PS2 emulation on PS3?

Anything to do with games at all.
User avatar
Rex Kramer
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: PS2 emulation on PS3?
by Rex Kramer » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:59 am

I would be incredibly suprised if PS2 games didn't make their way on to the Playstation store in the future. I don't think they'll ever re-introduce backwards compatibility for disc based games but they wouldn't overlook such an obvious revenue stream. Whether people would be prepared to pay again for a game they already have on disc is another matter.

LongHairStu
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: PS2 emulation on PS3?
by LongHairStu » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:04 am

Rex Kramer wrote:I would be incredibly suprised if PS2 games didn't make their way on to the Playstation store in the future. I don't think they'll ever re-introduce backwards compatibility for disc based games but they wouldn't overlook such an obvious revenue stream. Whether people would be prepared to pay again for a game they already have on disc is another matter.


Surely the thing about this model (the absence of which would be surprising) is that it proves that the vanilla PS3 (ie. not the original PS2 chipset-containing 60GB model) can handle emulation in software. If it can do that, it can play the discs, and if we are prevented from playing the discs at that time, then that just makes Sony look even worse.

And why shouldn't we be able to play the discs at that point? New customers have access to the games via download, early customers are rewarded for their long service to the Sony cause!

If, that is, PS2 emulation can indeed be handled in software...

[gamercard]LongHairStu[/gamercard]

"Fantastic. You remained resolute and resourceful in an atmosphere of extreme pessimism."

Of course I did, I'm a gamer.
User avatar
Rex Kramer
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: PS2 emulation on PS3?
by Rex Kramer » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:13 am

LongHairStu wrote:
Rex Kramer wrote:I would be incredibly suprised if PS2 games didn't make their way on to the Playstation store in the future. I don't think they'll ever re-introduce backwards compatibility for disc based games but they wouldn't overlook such an obvious revenue stream. Whether people would be prepared to pay again for a game they already have on disc is another matter.


Surely the thing about this model (the absence of which would be surprising) is that it proves that the vanilla PS3 (ie. not the original PS2 chipset-containing 60GB model) can handle emulation in software. If it can do that, it can play the discs, and if we are prevented from playing the discs at that time, then that just makes Sony look even worse.

And why shouldn't we be able to play the discs at that point? New customers have access to the games via download, early customers are rewarded for their long service to the Sony cause!

If, that is, PS2 emulation can indeed be handled in software...

I don't see it happening soon, I think it will be towards the end of the lifespan of the PS3 once the PS2 sales have dropped considerably. Maybe Sony will be nice to us all allow BC on disc games via software emulation. Personally though I don't think they will.

User avatar
Yoshimi
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Near Edinburgh

PostRe: PS2 emulation on PS3?
by Yoshimi » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:13 am

When Sony inevitably start selling PS2 games via Download, surely they'll have no excuse not to allow playing PS2 games from disk.

User avatar
Rex Kramer
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: PS2 emulation on PS3?
by Rex Kramer » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:36 am

Yoshimi wrote:When Sony inevitably start selling PS2 games via Download, surely they'll have no excuse not to allow playing PS2 games from disk.

It wouldn't suprise me if they said they had to 're-engineer' PS2 games to work on PS3 therefore meaning that the originals won't work.

Last edited by Rex Kramer on Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Pattybean
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: insert 10p to continue
Location: The Tower

PostRe: PS2 emulation on PS3?
by Pattybean » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:08 am

Rex Kramer wrote:
Yoshimi wrote:When Sony inevitably start selling PS2 games via Download, surely they'll have no excuse not to allow playing PS2 games from disk.

I wouldn't suprise me if they said they had to 're-engineer' PS2 games to work on PS3 therefore meaning that the originals won't work.


I agree this will probably turn out to be the most likely option.

Image
NEON MASTER RACE
pattybean - SW1164-1565-3232
User avatar
Beans
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: PS2 emulation on PS3?
by Beans » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:08 am

Whats the big deal? I have a 60GB PS3 and I dont think I have once played a PS2 game. Why would I bother when there are newer and better games available :?

TravelJug
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: N. Ireland

PostRe: PS2 emulation on PS3?
by TravelJug » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:31 pm

LewisD wrote:
TravelJug wrote:I'm asking on behalf of a friend here who wants a PS3, but he wants BC. I keep on telling him the new PS3 have emulation software on them.


Lies make baby jesus cry.


Your face makes me cry.

Beans wrote:Whats the big deal? I have a 60GB PS3 and I dont think I have once played a PS2 game. Why would I bother when there are newer and better games available :?



I agree. I haven't either and don't plan to. Last gen is out the window to me.

User avatar
sw26
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: PS2 emulation on PS3?
by sw26 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:39 pm

Beans wrote:Whats the big deal? I have a 60GB PS3 and I dont think I have once played a PS2 game. Why would I bother when there are newer and better games available :?


Because the PS2 has one of the best game libraries ever, most of which is available now for a fraction of the price of a PS3 game. And of course newer does not automatically mean better (unless we're talking iterative games like Gran Turismo or something similar).

User avatar
Pattybean
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: insert 10p to continue
Location: The Tower

PostRe: PS2 emulation on PS3?
by Pattybean » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:33 pm

Beans wrote:Whats the big deal? I have a 60GB PS3 and I dont think I have once played a PS2 game. Why would I bother when there are newer and better games available :?


Plus I have a PS2 with swap magic which is better than BC anyway.

Image
NEON MASTER RACE
pattybean - SW1164-1565-3232
LongHairStu
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: PS2 emulation on PS3?
by LongHairStu » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:10 pm

Oh come on, "last gen is gone" (or whatever) people, at least tell us you're rationalising not being able to justify/afford/make space for more than one console? I don't have space for a 360 and an Xbox, so I miss Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath and Riddick: Butcher Bay. I miss them, not dismiss them. I can't afford to get into the PC-upgrade route of PC gaming, so I lament the fact that many great PC titles are not brought to the consoles. I don't judge them to be without merit in such a sweeping fashion as you do with last-gen games, I'm just genuinely sad that the market cannot support a wide range of titles on platforms that are accessible to all.

And how do you cope with pre-last gen? Do you not retro-game at all? Do you rule out playing, say, Braid because it doesn't utterly encapsulate "next-gen" (or at least doesn't look it does). Last-gen titles are no less worth playing just because of when they came out, or which platform they came out on, and a platform holder like Sony should do their utmost to see that we can still play them. With the bonus element of not ripping us off in the process.

[gamercard]LongHairStu[/gamercard]

"Fantastic. You remained resolute and resourceful in an atmosphere of extreme pessimism."

Of course I did, I'm a gamer.
User avatar
Hulohot
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: dan_e1990
Location: Hampshire
Contact:

PostRe: PS2 emulation on PS3?
by Hulohot » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:19 pm

I want to play Shadow of the Colossus again, and Metal Gear Solid 3. Hope the software patch rumour is true.


Return to “Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: FatDaz, Frank, HSH28, Jamo3103, JediDragon05, kazanova_Frankenstein, Mafro, Poser, Qikz, Robbo-92, The Watching Artist, TonyDA, Trelliz and 65 guests