Last Game You Finished and Your Rating

Anything to do with games at all.
User avatar
Godzilla
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last Game You Finished and Your Rating
by Godzilla » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:56 pm

Kirby Star Allies - Switch - finally got around to finishing the main game. It then unlocks a huge amount more content.

Brilliant game with a lot of charm, as is the Kirby way the game starts off charming and easy going. By the end it's a battle for survival against countless huge bosses.

Wish my image sig would work
User avatar
Clarkman
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last Game You Finished and Your Rating
by Clarkman » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:08 pm

Wide Ocean Big Jacket - 5/10

Cute little ephemeral interactive story. Priced about right in the current eShop sale at £3. Not life changing, but pretty and cute.

User avatar
Buffalo
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last Game You Finished and Your Rating
by Buffalo » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:37 pm

No disrespect to the guy who’s calling TLoU’s gameplay clunky, but I’ve replayed it and it’s anything but, despite it being from 2013. And those crying about Uncharted being a crap cover shooter are just crap at the game, I’m sorry - replayed all of those recently and the ‘cover’ aspect, the ‘shooter’ aspect, are all perfectly fine.

User avatar
Edd
Member
Joined in 2015
Contact:

PostRe: Last Game You Finished and Your Rating
by Edd » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:46 pm

Always thought TLoU was almost intentionally 'clunky', especially compared to the run and gun type shooting in Uncharted.

They're completely different anyway. TLoU is probably best played, or gives the best experience, on the hardest difficulties when ammo and resources are scarce while Uncharted is at its most fun on Easy.

Image
User avatar
JT986M2
Member
Joined in 2020
Location: Scotland

PostRe: Last Game You Finished and Your Rating
by JT986M2 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:28 am

Buffalo wrote:No disrespect to the guy who’s calling TLoU’s gameplay clunky, but I’ve replayed it and it’s anything but, despite it being from 2013. And those crying about Uncharted being a crap cover shooter are just crap at the game, I’m sorry - replayed all of those recently and the ‘cover’ aspect, the ‘shooter’ aspect, are all perfectly fine.


Most people have played through these recently because of the Nathan Drake Collection. If you read the guys original message he is not just dismissing them as a crap cover shooter. He is pointing out distinct flaws that have previously been documented for the Uncharted games:

- The number of bullets it takes to kill enemies can be ridiculous for a 'realistic' setting
- The difficulty is defined by reducing the availability of ammo and making enemies super-human bullet sponges
- In some sections wave after wave of enemies appear out of nowhere which, added to the issues above, makes some sections quite tedious

That was what I was agreeing on - i.e. the combat does the job, but it's far from perfect. They are great games, but I am saying such gameplay flaws make the Naughty Dog games over-hyped (to me) because they seem to consistently prioritise story over the gameplay. To be fair they aren't so much flaws as dated gameplay concepts, and although combat was a bit better in 3 and 4 (iirc) the same issues were still present.

However, it's an opinion and people can like or dislike games for different reasons. Also, just because people find flaws with the gameplay doesn't mean they are automatically crap at the game.

User avatar
OrangeRKN
SONM & Cake Sec.
SONM & Cake Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: Last Game You Finished and Your Rating
by OrangeRKN » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:49 am

The golden rule to ensure Uncharted shooting stays fun is to always swap for better weapons at every opportunity. Sure the Desert-5 or whatever never comes with much ammo so it can feel "wrong" to swap your fully-stocked assault rifle for it when rifle ammo is plentiful, but those weapons are definitely the antidote to bullet sponges. They also generally just feel better to use.

Image
Image
orkn.uk - SW-6533-2461-3235 - @OrangeRakoon - ACNH Howdyfern
User avatar
Fruits Punch Samurai
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Oswaldtwistle
Contact:

PostRe: Last Game You Finished and Your Rating
by Fruits Punch Samurai » Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:54 pm

Celeste 9/10 - My thumbs are incredibly sore after playing through this over the last few weeks. It's incredibly satisfying to overcome a screen that's been giving you hell, and I even made it through the B and C side challenge levels. I did use assist mode during chapter 9 however. I felt the extra download content was tailored more towards speed runners than myself, with a focus on consecutively being able to perform advanced button combinations that weren't required anywhere else. One of the best indie platform games I've played in quite some time.

User avatar
imbusydoctorwho
Member
Joined in 2018

PostRe: Last Game You Finished and Your Rating
by imbusydoctorwho » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:22 pm

Star Wars Force Unleashed DS Version 6/10
Absolutely loved this game on the Wii and this version is pretty scaled back but it does have an interesting touch screen combat but it's even shorter than the Wii game.

Image
User avatar
Zilnad
Member
Joined in 2019

PostRe: Last Game You Finished and Your Rating
by Zilnad » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:31 pm

Rise of the Tomb Raider

I absolutely loved it so I'll definitely be picking up Shadow next time it's on sale. I've not enjoyed a collectable heavy game in a while, apart from Spider-Man, but spending time getting 100% in the first few areas of Tomb Raider really scratched an itch that I didn't realise was there. I think it helped with my current mental state to just do something pleasingly repetitive so I've bought myself Far Cry 5 this morning to capitalise on that mood.

I almost redownloaded Mad Max to play as I never finished it the first time round. Kind of wish I had downloaded it now as cars and fighting are cool but I'll see how I get on with Far Cry and maybe ditch it for Mad Max if it doesn't grab me.

User avatar
OrangeRKN
SONM & Cake Sec.
SONM & Cake Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: Last Game You Finished and Your Rating
by OrangeRKN » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:57 pm

Fruits Punch Samurai wrote:Celeste 9/10 - My thumbs are incredibly sore after playing through this over the last few weeks. It's incredibly satisfying to overcome a screen that's been giving you hell, and I even made it through the B and C side challenge levels. I did use assist mode during chapter 9 however. I felt the extra download content was tailored more towards speed runners than myself, with a focus on consecutively being able to perform advanced button combinations that weren't required anywhere else. One of the best indie platform games I've played in quite some time.


:wub:

Another convert to the church

Image
Image
orkn.uk - SW-6533-2461-3235 - @OrangeRakoon - ACNH Howdyfern
User avatar
kazanova_Frankenstein
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last Game You Finished and Your Rating
by kazanova_Frankenstein » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:56 am

Observation (Game Pass).

An interesting sci-fi puzzle / walking simulator where you control the ship AI. I really liked the interfaces etc that you are presented with - it all felt a bit like the computers you see in "Alien", and the ambiance and atmosphere was excellent. Puzzles were at the right level for me (never tricky enough to consider looking stuff up, just simple dot to dot kind of stuff), but the way it was integrated in the environment made it feel a lot more interactive.

I did find myself getting lost a few times, this can be somewhat addressed by setting waypoints (though even those were not particularly clear), but the external bits (essentially spacewalks) were very confusing to me. I got there in the end, but i think it was more luck than judgement. Controls were a bit finicky, with monitor panning too slow but sphere control a bit twitchy.

Graphics were occasionally stunning to me (the grainy monitor footage etc), and at other times looked a bit low rent. Never spoiled the atmosphere for me though.

A good fun 7 hour or so game which felt refreshing. ideal for Game Pass.

7.

Image
Image
User avatar
Skarjo
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last Game You Finished and Your Rating
by Skarjo » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:48 pm

Just finished Blair Witch and it's such a mixed bag. Some of the most effective horror I've played in a while but some of the most skull-crushingly boring and mishmashed gameplay I've ever played. I did finish it, which is something, but only because it does pick up *somewhat* in the last hour or so, but then goes from 'technically a game' to 'Dear Esther but with instakill demons sometimes'.

And then, strawberry floating hell, I got the 'Bad Ending' and then looked up what the 'Good Ending' needed and it's literally just an excuse to make you play the game again to satisfy the completely ridiculous, illogical and unintuitive criteria to earn it. I played this on GamePass so I don't know whether it was a full price release, but I have a horrible feeling that they knew this was a 6 hour game and if they can find a reason to make you play it twice then, hey, that's 12 hours of play right? That's worth thirty quid.

It's not dreadful, but it's not great. The film camera mechanism is actually really well implemented, and the dog mechanic is also really cool, and there's genuine moments that are really effective. And it's only 6 hours or so, so at a punt for free I don't regret playing it. But if I'd have actually spent more than a fiver, maybe a tenner at Halloween, I'd be fuming.

Karl wrote:Can't believe I got baited into expressing a political stance on hentai

Skarjo's Scary Stories...
User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Last Game You Finished and Your Rating
by Tomous » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:49 pm

kazanova_Frankenstein wrote:Observation (Game Pass).

An interesting sci-fi puzzle / walking simulator where you control the ship AI. I really liked the interfaces etc that you are presented with - it all felt a bit like the computers you see in "Alien", and the ambiance and atmosphere was excellent. Puzzles were at the right level for me (never tricky enough to consider looking stuff up, just simple dot to dot kind of stuff), but the way it was integrated in the environment made it feel a lot more interactive.

I did find myself getting lost a few times, this can be somewhat addressed by setting waypoints (though even those were not particularly clear), but the external bits (essentially spacewalks) were very confusing to me. I got there in the end, but i think it was more luck than judgement. Controls were a bit finicky, with monitor panning too slow but sphere control a bit twitchy.

Graphics were occasionally stunning to me (the grainy monitor footage etc), and at other times looked a bit low rent. Never spoiled the atmosphere for me though.

A good fun 7 hour or so game which felt refreshing. ideal for Game Pass.

7.


This is on my list to check out for awhile. What is the story like? Without giving too much away?

Image
User avatar
kazanova_Frankenstein
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last Game You Finished and Your Rating
by kazanova_Frankenstein » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:09 pm

Tomous wrote:
kazanova_Frankenstein wrote:Observation (Game Pass).

An interesting sci-fi puzzle / walking simulator where you control the ship AI. I really liked the interfaces etc that you are presented with - it all felt a bit like the computers you see in "Alien", and the ambiance and atmosphere was excellent. Puzzles were at the right level for me (never tricky enough to consider looking stuff up, just simple dot to dot kind of stuff), but the way it was integrated in the environment made it feel a lot more interactive.

I did find myself getting lost a few times, this can be somewhat addressed by setting waypoints (though even those were not particularly clear), but the external bits (essentially spacewalks) were very confusing to me. I got there in the end, but i think it was more luck than judgement. Controls were a bit finicky, with monitor panning too slow but sphere control a bit twitchy.

Graphics were occasionally stunning to me (the grainy monitor footage etc), and at other times looked a bit low rent. Never spoiled the atmosphere for me though.

A good fun 7 hour or so game which felt refreshing. ideal for Game Pass.

7.


This is on my list to check out for awhile. What is the story like? Without giving too much away?


You cant give away what you don't understand.... i read an explanation and still did not get it. But i was still able to enjoy it. Fairly hard sci-fi i would say.

Image
Image
User avatar
Corazon de Leon
Doctor ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Deadpool / sntaa

PostRe: Last Game You Finished and Your Rating
by Corazon de Leon » Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:26 pm

Gone back to Halo: Reach for the first time since about a month after it came out and am actually really enjoying it. About halfway through the campaign on Legendary and haven't come across anything that's taken more than a couple of retries to get past, and starting to remember that I used to be quite good at Halo games. :wub:

Image
User avatar
Ironhide
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Autobot City

PostRe: Last Game You Finished and Your Rating
by Ironhide » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:10 am

Stranded Sails: Explorers of the Cursed Islands - 7/10

Mini review I posted on Steam

While a little on the easy side and a little lacking in content I can't help liking this charming little gem of a game, the graphics are chunky and bright with an almost cel shaded look reminiscent of The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker'/Minish Cap and the music cheerful and relaxing.

I'd recommend it as something to play in short bursts rather than prolonged sessions as aside from the farming, crafting and exploring, the main quest is rather short and there doesn't appears to be any sidequests.

Also I must mention how helpful the game devs are in answering any questions about the game posted on the Steam forums, they seem genuinely interested in the players opinion of the game and how they can improve it.

Image
User avatar
Zilnad
Member
Joined in 2019

PostRe: Last Game You Finished and Your Rating
by Zilnad » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:54 pm

Rise of the Tomb Raider: Blood Ties DLC

I really loved this little bit of story DLC. The manor was full of little references to the old games, it even referenced Winston being locked in the fridge! And Shadow is now on sale so perfect timing to go straight into the sequel.

Can't wait!

User avatar
kazanova_Frankenstein
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last Game You Finished and Your Rating
by kazanova_Frankenstein » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:25 am

Gears Of War 4 (1X).

A game of two halves for me. The first half felt like the previous Gears games, but with more repetitious environments and less enemy variety than ever before. The wave sections were interesting, but also very frustrating (one in particular). I actually stopped playing the game, my intention being for good, at about the midway point after accidentally mashing the button to try and escape a Snatcher (i don't think this is even a mechanic in the game but you never know), and accidentally selected "Restart Chapter" on the game over screen.

The second half of the game however was fantastic. The environments became far more engaging, with great atmospheric effect, enemy bodies being blown around the vista etc. And the last chapter of the final act was probably the best power fantasy in gaming i can remember. It's been done to varying extents in the franchise before, but this time it felt perfect. The only thing i was not a fan off was the "dodge the lightning" sections, which felt un-intuitive and haphazard.

Hardcore felt like the right difficulty level for me (not a pro gamer). It encouraged you to stay near team mates for revives and focus fire on enemies.

I actually liked the writing, it felt dumb and silly, which is really what i associate with Gears.

So yeah, i had a good time after the slightly rubbish first 5 hours.

7.5

Image
Image
Anderson Jimmy
Member
Joined in 2020

PostRe: Last Game You Finished and Your Rating
by Anderson Jimmy » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:32 am

Hello,
I played last game was The Witcher 3 best best best.

User avatar
Fruits Punch Samurai
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Oswaldtwistle
Contact:

PostRe: Last Game You Finished and Your Rating
by Fruits Punch Samurai » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:45 am

Contra: Rogue Corps 2/10 - Thought this would be a fun enough co-op twin stick shooter, but you can only play five bonus levels in local multiplayer... and the game is bogged down by a loot system that makes every encounter a chore. You can play as a panda though.


Return to “Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: OldSoulCyborg, Photek and 64 guests