Politics Thread 5

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Lex-Man
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Politics Thread 5
by Lex-Man » Thu May 16, 2019 1:53 pm

Rex Kramer wrote:Looks like the best way to get something renationalised is not to vote Labour but just put Grayling in charge.

The supervision of all offenders on probation in England and Wales is being put back in the public sector after a series of failings with the part-privatisation of the system.

It reverses changes made in 2014 by then Justice Secretary Chris Grayling.

The National Audit Office said problems with the part-privatisation had cost taxpayers nearly £500m.

All offenders will be monitored by the National Probation Service from December 2020.


Is that on top of the 2.5 billion he's already done or part of it?

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Politics Thread 5
by Moggy » Thu May 16, 2019 1:58 pm

Garth wrote:
May has twelve days to go to get past Gordon Brown’s length of tenure as PM. Told she wants to get past that before she fires the gun.

Aiming high :lol:


The Duke of Wellington is far more impressive a target and he was only 1 day longer than Brown.

User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: Politics Thread 5
by KK » Fri May 17, 2019 12:20 am


Image
User avatar
Squinty
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Norn Oirland

PostRe: Politics Thread 5
by Squinty » Fri May 17, 2019 7:23 am

Arron Banks then. And where is his money coming from? How deep does this go?

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Politics Thread 5
by Moggy » Fri May 17, 2019 8:13 am

Squinty wrote:Arron Banks then. And where is his money coming from? How deep does this go?


Nobody knows.

Image

User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: Politics Thread 5
by KK » Fri May 17, 2019 11:25 am

Metro wrote:Council build bus shelter on a road with no buses

Residents have been left baffled after a blundering council built a brand new bus shelter – on a road with no public transport.

The twice-daily bus service running along a street in Rotherham was axed in March.

But that didn’t stop officials spending £6,000 of taxpayers’ money on a shelter with seats and a roof in May.

Image
Local brass waits for bus.

Red-faced council chiefs have since apologised for the gaffe and have had to attach a sign, reading: ‘Please note that this bus stop is no longer in use.’

Tichill Road resident Donna Marie Hallam, said: ‘About two weeks ago I came home and saw eight workmen putting a new bus shelter up.

‘At the time I didn’t know the route had stopped but before that buses only came down the road twice a day so it wouldn’t have been worth spending £6,000 on a stop.

‘When I found out the route had stopped altogether, I couldn’t believe it, I just thought ‘what a complete waste of money’.

‘There are so many important things to spend money on but they go and blow thousands on this.’

Pat Woodhouse added: ‘What a waste of money, with the new time table it’s pointless.

‘It would be better off somewhere a bus stop serves the local community.’

The shelter was erected by workers from the South Yorkshire Passenger Transport Executive (SYPTE), which is supervised by the Sheffield City Region Combined Authority.

A SYPTE spokesman said plans for a new shelter on Tickhill Road were put in place as part of an agreement between the authority and a property developer.

At the time of the deal, officials hadn’t yet arranged for a bus route to be moved from the residential road, the spokesman added.

They said: ‘We are reviewing our installation processes to prevent this, where possible, from happening again.’

The shelter is now set to be removed and installed in a nearby street that does have a bus service.

https://metro.co.uk/2019/05/17/bus-shel ... s-9582629/

The Sim City school of transport planning.

Image
User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Politics Thread 5
by Jenuall » Fri May 17, 2019 12:22 pm

‘We are reviewing our installation processes to prevent this, where possible, from happening again.’

Uh, it's possible, and in fact quite easy, to stop this from happening in 100% of cases! :lol:

ImageImage
User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Politics Thread 5
by Tafdolphin » Fri May 17, 2019 1:07 pm

So my postal voting form hasn't arrived. It should have arrived. When I rang the electoral office, their reply has essentially been lol, you should have applied for vote by proxy soz.

Looks like I won't be able to vote.

Noice.

Gemini73 wrote:You really are just an obnoxious little toad.

Yikes
Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on
User avatar
OrangeRKN
SONM & Cake Sec.
SONM & Cake Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: Politics Thread 5
by OrangeRKN » Fri May 17, 2019 1:12 pm

Tafdolphin wrote:So my postal voting form hasn't arrived. It should have arrived. When I rang the electoral office, their reply has essentially been lol, you should have applied for vote by proxy soz.

Looks like I won't be able to vote.

Noice.


This is ridiculous! I thought you could still switch to a proxy vote up until the election day, specifically to cover situations like this?

User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Politics Thread 5
by Tafdolphin » Fri May 17, 2019 1:27 pm

OrangeRKN wrote:
Tafdolphin wrote:So my postal voting form hasn't arrived. It should have arrived. When I rang the electoral office, their reply has essentially been lol, you should have applied for vote by proxy soz.

Looks like I won't be able to vote.

Noice.


This is ridiculous! I thought you could still switch to a proxy vote up until the election day, specifically to cover situations like this?


Yeah, since I posted I've had a look and I might be able to nominate someone. It's going to be super close though in terms of timescales.

Gemini73 wrote:You really are just an obnoxious little toad.

Yikes
Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on
User avatar
Hexx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Politics Thread 5
by Hexx » Fri May 17, 2019 1:28 pm

Tafdolphin wrote:I might be able to nominate someone.


Hello

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Politics Thread 5
by Moggy » Fri May 17, 2019 1:30 pm

Tafdolphin wrote:
OrangeRKN wrote:
Tafdolphin wrote:So my postal voting form hasn't arrived. It should have arrived. When I rang the electoral office, their reply has essentially been lol, you should have applied for vote by proxy soz.

Looks like I won't be able to vote.

Noice.


This is ridiculous! I thought you could still switch to a proxy vote up until the election day, specifically to cover situations like this?


Yeah, since I posted I've had a look and I might be able to nominate someone. It's going to be super close though in terms of timescales.


Don’t give it to me, I’d vote for David Benioff. ;)

User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: Politics Thread 5
by KK » Sat May 18, 2019 3:26 pm

BBC News wrote:The leader of Australia's opposition Labor Party, Bill Shorten, has accepted defeat in a shock result for the country's federal elections.

The ruling centre-right coalition led by Prime Minister Scott Morrison looks set to return to power in defiance of polling predictions.

However, it is unclear whether it will be able to form a majority government.

Exit polls had suggested a narrow victory for the Labor Party for the first time in six years.

The final result of the election may not be known for some hours, but with almost 70% of votes counted the Liberal coalition has won or is ahead in 74 seats in its quest for a 76-seat majority, with Labor on just 65 seats.

Australia has mandatory voting and a record 16.4 million voters enrolled for the election, which returns a new House of Representatives and just over half of the seats in the Senate.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-48305001

Opinion polls not worth gooseberry fool in Australia either, then.

Image
User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Politics Thread 5
by Tafdolphin » Sat May 18, 2019 3:30 pm

Yep, massive shock.

Small pieces of good news though; Fraser Anning (guy who blamed the NZ massacre victims for their own deaths) and Tony Abbott (disastrous former PM staunchly opposed to gay rights) were both kicked out of parliament.

Gemini73 wrote:You really are just an obnoxious little toad.

Yikes
Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on
User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: Politics Thread 5
by KK » Sat May 18, 2019 3:35 pm

I like the mandatory voting rule in Australia. A whopping 95% turnout of eligible voters (the other 5% get slapped with a still reasonable £11 fine).

Image
User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Politics Thread 5
by Tafdolphin » Sat May 18, 2019 3:43 pm

KK wrote:I like the mandatory voting rule in Australia. A whopping 95% turnout of eligible voters (the other 5% get slapped with a still reasonable £11 fine).


Nah. Forcing people with no insight into local or national politics into picking a random party isn't how things should go.

Gemini73 wrote:You really are just an obnoxious little toad.

Yikes
Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on
User avatar
Return_of_the_STAR
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Northampton

PostRe: Politics Thread 5
by Return_of_the_STAR » Sat May 18, 2019 3:50 pm

Tafdolphin wrote:
KK wrote:I like the mandatory voting rule in Australia. A whopping 95% turnout of eligible voters (the other 5% get slapped with a still reasonable £11 fine).


Nah. Forcing people with no insight into local or national politics into picking a random party isn't how things should go.


I agree with Tafdolphin unless maybe you have an option where you can state that you don’t like any of the options. You should never be forced to choose an option if you don’t like any of them.

Image

GRAPL Heavyweight Champion 2010, Runner Up 2017, tag team Champion 2011, 2015, Wrestlemania PPV Winner 2012 and your current all time highest GRAPL points scorer.
Fixture feeling champion 2013.

I'm a Paul Heyman guy!
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Politics Thread 5
by Moggy » Sat May 18, 2019 3:51 pm

Tafdolphin wrote:
KK wrote:I like the mandatory voting rule in Australia. A whopping 95% turnout of eligible voters (the other 5% get slapped with a still reasonable £11 fine).


Nah. Forcing people with no insight into local or national politics into picking a random party isn't how things should go.


Agreed, people should always have the choice.

And it’s not like Australia has a history of electing sensible people, they strawberry float up just as much as the rest of us.

User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Politics Thread 5
by Tafdolphin » Sat May 18, 2019 3:51 pm

Return_of_the_STAR wrote:
Tafdolphin wrote:
KK wrote:I like the mandatory voting rule in Australia. A whopping 95% turnout of eligible voters (the other 5% get slapped with a still reasonable £11 fine).


Nah. Forcing people with no insight into local or national politics into picking a random party isn't how things should go.


I agree with Tafdolphin unless maybe you have an option where you can state that you don’t like any of the options. You should never be forced to choose an option if you don’t like any of them.


Actually this is a good point. Maybe they do.

Gemini73 wrote:You really are just an obnoxious little toad.

Yikes
Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on
User avatar
Winckle
Technician
Joined in 2008
Location: Liverpool

PostRe: Politics Thread 5
by Winckle » Sat May 18, 2019 3:53 pm

I believe Australia does have a "none of the above option".

Image

Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Albear, Chocolate-Milk, Grumpy David, Minty14, Preezy, Robbo-92, Skarjo, That's not a growth and 37 guests