Politics Thread 6 - We don’t need no education

Fed up talking videogames? Why?

Who will you vote for at the next General Election?

Conservative
6
10%
Labour
13
22%
Liberal Democrat
18
31%
Green
16
27%
SNP
4
7%
Brexit Party
0
No votes
UKIP
0
No votes
Plaid Cymru
0
No votes
DUP
0
No votes
Sinn Fein
2
3%
The Independent Group for Change
0
No votes
 
Total votes: 59
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Politics Thread 6 - And then there was one...
by Moggy » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:44 pm

Corazon de Leon wrote:
Tafdolphin wrote:Worth mentioning here that RichardUK has previously expressed Imperial leanings, not just Unionist.


Are there any links to posts of this ilk?


Subject: Politics Thread 5

RichardUK wrote:
Moggy wrote:
RichardUK wrote::dread:

Enters politics thread

Leaves leaves the politics thread

:roll: Lefties


You think starting up colonisation again is a good idea?


Yes.

But not our Victorian Empire, it would be something new, something between the Empire and our current Commonwealth where we would have British influence and interests in the countries both for our long term gain and theirs, most ex empire countries suffer from corruption at the top and this dramatically affects people’s lives, we would impose a fair political system, law and order though judicial systems and most importantly start improving the infrastructure and creating employment, you see these appeals on tv for aid, images of babies starving to death and this has been happening year after year for all my life, nothing seems to improve, they still don’t have water, they still can’t farm animals or grow crops, dirty make shift hospitals, no schools (I know that’s a generalisation and I’m sure some areas have seen improvement, but some obviously have not)

I have the Union Flag on my profile and I wear one with pride but I don’t want us to be blocked off from the world (I voted remain and have a house in Bavaria) I am proud to be British and feel pride in ones country is a positive thing

User avatar
Parksey
Moderator
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Politics Thread 6 - And then there was one...
by Parksey » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:48 pm

He was talking about Ireland there as well, I bet.

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Politics Thread 6 - And then there was one...
by Moggy » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:49 pm

Parksey wrote:He was talking about Ireland there as well, I bet.


It was in response to a poll that found young Tories were in favour of “Africa 2.0”.

User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Politics Thread 6 - And then there was one...
by Tafdolphin » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:00 pm

Moggy wrote:
Corazon de Leon wrote:
Tafdolphin wrote:Worth mentioning here that RichardUK has previously expressed Imperial leanings, not just Unionist.


Are there any links to posts of this ilk?


Subject: Politics Thread 5

RichardUK wrote:
Moggy wrote:
RichardUK wrote::dread:

Enters politics thread

Leaves leaves the politics thread

:roll: Lefties


You think starting up colonisation again is a good idea?


Yes.

But not our Victorian Empire, it would be something new, something between the Empire and our current Commonwealth where we would have British influence and interests in the countries both for our long term gain and theirs, most ex empire countries suffer from corruption at the top and this dramatically affects people’s lives, we would impose a fair political system, law and order though judicial systems and most importantly start improving the infrastructure and creating employment, you see these appeals on tv for aid, images of babies starving to death and this has been happening year after year for all my life, nothing seems to improve, they still don’t have water, they still can’t farm animals or grow crops, dirty make shift hospitals, no schools (I know that’s a generalisation and I’m sure some areas have seen improvement, but some obviously have not)

I have the Union Flag on my profile and I wear one with pride but I don’t want us to be blocked off from the world (I voted remain and have a house in Bavaria) I am proud to be British and feel pride in ones country is a positive thing


Thanks. Going through his posts was making me a bit nauseous.

I say that glibly but also, yeah. Genuinely a bit.

Gemini73 wrote:You really are just an obnoxious little toad.

Night Call: a game what I worked on. Out now!
t: @Tafdolphin | Twitch: Tafdolphin
User avatar
Tineash
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Politics Thread 6 - And then there was one...
by Tineash » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:07 pm

That's absolutely amazing, thank you for reposting that Moggy, and god bless people who are too dim to make their crazy crazy thoughts subtext instead of just....text.

"exceptionally annoying" - TheTurnipKing
User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Politics Thread 6 - And then there was one...
by Tafdolphin » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:15 pm

Good old Rich. Living proof that wealth as a metric of success and intelligence is absolute nonsense.

Gemini73 wrote:You really are just an obnoxious little toad.

Night Call: a game what I worked on. Out now!
t: @Tafdolphin | Twitch: Tafdolphin
User avatar
Corazon de Leon
Doctor ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Deadpool / sntaa

PostRe: Politics Thread 6 - And then there was one...
by Corazon de Leon » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:36 pm

Moggy wrote:
Corazon de Leon wrote:
Tafdolphin wrote:Worth mentioning here that RichardUK has previously expressed Imperial leanings, not just Unionist.


Are there any links to posts of this ilk?


Subject: Politics Thread 5

RichardUK wrote:
Moggy wrote:
RichardUK wrote::dread:

Enters politics thread

Leaves leaves the politics thread

:roll: Lefties


You think starting up colonisation again is a good idea?


Yes.

But not our Victorian Empire, it would be something new, something between the Empire and our current Commonwealth where we would have British influence and interests in the countries both for our long term gain and theirs, most ex empire countries suffer from corruption at the top and this dramatically affects people’s lives, we would impose a fair political system, law and order though judicial systems and most importantly start improving the infrastructure and creating employment, you see these appeals on tv for aid, images of babies starving to death and this has been happening year after year for all my life, nothing seems to improve, they still don’t have water, they still can’t farm animals or grow crops, dirty make shift hospitals, no schools (I know that’s a generalisation and I’m sure some areas have seen improvement, but some obviously have not)

I have the Union Flag on my profile and I wear one with pride but I don’t want us to be blocked off from the world (I voted remain and have a house in Bavaria) I am proud to be British and feel pride in ones country is a positive thing


Oh wow. Cheers for that, it's straight out of the Niall Ferguson book of world views that should've died out with Queen Victoria.

Image Image
User avatar
Denster
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Politics Thread 6 - And then there was one...
by Denster » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:42 am

For the record I was never in favour of Africa 2.0 as a young Tory.

Get the kite, Beavis.
User avatar
Pedz
Twitch Team
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Politics Thread 6 - And then there was one...
by Pedz » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:47 am

Just an old one.

ImageImage
User avatar
Benzin
Member
Joined in 2011

PostRe: Politics Thread 6 - And then there was one...
by Benzin » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:51 am

Isn't a "Young Tory" classed up to 40 anyway?

User avatar
Karl_
Nyaaaaaaa~!
Nyaaaaaaa~!
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Politics Thread 6 - And then there was one...
by Karl_ » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:35 am

It's easy to view imperialism as a good thing if you earnestly believe we are "the good guys". It's not an uncommon view, because our shared cultural mythos of the empire is woefully uncritical; and because our right-leaning politics and media marginalises anti-neo-imperialist arguments. So people who don't know any better view imperialism, both historical and contemporary, as the good guys doing cool hero stuff.

Once people read some history and realise we are actually the baddies the illusion dissolves.

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Politics Thread 6 - And then there was one...
by Moggy » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:42 am

Karl_ wrote:It's easy to view imperialism as a good thing if you earnestly believe we are "the good guys". It's not an uncommon view, because our shared cultural mythos of the empire is woefully uncritical; and because our right-leaning politics and media marginalises anti-neo-imperialist arguments. So people who don't know any better view imperialism, both historical and contemporary, as the good guys doing cool hero stuff.

Once people read some history and realise we are actually the baddies the illusion dissolves.


Yeah but we built railways.

User avatar
Meep
Member
Joined in 2010
Location: Belfast

PostRe: Politics Thread 6 - And then there was one...
by Meep » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:07 am

The problem is that there is a whole generation, particularly those educated through old money institutions, who still remember the British Empire and were raised to think it is a good thing. The problem with this is that, in order for you to think the Empire was good, you must think it is justifiable. In order for the empire to be justifiable it requires that you believe the British are somehow superior to other peoples (the old days they would have just said "races").

User avatar
Denster
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Politics Thread 6 - And then there was one...
by Denster » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:19 pm

I remember being interested in Jack the Ripper as a teen. Part of the interest in that was that those crimes shone a light on the appalling living conditions in London at that time. When the 'Empire' was pretty much at the height of its powers and London was its epicentre. Our only 'fortune' in the view of our empire is that the atrocities committed in its establishment were done in an era where evidence was pretty much eye witness only and any naysayers or witnesses to atrocity were either shot/ bought/ imprisoned etc. Today it is more harshly but more realistically appraised or criticised than it has been in the past. Justly so. People who cling to an airbrushed view of our past deserve derision and to be challenged.
In terms of justifiability - major European powers have been empire building for as long as they've been major European powers. We've built empires for millennia as a race. Whether any of them were good is very much a subject of debate.

That would actually make a bloody interesting thread actually. Debating the merits and maleficence of major empires of the last two millennia or so.

Get the kite, Beavis.
User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Politics Thread 6 - And then there was one...
by Tafdolphin » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:10 pm



strawberry floating hell :slol:

Gemini73 wrote:You really are just an obnoxious little toad.

Night Call: a game what I worked on. Out now!
t: @Tafdolphin | Twitch: Tafdolphin
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Politics Thread 6 - And then there was one...
by Moggy » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:07 pm



Assuming there is no free movement after Brexit, are the government planning to raise nurses wages to £36k pa or do they just want a massive shortage once no nurses at all can move here?

User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Politics Thread 6 - And then there was one...
by Tafdolphin » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:31 pm

If that stands, that's me and my wife well and truly strawberry floated. Assuming being married for 2 years doesn't count.

Gemini73 wrote:You really are just an obnoxious little toad.

Night Call: a game what I worked on. Out now!
t: @Tafdolphin | Twitch: Tafdolphin
User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: Politics Thread 6 - And then there was one...
by KK » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:31 pm

The Centre for Social Justice (a right-wing think-tank partially founded by everyone's favourite matey boy Iain Duncan Smith) is the one suggesting it, Priti Patel or the government don't have to go along with it.

They're also saying that the Home Office could offer exemptions for NHS staff and others to allow those on a new £36,700 threshold to be exempt.

Image
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Politics Thread 6 - And then there was one...
by Moggy » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:50 pm

KK wrote:The Centre for Social Justice (a right-wing think-tank partially founded by everyone's favourite matey boy Iain Duncan Smith) is the one suggesting it, Priti Patel or the government don't have to go along with it.

They're also saying that the Home Office could offer exemptions for NHS staff and others to allow those on a new £36,700 threshold to be exempt.


It’s Priti Patel. She’ll raise it to £50k just to show she’s “tough”.

User avatar
Lotus
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Politics Thread 6 - And then there was one...
by Lotus » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:55 pm

Don't worry, Caroline Lucas' all-female emergency cabinet will save us all. :toot:

Image

Return to “Stuff”