Products That Don't Advertise Anymore/Is Advertising A Big Brand Necessary?

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

PostRe: Products That Don't Advertise Anymore/Is Advertising A Big Brand Necessary?
by Moggy » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:15 am

Rocsteady wrote:
Lotus wrote:This is probably grossly simplified, but I always thought of it in two ways: making people aware of your product, and then keeping your product in people's minds.

Brands like McDonald's and Coca Cola generally don't need to advertise because so they're so huge and ubiquitous (unless they bring out a new burger or flavour I guess), but keeping the brand in the public consciousness and such is why they sponsor huge events and keep adverts on TV and billboards.

Your first para is pretty much spot on - ensuring mental and physical availability is basically all marketing is.

With Coke - I'm thirsty, I want something sweet, the local shop I'm walking by sells coke. Due to the brand work they've done previously, amongst other factors of course, I'll probably get a coke rather than a competitor.

Even huge brands still need to advertise though, in order to remain as huge/ to grow further.


Coke is pretty much a worldwide generic name for cola, so their name is out there without them having to do anything.

"Could I have a coke?"
"We only have Pepsi"
"SAME BLOODY THING!"

Image
User avatar
Oblomov Boblomov
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Mind Crime, SSBM_God

PostRe: Products That Don't Advertise Anymore/Is Advertising A Big Brand Necessary?
by Oblomov Boblomov » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:26 am

Just to agree with Roc really — the old adage rings true that if you don't keep moving forwards, you don't stay still, you end up falling behind.

I've heard so many people confidently state that advertising doesn't work on them. Fools, I tell you! People (understandably) hate the idea that their brains can be manipulated like this.

Image
User avatar
Victor Mildew
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Products That Don't Advertise Anymore/Is Advertising A Big Brand Necessary?
by Victor Mildew » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:35 am

Image

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.
User avatar
Rocsteady
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Products That Don't Advertise Anymore/Is Advertising A Big Brand Necessary?
by Rocsteady » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:39 am

Moggy wrote:
Rocsteady wrote:
Lotus wrote:This is probably grossly simplified, but I always thought of it in two ways: making people aware of your product, and then keeping your product in people's minds.

Brands like McDonald's and Coca Cola generally don't need to advertise because so they're so huge and ubiquitous (unless they bring out a new burger or flavour I guess), but keeping the brand in the public consciousness and such is why they sponsor huge events and keep adverts on TV and billboards.

Your first para is pretty much spot on - ensuring mental and physical availability is basically all marketing is.

With Coke - I'm thirsty, I want something sweet, the local shop I'm walking by sells coke. Due to the brand work they've done previously, amongst other factors of course, I'll probably get a coke rather than a competitor.

Even huge brands still need to advertise though, in order to remain as huge/ to grow further.


Coke is pretty much a worldwide generic name for cola, so their name is out there without them having to do anything.

"Could I have a coke?"
"We only have Pepsi"
"SAME BLOODY THING!"

Aye but that only came about due to market dominance!

Image
User avatar
Rocsteady
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Products That Don't Advertise Anymore/Is Advertising A Big Brand Necessary?
by Rocsteady » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:40 am

Tomous wrote:
OrangeRKN wrote:Well cigarettes are obviously a special case because you legally can't advertise them. I think it was on QI or something that cigarette company profits all went up when those laws came in because most of the marketing money was a zero-sum game competing with each other?

Also, while I agree in general, I was just reading about diamonds on wikipedia the other day (as one does find themselves on seemingly random subjects on wikipedia) and it was interesting to read about De Beers advertising diamonds in general as opposed to their own specific products in order to alter public perceptions.



De Beers literally created a multi-billion industry with their marketing campaign for diamonds, it must be one of the most successful ever.

Definitely. DB marketing is an absolute masterclass.

Horrific company, but still.

Image
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

PostRe: Products That Don't Advertise Anymore/Is Advertising A Big Brand Necessary?
by Moggy » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:42 am

Rocsteady wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Rocsteady wrote:
Lotus wrote:This is probably grossly simplified, but I always thought of it in two ways: making people aware of your product, and then keeping your product in people's minds.

Brands like McDonald's and Coca Cola generally don't need to advertise because so they're so huge and ubiquitous (unless they bring out a new burger or flavour I guess), but keeping the brand in the public consciousness and such is why they sponsor huge events and keep adverts on TV and billboards.

Your first para is pretty much spot on - ensuring mental and physical availability is basically all marketing is.

With Coke - I'm thirsty, I want something sweet, the local shop I'm walking by sells coke. Due to the brand work they've done previously, amongst other factors of course, I'll probably get a coke rather than a competitor.

Even huge brands still need to advertise though, in order to remain as huge/ to grow further.


Coke is pretty much a worldwide generic name for cola, so their name is out there without them having to do anything.

"Could I have a coke?"
"We only have Pepsi"
"SAME BLOODY THING!"

Aye but that only came about due to market dominance!


They'd have conquered the entire market if they had left the cocaine in.

Image
User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Jenuall
Location: 40 light-years outside of the Exeter nebula

PostRe: Products That Don't Advertise Anymore/Is Advertising A Big Brand Necessary?
by Jenuall » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:45 am

Preezy wrote:
Jenuall wrote:I haven't seen an advert for Pepsi Max in probably 10 years and yet I still drink infinity billion gallons of the stuff every day! :toot:

Don't know how you've managed to avoid the adverts with all the footballers in, but well done you.

Are these TV ads? I basically watch no live TV these days and any on demand services are use are not ad-supported so I definitely won't have seen those!

Image
User avatar
rinks
Member
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Aboard the train that goes around the world

PostRe: Products That Don't Advertise Anymore/Is Advertising A Big Brand Necessary?
by rinks » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:49 am

OrangeRKN wrote:Well cigarettes are obviously a special case because you legally can't advertise them. I think it was on QI or something that cigarette company profits all went up when those laws came in because most of the marketing money was a zero-sum game competing with each other?

Also, while I agree in general, I was just reading about diamonds on wikipedia the other day (as one does find themselves on seemingly random subjects on wikipedia) and it was interesting to read about De Beers advertising diamonds in general as opposed to their own specific products in order to alter public perceptions.


That bullshit “tradition” about spending x times your monthly salary on an engagement ring was supposedly invented by De Beers.

User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009
Location: The Umbral Plains

PostRe: Products That Don't Advertise Anymore/Is Advertising A Big Brand Necessary?
by Preezy » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:51 am

Jenuall wrote:
Preezy wrote:
Jenuall wrote:I haven't seen an advert for Pepsi Max in probably 10 years and yet I still drink infinity billion gallons of the stuff every day! :toot:

Don't know how you've managed to avoid the adverts with all the footballers in, but well done you.

Are these TV ads? I basically watch no live TV these days and any on demand services are use are not ad-supported so I definitely won't have seen those!

Actually to be honest I'm thinking of youtube adverts, no idea if they're on live TV as I also seldom watch it :lol:

Image
User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Jenuall
Location: 40 light-years outside of the Exeter nebula

PostRe: Products That Don't Advertise Anymore/Is Advertising A Big Brand Necessary?
by Jenuall » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:53 am

Preezy wrote:
Jenuall wrote:
Preezy wrote:
Jenuall wrote:I haven't seen an advert for Pepsi Max in probably 10 years and yet I still drink infinity billion gallons of the stuff every day! :toot:

Don't know how you've managed to avoid the adverts with all the footballers in, but well done you.

Are these TV ads? I basically watch no live TV these days and any on demand services are use are not ad-supported so I definitely won't have seen those!

Actually to be honest I'm thinking of youtube adverts, no idea if they're on live TV as I also seldom watch it :lol:

I don't know how YouTube targets ads but all I ever see are ones for stock trading, Audible and that bloody glorified spellcheck service Grammarly!

Image
User avatar
Cuttooth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Products That Don't Advertise Anymore/Is Advertising A Big Brand Necessary?
by Cuttooth » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:53 am

rinks wrote:
OrangeRKN wrote:Well cigarettes are obviously a special case because you legally can't advertise them. I think it was on QI or something that cigarette company profits all went up when those laws came in because most of the marketing money was a zero-sum game competing with each other?

Also, while I agree in general, I was just reading about diamonds on wikipedia the other day (as one does find themselves on seemingly random subjects on wikipedia) and it was interesting to read about De Beers advertising diamonds in general as opposed to their own specific products in order to alter public perceptions.


That bullshit “tradition” about spending x times your monthly salary on an engagement ring was supposedly invented by De Beers.

Highly recommend this Articles of Interest podcast episode on the bullshit of diamonds.

https://99percentinvisible.org/episode/ ... terest-11/

User avatar
Rocsteady
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Products That Don't Advertise Anymore/Is Advertising A Big Brand Necessary?
by Rocsteady » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:54 am

After reading a bit about them previously I think I'll definitely be going down the lab grown route for any engagement ring.

Image
User avatar
Vermilion
Gnome Thief
Joined in 2018
Location: Everywhere
Contact:

PostRe: Products That Don't Advertise Anymore/Is Advertising A Big Brand Necessary?
by Vermilion » Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:56 pm

Jenuall wrote:Most people would probably name Laramie cigarettes


That'll be because of the smooth, good taste and rich tobacco flavour.

User avatar
RJ Badman
Member
Joined in 2020

PostRe: Products That Don't Advertise Anymore/Is Advertising A Big Brand Necessary?
by RJ Badman » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:55 am

Funnily enough, on my half hour bus journey this morning all but about two of the bus stop billboards have been for Coke and basically say "ordering Coke at your local pub is great, innit?"

I can't think of a single local that doesn't serve Pepsi. :|

Opinions expressed in this post are those of RJ Badman and do not reflect the views of Bovril Fluid Beef Ltd.
User avatar
Victor Mildew
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Products That Don't Advertise Anymore/Is Advertising A Big Brand Necessary?
by Victor Mildew » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:10 am

Lotus wrote:This is probably grossly simplified, but I always thought of it in two ways: making people aware of your product, and then keeping your product in people's minds.

Brands like McDonald's and Coca Cola generally don't need to advertise because so they're so huge and ubiquitous (unless they bring out a new burger or flavour I guess), but keeping the brand in the public consciousness and such is why they sponsor huge events and keep adverts on TV and billboards.


It's exactly this (simplified as you say).

1. Make people aware of your product
2. Make it the brand people associate with that kind of product when there are multiple similar ones on the market (ordering coke over pepsi when both would do and you should really just ask for cola, )
3. When a brand is so prevalent as something like coke, the main purpose is to make you fancy it in that moment. Alcohol adverts play on this a lot, showing you a nice sunny day and making you think how refreshing it would be. Hot day, walking around, see a coke sign of some sort, triggers a mental response of "Oh how nice would it be to have a cold coke".

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.

Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alvin Flummux, Cuttooth, Garth, Green Gecko, Photek, Rawrgna, RichardUK and 205 guests