Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4) | Demo - Out Now

Anything to do with games at all.
User avatar
Photek
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Dublin

PostRe: Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4) - State of Play May '19 trailer page 12
by Photek » Fri May 10, 2019 7:49 pm

Episodic, get F**ked Square!

Image
Modern Warfare Tag: PHOTEK#9326680
NickSCFC

PostRe: Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4) - State of Play May '19 trailer page 12
by NickSCFC » Fri May 10, 2019 8:20 pm

Photek wrote:Episodic, get F**ked Square!


You could just wait for them to complete them all then buy them as a season like Hitman you know.

It's obviously going to take a long time to develop the entire FF VII world and story with this level of production value, so releasing it in stages is good for those who can't wait.

User avatar
That's not a growth
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4) - State of Play May '19 trailer page 12
by That's not a growth » Fri May 10, 2019 9:05 pm

Yeah, but it's already been developed longer than an average development time.

User avatar
Dig Dug
Member
Joined in 2011

PostRe: Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4) - State of Play May '19 trailer page 12
by Dig Dug » Fri May 10, 2019 9:09 pm

That's not a growth wrote:Yeah, but it's already been developed longer than an average development time.

Maybe they're doing a Shenmue and are developing the follow ups alongside the original release due to the shared engine.

User avatar
HaruKazuhira
Member
Joined in 2018

PostRe: Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4) - State of Play May '19 trailer page 12
by HaruKazuhira » Fri May 10, 2019 10:01 pm

Already public knowledge the game restarted development after Cyberconnect screwed up. Kinda baffled me at first why they would even outsource this game in the first place.

Image
"I am the reason, the answer and the problem"
twitter
User avatar
BID0
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Essex

PostRe: Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4) - State of Play May '19 trailer page 12
by BID0 » Sat May 11, 2019 9:04 am

I wish they started with FFVIII. It’s the best one and we already have the other games on modern consoles and PC. The only way I can play it again is if they remake it :(

User avatar
Photek
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Dublin

PostRe: Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4) - State of Play May '19 trailer page 12
by Photek » Sat May 11, 2019 9:11 am

NickSCFC wrote:
Photek wrote:Episodic, get F**ked Square!


You could just wait for them to complete them all then buy them as a season like Hitman you know.

It's obviously going to take a long time to develop the entire FF VII world and story with this level of production value, so releasing it in stages is good for those who can't wait.

It’s a Remake of an amazing RPG, making it episodic is mind numbingly stupid no matter how you want to spin it. I was hoping they scrapped that idea but nope, it’s as bad as a design decision as FO76.

Since it said it was to be episodic I’ve ‘noped’ out of any interest so I’ve no idea why it’s taking so long and I don’t care. I love FF VII and what a glaring missed opportunity this is.

Image
Modern Warfare Tag: PHOTEK#9326680
User avatar
Photek
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Dublin

PostRe: Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4) - State of Play May '19 trailer page 12
by Photek » Sat May 11, 2019 9:16 am

Fade wrote:FFXV is probably my favourite FF battle system, just a shame the story was half baked.

I couldn’t get on with FFXV’s battle system, half the time I’ve no idea what’s going on, I’m pressing buttons the pressing X to parry, it’s boring. I’d prefer the original turn based battles or even FFXIII’s system instead.

Image
Modern Warfare Tag: PHOTEK#9326680
NickSCFC

PostRe: Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4) - State of Play May '19 trailer page 12
by NickSCFC » Sat May 11, 2019 9:20 am

Photek wrote:
NickSCFC wrote:
Photek wrote:Episodic, get F**ked Square!


You could just wait for them to complete them all then buy them as a season like Hitman you know.

It's obviously going to take a long time to develop the entire FF VII world and story with this level of production value, so releasing it in stages is good for those who can't wait.

It’s a Remake of an amazing RPG, making it episodic is mind numbingly stupid no matter how you want to spin it. I was hoping they scrapped that idea but nope, it’s as bad as a design decision as FO76.

Since it said it was to be episodic I’ve ‘noped’ out of any interest so I’ve no idea why it’s taking so long and I don’t care. I love FF VII and what a glaring missed opportunity this is.


Nothing's stopping you from buying the complete game in a few years. Once you can buy the whole thing on a single Ultra HD Blu-ray disc next gen no one will remember that it started off as separate episodes.

User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4) - State of Play May '19 trailer page 12
by Tafdolphin » Sat May 11, 2019 11:21 am

NickSCFC wrote:
Photek wrote:
NickSCFC wrote:
Photek wrote:Episodic, get F**ked Square!


You could just wait for them to complete them all then buy them as a season like Hitman you know.

It's obviously going to take a long time to develop the entire FF VII world and story with this level of production value, so releasing it in stages is good for those who can't wait.

It’s a Remake of an amazing RPG, making it episodic is mind numbingly stupid no matter how you want to spin it. I was hoping they scrapped that idea but nope, it’s as bad as a design decision as FO76.

Since it said it was to be episodic I’ve ‘noped’ out of any interest so I’ve no idea why it’s taking so long and I don’t care. I love FF VII and what a glaring missed opportunity this is.


Nothing's stopping you from buying the complete game in a few years. Once you can buy the whole thing on a single Ultra HD Blu-ray disc next gen no one will remember that it started off as separate episodes.


This isn't a counter to hating the episodic nature of the game.

It's a frustrating manner of release which appears to be a way to make more money from a game many people have fond memories of. Saying "You don't have to buy it episodically" is not a response to this frustration, it's a dismissive hand waving away of people's justifiable concerns.

Night Call: a game what I worked on. Out now!
t: @Tafdolphin | Twitch: Tafdolphin
User avatar
DML
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4) - State of Play May '19 trailer page 12
by DML » Sat May 11, 2019 10:16 pm

I think people need a reality check.

The reason this is episodic is because Square cannot make a 100 hour fully open world game to the level of peoples crazy expectations as a triple AAA title in one go. To me it looks like they are struggling to make anything like peoples expectations.

Something like God Of War takes a massive development team a strawberry floating age, and thats a game thats still very linear and doesn't appear to have anywhere near the attempted scope on display here.

This feels like the game that is a strong hint that a videogame crash could be incoming. Theres just no realistic way games can be continued to be made in this manner, its absolute insanity.

Image
User avatar
Dig Dug
Member
Joined in 2011

PostRe: Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4) - State of Play May '19 trailer page 12
by Dig Dug » Sat May 11, 2019 11:53 pm

(gonna C+P what I wrote elsewhere)

Well that's just it, the technology is why something like this is so difficult to make. They are trying to take the scope of the original games world and remake it under modern standards, that means the world would be 1:1 scale and not use the abstraction seen in the original, that alone is a huge task if the developers are committed to a world where everything connects in a realistic fashion. Add the level of detail in modern graphics on top of that and the need to naturally expand the game anyway being a remake and all and you get a project that becomes bigger and more difficult to do with every new generation.

Games take more time, money and man power than ever to make, especially at the cutting edge standard that is expected of Square on systems such as the PS4. Sadly they don't get the luxuries afforded by the likes of Monolith Soft with their Xenoblade series where they can cut corners with their graphical style not being massively demanding like the one being used by the FF7 remake. Even Namco's Tales series has been smart enough to keep many traditions in their series to avoid these issues.

In short with every generation that passes the scope of a project such as this is only going to become bigger and more ridiculously demanding due to the nature of the original game. Square don't want to make a 1 for 1 remake with a graphic upgrade either, it would be pointless in their eyes when the original exists and can just be played instead. The Resident Evil 2 remake took years to make and they had a far more manageable scope to work with thanks to the game being set mostly in one building.

The reason it took them so long to even start remaking FF7 is obvious; it is a game they really didn't want to remake on the logistics side. It's a poisoned chalice.

User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4) - State of Play May '19 trailer page 12
by Tafdolphin » Sun May 12, 2019 5:03 am

DML wrote:I think people need a reality check.

The reason this is episodic is because Square cannot make a 100 hour fully open world game to the level of peoples crazy expectations as a triple AAA title in one go.


I've seen people say this and this opinion also confuses me.

As a counter example, take CD Projekt Red. Here's a company and team less than half the size of Square (who let's not forget are one of the biggest developers in Japan) currently making an RPG of a scale previously unseen in the video game industry. Cyberpunk, from everything we've seen, looks to be taking the idea of what we recognise as a role playing game and expanding on it exponentially. It's taken them 8 years and counting, but it's happening.

The idea that one of the largest game developers in the world, with a near unlimited potential budget, working on a remake, cannot match this ambition is odd to me. I mean, their last game (FFXV) was exactly the game you describe, and was a completely original product, and they released that in one go. What's the difference here?

Night Call: a game what I worked on. Out now!
t: @Tafdolphin | Twitch: Tafdolphin
Damian
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4) - State of Play May '19 trailer page 12
by Damian » Sun May 12, 2019 10:17 am

I reckon this'll be decent, but it's going to be a bit like where you get a film years after a book. You've always imagined the voices in a certain way in your head, and someone's actual interpretation of that is never going to live up to it...

User avatar
Cal
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4) - State of Play May '19 trailer page 12
by Cal » Mon May 13, 2019 11:32 am

Dig Dug wrote:(gonna C+P what I wrote elsewhere)
...The reason it took them so long to even start remaking FF7 is obvious; it is a game they really didn't want to remake on the logistics side. It's a poisoned chalice.


All fair points - and I guess that means we're never going to see a complete remake of FFXIII for those very reasons.

But - damn - this remake looks good! Character and world design looks fantastic. It's clear they have invested a considerable amount of expertise, time and cash into getting this done properly. I've never played the original, but I'm really looking forward to playing this. Looks absolutely stunning. Might even be an excuse for me to spend a ridiculous amount on a special edition (and an Art Book if there's going to be one) - I think it might be 'one of those games' where the initial investment could pay off big-time way down the road...

User avatar
DML
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4) - State of Play May '19 trailer page 12
by DML » Mon May 13, 2019 11:56 am

Tafdolphin wrote:
DML wrote:I think people need a reality check.

The reason this is episodic is because Square cannot make a 100 hour fully open world game to the level of peoples crazy expectations as a triple AAA title in one go.


I've seen people say this and this opinion also confuses me.

As a counter example, take CD Projekt Red. Here's a company and team less than half the size of Square (who let's not forget are one of the biggest developers in Japan) currently making an RPG of a scale previously unseen in the video game industry. Cyberpunk, from everything we've seen, looks to be taking the idea of what we recognise as a role playing game and expanding on it exponentially. It's taken them 8 years and counting, but it's happening.

The idea that one of the largest game developers in the world, with a near unlimited potential budget, working on a remake, cannot match this ambition is odd to me. I mean, their last game (FFXV) was exactly the game you describe, and was a completely original product, and they released that in one go. What's the difference here?


Aaaand theres the problem.

Image
User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4) - State of Play May '19 trailer page 12
by Tafdolphin » Mon May 13, 2019 12:03 pm

DML wrote:
Tafdolphin wrote:
DML wrote:I think people need a reality check.

The reason this is episodic is because Square cannot make a 100 hour fully open world game to the level of peoples crazy expectations as a triple AAA title in one go.


I've seen people say this and this opinion also confuses me.

As a counter example, take CD Projekt Red. Here's a company and team less than half the size of Square (who let's not forget are one of the biggest developers in Japan) currently making an RPG of a scale previously unseen in the video game industry. Cyberpunk, from everything we've seen, looks to be taking the idea of what we recognise as a role playing game and expanding on it exponentially. It's taken them 8 years and counting, but it's happening.

The idea that one of the largest game developers in the world, with a near unlimited potential budget, working on a remake, cannot match this ambition is odd to me. I mean, their last game (FFXV) was exactly the game you describe, and was a completely original product, and they released that in one go. What's the difference here?


Aaaand theres the problem.


How long do you think it'll take to get all the FFVII eps out?

Without wanting to be reductive, I can only see it as a cash grab.

Night Call: a game what I worked on. Out now!
t: @Tafdolphin | Twitch: Tafdolphin
User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4) - State of Play May '19 trailer page 12
by Tomous » Mon May 13, 2019 12:11 pm

Tafdolphin wrote:Without wanting to be reductive, I can only see it as a cash grab.


Is the expectation each episode will be a full price game?

Image
User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4) - State of Play May '19 trailer page 12
by Tafdolphin » Mon May 13, 2019 12:12 pm

Tomous wrote:
Tafdolphin wrote:Without wanting to be reductive, I can only see it as a cash grab.


Is the expectation each episode will be a full price game?


I can't see it being less than $30, which means the whole will be minimum $90.

Night Call: a game what I worked on. Out now!
t: @Tafdolphin | Twitch: Tafdolphin
User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Jenuall
Location: 40 light-years outside of the Exeter nebula

PostRe: Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4) - State of Play May '19 trailer page 12
by Jenuall » Mon May 13, 2019 1:18 pm

Just buy the season pass and it will be a very reasonable $80 I'm sure! :toot: :cry:

Image

Return to “Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: chanticleer, DarkRula, Met, more heat than light, Somebody Else's Problem, Tsunade, Vermilion and 142 guests