Politics Thread 6

Fed up talking videogames? Why?

Who will you vote for at the next General Election?

Conservative
15
10%
Labour
59
40%
Liberal Democrat
27
18%
Green
21
14%
SNP
16
11%
Brexit Party
2
1%
UKIP
2
1%
Plaid Cymru
3
2%
DUP
1
1%
Sinn Fein
2
1%
The Independent Group for Change
0
No votes
 
Total votes: 148
User avatar
Nibble
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Big Tuna

PostRe: Politics Thread 6
by Nibble » Fri May 13, 2022 12:06 pm

Lex-Man wrote:I can't believe the Tories will win the next GE, especially if the still have Johnson as PM.


It almost doesn't matter what happens between then and now. They only have to get their accomplices in the right wing media to ramp up, a few months before the GE, a campaign to demonize and scapegoat somebody else (immigrants/the EU/Corbyn/trans-people,etc.) for all the gooseberry fool that they themselves are in fact responsible for, and all the Tories for the win drongos will fall in line.

User avatar
Oblomov Boblomov
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Mind Crime, SSBM_God

PostRe: Politics Thread 6
by Oblomov Boblomov » Fri May 13, 2022 12:08 pm

They don't even have to rely on that as much. The Elections Bill will see that hundreds of thousands of potential non-Tory votes don't make it to the ballot box.

Image
User avatar
Victor Mildew
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Politics Thread 6
by Victor Mildew » Fri May 13, 2022 12:09 pm

Parksey wrote:
captain red dog wrote:Having spent the last couple of weeks moaning that civil servants need to return to the office because driving licences apparently take longer to process (didn't have a problem with mine), the next great idea from the right is to massively cut civil service numbers again. :fp:

If you speak to people that actually work in the civil service, the problem has always been caused by outsourcing of departments, high staff turnover through agency staff and lack of career progression and insane amounts of blocks through govt policy.

So the government solution is "more of that please". :?


You also have Rees-Mogg saying that he's suspicious of people treating Monday and Friday as lazy days if they are at home, and the sister of the Prime Minister saying that people working from home are on their pelatons. Rees-Mogg also goes in to offices and leaves passive aggressive notes on peoples' desks, as well trying to force them into the office more. Then the news comes out that 91,000 jobs are being cut. .

People need to remember that this is the party that supports the workplace, not the workforce. If you're not a business leader and working for someone, they are not - and never will be - on your side.

People like Jaco Rees-Mogg weren't the people down the mines, or in factories. They were the Dickensian factory owners, wanting to wring every last coin out of their workforce and ignoring the human cost.

They do not belong to the working class or the workforce. They do not trust the workforce. When we are not at work, we are out of their watchful gaze and up to no good. We exist to work and we should be made to work. We need to be watched when we are at work and our jobs are merciful presents from our betters than we should be thankful for.

The workforce is there to exploit, whatever the cost, for personal, financial or political gain. We are capital.

These people are not on your side.


Well said.

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.
User avatar
Tomous
Member
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Politics Thread 6
by Tomous » Fri May 13, 2022 12:10 pm

That is an excellent post.

Parksey :wub:

Image

EAT THE RICH
User avatar
Dual
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Politics Thread 6
by Dual » Fri May 13, 2022 12:34 pm

Parksey has just put himself on a watchlist.

User avatar
Oblomov Boblomov
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Mind Crime, SSBM_God

PostRe: Politics Thread 6
by Oblomov Boblomov » Fri May 13, 2022 12:35 pm

Parksey is a LAD :wub:

twitter.com/YouGov/status/1525069648563150850


Image
User avatar
Grumpy David
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Cubeamania

PostRe: Politics Thread 6
by Grumpy David » Fri May 13, 2022 1:26 pm

Lex-Man wrote:I can't believe the Tories will win the next GE, especially if the still have Johnson as PM.


The swing required is enormous though, it needs to be Blair 1997 levels to get a wafer thin majority and it has to be done without assuming a Labour recovery in Scotland.

It doesn't seem likely based on current polling, but we're presumably still 2 years away from the next election and the cost of living crisis will get worse before it gets better.

Double digit inflation and average energy bills of £2,700 per year from the autumn onwards. That's a very effective way to destroy confidence in the Tories reputation for being a safe pair of hands on the economy.

User avatar
Tomous
Member
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Politics Thread 6
by Tomous » Fri May 13, 2022 1:31 pm

Honestly, if the Tories when the next GE we might as well accept they're going to be in power for the rest of our lives

Image

EAT THE RICH
User avatar
Qikz
#420BlazeIt ♥
Joined in 2011

PostRe: Politics Thread 6
by Qikz » Fri May 13, 2022 2:15 pm

Grumpy David wrote:
Lex-Man wrote:I can't believe the Tories will win the next GE, especially if the still have Johnson as PM.


The swing required is enormous though, it needs to be Blair 1997 levels to get a wafer thin majority and it has to be done without assuming a Labour recovery in Scotland.

It doesn't seem likely based on current polling, but we're presumably still 2 years away from the next election and the cost of living crisis will get worse before it gets better.

Double digit inflation and average energy bills of £2,700 per year from the autumn onwards. That's a very effective way to destroy confidence in the Tories reputation for being a safe pair of hands on the economy.


They've been in power 12? years now and they'll still somehow blame Labour.

The Watching Artist wrote:I feel so inept next to Qikz...
User avatar
Buffalo
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Politics Thread 6
by Buffalo » Fri May 13, 2022 2:27 pm

Parksey wrote:
captain red dog wrote:Having spent the last couple of weeks moaning that civil servants need to return to the office because driving licences apparently take longer to process (didn't have a problem with mine), the next great idea from the right is to massively cut civil service numbers again. :fp:

If you speak to people that actually work in the civil service, the problem has always been caused by outsourcing of departments, high staff turnover through agency staff and lack of career progression and insane amounts of blocks through govt policy.

So the government solution is "more of that please". :?


You also have Rees-Mogg saying that he's suspicious of people treating Monday and Friday as lazy days if they are at home, and the sister of the Prime Minister saying that people working from home are on their pelatons. Rees-Mogg also goes in to offices and leaves passive aggressive notes on peoples' desks, as well trying to force them into the office more. Then the news comes out that 91,000 jobs are being cut. .

People need to remember that this is the party that supports the workplace, not the workforce. If you're not a business leader and working for someone, they are not - and never will be - on your side.

People like Jacob Rees-Mogg weren't the people down the mines, or in factories. They were the Dickensian factory owners, wanting to wring every last coin out of their workforce and ignoring the human cost.

They do not belong to the working class or the workforce. They do not trust the workforce. When we are not at work, we are out of their watchful gaze and up to no good. We exist to work and we should be made to work. We need to be watched when we are at work and our jobs are merciful presents from our betters that we should be thankful for.

The workforce is there to exploit, whatever the cost, for personal, financial or political gain. We are capital.

These people are not on your side.


This has a strong Tony Benn vibe and I’m loving it. Absolutely bang on.

Image
User avatar
Stugene
Member ♥
Joined in 2011
AKA: Handsome Man Stugene
Location: handsomemantown
Contact:

PostRe: Politics Thread 6
by Stugene » Fri May 13, 2022 2:32 pm

Nibble wrote:
Lex-Man wrote:I can't believe the Tories will win the next GE, especially if the still have Johnson as PM.


It almost doesn't matter what happens between then and now. They only have to get their accomplices in the right wing media to ramp up, a few months before the GE, a campaign to demonize and scapegoat somebody else (immigrants/the EU/Corbyn/trans-people,etc.) for all the gooseberry fool that they themselves are in fact responsible for, and all the Tories for the win drongos will fall in line.

This ^

Image
Taint
User avatar
Stugene
Member ♥
Joined in 2011
AKA: Handsome Man Stugene
Location: handsomemantown
Contact:

PostRe: Politics Thread 6
by Stugene » Fri May 13, 2022 2:32 pm

Suddenly Kier Starmer is a anti-semite and said the p word to an indian person? How would could this happen before a general election!?

Image
Taint
User avatar
Tomous
Member
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Politics Thread 6
by Tomous » Fri May 13, 2022 2:38 pm

Personally, I need to cling to some belief that we're not destined for Tory rule forever

Last edited by Tomous on Fri May 13, 2022 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image

EAT THE RICH
User avatar
Qikz
#420BlazeIt ♥
Joined in 2011

PostRe: Politics Thread 6
by Qikz » Fri May 13, 2022 2:44 pm

Tomous wrote:Personally, I need to cling to some belief that we're destined for Tory rule forever


I assume you mean we're not?

The Watching Artist wrote:I feel so inept next to Qikz...
User avatar
Tomous
Member
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Politics Thread 6
by Tomous » Fri May 13, 2022 2:45 pm

Qikz wrote:
Tomous wrote:Personally, I need to cling to some belief that we're destined for Tory rule forever


I assume you mean we're not?



Yes :slol:

Image

EAT THE RICH
User avatar
Qikz
#420BlazeIt ♥
Joined in 2011

PostRe: Politics Thread 6
by Qikz » Fri May 13, 2022 2:46 pm

Tomous wrote:
Qikz wrote:
Tomous wrote:Personally, I need to cling to some belief that we're destined for Tory rule forever


I assume you mean we're not?



Yes :slol:


Image

The Watching Artist wrote:I feel so inept next to Qikz...
User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: Politics Thread 6
by Lagamorph » Fri May 13, 2022 3:42 pm

Don't worry. The Tories tried to help but Compiter said no

twitter.com/BloombergUK/status/1525034013466959873


Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Buffalo
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Politics Thread 6
by Buffalo » Fri May 13, 2022 3:44 pm

Yet again, they’re taking us for absolute fools.

Image
User avatar
Victor Mildew
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Politics Thread 6
by Victor Mildew » Fri May 13, 2022 4:03 pm

Jesus strawberry floating Christ

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.
User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: Politics Thread 6
by Lagamorph » Fri May 13, 2022 4:06 pm

I'm sure it was Labour who implemented that restriction on the computers and the only way to even try and change it is to spend billions with a contracting company that's coincidentally owned by a massive Tory donor.

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right

Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Albear, Bunni, Cuttooth, Dowbocop, floydfreak, Google [Bot], ITSMILNER, Jam-Master Jay, mcjihge2, Memento Mori, more heat than light, Neo Cortex, Ploiper, shy guy 64, Vermilion and 255 guests