Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4) - State of Play May '19 trailer page 12

Anything to do with games at all.
Gemini73

PostRe: Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4) - State of Play May 19 trailer page 12
by Gemini73 » Fri May 10, 2019 8:42 am

Is it going to be episodic?

User avatar
NickSCFC
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4) - State of Play May 19 trailer page 12
by NickSCFC » Fri May 10, 2019 8:49 am

Gemini73 wrote:Is it going to be episodic?


Yes, Episode Midgar is expected late 2019/early 2020

Bumped the new trailer for new page



Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Last edited by NickSCFC on Fri May 10, 2019 9:04 am, edited 6 times in total.
Image
Image
Gemini73

PostRe: Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4) - State of Play May '19 trailer page 12
by Gemini73 » Fri May 10, 2019 8:52 am

Cheers. I can imagine some not being too happy with the game being episodic but for me I'll be able to fit in each episode between games so I'm good with that.

*edit* Just read that Final Fantasy 7: Remake will not feature turn-based combat. Hmm, not so sure now.

User avatar
Ad7
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4) - State of Play May '19 trailer page 12
by Ad7 » Fri May 10, 2019 9:01 am

Looks amazing, but the fact it's episodic means I won't buy it until I can play the whole thing, which means I won't be able to play it because I'll probably be dead by the time it's finished

User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4) - State of Play May '19 trailer page 12
by Tafdolphin » Fri May 10, 2019 9:14 am

Gemini73 wrote:Cheers. I can imagine some not being too happy with the game being episodic but for me I'll be able to fit in each episode between games so I'm good with that.

*edit* Just read that Final Fantasy 7: Remake will not feature turn-based combat. Hmm, not so sure now.


Yeah it seems to be employing the FFXV combat system which was rubbish. My enthusiasm is somewhat dampened now.

Gemini73 wrote:You really are just an obnoxious little toad.

Yikes
Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on
Gemini73

PostRe: Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4) - State of Play May '19 trailer page 12
by Gemini73 » Fri May 10, 2019 9:18 am

Tafdolphin wrote:
Gemini73 wrote:Cheers. I can imagine some not being too happy with the game being episodic but for me I'll be able to fit in each episode between games so I'm good with that.

*edit* Just read that Final Fantasy 7: Remake will not feature turn-based combat. Hmm, not so sure now.


Yeah it seems to be employing the FFXV combat system which was rubbish. My enthusiasm is somewhat dampened now.


There was a Sterling video 12 month or so back where he demonstrated that some of the most popular RPGs in recent times used turn-based combat which flew in the face of publishers/developers claiming that they weren't popular any more. A case of being told what we want as opposed to giving us what we actually want. A common trend into today's games industry it seems.

User avatar
OldSoulCyborg
Member
Joined in 2010

PostRe: Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4) - State of Play May '19 trailer page 12
by OldSoulCyborg » Fri May 10, 2019 9:41 am

Gemini73 wrote:Cheers. I can imagine some not being too happy with the game being episodic but for me I'll be able to fit in each episode between games so I'm good with that.


Yes, this. Specifically: Episode 1 in-between FF15 and FF16, episode 2 in-between FF19 and FF20, and episode 3 in-between FF24 and FF25.

Flickr
Wii U: StainyGrimes
Gemini73

PostRe: Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4) - State of Play May '19 trailer page 12
by Gemini73 » Fri May 10, 2019 10:33 am

:lol:

User avatar
Dual
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Stool Bloke

PostRe: Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4) - State of Play May '19 trailer page 12
by Dual » Fri May 10, 2019 10:44 am

Ad7 wrote:Looks amazing, but the fact it's episodic means I won't buy it until I can play the whole thing, which means I won't be able to play it because I'll probably be dead by the time it's finished


This is me

User avatar
Lotus
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4) - State of Play May '19 trailer page 12
by Lotus » Fri May 10, 2019 10:47 am

Visually looks great, but I'm still not keen on the battle system and the episodic release. Dread to think how long it'll take for all episodes to be completed.

Image
User avatar
Cheeky Devlin
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: The Dark And Lonely Regions, Where Nobody Goes.
Contact:

PostRe: Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4) - State of Play May '19 trailer page 12
by Cheeky Devlin » Fri May 10, 2019 10:52 am

Lotus wrote:Visually looks great, but I'm still not keen on the battle system and the episodic release. Dread to think how long it'll take for all episodes to be completed.

It'll look amazing on PS6 though. :datass:

Check out some of our stuff!
Image Image Image

JOIN OUR MINECRAFT REALM HERE!
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
User avatar
Ad7
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4) - State of Play May '19 trailer page 12
by Ad7 » Fri May 10, 2019 11:18 am

I'll wait until it's free on plus

User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4) - State of Play May '19 trailer page 12
by Jenuall » Fri May 10, 2019 11:21 am

Have they confirmed it is still episodic recently? Plenty about the development of this remake has me sceptical about what form the final product is actually going to take!

I'm not convinced by what looks like a further doubling down on the "Barret = Mr. T" worldview, he was always meant to have a bit more about him than that. Also Cloud here seems to be in the "broody twat" stage based on his expression and reaction to stuff in the trailer - at this point in the game he should be much more in the "cocky dickhead" phase of his development!

I've not played FFXV so I can't comment on the battle system there but having played things like Xenoblade Chronicles 2 recently and absolutely loving it I have to say I am much more open about a move away from the traditional ATB battle system used in the original FFVII.

Also it does look very nice though I'll give them that!

ImageImage
User avatar
Schumi
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4) - State of Play May '19 trailer page 12
by Schumi » Fri May 10, 2019 11:29 am

My favourite game ever.

Those comparison shots Nick posted are great.

Graphically it looks sublime (bar Barret's sunglasses lol), however the battle system looks garbage based on recent FF games and that video. Probably doesn't help I've zero confidence in Square not strawberry floating this up. :lol:

User avatar
Met
Member
Joined in 2015

PostRe: Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4) - State of Play May '19 trailer page 12
by Met » Fri May 10, 2019 11:41 am

Cloud during the Midgar section was always like that.

Cloud meets AVALANCHE wrote:Biggs
Wow! You used to be in SOLDIER all right! ...Not everyday ya find one in a group like AVALANCHE.

Jessie
SOLDIER? Aren't they the enemy?
What's he doing with us in AVALANCHE?

Biggs
Hold it, Jessie. He WAS in SOLDIER.
He quit them and now is one of us.
Didn't catch your name...

Cloud
...Cloud.

Biggs
Cloud, eh? I'm...

Cloud
I don't care what your names are. Once this job's over... I'm outta here.


Cloud and Barret discuss mako energy wrote:Barret
Little by little the reactors'll drain out all the life. And that'll be that.

Cloud
It's not my problem.

Barret
The planet's dyin', Cloud!

Cloud
The only thing I care about is finishin' this job before security and the Roboguards come.


Other than that the only stuff we really got with Cloud was the Aerith scene which was a dialogue tree in the original

Cloud meets Aerith wrote:Flower Girl
Excuse me.
What happened?

Cloud
- You'd better get out of here
- Nothing... hey, listen...

>You'd better get out of here.

Flower Girl
Really? I don't know what's going on, but all right.

>Nothing... hey, listen...
.........
- Don't see many flowers around here
- Never mind

>Don't see many flowers around here

Flower Girl
Oh, these? Do you like them? They're only a gil...?

Cloud
- Buy one
- Forget it

>Buy one

Flower Girl
Oh, thank you!
Here you are!

>Forget it

Flower Girl
Ahh... not again.

>Never mind

Flower Girl
What! Tell me!
Uh, excuse me, would you like to buy some flowers? They're only one gil.

Cloud
- Buy one
- Forget it

>Buy one

Flower Girl
Oh, thank you!
Here you are!

>Forget it

Flower Girl
Ahh... not again.


Which is hardly much to go on.


It's more towards the end where he's the cocky asshole.

User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4) - State of Play May '19 trailer page 12
by Jenuall » Fri May 10, 2019 11:55 am

Met wrote:Cloud during the Midgar section was always like that.

Cloud meets AVALANCHE wrote:Biggs
Wow! You used to be in SOLDIER all right! ...Not everyday ya find one in a group like AVALANCHE.

Jessie
SOLDIER? Aren't they the enemy?
What's he doing with us in AVALANCHE?

Biggs
Hold it, Jessie. He WAS in SOLDIER.
He quit them and now is one of us.
Didn't catch your name...

Cloud
...Cloud.

Biggs
Cloud, eh? I'm...

Cloud
I don't care what your names are. Once this job's over... I'm outta here.


Cloud and Barret discuss mako energy wrote:Barret
Little by little the reactors'll drain out all the life. And that'll be that.

Cloud
It's not my problem.

Barret
The planet's dyin', Cloud!

Cloud
The only thing I care about is finishin' this job before security and the Roboguards come.


Other than that the only stuff we really got with Cloud was the Aerith scene which was a dialogue tree in the original

Cloud meets Aerith wrote:Flower Girl
Excuse me.
What happened?

Cloud
- You'd better get out of here
- Nothing... hey, listen...

>You'd better get out of here.

Flower Girl
Really? I don't know what's going on, but all right.

>Nothing... hey, listen...
.........
- Don't see many flowers around here
- Never mind

>Don't see many flowers around here

Flower Girl
Oh, these? Do you like them? They're only a gil...?

Cloud
- Buy one
- Forget it

>Buy one

Flower Girl
Oh, thank you!
Here you are!

>Forget it

Flower Girl
Ahh... not again.

>Never mind

Flower Girl
What! Tell me!
Uh, excuse me, would you like to buy some flowers? They're only one gil.

Cloud
- Buy one
- Forget it

>Buy one

Flower Girl
Oh, thank you!
Here you are!

>Forget it

Flower Girl
Ahh... not again.


Which is hardly much to go on.


It's more towards the end where he's the cocky asshole.

He's supposed to be disinterested and (somewhat playfully) cocky toward what AVALANCHE are doing because he believes he is better than them and he just wants the cash.

Things like somersaulting into the train: "It's no big deal. Just what I always do." and winding Barret up: "Hmm...... You were worried about me!" etc. are definitely examples of a "cocky" character and not a "brooding" one which is what we seem to be getting here - although yes there is very little to go on!

Admittedly his intended early characterisation gets pretty garbled by the translation, it comes across much clearer in the original Japanese version.

ImageImage
User avatar
sawyerpip
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4) - State of Play May '19 trailer page 12
by sawyerpip » Fri May 10, 2019 12:11 pm

It looks like all of the shots in the trailer are from the first 2 hours or so of the game. If the first episode is just Midgar it's going to be very short unless it's been greatly expanded.

User avatar
Fade
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: San Junipero

PostRe: Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4) - State of Play May '19 trailer page 12
by Fade » Fri May 10, 2019 12:11 pm

Gemini73 wrote:Cheers. I can imagine some not being too happy with the game being episodic but for me I'll be able to fit in each episode between games so I'm good with that.

*edit* Just read that Final Fantasy 7: Remake will not feature turn-based combat. Hmm, not so sure now.

Turn based combat is actually strawberry floating dire.

FF7 was never turned based anyway, it had ATB

FF10 was properly turn based and I tried going back to play it last week, it's a literal chore. It's like Pokémon except your stuck with the same 8 Pokémon for the entire game.

Image
User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4) - State of Play May '19 trailer page 12
by Tafdolphin » Fri May 10, 2019 12:20 pm

Turn based is fine when done well (Persona 5, Octopath). FFVII's random battles were bullshit but would liked to have seen a version of the ATB in the remake rather than FFXV's button-mash-a-thon

Gemini73 wrote:You really are just an obnoxious little toad.

Yikes
Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on
User avatar
Fade
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: San Junipero

PostRe: Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4) - State of Play May '19 trailer page 12
by Fade » Fri May 10, 2019 12:32 pm

Thing is a lot of Menu based RPGs involve you putting in the same moves over and over again, which is basically the menu equivalent of button mashing.

I'd much rather have the option to be an active participant and dodge moves and worry about positioning than have that dynamic aspect needlessly taken away.

FFXV is probably my favourite FF battle system, just a shame the story was half baked.

Image

Return to “Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Balladeer, Bing [Bot], Crimson, FatDaz, HSH28, ITSMILNER, Met, PaperMacheMario, Photek, Saint of Killers and 45 guests