Politics Thread 6

Fed up talking videogames? Why?

Who will you vote for at the next General Election?

Conservative
10
11%
Labour
30
33%
Liberal Democrat
24
26%
Green
18
20%
SNP
6
7%
Brexit Party
0
No votes
UKIP
1
1%
Plaid Cymru
1
1%
DUP
0
No votes
Sinn Fein
2
2%
The Independent Group for Change
0
No votes
 
Total votes: 92
User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: Politics Thread 6
by Lagamorph » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:01 am

Cuttooth wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Cuttooth wrote:No political event has enraged me more in the past few years than Windrush, and the callous and outright cruel way a government and its institutions can treat someone's life just because they are a minority.


It’s getting worse now than it was under Theresa May. And the scandal just doesn’t seem to be there now.

We’ll have babies in cages soon.

The scandal isn't there because they're deporting people with a criminal record instead of people who are simply trying to sign on or get NHS treatment. The main thing the government has understood from the Windrush "lessons learnt" review I guess will be who exactly you can target without too many people giving a gooseberry fool. There is no greater evidence for the fact that we have a multi tiered way we treat people who are British than how we treat adults who have committed a crime and served their sentence. It suggests minorities who came to the UK as children have to always hold themselves to a higher standard than those around them born here.

The Home Office this morning has deported people to Jamaica despite a court order saying they shouldn't. A day of genuine national shame.

I was reading about the deportation this morning and the government are basically claiming a technicality. They haven't deported the people who were covered by the court order, but technically only people who had O2 Sim cards were covered by the court order, so they could proceed with deportation of everyone else according to them.

I'm sure the government were very thorough in checking and that they absolutely haven't made any mistakes and 'accidentally' deported someone who should have been covered by the court order.

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Photek
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Dublin

PostRe: Politics Thread 6
by Photek » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:21 am

We have absolute banana splits in government also:



Up the Ra (up the IRA) and Tiocfaidh ár Lá (Our Day Will Come) - the IRA’s call to arms. :dread:

He’s been vilified by the media here but I think he should be forced to resign.

Image
Modern Warfare Tag: PHOTEK#9326680
User avatar
Photek
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Dublin

PostRe: Politics Thread 6
by Photek » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:25 am

Samuel_1 wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Samuel_1 wrote:
Photek wrote:Sinn fein have smashed it out of the park this election. Astounding performance, although, it looks like we are headed for another election in a few months as neither Fianna Fail or Fianna Gael want to share a government with Sinn Fein despite SF being having the most numbers, if they form a government between FF and FG there would be major protests as SF would have been neglected. Hold onto your butts!

I have no knowledge of Irish politics, would SF be the Labour equivalent? And and what does that make FF and FG?


Not really.

Irish parties:

https://www.politicalcompass.org/ireland2020

UK parties:

https://www.politicalcompass.org/uk2019

Thanks, surprised the right wing has had such a strangle hold on Irish politics recently.


I’d argue our right wing is the UK’s centre left.

Image
Modern Warfare Tag: PHOTEK#9326680
User avatar
Rax
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Raxicori

PostRe: Politics Thread 6
by Rax » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:44 am

Also a good point, a right wing party in Ireland is nowhere near as far to the right as most countries, theyre usually described as centre right parties in the grand scheme of things.

That "up the Ra" gooseberry fool and the singing of "Come out ye black and tans" when Shinners get elected is shameful stuff, combind with the Paddy Holohan nonsense it makes me wonder if they are fit for government. I used to be completely anti Sinn Fein as they seemed to just make gooseberry fool up, but recently Ive found myself broadly agtreeing with the policies. Their party membership leaves a bad taste in my mouth though, if theyre the people who represent the party then I dont know if theyre worth supporting.

User avatar
OrangeRKN
SONM & Cake Sec.
SONM & Cake Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: Politics Thread 6
by OrangeRKN » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:54 am

Photek wrote:
Samuel_1 wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Samuel_1 wrote:
Photek wrote:Sinn fein have smashed it out of the park this election. Astounding performance, although, it looks like we are headed for another election in a few months as neither Fianna Fail or Fianna Gael want to share a government with Sinn Fein despite SF being having the most numbers, if they form a government between FF and FG there would be major protests as SF would have been neglected. Hold onto your butts!

I have no knowledge of Irish politics, would SF be the Labour equivalent? And and what does that make FF and FG?


Not really.

Irish parties:

https://www.politicalcompass.org/ireland2020

UK parties:

https://www.politicalcompass.org/uk2019

Thanks, surprised the right wing has had such a strangle hold on Irish politics recently.


I’d argue our right wing is the UK’s centre left.


So still right wing?

User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Jenuall
Location: 40 light-years outside of the Exeter nebula

PostRe: Politics Thread 6
by Jenuall » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:24 am

I can't keep up with your politics tbh

Image
User avatar
Photek
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Dublin

PostRe: Politics Thread 6
by Photek » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:28 am

Sinn Fein would be left wing...

Image
Modern Warfare Tag: PHOTEK#9326680
User avatar
Squinty
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Norn Oirland

PostRe: Politics Thread 6
by Squinty » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:53 am

Sinn Fein is left. Definitely not right.

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

PostRe: Politics Thread 6
by Moggy » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:01 am

I think OR was joking lads. The UKs centre left is seen as right of centre wing by lots of lefties.

Image
User avatar
Cuttooth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Politics Thread 6
by Cuttooth » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:27 am

London, Rory Stewart would love to stay the night if you'll take him in.



:dread: :dread: :dread:

User avatar
Blue Eyes
Member
Joined in 2011

PostRe: Politics Thread 6
by Blue Eyes » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:36 am

I'm not having that little banana split sitting around my house like a puppet without a master, with this legs splayed so wide you could disappear into his balls.

User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: Politics Thread 6
by Lagamorph » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:16 pm

From the Financial Times,

Broadcast regulator Ofcom will also become Britain’s first internet watchdog, tasked with holding online platforms to account for illegal and harmful content. Nicky Morgan, digital media and culture secretary, will announce Ofcom’s expanded role on Wednesday, according to government officials.

The online harms legislation, which is still being drafted, intends to place a legal “duty of care” on companies such as Facebook and YouTube for ensuring their users are not exposed to illegal material.

Ofcom will have to decide when and how those companies have breached that “duty of care” and then to choose whether punishment should extend to fines or legal prosecution. The new system aims to force tech giants to act on child exploitation, terrorist and self-harm content on the internet, but critics have pointed out that it could have knock on effects.


So now Ofcom are basically the internet police :dread:

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Politics Thread 6
by Tomous » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:40 pm

The SNP's Kirsten Oswald says the new daily allowance available for the House of Lords is more than universal credit payments per month. She asks if this is "levelling up".

Mr Johnson says it is a matter for the House of Lords to deal with.



:fp:

Image
User avatar
Lex-Man
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Politics Thread 6
by Lex-Man » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:47 pm

Lagamorph wrote:From the Financial Times,

Broadcast regulator Ofcom will also become Britain’s first internet watchdog, tasked with holding online platforms to account for illegal and harmful content. Nicky Morgan, digital media and culture secretary, will announce Ofcom’s expanded role on Wednesday, according to government officials.

The online harms legislation, which is still being drafted, intends to place a legal “duty of care” on companies such as Facebook and YouTube for ensuring their users are not exposed to illegal material.

Ofcom will have to decide when and how those companies have breached that “duty of care” and then to choose whether punishment should extend to fines or legal prosecution. The new system aims to force tech giants to act on child exploitation, terrorist and self-harm content on the internet, but critics have pointed out that it could have knock on effects.


So now Ofcom are basically the internet police :dread:


Does this mean we can get sites shut down by flooding them with awful content they can't deal with and then start reporting them?

Amusement under late capitalism is the prolongation of work.
User avatar
Dual
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Stool Bloke

PostRe: Politics Thread 6
by Dual » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:52 pm

OFCOM do not have the resources to go up against Facebook and YouTube.

User avatar
Hexx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Politics Thread 6
by Hexx » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:20 pm

This deportation thing makes me ashamed of our country.

Good strawberry floating damn all the banana splits who knowingly and willingly voted for this shower.

User avatar
Squinty
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Norn Oirland

PostRe: Politics Thread 6
by Squinty » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:35 pm

Hexx wrote:This deportation thing makes me ashamed of our country.

Good strawberry floating damn all the banana splits who knowingly and willingly voted for this shower.


The majority of these people, they've been born in another country but have lived here since being kids? Am I following this right?

Because, if I'm right, that's pretty crazy.

User avatar
Hexx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Politics Thread 6
by Hexx » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:42 pm

Squinty wrote:
Hexx wrote:This deportation thing makes me ashamed of our country.

Good strawberry floating damn all the banana splits who knowingly and willingly voted for this shower.


The majority of these people, they've been born in another country but have lived here since being kids? Am I following this right?

Because, if I'm right, that's pretty crazy.


I don't know about "majority" but enough.
And despite the government spin about dangerous murders and rapists - that doesn't reflect then mix of cases at all.
And some where arrested, sentenced and free from prison for offenses years ago (e.g. drugs...including groomed into county lines) never to reoffend but are now out.

And that's before you get to their treatment in the 'legal' system

It's strawberry floating despicable from a government desperate to make a spectacle out of punishing evil dangerous foreigns to please it's baying audience.

User avatar
Meep
Member
Joined in 2010
Location: Belfast

PostRe: Politics Thread 6
by Meep » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:39 pm

Funny how it's mostly (or pretty much entirely) non-white immigrants being deported on these flights.

User avatar
Lex-Man
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Politics Thread 6
by Lex-Man » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:50 pm

I feel like the government would happily get rid of the white ones too.

Amusement under late capitalism is the prolongation of work.

Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Blue Eyes, floydfreak, Tsunade and 65 guests