Pokémon Sword & Shield (Crown Tundra Out Now - Play It Quick Before It Votes For Independence)

Anything to do with games at all.

What starter will you pick?

Grookey
22
33%
Scorbunny
23
34%
Sobble
22
33%
 
Total votes: 67
User avatar
Captain Kinopio
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Herbi
Location: The Observatory

PostRe: Pokémon Sword & Shield (Crown Tundra Out Now - Play It Quick Before It Votes For Independence)
by Captain Kinopio » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:44 pm

Bought it. Playing through now. I think the thing I don't like is just the practicalities of post game Pokemon. I'm over leveled and just wipe through everything so you kind of have to self sabotage to make it even remotely interesting. The prospect of training new Pokemon up from scratch is kind of appealing buy when you know you could just go grab a level 60 one from the wild area it kind of ends up adding to the pointless feel of it all.

User avatar
Robbo-92
Member
Joined in 2018
AKA: Robbo-92
Location: South Yorkshire

PostRe: Pokémon Sword & Shield (Crown Tundra Out Now - Play It Quick Before It Votes For Independence)
by Robbo-92 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:22 pm

Yeah that was my main gripe about the DLC too, they should she just given you another starter Pokémon when you got there and just had to catch/train a new team.

Image
Image
Image
User avatar
shy guy 64
Member
Joined in 2018

PostRe: Pokémon Sword & Shield (Crown Tundra Out Now - Play It Quick Before It Votes For Independence)
by shy guy 64 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:41 pm

DarkRula wrote:They're watching you. Always watching.


actually theyre paying me to do it

Image
User avatar
Skarjo
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Pokémon Sword & Shield (Crown Tundra Out Now - Play It Quick Before It Votes For Independence)
by Skarjo » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:51 am

Tried doing a Nuzlocke run of Soul Silver yesterday.

Died at the first gym :datass:

Karl wrote:Can't believe I got baited into expressing a political stance on hentai

Skarjo's Scary Stories...
User avatar
Robbo-92
Member
Joined in 2018
AKA: Robbo-92
Location: South Yorkshire

PostRe: Pokémon Sword & Shield (Crown Tundra Out Now - Play It Quick Before It Votes For Independence)
by Robbo-92 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:29 am

I keep on meaning to try a nuzlocke run as I’ve never even attempted one before but then never get around to it, could be something to try with my copy of Sword though.

Image
Image
Image
User avatar
Skarjo
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Pokémon Sword & Shield (Crown Tundra Out Now - Play It Quick Before It Votes For Independence)
by Skarjo » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:36 am

Yea it was fun to try once I found out that there was a no-dupes clause otherwise I would have had a team full of HootHoots. I actually had quite a good team when I got destroyed, I was just criminally underlevelled and underestimated just how differently you need to approach encounters.

Karl wrote:Can't believe I got baited into expressing a political stance on hentai

Skarjo's Scary Stories...
User avatar
Robbo-92
Member
Joined in 2018
AKA: Robbo-92
Location: South Yorkshire

PostRe: Pokémon Sword & Shield (Crown Tundra Out Now - Play It Quick Before It Votes For Independence)
by Robbo-92 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:46 am

You can kind of cheat it a little with the most recent ones as you can attempt to wait until a Pokémon appears that you want to catch rather than in old gens when it was just luck.

Image
Image
Image
User avatar
f
Go for it, Danmon!
Joined in 2008
Location: Peach Mountain

PostRe: Pokémon Sword & Shield (Crown Tundra Out Now - Play It Quick Before It Votes For Independence)
by f » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:41 am

Skarjo wrote:Yea it was fun to try once I found out that there was a no-dupes clause otherwise I would have had a team full of HootHoots. I actually had quite a good team when I got destroyed, I was just criminally underlevelled and underestimated just how differently you need to approach encounters.

Wait, I thought the idea behind it was that you could only use a Nuzleaf?

Generating Real Conversations About Digital Entertainment
User avatar
OrangeRKN
SONM & Cake Sec.
SONM & Cake Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: Pokémon Sword & Shield (Crown Tundra Out Now - Play It Quick Before It Votes For Independence)
by OrangeRKN » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:32 am

Captain Kinopio wrote:I think the thing I don't like is just the practicalities of post game Pokemon. I'm over leveled and just wipe through everything so you kind of have to self sabotage to make it even remotely interesting. The prospect of training new Pokemon up from scratch is kind of appealing buy when you know you could just go grab a level 60 one from the wild area it kind of ends up adding to the pointless feel of it all.


Robbo-92 wrote:Yeah that was my main gripe about the DLC too, they should she just given you another starter Pokémon when you got there and just had to catch/train a new team.


I agree with these points, it's why I ended up not buying the DLC despite it looking fun. If you'd had to train a new team to give it some sense of balance and progression (not that the game is in any way challenging) I would have played it.

The wild area scaling everything to level 60 has to be the worst post game design decision I've seen in a pokemon game.

Image
Image
orkn.uk - SW-6533-2461-3235 - @OrangeRakoon - ACNH Howdyfern
User avatar
Captain Kinopio
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Herbi
Location: The Observatory

PostRe: Pokémon Sword & Shield (Crown Tundra Out Now - Play It Quick Before It Votes For Independence)
by Captain Kinopio » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:24 pm

OrangeRKN wrote:The wild area scaling everything to level 60 has to be the worst post game design decision I've seen in a pokemon game.


Yea it's terrible. Don't know why they couldn't just scale to your level.

User avatar
Robbo-92
Member
Joined in 2018
AKA: Robbo-92
Location: South Yorkshire

PostRe: Pokémon Sword & Shield (Crown Tundra Out Now - Play It Quick Before It Votes For Independence)
by Robbo-92 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:18 am

I’m nearing the end of the DLC again, obviously only did the Isle of Armor again to get a Kubfu for my Home but I’ve really enjoyed the Crown Tundra again. Once I’ve got the other Regi traded across to my main save I can get a Regigigas which is one I’ve not caught before. After that it’ll be finally time to start spending some time in the dynamax adventures to start getting some of the legendary Pokémon from it! Hopefully it’s still got a good player base as I’ll be reliant on getting lucky and playing with people with Pokémon Sword to try and get the opposite legendary Pokémon to myself.

Image
Image
Image
User avatar
shy guy 64
Member
Joined in 2018

PostRe: Pokémon Sword & Shield (Crown Tundra Out Now - Play It Quick Before It Votes For Independence)
by shy guy 64 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:25 am

Alright I’ve got a spare zarude code who wants it? Remember if you’ve taken part in this event it won’t work

Image
User avatar
Robbo-92
Member
Joined in 2018
AKA: Robbo-92
Location: South Yorkshire

PostRe: Pokémon Sword & Shield (Crown Tundra Out Now - Play It Quick Before It Votes For Independence)
by Robbo-92 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:37 am

I’ll be claiming my Zarude once I’ve got the extra legendary Pokémon transferred across to my main save of Shield too, I’ll be doing that shortly.

I actually had no idea you had to separate Calyrex from their respective horse Pokémon, thought they were combined for good :fp: Now I’ve got them registered in Home at least :lol:

Edit, I’ve now caught Regigigas (Aegislash made it a trivial battle to be fair), redeemed Zarude and transferred them all across to Home, now at 692 Pokémon registered before I start hunting for the legendary Pokémon via the Dynamax adventures in Shield. Don’t think 692 is that bad really considering I’ve only been even remotely bothered about the Pokédex since the release of the Let’s Go games. If they release plenty of the mythical Pokémon (with it being its 25th anniversary) over the coming year that’ll help a bit too.

Image
Image
Image
User avatar
Captain Kinopio
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Herbi
Location: The Observatory

PostRe: Pokémon Sword & Shield (Crown Tundra Out Now - Play It Quick Before It Votes For Independence)
by Captain Kinopio » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:52 pm

Isle of Armor was ok, the abundance of ‘new’ Pokemon is fun but they do little to disguise the fact that it’s just a fetch quest and as there are no new trainer routes you’re just running about aimlessly in a free area for 90% of it. It’s startling how brain dead a lot of the ‘game’ is. I started raising a new team but it becomes a bit of a grind when you get to the 40-50 stage and the few fights you do have clearly don’t want you to be at this level even if it does make them a bit more engaging, the final one in particular.

Crown Tundra seems a bit more gamey which is nice and a change in landscape is decent. The Dynamax cave thing is kinda interesting and somewhat startling in how readily and easily it throws legendary Pokemon at you. Is nothing sacred in this series or at this point is it literally just pay the fee to get on the ride and strawberry float any song and dance to it. It’s a strange state of affairs but obviously it’s not doing them any harm. Again the lack of trainers is annoying but wild battling is sort of scratching the itch which made me buy this in the first place.

User avatar
Robbo-92
Member
Joined in 2018
AKA: Robbo-92
Location: South Yorkshire

PostRe: Pokémon Sword & Shield (Crown Tundra Out Now - Play It Quick Before It Votes For Independence)
by Robbo-92 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:36 pm

The AI is woeful for the Dynamax adventures, the amount of times I’ve missed out on a legendary just because the AI prefer to boost stats (that just generally get reset by the den Pokémon) than actually attacking said Pokémon.

Edit, I’ve really enjoyed The Crown Tundra up until now but even after an hour and a half of dynamax adventures and they’re just infuriating, will have to try going online to see if I can fare better that way as I think the AI will drive me insane :lol:

Edit 2, thankfully it’s a lot better playing with actual people, not that you should need to in my opinion as the AI should be at least good enough to not need to go online just to catch a legendary Pokémon.

Edit 3, another plus point is that you can find the other versions stupidly exclusive legendary Pokémon via the adventures too, caught a Thundurus this morning and looking it up thats a Sword exclusive, it’ll probably take a good chunk more of time doing it this way mind but the alternative is spending £20 on the Sword DLC and then you’d be limited to AI if you just wanted to run into Sword exclusive ones :lol:

Image
Image
Image
User avatar
Robbo-92
Member
Joined in 2018
AKA: Robbo-92
Location: South Yorkshire

PostRe: Pokémon Sword & Shield (Crown Tundra Out Now - Play It Quick Before It Votes For Independence)
by Robbo-92 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:20 am

What does the Dynamax Adventure end up like? I know you can only catch each legendary once (I commend people who have the patience to grind for a shiny legendary Pokémon, I am not one of them :lol:) so once you’ve caught one of them does that one become unavailable for you to find in the standard Dynamax adventure? (but can still encounter them in the continuous version). I’ve currently caught 9 of the available legendaries available (even got lucky with a couple of Sword exclusive ones now) and now on with my 10th, so does that mean I won’t encounter any of the 9 I’ve already caught again? I’d quite like it if it worked like this as it should just give you a new one each time until you catch them.

Image
Image
Image
User avatar
shy guy 64
Member
Joined in 2018

PostRe: Pokémon Sword & Shield (Crown Tundra Out Now - Play It Quick Before It Votes For Independence)
by shy guy 64 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:32 pm

Robbo-92 wrote:What does the Dynamax Adventure end up like? I know you can only catch each legendary once (I commend people who have the patience to grind for a shiny legendary Pokémon, I am not one of them :lol:) so once you’ve caught one of them does that one become unavailable for you to find in the standard Dynamax adventure? (but can still encounter them in the continuous version). I’ve currently caught 9 of the available legendaries available (even got lucky with a couple of Sword exclusive ones now) and now on with my 10th, so does that mean I won’t encounter any of the 9 I’ve already caught again? I’d quite like it if it worked like this as it should just give you a new one each time until you catch them.


you can encounter them again you just cant catch them

shy guy 64 wrote:Alright I’ve got a spare zarude code who wants it? Remember if you’ve taken part in this event it won’t work


any takers at all? id hate for this to go to waste

Image
User avatar
Robbo-92
Member
Joined in 2018
AKA: Robbo-92
Location: South Yorkshire

PostRe: Pokémon Sword & Shield (Crown Tundra Out Now - Play It Quick Before It Votes For Independence)
by Robbo-92 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:53 pm

shy guy 64 wrote:
Robbo-92 wrote:What does the Dynamax Adventure end up like? I know you can only catch each legendary once (I commend people who have the patience to grind for a shiny legendary Pokémon, I am not one of them :lol:) so once you’ve caught one of them does that one become unavailable for you to find in the standard Dynamax adventure? (but can still encounter them in the continuous version). I’ve currently caught 9 of the available legendaries available (even got lucky with a couple of Sword exclusive ones now) and now on with my 10th, so does that mean I won’t encounter any of the 9 I’ve already caught again? I’d quite like it if it worked like this as it should just give you a new one each time until you catch them.


you can encounter them again you just cant catch them

shy guy 64 wrote:Alright I’ve got a spare zarude code who wants it? Remember if you’ve taken part in this event it won’t work


any takers at all? id hate for this to go to waste


Literally just had my first duplicate as I read this, was hoping you wouldn't get duplicates till you’d caught them all, wishful thinking :lol:

Image
Image
Image
User avatar
shy guy 64
Member
Joined in 2018

PostRe: Pokémon Sword & Shield (Crown Tundra Out Now - Play It Quick Before It Votes For Independence)
by shy guy 64 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:34 pm

Robbo-92 wrote:Literally just had my first duplicate as I read this, was hoping you wouldn't get duplicates till you’d caught them all, wishful thinking :lol:


yeah it does become quite annoying towards the end

Image
User avatar
Robbo-92
Member
Joined in 2018
AKA: Robbo-92
Location: South Yorkshire

PostRe: Pokémon Sword & Shield (Crown Tundra Out Now - Play It Quick Before It Votes For Independence)
by Robbo-92 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:56 pm

shy guy 64 wrote:
Robbo-92 wrote:Literally just had my first duplicate as I read this, was hoping you wouldn't get duplicates till you’d caught them all, wishful thinking :lol:


yeah it does become quite annoying towards the end


I imagine it does a little, I wonder if it does the same if you do them with the AI? If you only get new ones with AI I might have to revert to that once I’ve got all the sword ones (even if just to discover the Pokémon before venturing back online).

Image
Image
Image

Return to “Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: D_C, HaruKazuhira, Neo Cortex and 87 guests