Politics Thread 6 - Boris says “porn for everyone!”

Fed up talking videogames? Why?

Who will you vote for at the next General Election?

Conservative
9
11%
Labour
26
31%
Liberal Democrat
24
28%
Green
18
21%
SNP
6
7%
Brexit Party
0
No votes
UKIP
0
No votes
Plaid Cymru
0
No votes
DUP
0
No votes
Sinn Fein
2
2%
The Independent Group for Change
0
No votes
 
Total votes: 85
User avatar
captain red dog
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Bristol, UK

PostRe: Politics Thread 6 - We don’t need no education
by captain red dog » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:21 am

Yeah that's true. I'm amazed frankly how little scrutiny Boris has had. We have a PM in power and we don't even know really basic things like how many kids he has. Not that having kids should matter, but any other PM it would just be known information.

I can't help but feel his lack of scrutiny is down to right leaning newspapers and probably his good contacts in press rooms from his time as a "journalist".

User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: Politics Thread 6 - We don’t need no education
by KK » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:30 pm

A list of laws that have currently been delayed/lost due to Parliament's suspension:

Boris Johnson's suspension of Parliament means 13 high-profile government bills have been lost, including a law protecting victims of domestic abuse and key pieces of post-Brexit legislation.

When Parliament is prorogued all existing bills making their way through the Commons and Lords are dropped, unless the government chooses to carry them over to the next session.

Only three pieces of legislation were carried over, meaning laws setting up post-Brexit arrangements for immigration, fishing, trade and agriculture as well as bills reforming divorce law, introducing tougher sentencing for animal cruelty and protecting public toilets all fell.

The bills can be re-introduced after Parliament returns on 14 October if the government chooses to do so but all progress made is lost and MPs and peers must start their scrutiny from scratch.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49655201

Image
User avatar
Errkal
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: Hastings

PostRe: Politics Thread 6 - We don’t need no education
by Errkal » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:31 am

Mystical Ninja Starring Danmon wrote:
captain red dog wrote:
satriales wrote:Imagine if Corbyn had lied to the Queen, it's be all over The Sun and Daily Mail for days. Boris does it and not a word.

It really helps him that Parliament is prorogued as it prevents further questions from MPs. The whole process around this prorogation really needs proper scrutiny from MPs.

Prorogation has nothing to do with the fact that the papers have essentially buried the story.
The Sun, Daily Mail, Daily Express and Daily Telegraph are actual Conservative party propaganda at this point.


I’m not sure it’s Conservative party propaganda, it’s more Johnson, Leave and far right propaganda its jus happens Johnson is a conservative. If a different leader won that was hard core leave etc. they wouldn’t be backing them.

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Politics Thread 6 - We don’t need no education
by Moggy » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:59 am

Errkal wrote:
Mystical Ninja Starring Danmon wrote:
captain red dog wrote:
satriales wrote:Imagine if Corbyn had lied to the Queen, it's be all over The Sun and Daily Mail for days. Boris does it and not a word.

It really helps him that Parliament is prorogued as it prevents further questions from MPs. The whole process around this prorogation really needs proper scrutiny from MPs.

Prorogation has nothing to do with the fact that the papers have essentially buried the story.
The Sun, Daily Mail, Daily Express and Daily Telegraph are actual Conservative party propaganda at this point.


I’m not sure it’s Conservative party propaganda, it’s more Johnson, Leave and far right propaganda its jus happens Johnson is a conservative. If a different leader won that was hard core leave etc. they wouldn’t be backing them.


Oh they definitely would be backing them. They backed Theresa May as "the new Iron Lady" remember.

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Politics Thread 6 - We don’t need no education
by Moggy » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:34 am



Hartley-Brewer is so desperate to be Katie Hopkins. :lol:

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Politics Thread 6 - We don’t need no education
by Moggy » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:25 pm



:lol:

User avatar
Mini E
Doctor
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Politics Thread 6 - We don’t need no education
by Mini E » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:44 pm


User avatar
massimo
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Politics Thread 6 - We don’t need no education
by massimo » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:57 pm

Moggy wrote:

:lol:

I’m missing some context here. What’s BJ said this time and who has he insulted?

User avatar
Garth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008
Location: Norn Iron

PostRe: Politics Thread 6 - We don’t need no education
by Garth » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:13 am


User avatar
Meep
Member
Joined in 2010
Location: Belfast

PostRe: Politics Thread 6 - We don’t need no education
by Meep » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:17 am

While obviously the destruction of the Amazon is bad, to say it produces 20% of the world's oxygen is misleading because its probably reabsorbing most of it for respiration. The destruction of the forest is bad enough because of its sheer abundance of biodiversity and natural habitat without adding those sort of claims to the mix.

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Politics Thread 6 - We don’t need no education
by Moggy » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:37 pm

massimo wrote:
Moggy wrote:

:lol:

I’m missing some context here. What’s BJ said this time and who has he insulted?


There was a leaked note where Johnson had called Cameron a girly swot.

User avatar
Lex-Man
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Politics Thread 6 - We don’t need no education
by Lex-Man » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:54 pm

Moggy wrote:
massimo wrote:
Moggy wrote:

:lol:

I’m missing some context here. What’s BJ said this time and who has he insulted?


There was a leaked note where Johnson had called Cameron a girly swot.


To be fair that's not in the top 10 worst things somebodies called Cameron.

Amusement under late capitalism is the prolongation of work.
User avatar
Mafro
Moderator
Joined in 2008
AKA: DAT MAF
Contact:

PostRe: Politics Thread 6 - We don’t need no education
by Mafro » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:27 pm


HSH28 wrote:Assmung you ever get one that is.

Blog | Twitter
User avatar
Garth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008
Location: Norn Iron

PostRe: Politics Thread 6 - We don’t need no education
by Garth » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:29 pm


User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: Politics Thread 6 - We don’t need no education
by KK » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:33 pm

This turbulence is having minimal impact on voters according to the latest polling on behalf of The Observer tomorrow:

The Conservatives have pushed further ahead of Labour in the latest Opinium/Observer polling.

The latest poll shows the Tories on 37%, up two since last week, while Labour is unchanged on 25%. The Liberal Democrats whose conference opens this weekend in Bournemouth are on 16% (down one), and the Brexit party is also unchanged on 13%.

The polling – conducted after Johnson shut down parliament for five weeks last Tuesday, and Scottish judges subsequently ruled his action to have been unlawful – shows the Conservatives are continuing to consolidate their support among leave voters.

Among this group, 55% said they would now vote Conservative in a general election, the highest figure since February. Almost a fifth (19%) of Labour leave voters are now intending to vote Conservative, suggesting views on Brexit are determining voters’ choice more than traditional party loyalties.

The poll suggests many voters are unclear about Labour’s Brexit stance while the Liberal Democrats are seen as having an unambiguous policy.

Despite losing six consecutive votes in the Commons in the past fortnight Johnson has a far higher net approval rating for his handling of Brexit than Jeremy Corbyn. While 37% approve of the prime minister’s handling of Brexit against 43% who disapprove, only 17% approve of Corbyn’s handling of the issue, against 60% who disapprove.

Asked for their view about whether Johnson had been right to suspend parliament for five weeks, voters were split. Some 34% said they supported the prime minister’s move, while 35% opposed it.

Adam Drummond, head of political polling at Opinium, said despite the judgement from Scottish judges which suggested Boris Johnson had misled the Queen over prorogation, the effect on his reputation among voters appeared to have been minimal.

“The Tories’ mission to mop up the leave vote at a faster rate than they lose liberal remain-leaning voters is continuing to show dividends with the largest lead over Labour since the 2017 election,” he said.

Among Brexit party voters, he said approval of Boris Johnson was far higher than Jeremy Corbyn at 71% compared with 2%. While among Liberal Democrat voters, approval of the Labour leader was only marginally better than the prime minister at 13% compared with 6%.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ical-chaos

Image
User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Politics Thread 6 - We don’t need no education
by Tafdolphin » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:16 pm

... strawberry floating how is that possible? Who are these banana splits getting polled?

Night Call: a game what I worked on. Out now!
t: @Tafdolphin | Twitch: Tafdolphin
User avatar
Tineash
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Politics Thread 6 - We don’t need no education
by Tineash » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:22 pm

Garth wrote:


Another cuddly homophobe for the Tory Jrs.

"exceptionally annoying" - TheTurnipKing
User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: Politics Thread 6 - We don’t need no education
by Lagamorph » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:01 pm

Tafdolphin wrote:... strawberry floating how is that possible? Who are these banana splits getting polled?

The Tories are still riding the "We're leaving on the 31st October no matter what" and "Boris would rather be dead in a ditch than request another extension" boosts.
Once the 31st passes and we're still in the EU because Boris requested an extension their support will (hopefully) see a dramatic fall.

Unfortunately it'll likely be accompanied by a surge in BXP support, possibly into third or even second place.


Tineash wrote:
Garth wrote:


Another cuddly homophobe for the Tory Jrs.

From what I gather he attempted to filibuster the homosexual pardon bill because it would also have pardoned rapists and paedophiles without any distinction. He supported the alternative bill which was also the one supported by Corbyn.

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Politics Thread 6 - We don’t need no education
by Moggy » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:06 pm

Lagamorph wrote:
Tafdolphin wrote:... strawberry floating how is that possible? Who are these banana splits getting polled?

The Tories are still riding the "We're leaving on the 31st October no matter what" and "Boris would rather be dead in a ditch than request another extension" boosts.
Once the 31st passes and we're still in the EU because Boris requested an extension their support will (hopefully) see a dramatic fall.

Unfortunately it'll likely be accompanied by a surge in BXP support, possibly into third or even second place.


Tineash wrote:
Garth wrote:


Another cuddly homophobe for the Tory Jrs.

From what I gather he attempted to filibuster the homosexual pardon bill because it would also have pardoned rapists and paedophiles without any distinction. He supported the alternative bill which was also the one supported by Corbyn.


Filibustering that pardon bill was ridiculous, it was not likely that molesters would have pardoned. And his idea that living people would have to apply for their pardon was strawberry floating stupid.

But he has voted in favour of gay rights in every single bill since he became an MP. I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt with the filibuster, a strawberry floating idiot rather than a homophobe.

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Politics Thread 6 - We don’t need no education
by Moggy » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:07 pm

Tafdolphin wrote:... strawberry floating how is that possible? Who are these banana splits getting polled?


Because of idiots lapping up shite like this.



Return to “Stuff”