not stupid like some you see. My luck has been in.

I’ve been interested in a series X, but not now with a £500 GPU.

User avatar
Tafdolphin
RETURN POLICY ABUSER
RETURN POLICY ABUSER
Joined in 2008

PostRe: (PCGT VI) Nvidia 3000 series out - Spineless Tafdolphin crumbles under peer pressure
by Tafdolphin » Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:49 am

Hang on... Did you win one, or did you win the chance to buy one off a scalper?

If it's the former, massive congrats that's ace.

---------------------------
Games wot I worked on:
Night Call: Out now!
Rip Them Off: Out now!
Chinatown Detective Agency: 2021!
t: @Tafdolphin | Twitch: Tafdolphin
User avatar
Bertie
Member
Joined in 2011

PostRe: (PCGT VI) Nvidia 3000 series out - Spineless Tafdolphin crumbles under peer pressure
by Bertie » Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:39 pm

Tafdolphin wrote:Hang on... Did you win one, or did you win the chance to buy one off a scalper?

If it's the former, massive congrats that's ace.


I won an actual 3070 on Friday (20th) and fitted it to my machine Tuesday (24th).

I’ve got the PC bug back. GPU is awesome.

User avatar
andretmzt
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Fareham

PostRe: (PCGT VI) Nvidia 3000 series out - Spineless Tafdolphin crumbles under peer pressure
by andretmzt » Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:19 pm

That's fantastic!

My 1080 Ti is fine, but having to turn down all my settings on some games to get close to 144 fps out of them is starting to hurt a little. Fortunate that my need to save money for the house comes at the same time as there being strawberry float all stock for anything.

HSH28 wrote:No Last Guardian.
No new exclusive PS4 games.
No longer free MP for PS4.

Microsoft win E3.
User avatar
Memento Mori
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Emperor Mori

PostRe: (PCGT VI) Nvidia 3000 series out - Spineless Tafdolphin crumbles under peer pressure
by Memento Mori » Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:16 pm

Was wondering why the performance of Rise of the Tomb Raider had gone from 120-144FPS to 60-80 when I played it yesterday. For some reason the game decided to put itself on 4K and lock to 60HZ. :dread: I can't go back to 60FPS now.

User avatar
jiggles
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: pyxl-8

PostRe: (PCGT VI) Nvidia 3000 series out - Spineless Tafdolphin crumbles under peer pressure
by jiggles » Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:25 pm

My 1080Ti was a beast until I got this superwide monitor and now it’s a strawberry floating potato and I’m back to consoles for a while.

Streaming: Twitch | Tweeting: Twitter
User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Jenuall
Location: 40 light-years outside of the Exeter nebula
Contact:

PostRe: (PCGT VI) Nvidia 3000 series out - Spineless Tafdolphin crumbles under peer pressure
by Jenuall » Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:06 pm

Memento Mori wrote:Was wondering why the performance of Rise of the Tomb Raider had gone from 120-144FPS to 60-80 when I played it yesterday. For some reason the game decided to put itself on 4K and lock to 60HZ. :dread: I can't go back to 60FPS now.

Yeah I can't believe how much worse 60 feels after experiencing 120HZ!

Image
User avatar
Tafdolphin
RETURN POLICY ABUSER
RETURN POLICY ABUSER
Joined in 2008

PostRe: (PCGT VI) Nvidia 3000 series out - Spineless Tafdolphin crumbles under peer pressure
by Tafdolphin » Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:24 pm

My 5600x arrived today! After about an hour and a half setting stuff up, it actually all worked first time! The only issue was the CPU cooler: the adapter kit I ordered for the new AM4 boards for some reason only worked on one orientation so my cooler is now facing up rather than blowing air into the extraction fan. Not sure how that's going to affect thermals, but I guess we'll find out.

---------------------------
Games wot I worked on:
Night Call: Out now!
Rip Them Off: Out now!
Chinatown Detective Agency: 2021!
t: @Tafdolphin | Twitch: Tafdolphin
User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Jenuall
Location: 40 light-years outside of the Exeter nebula
Contact:

PostRe: (PCGT VI) Nvidia 3000 series out - Spineless Tafdolphin crumbles under peer pressure
by Jenuall » Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:18 pm

Glad you finally got hold of it, is that everything now?

Like you say it will be interesting to see how the somewhat unorthodox cooler orientation impacts the thermals, hopefully it won't make a huge difference. I've been really pleased with the temps I've been getting out of my new build, it's currently idling at 28c and even in the most intense gaming and benchmarks I've thrown at it seems to stay in the 60's other than the odd spike which is nice. I've yet to really look at overclocking it which might push those numbers higher though.

Image
User avatar
Bertie
Member
Joined in 2011

PostRe: (PCGT VI) Nvidia 3000 series out - Spineless Tafdolphin crumbles under peer pressure
by Bertie » Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:18 pm

Tafdolphin wrote:My 5600x arrived today! After about an hour and a half setting stuff up, it actually all worked first time! The only issue was the CPU cooler: the adapter kit I ordered for the new AM4 boards for some reason only worked on one orientation so my cooler is now facing up rather than blowing air into the extraction fan. Not sure how that's going to affect thermals, but I guess we'll find out.


Hmmm, weird. What you get?

After fitting the 3070 my ambient and CPU temps have rocketed on the 3600x and wraith spire. I’ve got the Noctura black single tower and slim air cooler coming to hopefully help. Took me a few hours to find a cooler that would fit, and didn’t need me to mess with the backplate.

User avatar
Tafdolphin
RETURN POLICY ABUSER
RETURN POLICY ABUSER
Joined in 2008

PostRe: (PCGT VI) Nvidia 3000 series out - Spineless Tafdolphin crumbles under peer pressure
by Tafdolphin » Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:35 pm

I've an old Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo. It needed a new bracket to work with my x570 mobo, which I ordered from Coolermaster, and it does fit, but only one way, with the tower at a right angle to the rear panel.

EDIT: Now I'm having issues with the RealTek Audio manager. It stopped worked, and now it's disappeared completely. I tried downloading the drivers from the MSI site but now under device manager there's two controllers: "High Definition Audio Device" and "Realtek(R) Audio". When I try and install Manager from RealTek it fails with error code 0001.

UUURGGH

EDIT 2: After 3 hours of strawberry floating about I finally got things back to where they were before. Lord.

---------------------------
Games wot I worked on:
Night Call: Out now!
Rip Them Off: Out now!
Chinatown Detective Agency: 2021!
t: @Tafdolphin | Twitch: Tafdolphin
User avatar
Tafdolphin
RETURN POLICY ABUSER
RETURN POLICY ABUSER
Joined in 2008

PostRe: (PCGT VI) Nvidia 3000 series out - Spineless Tafdolphin crumbles under peer pressure
by Tafdolphin » Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:30 am

Jenuall wrote:Glad you finally got hold of it, is that everything now?

Like you say it will be interesting to see how the somewhat unorthodox cooler orientation impacts the thermals, hopefully it won't make a huge difference. I've been really pleased with the temps I've been getting out of my new build, it's currently idling at 28c and even in the most intense gaming and benchmarks I've thrown at it seems to stay in the 60's other than the odd spike which is nice. I've yet to really look at overclocking it which might push those numbers higher though.


Yup, that's everything.

Using HWMonitor my 5600x is idling at around 40 but it spiked at 60 while...downloading something? That's not great but there's apparently been some issues with this generally so I don't think it's my cooler. Going to try lowering the voltage a little as suggested here

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/j ... n_5_5600x/

---------------------------
Games wot I worked on:
Night Call: Out now!
Rip Them Off: Out now!
Chinatown Detective Agency: 2021!
t: @Tafdolphin | Twitch: Tafdolphin
User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Jenuall
Location: 40 light-years outside of the Exeter nebula
Contact:

PostRe: (PCGT VI) Nvidia 3000 series out - Spineless Tafdolphin crumbles under peer pressure
by Jenuall » Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:36 am

I'm sure I read somewhere that the 5000 series chips are expected to run hotter by design? I might be wrong about that though.

Only downside I've found on my build so far is that since moving to 1440p my GPU is obviously working harder and although this has been fine in terms of performance and I'm still getting FPS that I'm very happy with, it's obviously pushing the temps as the average utilisation is higher than before. This has revealed to me that my GPU is strawberry floating loud when the fans really kick in! :lol:

I've now got a setup where the CPU and case fans are pretty damned quiet even at full speed, but as soon as the GPU ones kick up then you know about it! :fp:

Image
User avatar
Memento Mori
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Emperor Mori

PostRe: (PCGT VI) Nvidia 3000 series out - Spineless Tafdolphin crumbles under peer pressure
by Memento Mori » Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:24 am

Tafdolphin wrote:
Jenuall wrote:Glad you finally got hold of it, is that everything now?

Like you say it will be interesting to see how the somewhat unorthodox cooler orientation impacts the thermals, hopefully it won't make a huge difference. I've been really pleased with the temps I've been getting out of my new build, it's currently idling at 28c and even in the most intense gaming and benchmarks I've thrown at it seems to stay in the 60's other than the odd spike which is nice. I've yet to really look at overclocking it which might push those numbers higher though.


Yup, that's everything.

Using HWMonitor my 5600x is idling at around 40 but it spiked at 60 while...downloading something? That's not great but there's apparently been some issues with this generally so I don't think it's my cooler. Going to try lowering the voltage a little as suggested here

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/j ... n_5_5600x/

I'm using a big Noctua cooler and my 5600X is similar. Around 35C idle and the highest I've seen it was 57C when it was downloading games off Steam and writing a load to the hard drive. It hasn't got that hot playing games.

User avatar
Tafdolphin
RETURN POLICY ABUSER
RETURN POLICY ABUSER
Joined in 2008

PostRe: (PCGT VI) Nvidia 3000 series out - Spineless Tafdolphin crumbles under peer pressure
by Tafdolphin » Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:52 am

Playing CoD Cold War and peak temps hit 82. I mean, it's hot but not extreme?

---------------------------
Games wot I worked on:
Night Call: Out now!
Rip Them Off: Out now!
Chinatown Detective Agency: 2021!
t: @Tafdolphin | Twitch: Tafdolphin
User avatar
andretmzt
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Fareham

PostRe: (PCGT VI) Nvidia 3000 series out - Spineless Tafdolphin crumbles under peer pressure
by andretmzt » Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:55 am

Tafdolphin wrote:EDIT: Now I'm having issues with the RealTek Audio manager. It stopped worked, and now it's disappeared completely. I tried downloading the drivers from the MSI site but now under device manager there's two controllers: "High Definition Audio Device" and "Realtek(R) Audio". When I try and install Manager from RealTek it fails with error code 0001.

UUURGGH

EDIT 2: After 3 hours of strawberry floating about I finally got things back to where they were before. Lord.


Of all the things I have had to deal with on PCs over the years, issues with sound are still bollocks to deal with. Everything else has moved on, especially WiFi because strawberry float me, was that a ballache to mess with 10 years ago, but sound drivers and devices? Stuck in the past. Microsoft aren't helping either with their move away from the Control Panel.

HSH28 wrote:No Last Guardian.
No new exclusive PS4 games.
No longer free MP for PS4.

Microsoft win E3.
User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Jenuall
Location: 40 light-years outside of the Exeter nebula
Contact:

PostRe: (PCGT VI) Nvidia 3000 series out - Spineless Tafdolphin crumbles under peer pressure
by Jenuall » Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:00 pm

I've not had a problem with sound drivers for a long time now, but annoying to hear these don't seem to be uncommon problems still.

I was genuinely surprised by how smoothly my last few builds have gone, everything basically just worked as expected first time - no compatibility issues, no devices not being detected etc.

I'd say I've been lucky but that's just inviting the opportunity for it to blow up in my face! :lol:

Image
User avatar
Tafdolphin
RETURN POLICY ABUSER
RETURN POLICY ABUSER
Joined in 2008

PostRe: (PCGT VI) Nvidia 3000 series out - Spineless Tafdolphin crumbles under peer pressure
by Tafdolphin » Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:17 pm

Yeah, so far apart from the sound nonsense it went remarkably smoothly. I put that down to advances in tech rather then any skill on my part though.

EDIT: Huh. Apparently the Zen 3 series really does run hot by design

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/j ... 3_thermal/

AMDs Robert Hallocks stating there that temps of up to 95C are seen as normal!

Ha.

82 doesn't seem so bad now.

---------------------------
Games wot I worked on:
Night Call: Out now!
Rip Them Off: Out now!
Chinatown Detective Agency: 2021!
t: @Tafdolphin | Twitch: Tafdolphin

Return to “Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Frank, GrinWithoutaKat, Jamo3103, Monkey Man, OldSoulCyborg, Photek, Poser, Qikz and 159 guests