NeoGAF owner accused of sexual assault - spin-off site Resetera launched

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Karl_
Nyaaaaaaa~!
Nyaaaaaaa~!
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: NeoGAF owner accused of sexual assault - spin-off site Resetera launched
by Karl_ » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:34 am

Jenu-All I Want For Christmas wrote:Not saying that we should be up in arms about it or that everyone who speaks about it in public like in this example should be banged up, but it is an odd little sphere of society for being overlooked. I've been trying to think of another example where people do something that is obviously "wrong" and don't really care or see anyone else care about it but I don't think I can come up with anything!

Drugs? (Like, whatever your personal view on them, I doubt you'd be reporting a mate for it.) Minor parking offences?

I think it's basically stuff that doesn't really affect anyone else. Like piracy, it's stuff that either arguably shouldn't be illegal, or should have more nuanced enforcement, anyway.

User avatar
Mr. Mystery Garth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008
Location: Norn Iron

PostRe: NeoGAF owner accused of sexual assault - spin-off site Resetera launched
by Mr. Mystery Garth » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:44 am

We weren't supposed to record music off the radio to cassette tapes, or copy CDs, but plenty of people did that too.

Just another GRcadian who saw too many Christmas movies as a child. Another orphan of a bankrupt culture who thinks he's John McClane.
User avatar
Merry Christmous Everyone
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: NeoGAF owner accused of sexual assault - spin-off site Resetera launched
by Merry Christmous Everyone » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:46 am

You're not meant to share your Netflix account behind your household either and loads of people do that.

Image
User avatar
Festivus Maximus
Skeletor
Joined in 2009
AKA: Preezy

PostRe: NeoGAF owner accused of sexual assault - spin-off site Resetera launched
by Festivus Maximus » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:47 am

I cross the road wherever the strawberry float I want, police be damned!

User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: NeoGAF owner accused of sexual assault - spin-off site Resetera launched
by KK » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:47 am

Just so happened they were filming a fly on the wall documentary in his office at the time...



You weren't supposed to record stuff onto VHS either and then give them to friends and family but everyone did that back in the day.

Image
User avatar
Jenu-All I Want For Christmas
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Jenuall
Location: 40 light-years outside of the buttermilk nebula

PostRe: NeoGAF owner accused of sexual assault - spin-off site Resetera launched
by Jenu-All I Want For Christmas » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:47 am

Karl_ wrote:
Jenu-All I Want For Christmas wrote:Not saying that we should be up in arms about it or that everyone who speaks about it in public like in this example should be banged up, but it is an odd little sphere of society for being overlooked. I've been trying to think of another example where people do something that is obviously "wrong" and don't really care or see anyone else care about it but I don't think I can come up with anything!

Drugs? (Like, whatever your personal view on them, I doubt you'd be reporting a mate for it.) Minor parking offences?

I think it's basically stuff that doesn't really affect anyone else. Like piracy, it's stuff that either arguably shouldn't be illegal, or should have more nuanced enforcement, anyway.

Parking yes, but drugs I don't think is the same category at all. Taking the situation from the Era thread someone would be far less likely to talk about drug use in that context and if they did then there's is a much greater chance that they would be brought up on it.

But broadly yeah I think it comes down to an internal estimation of how much does it really effect anyone if these "crimes" are being committed.

Image
User avatar
Karl_
Nyaaaaaaa~!
Nyaaaaaaa~!
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: NeoGAF owner accused of sexual assault - spin-off site Resetera launched
by Karl_ » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:50 am

YMMV I guess. I had a colleague that was pretty open about being a stoner, including in front of bosses etc., and no-one cared. It was a start-up though so maybe culturally a bit different!

User avatar
Merry Christmous Everyone
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: NeoGAF owner accused of sexual assault - spin-off site Resetera launched
by Merry Christmous Everyone » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:55 am

Yeah, it's all about the culture in that context.

I've been in jobs where you'd get sacked for that and others where people would talk about it quite openly.

Image
User avatar
Jenu-All I Want For Christmas
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Jenuall
Location: 40 light-years outside of the buttermilk nebula

PostRe: NeoGAF owner accused of sexual assault - spin-off site Resetera launched
by Jenu-All I Want For Christmas » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:14 pm

That's true, and obviously there's a difference between revealing a penchant for the odd innocent toke to some co-workers compared to sitting in the AGM for your company and telling everyone you're a coke addict.

Image
User avatar
Rocsteady
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: NeoGAF owner accused of sexual assault - spin-off site Resetera launched
by Rocsteady » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:21 pm

Festivus Maximus wrote:
I literally said out loud “Dude, did you just admit to a crime?”

https://www.resetera.com/threads/um-is-it-normal-for-someone-to-casually-admit-to-pirating-stuff.156559/
I was at a work meeting about 50 minutes ago, and during the lead up into it we were all talking about how our Thanksgiving break went. We talked about traveling and activities, and I brought up how I basically spent the entire break playing DQXI on the Switch.

Then, one of my co-workers said “Oh, that game? Yeah, I pirated it last year, but it was so buggy that I didn’t get far.”

And I was so flabbergasted. I literally said out loud “Dude, did you just admit to a crime?” This was at work, with everyone in the room clearly hearing him, including his superiors.

And he then just brushed it off like it was no big deal. I simply couldn’t believe how brazen that was.

I could understand opening up about this sort of stuff among friends, but at work? Honestly, I doubt he’d be reprimanded in any way, but good lord.

I’m not overreacting here, am I?

Some people are just too sheltered for their own good :lol:

Snitches be bitches

Image
User avatar
Festivus Maximus
Skeletor
Joined in 2009
AKA: Preezy

PostRe: NeoGAF owner accused of sexual assault - spin-off site Resetera launched
by Festivus Maximus » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:40 pm

Jenu-All I Want For Christmas wrote:That's true, and obviously there's a difference between revealing a penchant for the odd innocent toke to some co-workers compared to sitting in the AGM for your company and telling everyone you're a coke addict.

Nothing innocent about illegal drug use, son :capnscotty:

User avatar
Jenu-All I Want For Christmas
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Jenuall
Location: 40 light-years outside of the buttermilk nebula

PostRe: NeoGAF owner accused of sexual assault - spin-off site Resetera launched
by Jenu-All I Want For Christmas » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:46 pm

Festivus Maximus wrote:
Jenu-All I Want For Christmas wrote:That's true, and obviously there's a difference between revealing a penchant for the odd innocent toke to some co-workers compared to sitting in the AGM for your company and telling everyone you're a coke addict.

Nothing innocent about illegal drug use, son :capnscotty:

Whoa, you need to chill out man.

No need to kill the buzz dude, just take it easy. 8-)

Image
User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: NeoGAF owner accused of sexual assault - spin-off site Resetera launched
by Lagamorph » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:57 pm

Jenu-All I Want For Christmas wrote:
Festivus Maximus wrote:
Jenu-All I Want For Christmas wrote:That's true, and obviously there's a difference between revealing a penchant for the odd innocent toke to some co-workers compared to sitting in the AGM for your company and telling everyone you're a coke addict.

Nothing innocent about illegal drug use, son :capnscotty:

Whoa, you need to chill out man.

No need to kill the buzz dude, just take it easy. 8-)

By taking a few illegal tranquilizers

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Hexx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: NeoGAF owner accused of sexual assault - spin-off site Resetera launched
by Hexx » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:58 pm

Jenny's a druggie? :(

User avatar
Jenu-All I Want For Christmas
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Jenuall
Location: 40 light-years outside of the buttermilk nebula

PostRe: NeoGAF owner accused of sexual assault - spin-off site Resetera launched
by Jenu-All I Want For Christmas » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:01 pm

Nah, I've never even smoked a ciggie to be honest.

Only punishment I give my body is the copious amount of Pepsi Max I imbibe! :P

Image
User avatar
Albear
Moderator
Joined in 2008

PostRe: NeoGAF owner accused of sexual assault - spin-off site Resetera launched
by Albear » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:02 pm


User avatar
Partridge Iciclebubbles
"Special"
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

PostRe: NeoGAF owner accused of sexual assault - spin-off site Resetera launched
by Partridge Iciclebubbles » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:20 pm

Jenu-All I Want For Christmas wrote:To be somewhat fair to this person it does still feel slightly strange that in the modern age we generally just don't give a gooseberry fool about low level video/music piracy.


Have people ever given a gooseberry fool?

Image
User avatar
Jenu-All I Want For Christmas
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Jenuall
Location: 40 light-years outside of the buttermilk nebula

PostRe: NeoGAF owner accused of sexual assault - spin-off site Resetera launched
by Jenu-All I Want For Christmas » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:29 pm

Partridge Iciclebubbles wrote:
Jenu-All I Want For Christmas wrote:To be somewhat fair to this person it does still feel slightly strange that in the modern age we generally just don't give a gooseberry fool about low level video/music piracy.


Have people ever given a gooseberry fool?

Well it's hard to tell I guess. The modern form of music and video piracy is online with no obvious or direct "victim" and nobody is (directly at least) profiting from it. Which is a different situation to knock off and bootleg tapes/CDs/DVDs that you might have got back in the day.

I do recall that the trade of knock off movies and the like in the 80s/90s was a bit more frowned upon than the current online situation, but it's probably fair to say that few people every really gave a gooseberry fool.

Image
User avatar
Partridge Iciclebubbles
"Special"
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

PostRe: NeoGAF owner accused of sexual assault - spin-off site Resetera launched
by Partridge Iciclebubbles » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:42 pm

Jenu-All I Want For Christmas wrote:
Partridge Iciclebubbles wrote:
Jenu-All I Want For Christmas wrote:To be somewhat fair to this person it does still feel slightly strange that in the modern age we generally just don't give a gooseberry fool about low level video/music piracy.


Have people ever given a gooseberry fool?

Well it's hard to tell I guess. The modern form of music and video piracy is online with no obvious or direct "victim" and nobody is (directly at least) profiting from it. Which is a different situation to knock off and bootleg tapes/CDs/DVDs that you might have got back in the day.

I do recall that the trade of knock off movies and the like in the 80s/90s was a bit more frowned upon than the current online situation, but it's probably fair to say that few people every really gave a gooseberry fool.


I remember pirate videos, games and music cassettes in the 80s/90s and nobody gave a gooseberry fool.

I guess now it is easier and far more stuff gets pirated, but I don’t think anybody cares other than media bosses and pearl clutchers.

Image
User avatar
A Beautiful Kezmas Tree
Member
Joined in 2012
AKA: Moggy

PostRe: NeoGAF owner accused of sexual assault - spin-off site Resetera launched
by A Beautiful Kezmas Tree » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:42 pm

Image

Image

Check out the Digital Combat Simulator thread for some hardcore aerial combat! | Mumble | PCGT V | The Photography Thread

http://i.imgur.com/0CQJqX4.png/http://i.imgur.com/0uDHhZZ.png/http://i.imgur.com/lkf2GrO.png

Return to “Stuff”