Politics Thread 6

Fed up talking videogames? Why?

Who will you vote for at the next General Election?

Conservative
10
11%
Labour
27
31%
Liberal Democrat
24
28%
Green
18
21%
SNP
6
7%
Brexit Party
0
No votes
UKIP
0
No votes
Plaid Cymru
0
No votes
DUP
0
No votes
Sinn Fein
2
2%
The Independent Group for Change
0
No votes
 
Total votes: 87
User avatar
satriales
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Politics Thread 6
by satriales » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:41 am

Ecno wrote:We had a target list of people who we thought would a least be somewhat receptive towards us, we weren't knocking on every door.

How would you know which doors are going to be receptive? Where does that data come from?

User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: Politics Thread 6
by KK » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:21 am

Image

What's rather ironic though is that whenever the royals want coverage, they now go to ITV instead of the BBC.

Image
User avatar
Partridge Iciclebubbles
"Special"
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

PostRe: Politics Thread 6
by Partridge Iciclebubbles » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:05 pm



strawberry float me :fp:

Image
User avatar
poshrule_uk
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Politics Thread 6
by poshrule_uk » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:17 pm

Someone I'm chatting too is telling me Corbyn voted against improving cladding standards in buildings but when I Google this I can't find anything. Can anyone point me in the right direction as I feel I'm talking to an idiot

User avatar
Karl_
Nyaaaaaaa~!
Nyaaaaaaa~!
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Politics Thread 6
by Karl_ » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:20 am

You can search his voting records on PublicWhip.org.uk. The most recent relevant piece of legislation I could find was https://www.publicwhip.org.uk/division.php?date=2016-01-12&house=commons&number=162. Labour voted for better regulations in rented accommodation, but the Tories blocked it.

User avatar
poshrule_uk
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Politics Thread 6
by poshrule_uk » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:28 am

Thanks, I found that before, really makes no sense how people can spout stuff that is so false

User avatar
Partridge Iciclebubbles
"Special"
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

PostRe: Politics Thread 6
by Partridge Iciclebubbles » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:48 am

poshrule_uk wrote:Thanks, I found that before, really makes no sense how people can spout stuff that is so false


It’s a really easy way of convincing people, because people very rarely bother to check.

If I posted on Facebook “Did you know that Corbyn once voted for the UK to change the state religion to Islam?”, I guarantee that I would not only get likes, but would also convince a few people that it was true.

Look at how the “Lisbon treaty starts in 2020” bullshit is still being spread, it takes seconds to Google search and find out that it is bollocks, but people just believe what they see.

Image
User avatar
poshrule_uk
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Politics Thread 6
by poshrule_uk » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:52 am

Moggy wrote:
poshrule_uk wrote:Thanks, I found that before, really makes no sense how people can spout stuff that is so false


It’s a really easy way of convincing people, because people very rarely bother to check.

If I posted on Facebook “Did you know that Corbyn once voted for the UK to change the state religion to Islam?”, I guarantee that I would not only get likes, but would also convince a few people that it was true.

Look at how the “Lisbon treaty starts in 2020” bullshit is still being spread, it takes seconds to Google search and find out that it is bollocks, but people just believe what they see.


None of this surprises me but what does is I'm talking to a head of business and economics at a school!

User avatar
Partridge Iciclebubbles
"Special"
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

PostRe: Politics Thread 6
by Partridge Iciclebubbles » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:59 am

poshrule_uk wrote:
Moggy wrote:
poshrule_uk wrote:Thanks, I found that before, really makes no sense how people can spout stuff that is so false


It’s a really easy way of convincing people, because people very rarely bother to check.

If I posted on Facebook “Did you know that Corbyn once voted for the UK to change the state religion to Islam?”, I guarantee that I would not only get likes, but would also convince a few people that it was true.

Look at how the “Lisbon treaty starts in 2020” bullshit is still being spread, it takes seconds to Google search and find out that it is bollocks, but people just believe what they see.


None of this surprises me but what does is I'm talking to a head of business and economics at a school!


:lol:

It’s not just about intelligence, very intelligent people can fall for things if they look reasonably real.

Take your example, it is perfectly plausible at a quick glance that Corbyn might have once voted against cladding regulations. If somebody dislikes Corbyn/Labour then they are unlikely to do any research to see if it was true, they just immediately jump to “haha! Corbyn is a hypocrite!”.

Image
User avatar
I Shot A Kid
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Mind Crime, SSBM_God

PostRe: Politics Thread 6
by I Shot A Kid » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:17 pm

Confirmation bias is like crack for these hacks.

Image
User avatar
Rudolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Politics Thread 6
by Rudolphin » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:53 am



strawberry floating savage

Night Call: a game what I worked on. Out now!
t: @Tafdolphin | Twitch: Tafdolphin
User avatar
Dual
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Stool Bloke

PostRe: Politics Thread 6
by Dual » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:33 am

strawberry floating LMAO

Y I K E S

User avatar
Festivus Maximus
Skeletor
Joined in 2009
AKA: Preezy

PostRe: Politics Thread 6
by Festivus Maximus » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:04 am

Lorraine Kelly for Prime Minister

User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: Politics Thread 6
by KK » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:47 pm

German supermarket chain Lidl announcing it is investing £10million in the UK to boost wages for its 19,000 employees.

Beginning March 2020, Lidl says it will increase its entry-level pay from £9.00 to £9.30 an hour outside of London and £10.55 to £10.75 within the M25, going up to £11.70, depending on the location and length of service.

Christian Härtnagel, CEO at Lidl GB said: 'During this time of such uncertainty, we feel fortunate to be able to make this investment in our colleagues, and give them peace of mind with regards to their salary,’

Image
User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: Politics Thread 6
by Lagamorph » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:52 pm

KK wrote:
German supermarket chain Lidl announcing it is investing £10million in the UK to boost wages for its 19,000 employees.

Beginning March 2020, Lidl says it will increase its entry-level pay from £9.00 to £9.30 an hour outside of London and £10.55 to £10.75 within the M25, going up to £11.70, depending on the location and length of service.

Christian Härtnagel, CEO at Lidl GB said: 'During this time of such uncertainty, we feel fortunate to be able to make this investment in our colleagues, and give them peace of mind with regards to their salary,’

Bloody foreigners. Coming over here, employing our people and raising their wages.

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Dual
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Stool Bloke

PostRe: Politics Thread 6
by Dual » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:06 pm

Outrageous that a German company can do that in our country. LET'S GET BREXIT DONE

User avatar
Ecno
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: There're no Wolves

PostRe: Politics Thread 6
by Ecno » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:13 am

Lagamorph wrote:
KK wrote:
German supermarket chain Lidl announcing it is investing £10million in the UK to boost wages for its 19,000 employees.

Beginning March 2020, Lidl says it will increase its entry-level pay from £9.00 to £9.30 an hour outside of London and £10.55 to £10.75 within the M25, going up to £11.70, depending on the location and length of service.

Christian Härtnagel, CEO at Lidl GB said: 'During this time of such uncertainty, we feel fortunate to be able to make this investment in our colleagues, and give them peace of mind with regards to their salary,’

Bloody foreigners. Coming over here, employing our people and raising their wages.


Are they cutting anything? Sainsbury's and Tesco's both raised headline hourly but then eliminated paid breaks and staff bonuses.

http://www.phantomgoal.com

Football Betting Analysis and other related topics.
User avatar
That's not a growth
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Politics Thread 6
by That's not a growth » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:47 am

Asda are recently in the middle of a wage change that isn't as good as it seems at first glance, too.
But I'm more willing to believe Lidl isn't trying to secretly strawberry float over their staff than walmart.

User avatar
Merry Christmous Everyone
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Politics Thread 6
by Merry Christmous Everyone » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:45 am

That's not a growth wrote:Asda are recently in the middle of a wage change that isn't as good as it seems at first glance, too.
But I'm more willing to believe Lidl isn't trying to secretly strawberry float over their staff than walmart.



I believe Aldi and Lidl both pay above minimum wage to their employees, and aim to hit the living wage. They're much better employers than the likes of Walmart, as you suggest.

Image
User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: Politics Thread 6
by KK » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:40 am

Different supermarkets are obviously going to have different working environments as well. Iceland for example keeps coming out top on The Times best employers table, but they ultimately pay less. Lower pay but a more relaxed working environment may suit, say, an older person better than the more hectic but higher paying 'you've got to do everything' approach of a Lidl.

As an aside, Inside The Supermarket: Sainsbury's is currently airing on BBC1 every Thursday, for those that fancy having a closer look at the inner workings of such things. Last episode they had Greenpeace protesting at head office because Sainsbury's are apparently the worst offenders on plastic packaging.

Image

Return to “Stuff”