PlayStation to skip E3 2019 + EA dropping their conference too

Anything to do with games at all.
User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: PlayStation to skip E3 2019
by Peter Crisp » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:34 pm

Preezy wrote:Girls wish their man loved them like Nick loves Sony.


Girls wish they could give reacharounds as good as Sony.

jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
NickSCFC

PostRe: PlayStation to skip E3 2019
by NickSCFC » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:39 pm

Mafro wrote:
Photek wrote:
NickSCFC wrote:
Photek wrote:
NickSCFC wrote:
jezhumphrey75 wrote:Sony don't have to make much effort to sell there machines and games people will buy there stuff regardless wether they do shows or dont, look how much effort ms have changed the xbox and still they don't sell in Europe or japan, face it Sony only need to release trailers and they'll do well.


Yet, outside of Forza, they remain incapable of creating great games.

Microsoft and Phil Spencer talk and talk and talk, but continually cancel and delay games, and when games actually do come they're incomplete and buggy like Sea of Thieves or State of Decay, or they offer nothing new like Halo 5 and Gears 4.

Sony stay quiet yet release great games like God of War, Spider-man, Last of Us, Uncharted, SotC, Horizon, Bloodborne and Astrobot consistently.

Now which one do you think consumers really care about?

Incredible.


Go on then, what's your reason for PS4 selling at over twice the rate of Xbox One?

:lol: :fp:

I don't think Nick has taken this news too well :lol:


To be honest I didn't really expect them to show much other than new trailers for their 4 big upcoming games and release dates.

Providing Santa Monica, Naughty Dog team B, Insomniac and the rest are now working on PS5 titles then there's nothing to show.

I think Nintendo are the ones to watch next year with Metroid Prime 3, Pokémon RPG and a possibile Switch revision.

User avatar
Ad7
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: PlayStation to skip E3 2019
by Ad7 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:42 pm

Dual wrote:
Ad7 wrote:It feels like the ps4 only came out a couple of years ago.


tfw everyone talking about ps5 and I'm still playing on my launch ps4 playing games from 2 years ago

Upvote me if u agree


1 share = 1 month of ps now

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.
User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: PlayStation to skip E3 2019
by Tomous » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:24 pm

NickSCFC wrote:I think Nintendo are the ones to watch next year with Metroid Prime 3, Pokémon RPG and a possibile Switch revision.



Nintendo potentially have a huge lineup for next year, which they should do really after such a quiet year 2.

Image
Gemini73

PostRe: PlayStation to skip E3 2019
by Gemini73 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:38 pm

Nintendo and Microsoft confirm E3 attendance

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018 ... on-no-show

User avatar
Captain Kinopio
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Herbi
Location: The Observatory

PostRe: PlayStation to skip E3 2019
by Captain Kinopio » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:14 pm

Venom wrote:Captain Kinopio, Sony also decided to not host a PSX event in December. They gave the same explanation for that which I think can be taken at face value. If they had a lot of PS4 games to show they’d show them wouldn’t they?!


PSX has always been pretty Ill defined. It's gone from being a fan fest to a 2nd E3 to a weird GDC thing. I'm not sure why they didn't have it this year, nobody is demanding announcements from them. Though having said that, they downplayed what to expect last year and still people were annoyed it wasn't anything. I don't see why they couldn't just go back to a fan fest and forgo a presentation at all, but maybe they don't see it as a worthwhile investment nearing the end of the gen. Fundamentally it's their thing though, they can do what they want with it.

E3 is an industry showcase though, they're expected to be there for themselves, 3rd party devs, other showcasers, media and everyone else who goes, which now includes fans of videogames. I'd say it's a pretty safe bet that Dreams, TLoU2, Death Stranding and Ghost of Tsushima will not be out by June next year, so a lack of games doesn't seem like a reason not to show up. It seems to me that they don't want another event where Microsoft in particular continue to make consumer and fan friendly decisions while they look like the bad guy by comparison. Particularly with the next generation and purchasing decisions on people's minds. Of course they could make they're own moves but they probably don't want to hurt their bottom line. The fact that this will be the 4th E3 for Death Stranding, God knows how many for Dreams and getting on for a 3rd year (I think) we've known about TLoU and Ghosts, also makes for pretty bad optics. However if you're going to sell your console to people on games that are years away (which they undoubtedly have), then you have to suck it up and take the bad with the good, not just pretend you've not done it and walk away from the biggest industry exhibition.

They know E3 is an event that people who enjoy gaming love and by just not showing up they're disappointing a lot of fans of the industry and they're own, and they know it. I don't really mind that much, it's a shame but there's plenty else going on at E3 and I don't really follow Sony's output outside of the conference. I think it's a bit of an easy goal for MS and Nintendo though, not being part of the conversation doesn't exempt you from criticism, it just means you can't respond.

User avatar
Jordan UK
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: PlayStation to skip E3 2019
by Jordan UK » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:53 pm

I can’t help but feel this is a bit of a gamble. Sure, they’re clearly working on PS5 and there’s a lot of positivity among the general public towards PlayStation at the moment but I feel they have missed a trick.

It seems like Sony are resting on their laurels a bit. I imagine Xbox are going to make a song and dance of Game Pass and its compatibility with whatever Scarlet will be as well as new studio game announcements at E3. The value proposition of game pass for the general consumer will be a massive draw. I think Sony have got their work cut out.

User avatar
Venom
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
Location: London
Contact:

PostRe: PlayStation to skip E3 2019
by Venom » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:50 pm

Image

Sony gave a statement to Game Informer. I've bolded a couple of pertinent points which are interesting. It suggest that the change away from E3 is because of other reasons. So perhaps there will be a 'PlayStation Direct' type show and PSX. Without a doubt this is because of new boss John Tsuyoshi Kodera, I hope he has a clear vision and this is not change for change's sake.

Sony's statement to Game Informer wrote:“As the industry evolves, Sony Interactive Entertainment continues to look for inventive opportunities to engage the community," the company told Game Informer in a statement. "PlayStation fans mean the world to us and we always want to innovate, think differently and experiment with new ways to delight gamers. As a result, we have decided not to participate in E3 in 2019. We are exploring new and familiar ways to engage our community in 2019 and can’t wait to share our plans with you.”

When asked if Sony would push its event off-site, similar to how Electronic Arts provides a show adjacent to E3, PlayStation senior vice president of communications Jennifer Clark elaborated further saying, "We will not activate or hold a press conference around E3."

https://www.gameinformer.com/2018/11/15 ... e3-in-2019


At interesting point I never thought of was made by Andrea Rene on Kinda Funny. She said the conferences are big not just for the manufacturers but also the big third parties who have such a big stage to promote their products. If Activision can't promote the new Call of Duty on an E3 stage will that make them more inclined to switch partnership?

User avatar
ITSMILNER
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: UK

PostRe: PlayStation to skip E3 2019
by ITSMILNER » Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:42 pm

Venom wrote:Image

Sony gave a statement to Game Informer. I've bolded a couple of pertinent points which are interesting. It suggest that the change away from E3 is because of other reasons. So perhaps there will be a 'PlayStation Direct' type show and PSX. Without a doubt this is because of new boss John Tsuyoshi Kodera, I hope he has a clear vision and this is not change for change's sake.

Sony's statement to Game Informer wrote:“As the industry evolves, Sony Interactive Entertainment continues to look for inventive opportunities to engage the community," the company told Game Informer in a statement. "PlayStation fans mean the world to us and we always want to innovate, think differently and experiment with new ways to delight gamers. As a result, we have decided not to participate in E3 in 2019. We are exploring new and familiar ways to engage our community in 2019 and can’t wait to share our plans with you.”

When asked if Sony would push its event off-site, similar to how Electronic Arts provides a show adjacent to E3, PlayStation senior vice president of communications Jennifer Clark elaborated further saying, "We will not activate or hold a press conference around E3."

https://www.gameinformer.com/2018/11/15 ... e3-in-2019


At interesting point I never thought of was made by Andrea Rene on Kinda Funny. She said the conferences are big not just for the manufacturers but also the big third parties who have such a big stage to promote their products. If Activision can't promote the new Call of Duty on an E3 stage will that make them more inclined to switch partnership?


The only thing you could say is that, at E3, a lot of games get lost in the sea of new announcements. If Sony decide to start a new ‘PlayStation Direct’ style show, with all eyes firmly on them, 3rd parties might prefer that?

Long Live Switch Squad!
User avatar
OrangeRKN
SONM & Cake Sec.
SONM & Cake Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: PlayStation to skip E3 2019
by OrangeRKN » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:02 am

Now EA aren't doing a press conference either:

https://www.ea.com/en-gb/news/announcing-ea-play-2019
EA wrote:It all starts this year on Friday night, June 7, 2019, with an all-new EA PLAY kickoff event. We're skipping the press conference this year and are replacing it with multiple live streams that will air during the first two days of the event, bringing you more of what you've told us you want - more gameplay and insights from the teams making the games.


EA has always been "the boring one", but it's still sad to see another conference gone. E3 live streams can be good but they are too drawn out and clash with others, so for me end up being watched later for games of interest.

"Nintendo fanboys are the worst kind" - gamerforever
Image
Image
Web - RedBubble - @OrangeRakoon - GOTY 2018
jawafour
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: PlayStation to skip E3 2019
by jawafour » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:16 am

Yeah, for me the E3 experience is pretty much finished. "Multiple live streams" sounds like something I will maybe catch up on later rather than sitting down to watch live.

I suspect that the real driver in publishers and format owners moving away from doing "shows" at E3 is that the online audience has rapidly increased and it is harder for the companies to manage the message; a lot of viewers are - rightly or wrongly - looking to find fault and diminish the product, and often we end up in a whirlpool of memes and negativity. That kind of reception can cause problems from a publisher viewpoint and they would probably prefer to issue a less-pressured, lower intensity preview of their games.

It's a shame as I always look forward to E3; albeit, personally, I can see how the negative aspects appear to have increased in the past few years.

User avatar
Ad7
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: PlayStation to skip E3 2019 + EA dropping their conference too
by Ad7 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:20 am

The EA conference will be available as premium exhibition DLC.

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.
NickSCFC

PostRe: PlayStation to skip E3 2019
by NickSCFC » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:23 am

jawafour wrote:Yeah, for me the E3 experience is pretty much finished. "Multiple live streams" sounds like something I will maybe catch up on later rather than sitting down to watch live.

I suspect that the real driver in publishers and format owners moving away from doing "shows" at E3 is that the online audience has rapidly increased and it is harder for the companies to manage the message; a lot of viewers are - rightly or wrongly - looking to find fault and diminish the product, and often we end up in a whirlpool of memes and negativity. That kind of reception can cause problems from a publisher viewpoint and they would probably prefer to issue a less-pressured, lower intensity preview of their games.

It's a shame as I always look forward to E3; albeit, personally, I can see how the negative aspects appear to have increased in the past few years.


I've never attended an E3 and I'll probably only visit LA once in my life so the event isn't important.

What remains to be seen is whether these companies will move towards replacing their conferences with directs, and whether they'll still occur in June.

It seems like Nintendo and Sony want more freedom and control over the timing of announcements with the latter now treating each of these as separate events.

User avatar
OrangeRKN
SONM & Cake Sec.
SONM & Cake Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: PlayStation to skip E3 2019 + EA dropping their conference too
by OrangeRKN » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:25 am

I've never attended E3 either, but I always watch most of the conferences live and think the event can be fantastic. Don't have to be there in person to get a sense of atmosphere from it being live, and I love the hype and flurry of discussion that follows.

"Nintendo fanboys are the worst kind" - gamerforever
Image
Image
Web - RedBubble - @OrangeRakoon - GOTY 2018
User avatar
Ad7
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: PlayStation to skip E3 2019 + EA dropping their conference too
by Ad7 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:29 am

I was going yo go to E3 one year with Mad Catz, which would have meant being there on the trade only day, plus getting to go behind the scenes at various things. I'm strawberry floating gutted it didn't happen.

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.
User avatar
Photek
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Dublin

PostRe: PlayStation to skip E3 2019
by Photek » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:34 am

jawafour wrote:Yeah, for me the E3 experience is pretty much finished. "Multiple live streams" sounds like something I will maybe catch up on later rather than sitting down to watch live.

Maybe for you, but I'm obviously looking forward to the Xbox conference and seeing/learning more about Cyberpunk, Halo Infinite and apparently lots of other titles not yet announced. I only ever watch the Xbox conference anyway cos it's on at a normal time so E3 for me hasn't changed.

Image
Grcades resident banana split.
jawafour
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: PlayStation to skip E3 2019
by jawafour » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:37 am

Photek wrote:...I'm obviously looking forward to the Xbox conference...

E3 this year could be a huge opportunity for Xbox; with little competition, it is a chance for Microsoft to really hit hard with a big, positive presentation. I wonder if they have enough cool stuff in development to take it?

User avatar
Photek
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Dublin

PostRe: PlayStation to skip E3 2019
by Photek » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:39 am

jawafour wrote:
Photek wrote:...I'm obviously looking forward to the Xbox conference...

E3 this year could be a huge opportunity for Xbox; with little competition, it is a chance for Microsoft to really hit hard with a big, positive presentation. I wonder if they have enough cool stuff in development to take it?

Rumours are that some big announcements are planned according to the Xbox ITK's, among these is the possibility of purchasing another 3 devs and Ninja Theory's new game will be shown.

Last edited by Photek on Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image
Grcades resident banana split.
User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: PlayStation to skip E3 2019 + EA dropping their conference too
by Tafdolphin » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:43 am

Xbox was far and away the best conference last year and probably will be this year by default. Given the year they've had, I wouldn't be surprised if Bethesda announce they aren't doing one either.

Night Call: a game what I worked on. Out now!
t: @Tafdolphin | Twitch: Tafdolphin
User avatar
Wedgie
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: PlayStation to skip E3 2019 + EA dropping their conference too
by Wedgie » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:46 am

Never really get into EA’s E3 events as it’s usually all of their annual sport games.

No big miss really.

Image

Denster wrote:My phone messaged me yesterday after i'd encouraged him to download and play the RESi demo.


Super Intelligent Phones Are Here!!!! We are dooooomed!

Return to “Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Benzin, Cuttooth, Edd, gamerforever, Gemini73, kerr9000, MSN [Bot], Rax, teh bork, Trelliz and 46 guests