Pokémon Sword & Shield (Expansions Announced! Jim Sterling Livid!)

Anything to do with games at all.

What starter will you pick?

Grookey
20
32%
Scorbunny
21
33%
Sobble
22
35%
 
Total votes: 63
User avatar
Pedz
Twitch Team
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Pokémon Sword & Shield (15th November) (Fanbase used Outrage!)
by Pedz » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:02 pm

Remember guys if there's an even and you have a ton of watts just buy wishing stars stand at one well and throw them in.

Image
User avatar
KjGarly
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: TheArbiter
Location: Liverpool

PostRe: Pokémon Sword & Shield (15th November) (Fanbase used Outrage!)
by KjGarly » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:30 pm

Rob-ho ho-92 wrote:When does the event run till? Guess it’s done and dusted by now :( battled 5 altogether but no shiny ones :(


I have a spare I can send your way :shifty:

Image
Image Image
User avatar
Jezo
Member
Joined in 2015
AKA: Jezo
Contact:

PostRe: Pokémon Sword & Shield (15th November) (Fanbase used Outrage!)
by Jezo » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:58 pm

Red Gyaradan wrote:
Jezo ho ho wrote:
Red Gyaradan wrote:Gyarados' dual weakness to Electric makes it entirely unviable in my eyes

You need better eyes

Why?

Because it's not entirely unviable...

User avatar
Red Gyaradan
Go for it, Danmon!
Joined in 2008
Location: Peach Mountain

PostRe: Pokémon Sword & Shield (15th November) (Fanbase used Outrage!)
by Red Gyaradan » Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:29 am

Jezo ho ho wrote:
Red Gyaradan wrote:
Jezo ho ho wrote:
Red Gyaradan wrote:Gyarados' dual weakness to Electric makes it entirely unviable in my eyes

You need better eyes

Why?

Because it's not entirely unviable...

Sure, I fathomed that was going to be your point of view; but I was expecting you to outline the reasons why you believe that to be so?
To me, Pokemon with double weaknesses to common types aren't worth including on battle teams.
What do you think makes Gyarados worth using?

Generating Real Conversations About Digital Entertainment
User avatar
Fade
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: San Junipero

PostRe: Pokémon Sword & Shield (15th November) (Fanbase used Outrage!)
by Fade » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:07 am

Red Gyaradan wrote:
Jezo ho ho wrote:
Red Gyaradan wrote:
Jezo ho ho wrote:
Red Gyaradan wrote:Gyarados' dual weakness to Electric makes it entirely unviable in my eyes

You need better eyes

Why?

Because it's not entirely unviable...

Sure, I fathomed that was going to be your point of view; but I was expecting you to outline the reasons why you believe that to be so?
To me, Pokemon with double weaknesses to common types aren't worth including on battle teams.
What do you think makes Gyarados worth using?

Pokémon who have double weaknesses often have a lot of other advantages that balance them out. For example:

Pelliper: has an ability to start rain on switch in

Tyranitar: starts sandstorm on switch in which gives it x1.5 special defence as well as having absolutely amazing stats with its only real weakness being speed.

Gyrados: has really good stats as well as the ability intimate which lowers enemies attack on switch in, essentially giving it even more bulk.

Scrafty: incredibly bulky with high damage and also has an ability that has a 30% chance to heal any status condition at the end of every turn

Toxtricity: has really good special attack as well as an ability that boosts sound based attacks even further. If you use it with choice specs you can often double OHKO weaker Pokémon in double battles

Gastrodon: has amazing bulk and good special attack as well as the storm drain ability which basically stops your opponent using any water attacks. It's only weakness is grass which you can reduce the damage from by giving it a rindo berry.

And any dragon type that is 4x weak to ice usually has incredibly good stats.

I have at least one 4x weak Pokémon on both my team's.

Image
User avatar
Red Gyaradan
Go for it, Danmon!
Joined in 2008
Location: Peach Mountain

PostRe: Pokémon Sword & Shield (15th November) (Fanbase used Outrage!)
by Red Gyaradan » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:41 am

Cool, thanks. I guess I am naturally cautious so wary of double weaknesses but those are all useful things to know - cheers!

Generating Real Conversations About Digital Entertainment
User avatar
Jezo
Member
Joined in 2015
AKA: Jezo
Contact:

PostRe: Pokémon Sword & Shield (15th November) (Fanbase used Outrage!)
by Jezo » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:42 pm

Fight me in Showdown.

User avatar
shy guy 64
Member
Joined in 2018

PostRe: Pokémon Sword & Shield (15th November) (Fanbase used Outrage!)
by shy guy 64 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:53 pm

Fade wrote:Pokémon who have double weaknesses often have a lot of other advantages that balance them out. For example:

Pelliper: has an ability to start rain on switch in



which does increase the accuracy of electric type moves, so you know double edged sword

Image
User avatar
Fade
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: San Junipero

PostRe: Pokémon Sword & Shield (15th November) (Fanbase used Outrage!)
by Fade » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:31 pm

shy guy 64 wrote:
Fade wrote:Pokémon who have double weaknesses often have a lot of other advantages that balance them out. For example:

Pelliper: has an ability to start rain on switch in



which does increase the accuracy of electric type moves, so you know double edged sword

It increases the accuracy of thunder. But it also increases the accuracy of hurricane which is a 110 power move which Pelliper can learn which also has a chance of confusing the enemy.

I run Pelliper with Gastrodon and Heliodisk on my team, Gastrodon is immune to electricity and Heliodisk resists it because it's an electric type.

Rain also heals Heliodisk because it has the ability dry skin as well as making thunder more accurate.

Also, surf hits every Pokémon so if I use surf next to Gastrodon or Helio disk they take no damage, Gastrodon gets a special attack buff and Heliodisk gets healed.

Not to mention the rain buffs the damage of surf.

If anyone thinks 4x weak Pokémon are bad they should try going up against my Peliper/Gastrodon team.

Image
User avatar
Balladeer
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: Lord's

PostRe: Pokémon Sword & Shield (15th November) (Fanbase used Outrage!)
by Balladeer » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:30 pm

Gyarados was apparently hilariously broken in competitive singles back when Dynamax was allowed.

User avatar
shy guy 64
Member
Joined in 2018

PostRe: Pokémon Sword & Shield (15th November) (Fanbase used Outrage!)
by shy guy 64 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:52 pm

Fade wrote:
shy guy 64 wrote:
Fade wrote:Pokémon who have double weaknesses often have a lot of other advantages that balance them out. For example:

Pelliper: has an ability to start rain on switch in



which does increase the accuracy of electric type moves, so you know double edged sword

It increases the accuracy of thunder. But it also increases the accuracy of hurricane which is a 110 power move which Pelliper can learn which also has a chance of confusing the enemy.

I run Pelliper with Gastrodon and Heliodisk on my team, Gastrodon is immune to electricity and Heliodisk resists it because it's an electric type.

Rain also heals Heliodisk because it has the ability dry skin as well as making thunder more accurate.

Also, surf hits every Pokémon so if I use surf next to Gastrodon or Helio disk they take no damage, Gastrodon gets a special attack buff and Heliodisk gets healed.

Not to mention the rain buffs the damage of surf.

If anyone thinks 4x weak Pokémon are bad they should try going up against my Peliper/Gastrodon team.


huh i thought it was all electric type moves

i dont mind 4x weaknesses, i got appletun and centiscortch on my current team

Image
User avatar
Jezo
Member
Joined in 2015
AKA: Jezo
Contact:

PostRe: Pokémon Sword & Shield (15th November) (Fanbase used Outrage!)
by Jezo » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:57 pm

Snowballadeer wrote:Gyarados was apparently hilariously broken in competitive singles back when Dynamax was allowed.

There are counter plays, but yes, Smogon has banned Dynamax. Short-sighted and hasty move imo.

User avatar
Red Gyaradan
Go for it, Danmon!
Joined in 2008
Location: Peach Mountain

PostRe: Pokémon Sword & Shield (15th November) (Fanbase used Outrage!)
by Red Gyaradan » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:38 pm

Snowballadeer wrote:Gyarados was apparently hilariously broken in competitive singles back when Dynamax was allowed.

Back when? The game just came out!

Generating Real Conversations About Digital Entertainment
User avatar
Fade
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: San Junipero

PostRe: Pokémon Sword & Shield (15th November) (Fanbase used Outrage!)
by Fade » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:57 pm

shy guy 64 wrote:
Fade wrote:
shy guy 64 wrote:
Fade wrote:Pokémon who have double weaknesses often have a lot of other advantages that balance them out. For example:

Pelliper: has an ability to start rain on switch in



which does increase the accuracy of electric type moves, so you know double edged sword

It increases the accuracy of thunder. But it also increases the accuracy of hurricane which is a 110 power move which Pelliper can learn which also has a chance of confusing the enemy.

I run Pelliper with Gastrodon and Heliodisk on my team, Gastrodon is immune to electricity and Heliodisk resists it because it's an electric type.

Rain also heals Heliodisk because it has the ability dry skin as well as making thunder more accurate.

Also, surf hits every Pokémon so if I use surf next to Gastrodon or Helio disk they take no damage, Gastrodon gets a special attack buff and Heliodisk gets healed.

Not to mention the rain buffs the damage of surf.

If anyone thinks 4x weak Pokémon are bad they should try going up against my Peliper/Gastrodon team.


huh i thought it was all electric type moves

i dont mind 4x weaknesses, i got appletun and centiscortch on my current team

Nah, for example here's the description of zap cannon which has 50% accuracy: Has a 100% chance to paralyze the target

And then for Thunder: Has a 30% chance to paralyze the target. This move can hit a target using Bounce, Fly, or Sky Drop, or is under the effect of Sky Drop. If the weather is Primordial Sea or Rain Dance, this move does not check accuracy. If the weather is Desolate Land or Sunny Day, this move's accuracy is 50%. If this move is used against a Pokemon holding Utility Umbrella, this move's accuracy remains at 70%.

Centiscorch is one of the 4x weak Pokémon I don't think it powerful enough to justify its weaknesses. You can easily one shot it with water or flying attacks.

At least Appletun gets thick fat which basically stops ice being x4. And apple acid is a really good move.

Image
User avatar
shy guy 64
Member
Joined in 2018

PostRe: Pokémon Sword & Shield (15th November) (Fanbase used Outrage!)
by shy guy 64 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:31 pm

Fade wrote:
shy guy 64 wrote:
Fade wrote:
shy guy 64 wrote:
Fade wrote:Pokémon who have double weaknesses often have a lot of other advantages that balance them out. For example:

Pelliper: has an ability to start rain on switch in



which does increase the accuracy of electric type moves, so you know double edged sword

It increases the accuracy of thunder. But it also increases the accuracy of hurricane which is a 110 power move which Pelliper can learn which also has a chance of confusing the enemy.

I run Pelliper with Gastrodon and Heliodisk on my team, Gastrodon is immune to electricity and Heliodisk resists it because it's an electric type.

Rain also heals Heliodisk because it has the ability dry skin as well as making thunder more accurate.

Also, surf hits every Pokémon so if I use surf next to Gastrodon or Helio disk they take no damage, Gastrodon gets a special attack buff and Heliodisk gets healed.

Not to mention the rain buffs the damage of surf.

If anyone thinks 4x weak Pokémon are bad they should try going up against my Peliper/Gastrodon team.


huh i thought it was all electric type moves

i dont mind 4x weaknesses, i got appletun and centiscortch on my current team

Nah, for example here's the description of zap cannon which has 50% accuracy: Has a 100% chance to paralyze the target

And then for Thunder: Has a 30% chance to paralyze the target. This move can hit a target using Bounce, Fly, or Sky Drop, or is under the effect of Sky Drop. If the weather is Primordial Sea or Rain Dance, this move does not check accuracy. If the weather is Desolate Land or Sunny Day, this move's accuracy is 50%. If this move is used against a Pokemon holding Utility Umbrella, this move's accuracy remains at 70%.

Centiscorch is one of the 4x weak Pokémon I don't think it powerful enough to justify its weaknesses. You can easily one shot it with water or flying attacks.

At least Appletun gets thick fat which basically stops ice being x4. And apple acid is a really good move.


centiscortch has served me well enough and my appletun has ripen not thick fat, which to be fair is its hidden ability

Image
User avatar
Jezo
Member
Joined in 2015
AKA: Jezo
Contact:

PostRe: Pokémon Sword & Shield (15th November) (Fanbase used Outrage!)
by Jezo » Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:41 pm

Centiscorch gets rekt by Stealth Rocks. Now someone fight me on Showdown (with none of this no dynamax bs)

Red Gyaradan wrote:
Snowballadeer wrote:Gyarados was apparently hilariously broken in competitive singles back when Dynamax was allowed.

Back when? The game just came out!

Smogon babbies can't handle an aggressive meta.

User avatar
Balladeer
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: Lord's

PostRe: Pokémon Sword & Shield (15th November) (Fanbase used Outrage!)
by Balladeer » Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:49 pm

Heavy-Duty Boots tho.

User avatar
Jezo
Member
Joined in 2015
AKA: Jezo
Contact:

PostRe: Pokémon Sword & Shield (15th November) (Fanbase used Outrage!)
by Jezo » Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:25 pm

Snowballadeer wrote:Heavy-Duty Boots tho.

Neat, didn't know that was a thing. Bit gooseberry fool to waste a hold item on just being able to switch in tho lol

User avatar
Robbo-92
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: South Yorkshire

PostRe: Pokémon Sword & Shield (15th November) (Fanbase used Outrage!)
by Robbo-92 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:49 pm

KjGarly wrote:
Rob-ho ho-92 wrote:When does the event run till? Guess it’s done and dusted by now :( battled 5 altogether but no shiny ones :(


I have a spare I can send your way :shifty:


Very tempted! Doubt I have anything worth trading for a shiny Magikarp though :lol:

Image

Image
User avatar
KjGarly
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: TheArbiter
Location: Liverpool

PostRe: Pokémon Sword & Shield (15th November) (Fanbase used Outrage!)
by KjGarly » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:01 pm

Rob-ho ho-92 wrote:
KjGarly wrote:
Rob-ho ho-92 wrote:When does the event run till? Guess it’s done and dusted by now :( battled 5 altogether but no shiny ones :(


I have a spare I can send your way :shifty:


Very tempted! Doubt I have anything worth trading for a shiny Magikarp though :lol:


Just send me anything 8-)

Also have a spare Pikachu, Evee, Charmander and the starter Pokemon.

Image
Image Image

Return to “Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Albear, Preezy, PuppetBoy, Zilnad and 63 guests