NeoGAF owner accused of sexual assault - spin-off site Resetera launched

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Mafro
Moderator
Joined in 2008
AKA: DAT MAF
Contact:

PostRe: NeoGAF owner accused of sexual assault - spin-off site Resetera launched
by Mafro » Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:06 pm

Given how much that lot slobber over console exclusives it's weird how the EGS is treated as some grand crime of the century.

HSH28 wrote:Assmung you ever get one that is.

Blog | Twitter
User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: NeoGAF owner accused of sexual assault - spin-off site Resetera launched
by Lagamorph » Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:08 pm

Ultimately most of the arguments against it will eventually devolve into "But muh Steam!!!"

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
PsychicSykes
Emeritus
Emeritus
Joined in 2008
Location: Sykes Stadium

PostRe: NeoGAF owner accused of sexual assault - spin-off site Resetera launched
by PsychicSykes » Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:17 pm

:shifty:

---
The Epic Store is trash.
User avatar
Super Dragon 64
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: NeoGAF owner accused of sexual assault - spin-off site Resetera launched
by Super Dragon 64 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:13 pm

Steam objectively has better features than EGS and even other rivals like GOG Galaxy and the Microsoft Store. I have no problem trying an alternative but I know that Steam makes my games more accessible thanks to Big Picture Mode and pretty much native support for my Switch Pro Controller and Dualshock 4.

On top of that, Epic's money hatting flies in the face of the freedom of choice that PC gaming gives. There may be an argument that this helps developers make games that wouldn't otherwise exist but it really leaves a sour taste when developers have used that line in Kickstarter and then take another payout from Epic. The bankers are sometimes refunded their money but this then makes Epic, in my view, less of the philanthropic publisher that people try to paint it as and more like any other business.

Image
User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: NeoGAF owner accused of sexual assault - spin-off site Resetera launched
by Tafdolphin » Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:31 pm

Absolutely no-one is trying to paint Epic as philanthropic.

Gemini73 wrote:You really are just an obnoxious little toad.

Night Call: a game what I worked on. Out now!
t: @Tafdolphin | Twitch: Tafdolphin
User avatar
Qikz
#420BlazeIt ♥
Joined in 2011

PostRe: NeoGAF owner accused of sexual assault - spin-off site Resetera launched
by Qikz » Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:32 pm

My problem with EGS is it completely negates the benefit of PC (buy anywhere play anywhere). You can't buy EGS anywhere else outside of EGS so you can't get good deals.

Image
The Watching Artist wrote:I feel so inept next to Qikz...
User avatar
Jazzem
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: NeoGAF owner accused of sexual assault - spin-off site Resetera launched
by Jazzem » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:48 pm

Seeing people characterise it as just another launcher gets gross when you consider Steam has better accessibility features thanks to Steam Input and better reach between Linux support and better global distribution. I wonder if those smugly dimissing critics as whiny gamers would keep that tone in response to disabled folks saying they need the accessibility features.

Even with those particular examples aside, I don't think it's unreasonable to be disappointed from being locked off from a better user experience; all the little benefits of Steam add up enough that buying something on EGS would feel notably inferior.

Plus phrasing them as being good for providing competition...while they behave in anti-competitive and consumer unfriendly ways, basically trying to throw outrageous money around to bruteforce their way to market leader with no benefit for the end user. Valve ain't saints but at least they let Steam keys get sold wherever and don't block games from appearing on other launchers. All this talk of Valve being a monopoly yet Epic are far more blatantly monopolistic in their behaviour and goals.

Also Epic are worker exploiting shitheads who gained much of their fortune through predatory monetization in a game that masses of children play. Why anyone is going to bat for them, much less fellow progressives is beyond me. Been disappointed in a few people I otherwise admire in that regard.

That all said...I don't blame smaller developers for taking the exclusivity money at all, the Untitled Goose Game devs did so and explained it in a fair manner, that extra security has got to be such comfort in the precarious world of indie development. Less understanding is extended to kickstartered games that promised Steam keys or big publishers however...

User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: NeoGAF owner accused of sexual assault - spin-off site Resetera launched
by Lagamorph » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:13 pm

When it comes to features, what features does EGS really lack that Steam has?
Big Picture Mode - Whilst this is useful, it's far from stable on Steam. And other launches also don't have anything like this. Don't single out EGS for not having it.
Chat features - What would be the point? If Epic went to the time and effort of making an equivalent of Steam chat, would people really use it when there are services like Discord already available and massively used? I don't see the point in spending time and money developing a feature that only a tiny portion of the userbase will ever bother with and that isn't a necessity like accessibility features are.
Cloud Saves - EGS is making progress on this from what I gather. And again, Origin is pretty poor at Cloud Saves sometimes, with only some games seeming to support them.
Linux Support - I don't think "EGS doesn't support Linux" is a very valid criticism unless you're also going to level the same criticism at pretty much every other launcher out there.
Achievements - Would definitely be nice to have, but a lack of an achievement system is again not a reason to level the pure hatred EGS gets at it. I don't see people foaming at the mouth to call Nintendo scum because the Switch doesn't have an Achievement/Trophy system.

I don't see Origin, uPlay or Battle.net Supporting Linux, nor do I see them having many of the features Steam has. Yet those platforms don't get the vitriol that EGS gets.

Accessibility features are absolutely something launchers should be criticised for not having, but it's not at all fair to single out just one of them for literal hatred.

I wouldn't say I'm "Going to bat for Epic", but I am saying that Epic and the EGS do not deserve the reaction they get when everyone else in the market is up to pretty much the same tricks.

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Jazzem
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: NeoGAF owner accused of sexual assault - spin-off site Resetera launched
by Jazzem » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:19 pm

Lagamorph wrote:When it comes to features, what features does EGS really lack that Steam has?
Big Picture Mode - Whilst this is useful, it's far from stable on Steam. And other launches also don't have anything like this. Don't single out EGS for not having it.
Chat features - What would be the point? If Epic went to the time and effort of making an equivalent of Steam chat, would people really use it when there are services like Discord already available and massively used? I don't see the point in spending time and money developing a feature that only a tiny portion of the userbase will ever bother with and that isn't a necessity like accessibility features are.
Cloud Saves - EGS is making progress on this from what I gather. And again, Origin is pretty poor at Cloud Saves sometimes, with only some games seeming to support them.
Linux Support - I don't think "EGS doesn't support Linux" is a very valid criticism unless you're also going to level the same criticism at pretty much every other launcher out there.
Achievements - Would definitely be nice to have, but a lack of an achievement system is again not a reason to level the pure hatred EGS gets at it. I don't see people foaming at the mouth to call Nintendo scum because the Switch doesn't have an Achievement/Trophy system.

I don't see Origin, uPlay or Battle.net Supporting Linux, nor do I see them having many of the features Steam has. Yet those platforms don't get the vitriol that EGS gets.

Accessibility features are absolutely something launchers should be criticised for not having, but it's not at all fair to single out just one of them for literal hatred.

I wouldn't say I'm "Going to bat for Epic", but I am saying that Epic and the EGS do not deserve the reaction they get when everyone else in the market is up to pretty much the same tricks.


I'm afraid Epic has to be singled out for not having features, even if other launchers don't have them, when it's the only option for exclusives. I'm not forced to use single launchers unless for first party support (fair enough really, you never really see complaints of Fortnite being elsewhere for one). I'm not going to like not having access to features simply because a monolithic company wants to grow even larger while giving no strawberry floats about its workers or end user choice.

Enough of those features, even if minor on their own, have added up to make Steam my preferred way to play on PC (though god yeah I wish Big Picture was more stable D:). In particular, dualshock 4 is my controller of choice for the moment and it's a pain to get working with other clients. It's to the extent that I often load non-Steam games through it now.

I obviously have no intention of emboldening any especially hideous remarks coming out of the whole mess, of course deeply personal insults and harassment are never okay and I hate that there's been many of them, especially aimed at smaller developers...regardless, I don't think people being very critical of a large conglomerate encoraching a marketplace monopolistically and taking away user choice is unreasonable.

Last edited by Jazzem on Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: NeoGAF owner accused of sexual assault - spin-off site Resetera launched
by Lagamorph » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:27 pm

Jazzem wrote:
Lagamorph wrote:When it comes to features, what features does EGS really lack that Steam has?
Big Picture Mode - Whilst this is useful, it's far from stable on Steam. And other launches also don't have anything like this. Don't single out EGS for not having it.
Chat features - What would be the point? If Epic went to the time and effort of making an equivalent of Steam chat, would people really use it when there are services like Discord already available and massively used? I don't see the point in spending time and money developing a feature that only a tiny portion of the userbase will ever bother with and that isn't a necessity like accessibility features are.
Cloud Saves - EGS is making progress on this from what I gather. And again, Origin is pretty poor at Cloud Saves sometimes, with only some games seeming to support them.
Linux Support - I don't think "EGS doesn't support Linux" is a very valid criticism unless you're also going to level the same criticism at pretty much every other launcher out there.
Achievements - Would definitely be nice to have, but a lack of an achievement system is again not a reason to level the pure hatred EGS gets at it. I don't see people foaming at the mouth to call Nintendo scum because the Switch doesn't have an Achievement/Trophy system.

I don't see Origin, uPlay or Battle.net Supporting Linux, nor do I see them having many of the features Steam has. Yet those platforms don't get the vitriol that EGS gets.

Accessibility features are absolutely something launchers should be criticised for not having, but it's not at all fair to single out just one of them for literal hatred.

I wouldn't say I'm "Going to bat for Epic", but I am saying that Epic and the EGS do not deserve the reaction they get when everyone else in the market is up to pretty much the same tricks.


I'm afraid Epic has to be singled out for not having features, even if other launchers don't have them, when it's the only option for exclusives. I'm not forced to use single launchers unless for first party support (fair enough really, you never really see complaints of Fortnite being elsewhere for one). I'm not going to like not having access to features simply because a monolithic company wants to grow even larger while giving no strawberry floats about its workers or end user choice.

Enough of those features, even if minor on their own, have added up to make Steam my preferred way to play on PC (though god yeah I wish Big Picture was more stable D:). In particular, dualshock 4 is my controller of choice for the moment and it's a pain to get working with other clients.

I obviously have no intention of emboldening any especially hideous remarks coming out of the whole mess, of course deeply personal insults and harassment are never okay and I hate that there's been many of them, especially aimed at smaller developers...regardless, I don't think people being very critical of a large conglomerate encoraching a marketplace monopolistically and taking away user choice is unreasonable.


But Steam is the only option for some exclusives. Origin is the only option for some exclusives. uPlay is the only option for some exclusives. Battle.Net is the only option for every single title on it. So the argument that "Epic has to be singled out because it's the only option for exclusives" doesn't hold water at all. You either have to level the same criticisms at every launcher where they're valid (Aka virtually all of them), or not at all. You can't just go "Well yeah Origin doesn't have a Big Picture mode or support Dual Shock 4, but Epic Game Store is the one we should all strawberry floating hate because it's strawberry floating scum!!!!!111"

I don't really agree you can say "Epic are taking away user choice" when if they weren't around the titles would likely just end up as Steam exclusives. Where's the user choice in that scenario? Yet nobody was complaining about that before EGS came along.

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Jazzem
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: NeoGAF owner accused of sexual assault - spin-off site Resetera launched
by Jazzem » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:30 pm

Lagamorph wrote:
Jazzem wrote:
Lagamorph wrote:When it comes to features, what features does EGS really lack that Steam has?
Big Picture Mode - Whilst this is useful, it's far from stable on Steam. And other launches also don't have anything like this. Don't single out EGS for not having it.
Chat features - What would be the point? If Epic went to the time and effort of making an equivalent of Steam chat, would people really use it when there are services like Discord already available and massively used? I don't see the point in spending time and money developing a feature that only a tiny portion of the userbase will ever bother with and that isn't a necessity like accessibility features are.
Cloud Saves - EGS is making progress on this from what I gather. And again, Origin is pretty poor at Cloud Saves sometimes, with only some games seeming to support them.
Linux Support - I don't think "EGS doesn't support Linux" is a very valid criticism unless you're also going to level the same criticism at pretty much every other launcher out there.
Achievements - Would definitely be nice to have, but a lack of an achievement system is again not a reason to level the pure hatred EGS gets at it. I don't see people foaming at the mouth to call Nintendo scum because the Switch doesn't have an Achievement/Trophy system.

I don't see Origin, uPlay or Battle.net Supporting Linux, nor do I see them having many of the features Steam has. Yet those platforms don't get the vitriol that EGS gets.

Accessibility features are absolutely something launchers should be criticised for not having, but it's not at all fair to single out just one of them for literal hatred.

I wouldn't say I'm "Going to bat for Epic", but I am saying that Epic and the EGS do not deserve the reaction they get when everyone else in the market is up to pretty much the same tricks.


I'm afraid Epic has to be singled out for not having features, even if other launchers don't have them, when it's the only option for exclusives. I'm not forced to use single launchers unless for first party support (fair enough really, you never really see complaints of Fortnite being elsewhere for one). I'm not going to like not having access to features simply because a monolithic company wants to grow even larger while giving no strawberry floats about its workers or end user choice.

Enough of those features, even if minor on their own, have added up to make Steam my preferred way to play on PC (though god yeah I wish Big Picture was more stable D:). In particular, dualshock 4 is my controller of choice for the moment and it's a pain to get working with other clients.

I obviously have no intention of emboldening any especially hideous remarks coming out of the whole mess, of course deeply personal insults and harassment are never okay and I hate that there's been many of them, especially aimed at smaller developers...regardless, I don't think people being very critical of a large conglomerate encoraching a marketplace monopolistically and taking away user choice is unreasonable.


But Steam is the only option for some exclusives. Origin is the only option for some exclusives. uPlay is the only option for some exclusives. Battle.Net is the only option for every single title on it. So the argument that "Epic has to be singled out because it's the only option for exclusives" doesn't hold water at all. You either have to level the same criticisms at every launcher where they're valid (Aka virtually all of them), or not at all. You can't just go "Well yeah Origin doesn't have a Big Picture mode or support Dual Shock 4, but Epic Game Store is the one we should all strawberry floating hate because it's strawberry floating scum!!!!!111"

I don't really agree you can say "Epic are taking away user choice" when if they weren't around the titles would likely just end up as Steam exclusives. Where's the user choice in that scenario? Yet nobody was complaining about that before EGS came along.


Like I said, that's for first party exclusives. In all the cases of these Epic exclusives, they were games that were otherwise coming out and near to completion. People have miscredited them for bringing stuff like the Quantic Dream games to PC for instance but those were happening anyway. And none of these games would end up as Steam exclusives because Valve doesn't pursue that, these always end up on GOG and such unless the publisher themselves doesn't bother.

First party exclusives aren't ideal but they're far less egregious than games that actually had a chance to be everywhere before Epic sniped them for their own gain. It's a big enough difference, I get that the games wouldn't likely exist without their funding source, similar to how I wish Bayonetta 2 was everwhere but I get it wouldn't have happened without Nintendo. I'm not massively keen on using the other launchers but accept it more in those cases, and at least Origin and Uplay are far better then EGL. Even if, as I say, I wish controller support was better.

Also, maybe it's because I have less patience these days because of lifelong depression and my dad hanging himself in the garage recently, but:

You can't just go "Well yeah Origin doesn't have a Big Picture mode or support Dual Shock 4, but Epic Game Store is the one we should all strawberry floating hate because it's strawberry floating scum!!!!!111"


strawberry float off with that, okay? :) I don't appreciate being mischaracterised as some raving lunatic, cheers. I've not raised my tone in a similar manner regarding you to this point so I don't appreciate it in turn.

User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: NeoGAF owner accused of sexual assault - spin-off site Resetera launched
by Lagamorph » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:58 pm

Jazzem wrote:
Lagamorph wrote:
Jazzem wrote:
Lagamorph wrote:When it comes to features, what features does EGS really lack that Steam has?
Big Picture Mode - Whilst this is useful, it's far from stable on Steam. And other launches also don't have anything like this. Don't single out EGS for not having it.
Chat features - What would be the point? If Epic went to the time and effort of making an equivalent of Steam chat, would people really use it when there are services like Discord already available and massively used? I don't see the point in spending time and money developing a feature that only a tiny portion of the userbase will ever bother with and that isn't a necessity like accessibility features are.
Cloud Saves - EGS is making progress on this from what I gather. And again, Origin is pretty poor at Cloud Saves sometimes, with only some games seeming to support them.
Linux Support - I don't think "EGS doesn't support Linux" is a very valid criticism unless you're also going to level the same criticism at pretty much every other launcher out there.
Achievements - Would definitely be nice to have, but a lack of an achievement system is again not a reason to level the pure hatred EGS gets at it. I don't see people foaming at the mouth to call Nintendo scum because the Switch doesn't have an Achievement/Trophy system.

I don't see Origin, uPlay or Battle.net Supporting Linux, nor do I see them having many of the features Steam has. Yet those platforms don't get the vitriol that EGS gets.

Accessibility features are absolutely something launchers should be criticised for not having, but it's not at all fair to single out just one of them for literal hatred.

I wouldn't say I'm "Going to bat for Epic", but I am saying that Epic and the EGS do not deserve the reaction they get when everyone else in the market is up to pretty much the same tricks.


I'm afraid Epic has to be singled out for not having features, even if other launchers don't have them, when it's the only option for exclusives. I'm not forced to use single launchers unless for first party support (fair enough really, you never really see complaints of Fortnite being elsewhere for one). I'm not going to like not having access to features simply because a monolithic company wants to grow even larger while giving no strawberry floats about its workers or end user choice.

Enough of those features, even if minor on their own, have added up to make Steam my preferred way to play on PC (though god yeah I wish Big Picture was more stable D:). In particular, dualshock 4 is my controller of choice for the moment and it's a pain to get working with other clients.

I obviously have no intention of emboldening any especially hideous remarks coming out of the whole mess, of course deeply personal insults and harassment are never okay and I hate that there's been many of them, especially aimed at smaller developers...regardless, I don't think people being very critical of a large conglomerate encoraching a marketplace monopolistically and taking away user choice is unreasonable.


But Steam is the only option for some exclusives. Origin is the only option for some exclusives. uPlay is the only option for some exclusives. Battle.Net is the only option for every single title on it. So the argument that "Epic has to be singled out because it's the only option for exclusives" doesn't hold water at all. You either have to level the same criticisms at every launcher where they're valid (Aka virtually all of them), or not at all. You can't just go "Well yeah Origin doesn't have a Big Picture mode or support Dual Shock 4, but Epic Game Store is the one we should all strawberry floating hate because it's strawberry floating scum!!!!!111"

I don't really agree you can say "Epic are taking away user choice" when if they weren't around the titles would likely just end up as Steam exclusives. Where's the user choice in that scenario? Yet nobody was complaining about that before EGS came along.


Like I said, that's for first party exclusives. In all the cases of these Epic exclusives, they were games that were otherwise coming out and near to completion. People have miscredited them for bringing stuff like the Quantic Dream games to PC for instance but those were happening anyway. And none of these games would end up as Steam exclusives because Valve doesn't pursue that, these always end up on GOG and such unless the publisher themselves doesn't bother.

First party exclusives aren't ideal but they're far less egregious than games that actually had a chance to be everywhere before Epic sniped them for their own gain. It's a big enough difference, I get that the games wouldn't likely exist without their funding source, similar to how I wish Bayonetta 2 was everwhere but I get it wouldn't have happened without Nintendo. I'm not massively keen on using the other launchers but accept it more in those cases, and at least Origin and Uplay are far better then EGL. Even if, as I say, I wish controller support was better.

Also, maybe it's because I have less patience these days because of lifelong depression and my dad hanging himself in the garage recently, but:

You can't just go "Well yeah Origin doesn't have a Big Picture mode or support Dual Shock 4, but Epic Game Store is the one we should all strawberry floating hate because it's strawberry floating scum!!!!!111"


strawberry float off with that, okay? :) I don't appreciate being mischaracterised as some raving lunatic, cheers. I've not raised my tone in a similar manner regarding you to this point so I don't appreciate it in turn.

Apologies if that came off as directed at you, it was more a general observation of the toxic reaction that the EGS gets in general and not something aimed at any one person in particular, especially not you or indeed anyone on this forum.

Like you say, some publishers never bother with bringing their games to a PC platform beyond Steam, but ultimately that just leads to the same end result as EGS paying for exclusivity (And in most cases, this exclusivity is only timed for 1 year, not perpetual), except Valve just get it by default by virtue of being the biggest game in town (Or for a very long time the only game in town) rather than shelling out any money for it (and they never had to until now). That's been the case for years and nobody really made a fuss about it before.


Qikz wrote:My problem with EGS is it completely negates the benefit of PC (buy anywhere play anywhere). You can't buy EGS anywhere else outside of EGS so you can't get good deals.

This isn't always the case with Steam though either. There are plenty of games on Steam that you can't buy anywhere except directly through Steam itself. A recent example of this is Kill la Kill IF. Even official Steam resellers like Gamersgate and GreenManGaming sell keys for that, so if you want the PC version your only option is to buy it directly via Steam.

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
jiggles
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: pyxl-8

PostRe: NeoGAF owner accused of sexual assault - spin-off site Resetera launched
by jiggles » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:44 am

The only way to bust Steam's monopoly on PC gaming is to give people a reason to use something else. Steam just passively accrues a lot of exclusive games simply because of the size of its userbase.

Why would players buy games on EGS if all the games are on Steam?
Why would developers and publishers choose to sell their games only on EGS if players only use Steam?

Epic provide two good reasons for players to use their launcher:
1. You get at least one free game to keep every single week.
2. Is the only place to play the best games of 2018 (Tetris Effect) and 2019 (Outer Wilds) on PC.

Both of these points are only because they do deals with publishers for money, who obviously wouldn't do so otherwise.

They are playing catch-up in their offering of features for sure, which I would attribute to them pivoting into this at short notice. Fortnite's overnight success in FY2018 gave Epic a war chest, entirely by surprise, to take a real swing at Valve this financial year.

And hopefully this gets Valve to wake the strawberry float up and stop being so utterly complacent. The Steam UI is a Frankenstein's monster of UI elements from entirely different themes and released a decade apart, they have thrown curation out the window entirely because it's *checks notes* "too hard and resource intensive" for one of the most obscenely rich companies in PC gaming, and they have utterly abandoned creating the kinds of games that earned them the reputation for being the premier developer of single-player, story-rich PC games in favor of anything that they can sell loot boxes for.

Streaming: Twitch | Tweeting: Twitter
User avatar
Saint of Killers
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: NeoGAF owner accused of sexual assault - spin-off site Resetera launched
by Saint of Killers » Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:38 am

My only issue with EGS is with the devs who promised Steam keys in Kickstarters and then fudged on that promise after selling exclusivity. That and so many basic features lacking in their store. (Lack of search bar, shopping basket, etc.) Though that I find funny af more than anything else.

| (•_•)| S: This is the best date I've been on since my last date. PB: This is not a date.
S: Neither was the last one. It was a robbery. M: Really? S: Yeah. She stole my heart. And my crown. (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
User avatar
Vermilion
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: Everywhere
Contact:

PostRe: NeoGAF owner accused of sexual assault - spin-off site Resetera launched
by Vermilion » Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:52 am

All this nonsense is yet another reason why i only play games on consoles.

User avatar
Saint of Killers
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: NeoGAF owner accused of sexual assault - spin-off site Resetera launched
by Saint of Killers » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:18 am

PC is a good option to have for games which launch on PC and consoles you don't own.

| (•_•)| S: This is the best date I've been on since my last date. PB: This is not a date.
S: Neither was the last one. It was a robbery. M: Really? S: Yeah. She stole my heart. And my crown. (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: NeoGAF owner accused of sexual assault - spin-off site Resetera launched
by Tafdolphin » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:20 am

Vermilion wrote:All this nonsense is yet another reason why i only play games on consoles.


Whose entire business model is based around... exclusives. Ok.

EGS is another launcher. It's currently lacking in features, like the Ubi and EA launchers, and crucially it isn't Steam.

That's about the gist of it.

Gemini73 wrote:You really are just an obnoxious little toad.

Night Call: a game what I worked on. Out now!
t: @Tafdolphin | Twitch: Tafdolphin
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: NeoGAF owner accused of sexual assault - spin-off site Resetera launched
by Moggy » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:31 am

Tafdolphin wrote:Moaning about EGS is the worst. It's just so strawberry floating boring.


This evidence of this page suggests that Taf was spot on with this post.

User avatar
Vermilion
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: Everywhere
Contact:

PostRe: NeoGAF owner accused of sexual assault - spin-off site Resetera launched
by Vermilion » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:34 pm

Tafdolphin wrote:
Vermilion wrote:All this nonsense is yet another reason why i only play games on consoles.


Whose entire business model is based around... exclusives. Ok.


Meh, i can't remember the last time i bought an exclusive anyways.

User avatar
Green Gecko
Treasurer
Joined in 2008
Location: Sussex
Contact:

PostRe: NeoGAF owner accused of sexual assault - spin-off site Resetera launched
by Green Gecko » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:31 am

For what's it's worth, as a bit of a casual PC gamer these days, I do have issues playing Subnautica through EGS because it doesn't properly support DualShock 4 in the way that Steam does by treating it as a Steam Controller. So the controller mapping is pretty poor and erratic in some situations because it depends on the application rather than providing an abstraction layer. Whereas even though a game like Elite Dangerous launches through it's own DRM/launcher thingy (signed into Frontier Account), it hooks into Steam for controller configuration.

I think to get the same thing on EGS I have to install a Xinput emulator which is something I can't be arsed doing when Steam considers a variety of setups rather than depending on Microsoft's old API (even if it builds on that or however it works). The way Valve have worked to support a variety of controllers rather than just the 360/XBO pad like the Switch Pro controller as well is a good example of trying to incorporate a range of set ups into one platform.

While it's bad having a monopoly, Steam is relatively good software that does its thing, even though navigating it can feel like a chore these days. Even we have multiple "launchers" they are never going to have consistent functionality, and with native controller support or full screen game libraries and modern PC stuff like that kind of bad or non-existent across the operating systems I think it's good for there to be a consistent experience, whereas that isn't possible with multiple "launchers" trying to out-do each other. That makes things less convenient and you're back to CDs and weird drivers and package installers and gooseberry fool in big box PC games, basically undermining the whole idea of a unified "PC" experience. Microsoft tried to do it, twice, but their solutions failed for whatever reason. If UGS ends up being a slightly better looking version of Steam then I guess that's fine but it's obviously a commercial interest at heart. It would be better to see something like GOG grow with DRM-free options than Epic just throwing money at the monopoly problem. I guess it's not possible for PC to have consistent user experience without the OS throwing their weight behind it, but for quite a long time now (bearing in mind it's been almost 15 years) Steam did do that and so it's understandable why users would get upset if they don't have the option of using the management tool they want.

You can however still add "non-Steam" games, but it doesn't always work. Subnautica for example will not launch this way. It would be fine if you could download the game and just install it like CD and forget about the bloatware, but it's this idea of exclusives on a platform that traditionally doesn't have such things which is more of an anti-consumer thing, and ultimately it's all down to DRM and profitability. I also have all of these launchers set not to launch on startup because there must be 4 or 5 of them now at least (Origin, GOG, Steam, EGL, uPlay)

I mean, couldn't you just buy your game key from anywhere and have it validate with a third party server or the dev's website and then manage your games with whatever the strawberry float you want? The problem is with trying to hoover up all of these aspects, but nobody doing it particularly well. That's because there's a lack of open formats and APIs and such to let the community build things that do things the way they like. It's all too much gatekeeping and payment processing fee / profit-share / brand reach hoovering.

♥ gaems | t: @GRcade | FB: GRcadeUK | YT: GRcadeVideo | Twitch: GRcadeUK
Image
Image

Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Cuttooth, Denster, Dig Dug, Dowbocop, Errkal, Godzilla, Monkey Man, Oblomov Boblomov, PaperMacheMario, Peter Crisp, Trelliz and 45 guests