PS5 Deepdive Tomorrow @ 4pm

Anything to do with games at all.
User avatar
DrPepperMan
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: PS5 Deepdive Tomorrow @ 4pm
by DrPepperMan » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:22 pm

The description of the video is "PS5 lead system architect Mark Cerny provides a deep dive into PS5’s system architecture and how it will shape the future of games." even before the video was live... yet people cry that this is a mess. Pathetic really, learn to read.

Image
User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Jenuall
Location: 40 light-years outside of the Exeter nebula

PostRe: PS5 Deepdive Tomorrow @ 4pm
by Jenuall » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:34 pm

As has been stated many times - it's largely irrelevant what the aim of the video was. The fact is that this was the debut of the system. People have been waiting months for solid information about the PS5. Sony shared this widely across their social media. They knew what people wanted to see and chose not to tailor their reveal to those needs at all.

As a developer deep dive it is undoubtedly a good presentation, there's no real doubt about that. But it doesn't mean that Sony are immune from criticism for how they have shared information about their headline hardware reveal.

Image
User avatar
Victor Mildew
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: PS5 Deepdive Tomorrow @ 4pm
by Victor Mildew » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:36 pm

PATHETIC ALL OF YOU

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.
User avatar
Somebody Else's Problem
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

PostRe: PS5 Deepdive Tomorrow @ 4pm
by Somebody Else's Problem » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:50 pm

Should have let Digital Foundry do it.

Image
jawa4
Member
Joined in 2020

PostRe: PS5 Deepdive Tomorrow @ 4pm
by jawa4 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:07 pm

DrPepperMan wrote:The description of the video is "PS5 lead system architect Mark Cerny provides a deep dive into PS5’s system architecture and how it will shape the future of games." even before the video was live... yet people cry that this is a mess. Pathetic really, learn to read.


PS3 = "Get two jobs"
PS5 = "Learn to read"

:lol: ;) .

User avatar
Saint of Killers
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: PS5 Deepdive Tomorrow @ 4pm
by Saint of Killers » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:31 pm

Mafro wrote:Good collection of reactions from game devs, the people this video was actually aimed at https://www.resetera.com/threads/devs-r ... on.175980/


Sony should send over engineers to non-first party devs so they're better able to utilise the more unique to PS5 features. Or you know, ask gamers to spend a chunk of money on tech only a few games a year will utilise.

| (•_•)| S: This is the best date I've been on since my last date. PB: This is not a date.
S: Neither was the last one. It was a robbery. M: Really? S: Yeah. She stole my heart. And my crown. (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
User avatar
Saint of Killers
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: PS5 Deepdive Tomorrow @ 4pm
by Saint of Killers » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:46 pm

jawa4 wrote:
Mafro wrote:...good reactions from game devs, the people this video was actually aimed at...

I think you're spot-on, Mafro, although Sony didn't exactly position it like that. It was pretty cool insight but, man, forty-five minutes of that was just too much as a "hey, this is our new console!" presentation.

The tech is looking great (although I do harbour reservations about the relative paucity of storage space compared to current consoles) but I wish both MS and Sony were putting games front-and-centre rather than tech specs. It kinda feels way too PC-ish... and I'm not digging at PC enthusiasts by saying this; but it's not really what consoles should be about. IMHO.


Can't wait for the official PS5 teardown video :strawberry floating yawn:

| (•_•)| S: This is the best date I've been on since my last date. PB: This is not a date.
S: Neither was the last one. It was a robbery. M: Really? S: Yeah. She stole my heart. And my crown. (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
User avatar
Victor Mildew
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: PS5 Deepdive Tomorrow @ 4pm
by Victor Mildew » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:50 pm

jawa4 wrote:PS3 = "Get two jobs"
PS5 = "Learn to read"

:lol: ;) .


:lol:

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.
User avatar
gamerforever
Member
Joined in 2010

PostRe: PS5 Deepdive Tomorrow @ 4pm
by gamerforever » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:12 pm

Looking forward to Cerny's video chat with Richard Leadbetter from DF. Everything hinges on the price now imo. It simply has to undercut the Series X by 20% at least at launch.

User avatar
Rik
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: PS5 Deepdive Tomorrow @ 4pm
by Rik » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:25 pm

Sony got caught with their pants down this time, they've obviously tried to add a clock speed boost when they found out how out engineered they were, it's pretty embarrassing really.
It's going to be 10 tflops on a good day and nearer nine as the clocks go south when it's pushed hard.

Inferior CPU
Slower Ram
Ray tracing linked to CU number so inferior.
Half baked BC
Will probably run hot and loud.
But at least the games will load a couple of seconds faster :lol:

It better be £100 cheaper.

Neogaf: Riky
User avatar
HaruKazuhira
Member
Joined in 2018

PostRe: PS5 Deepdive Tomorrow @ 4pm
by HaruKazuhira » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:22 pm

I'll buy XSX when Ninja Theory release their next game. Outside that, nothing in Xbox personally interest me atm. People are so hung up by the numbers >,>

Image
"I am the reason, the answer and the problem"
twitter
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

PostRe: PS5 Deepdive Tomorrow @ 4pm
by Moggy » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:33 am

gamerforever wrote:Looking forward to Cerny's video chat with Richard Leadbetter from DF. Everything hinges on the price now imo. It simply has to undercut the Series X by 20% at least at launch.


Didn’t you previously say you’d pay £2000 for the PS5?

Image
User avatar
gamerforever
Member
Joined in 2010

PostRe: PS5 Deepdive Tomorrow @ 4pm
by gamerforever » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:40 am

Moggy wrote:
gamerforever wrote:Looking forward to Cerny's video chat with Richard Leadbetter from DF. Everything hinges on the price now imo. It simply has to undercut the Series X by 20% at least at launch.


Didn’t you previously say you’d pay £2000 for the PS5?


I would if it was 14tf and had a bit more power. The majority of gamers won’t though.

User avatar
Saint of Killers
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: PS5 Deepdive Tomorrow @ 4pm
by Saint of Killers » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:14 pm

An update by a PlayStation bigwig concerning BC:

A quick update on backward compatibility – With all of the amazing games in PS4’s catalog, we’ve devoted significant efforts to enable our fans to play their favorites on PS5. We believe that the overwhelming majority of the 4,000+ PS4 titles will be playable on PS5.

We’re expecting backward compatible titles will run at a boosted frequency on PS5 so that they can benefit from higher or more stable frame rates and potentially higher resolutions. We’re currently evaluating games on a title-by-title basis to spot any issues that need adjustment from the original software developers.

In his presentation, Mark Cerny provided a snapshot into the Top 100 most-played PS4 titles, demonstrating how well our backward compatibility efforts are going. We have already tested hundreds of titles and are preparing to test thousands more as we move toward launch. We will provide updates on backward compatibility, along with much more PS5 news, in the months ahead. Stay tuned!

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2020/03 ... cal-specs/

| (•_•)| S: This is the best date I've been on since my last date. PB: This is not a date.
S: Neither was the last one. It was a robbery. M: Really? S: Yeah. She stole my heart. And my crown. (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: PS5 Deepdive Tomorrow @ 4pm
by Peter Crisp » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:27 pm

They just need to show a bloody picture of the console now.

Sony make strawberry floating cameras so they must have one spare somewhere! I honestly think maybe it's because they've designed something so monstrously hideous looking they're just holding it back to spare themselves from the tidal wave of hate mail.

jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: PS5 Deepdive Tomorrow @ 4pm
by KK » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:30 pm

Saint of Killers wrote:An update by a PlayStation bigwig concerning BC:

A quick update on backward compatibility – With all of the amazing games in PS4’s catalog, we’ve devoted significant efforts to enable our fans to play their favorites on PS5. We believe that the overwhelming majority of the 4,000+ PS4 titles will be playable on PS5.

We’re expecting backward compatible titles will run at a boosted frequency on PS5 so that they can benefit from higher or more stable frame rates and potentially higher resolutions. We’re currently evaluating games on a title-by-title basis to spot any issues that need adjustment from the original software developers.

In his presentation, Mark Cerny provided a snapshot into the Top 100 most-played PS4 titles, demonstrating how well our backward compatibility efforts are going. We have already tested hundreds of titles and are preparing to test thousands more as we move toward launch. We will provide updates on backward compatibility, along with much more PS5 news, in the months ahead. Stay tuned!

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2020/03 ... cal-specs/

Thank god that’s now been clarified. Here’s hoping there’s no hitches between now and launch day.

Boy does it show how confusing Sony’s messaging was when even those working on the official PS blog didn’t get it right following the deep dive. Rocky start from Sony, but far from a fatal one.

Image
User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: PS5 Deepdive Tomorrow @ 4pm
by Peter Crisp » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:44 pm

I wonder if Last of Us 2 will get a day one PS5 patch?
Seems like it would be an obvious candidate but given what we're hearing about the working conditions for staff maybe it's better they get a few months of paid holiday.

jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
User avatar
Samuel_1
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: PS5 Deepdive Tomorrow @ 4pm
by Samuel_1 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:54 am

Well, that felt more like a lecture than a console reveal. Developers are doing a much better job of selling the PS5 than Sony at this point, they really need to sort their messaging out. Glad they have cleared up the BC issue. I have thoroughly enjoyed Sony's exclusives this gen, so will be picking up the PS5 first and maybe the SX when it comes down in price. That's if I'm not totally broke by then, as due to this pandemic, I have no bloody income :(

Supporting My Local Mule Sanctuary Since 11/11/2014.

Donations welcome, please PM me to prevent unwarranted mule kicking.
User avatar
Photek
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Dublin

PostRe: PS5 Deepdive Tomorrow @ 4pm
by Photek » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:57 am

At least now they say it should play most PS4 games...

Image
Modern Warfare Tag: PHOTEK#9326680
User avatar
gaminglegend
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: North East, UK

PostRe: PS5 Deepdive Tomorrow @ 4pm
by gaminglegend » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:21 am

I think I’ve made a mistake. When I’ve read backwards compatibility I’ve thought the whole backlog ps1/ps2/ps3 not just PS4.. is it just PS4?

Image

Return to “Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: aayl1, Balladeer, D_C, Fade, gamerforever, gaminglegend, Jezo, kazanova_Frankenstein, Memento Mori, OrangeRKN, Peter Crisp, Ploiper, Qikz, SerialCeler and 45 guests