Roblox. What is it? Should I let my kids play it?

Anything to do with games at all.
User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Jenuall
Location: 40 light-years outside of the Exeter nebula
Contact:

PostRoblox. What is it? Should I let my kids play it?
by Jenuall » Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:49 am

Can someone give me a quick Roblox rundown?

My 8 year old has been banging on about it but I'm not sure how safe/appropriate it is for kids.

Can it be locked down to stop interacting with randoms?

Image
User avatar
KingK
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Roblox. What is it? Should I let my kids play it?
by KingK » Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:13 pm

I’ve told my kids they’ll never be allowed to play it. Too many stories in the press of it being used by pervs etc

User avatar
aayl1
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Roblox. What is it? Should I let my kids play it?
by aayl1 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:14 pm

Remember when we knew all about the hip new games young people played, because we were they?

:(

Switch Code - 2446-6608-4888
User avatar
rinks
Member
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Aboard the train that goes around the world

PostRe: Roblox. What is it? Should I let my kids play it?
by rinks » Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:20 pm

No, get them to play something good instead.

User avatar
Tsunade
Member
Joined in 2018

PostRe: Roblox. What is it? Should I let my kids play it?
by Tsunade » Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:21 pm

Ella plays it and has done since she was 9. It's a collective of games made by other people. One of the games she seems to love is one where your character gets turned into a cake.

I never let her add "friends" on it unless it was her friends from school or her cousins, which are the only people I let her talk to on it, and she has to tell me if someone is trying to talk to her that she doesn't know.

Image
Image
User avatar
kerr9000
Member
Joined in 2013
Contact:

PostRe: Roblox. What is it? Should I let my kids play it?
by kerr9000 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:00 pm

Tsunade wrote:Ella plays it and has done since she was 9. It's a collective of games made by other people. One of the games she seems to love is one where your character gets turned into a cake.

I never let her add "friends" on it unless it was her friends from school or her cousins, which are the only people I let her talk to on it, and she has to tell me if someone is trying to talk to her that she doesn't know.



My kid is 18 now so plays whatever she wants but this is very very much what I was like with my kid when she was that age... I was going to type a comment in here othering suggestions of how to let a kid play it but not put them at much risk but id just say be like Tsunade shes got it right.

I used to work in a Nursery and youd be amazed how many 4 year olds come in talking about playing call of duty etc

https://www.youtube.com/user/kerr9000 for my YouTube channel. where you can find my Horror House and GamesRoom Reviews[b]I can also be found as kerr9000 on the Xbox, and My Instagram is kerr9000gamesroom and its mostly photos of old games and horror movies.
User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Jenuall
Location: 40 light-years outside of the Exeter nebula
Contact:

PostRe: Roblox. What is it? Should I let my kids play it?
by Jenuall » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:26 pm

Thanks for the replies! I think I'll download it and take a look at what controls it has then take it from there. I'm not massively worried but anything with user generated content and where randos can talk to you seems like a potential minefield!

Image
User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Roblox. What is it? Should I let my kids play it?
by Peter Crisp » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:38 pm

Jenuall wrote:Thanks for the replies! I think I'll download it and take a look at what controls it has then take it from there. I'm not massively worried but anything with user generated content and where randos can talk to you seems like a potential minefield!


It always amazes me when playing R6 siege and you hear people who seem super young start talking via open voice chat.
I think some parents need to be a little more cautious.

jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
User avatar
Yubel
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: Nowhere
Contact:

PostRe: Roblox. What is it? Should I let my kids play it?
by Yubel » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:22 pm

kerr9000 wrote:I used to work in a Nursery and youd be amazed how many 4 year olds come in talking about playing call of duty etc


Image

Image
Image
Youtube - Yubellion

SW-8425-4441-8614
User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Roblox. What is it? Should I let my kids play it?
by Peter Crisp » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:56 pm

I remember when I worked at Wollies and the few times I bothered going anywhere near the shop floor we had people arguing about age restrictions on games.
How dare you not sell my 10 year old son an 18 rated game!!!!!!!!

It was impossible to reason with them and was depressing as hell.

jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.

Return to “Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Frank, Google [Bot], Johnny Jalfrezi and 170 guests