Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4)

Anything to do with games at all.
User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4) - State of Play May '19 trailer page 12
by Tafdolphin » Sun May 12, 2019 5:03 am

DML wrote:I think people need a reality check.

The reason this is episodic is because Square cannot make a 100 hour fully open world game to the level of peoples crazy expectations as a triple AAA title in one go.


I've seen people say this and this opinion also confuses me.

As a counter example, take CD Projekt Red. Here's a company and team less than half the size of Square (who let's not forget are one of the biggest developers in Japan) currently making an RPG of a scale previously unseen in the video game industry. Cyberpunk, from everything we've seen, looks to be taking the idea of what we recognise as a role playing game and expanding on it exponentially. It's taken them 8 years and counting, but it's happening.

The idea that one of the largest game developers in the world, with a near unlimited potential budget, working on a remake, cannot match this ambition is odd to me. I mean, their last game (FFXV) was exactly the game you describe, and was a completely original product, and they released that in one go. What's the difference here?

Gemini73 wrote:You really are just an obnoxious little toad.

Yikes
Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on
Damian
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4) - State of Play May '19 trailer page 12
by Damian » Sun May 12, 2019 10:17 am

I reckon this'll be decent, but it's going to be a bit like where you get a film years after a book. You've always imagined the voices in a certain way in your head, and someone's actual interpretation of that is never going to live up to it...

User avatar
Cal
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4) - State of Play May '19 trailer page 12
by Cal » Mon May 13, 2019 11:32 am

Dig Dug wrote:(gonna C+P what I wrote elsewhere)
...The reason it took them so long to even start remaking FF7 is obvious; it is a game they really didn't want to remake on the logistics side. It's a poisoned chalice.


All fair points - and I guess that means we're never going to see a complete remake of FFXIII for those very reasons.

But - damn - this remake looks good! Character and world design looks fantastic. It's clear they have invested a considerable amount of expertise, time and cash into getting this done properly. I've never played the original, but I'm really looking forward to playing this. Looks absolutely stunning. Might even be an excuse for me to spend a ridiculous amount on a special edition (and an Art Book if there's going to be one) - I think it might be 'one of those games' where the initial investment could pay off big-time way down the road...

Image
XB1X: CalUKGR PS4Pro: CalUKGR
User avatar
DML
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4) - State of Play May '19 trailer page 12
by DML » Mon May 13, 2019 11:56 am

Tafdolphin wrote:
DML wrote:I think people need a reality check.

The reason this is episodic is because Square cannot make a 100 hour fully open world game to the level of peoples crazy expectations as a triple AAA title in one go.


I've seen people say this and this opinion also confuses me.

As a counter example, take CD Projekt Red. Here's a company and team less than half the size of Square (who let's not forget are one of the biggest developers in Japan) currently making an RPG of a scale previously unseen in the video game industry. Cyberpunk, from everything we've seen, looks to be taking the idea of what we recognise as a role playing game and expanding on it exponentially. It's taken them 8 years and counting, but it's happening.

The idea that one of the largest game developers in the world, with a near unlimited potential budget, working on a remake, cannot match this ambition is odd to me. I mean, their last game (FFXV) was exactly the game you describe, and was a completely original product, and they released that in one go. What's the difference here?


Aaaand theres the problem.

Image
User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4) - State of Play May '19 trailer page 12
by Tafdolphin » Mon May 13, 2019 12:03 pm

DML wrote:
Tafdolphin wrote:
DML wrote:I think people need a reality check.

The reason this is episodic is because Square cannot make a 100 hour fully open world game to the level of peoples crazy expectations as a triple AAA title in one go.


I've seen people say this and this opinion also confuses me.

As a counter example, take CD Projekt Red. Here's a company and team less than half the size of Square (who let's not forget are one of the biggest developers in Japan) currently making an RPG of a scale previously unseen in the video game industry. Cyberpunk, from everything we've seen, looks to be taking the idea of what we recognise as a role playing game and expanding on it exponentially. It's taken them 8 years and counting, but it's happening.

The idea that one of the largest game developers in the world, with a near unlimited potential budget, working on a remake, cannot match this ambition is odd to me. I mean, their last game (FFXV) was exactly the game you describe, and was a completely original product, and they released that in one go. What's the difference here?


Aaaand theres the problem.


How long do you think it'll take to get all the FFVII eps out?

Without wanting to be reductive, I can only see it as a cash grab.

Gemini73 wrote:You really are just an obnoxious little toad.

Yikes
Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on
User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4) - State of Play May '19 trailer page 12
by Tomous » Mon May 13, 2019 12:11 pm

Tafdolphin wrote:Without wanting to be reductive, I can only see it as a cash grab.


Is the expectation each episode will be a full price game?

User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4) - State of Play May '19 trailer page 12
by Tafdolphin » Mon May 13, 2019 12:12 pm

Tomous wrote:
Tafdolphin wrote:Without wanting to be reductive, I can only see it as a cash grab.


Is the expectation each episode will be a full price game?


I can't see it being less than $30, which means the whole will be minimum $90.

Gemini73 wrote:You really are just an obnoxious little toad.

Yikes
Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on
User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4) - State of Play May '19 trailer page 12
by Jenuall » Mon May 13, 2019 1:18 pm

Just buy the season pass and it will be a very reasonable $80 I'm sure! :toot: :cry:

ImageImage
User avatar
Sandy
Member
Joined in 2018
AKA: Akuma / Dormin
Location: Surrey, darling

PostRe: Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4) - State of Play May '19 trailer page 12
by Sandy » Mon May 13, 2019 1:23 pm

Definitely sounds like a cash grab. A cash grab where my poor sensitive ears have to listen to some of the worst voice acting of the modern age.

User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4) - State of Play May '19 trailer page 12
by Jenuall » Mon May 13, 2019 1:36 pm

Sandy wrote:Definitely sounds like a cash grab. A cash grab where my poor sensitive ears have to listen to some of the worst voice acting of the modern age.


Yeah I have 0 hopes for decent voice work in this. I re-watched Advent Children recently and the voice acting in that is utterly hideous for the most part. :dread:

ImageImage
User avatar
NickSCFC
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4) - State of Play May '19 trailer page 12
by NickSCFC » Tue May 14, 2019 11:21 am

https://kotaku.com/fans-are-concerned-a ... 1834678296

:fp:

Barret always sounded like Me T to me as a kid. This is as bad as the 50 page ResetEra thread arguing about whether he'd been whitewashed because the lighting is different.

User avatar
Hexx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4) - State of Play May '19 trailer page 12
by Hexx » Tue May 14, 2019 11:21 am

In realated news - I'm really liking replaying the PS4 re-release. The 3 "cheat" buttons are well implemented (I've only used the 3x speed one) and the gameplay is still solid, even early on

Gemini73

PostRe: Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4) - State of Play May '19 trailer page 12
by Gemini73 » Tue May 14, 2019 11:53 am

NickSCFC wrote:https://kotaku.com/fans-are-concerned-about-barrets-voice-in-the-final-fan-1834678296

:fp:

Barret always sounded like Me T to me as a kid. This is as bad as the 50 page ResetEra thread arguing about whether he'd been whitewashed because the lighting is different.


Kotaku :dread:

User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4) - State of Play May '19 trailer page 12
by Jenuall » Tue May 14, 2019 11:56 am

NickSCFC wrote:https://kotaku.com/fans-are-concerned-about-barrets-voice-in-the-final-fan-1834678296

:fp:

Barret always sounded like Me T to me as a kid. This is as bad as the 50 page ResetEra thread arguing about whether he'd been whitewashed because the lighting is different.

That's the point tough, he sounded like Mr T because of the "bad" translation of the original game.

Now that they are remaking it should they take the opportunity to correct the translation to remain faithful to the original intended characterisation, or should they run with the characterisation as portrayed by the "bad" translation to remain faithful to the experience western players had from the original game?

ImageImage
User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4) - State of Play May '19 trailer page 12
by Tafdolphin » Tue May 14, 2019 12:27 pm

Jenuall wrote:
NickSCFC wrote:https://kotaku.com/fans-are-concerned-about-barrets-voice-in-the-final-fan-1834678296

:fp:

Barret always sounded like Me T to me as a kid. This is as bad as the 50 page ResetEra thread arguing about whether he'd been whitewashed because the lighting is different.

That's the point tough, he sounded like Mr T because of the "bad" translation of the original game.

Now that they are remaking it should they take the opportunity to correct the translation to remain faithful to the original intended characterisation, or should they run with the characterisation as portrayed by the "bad" translation to remain faithful to the experience western players had from the original game?


Exactly.

It's a great article.

Gemini73 wrote:You really are just an obnoxious little toad.

Yikes
Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on
User avatar
OrangeRKN
SONM & Cake Sec.
SONM & Cake Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4) - State of Play May '19 trailer page 12
by OrangeRKN » Tue May 14, 2019 1:00 pm

Keep seeing people say they never played the original so they're interested in playing this remake and I don't understand it. I've still not played the original, but because it's held up so high I know I want to play that version and not a remake that could colour my perception of the original before I eventually get round to it. If you're committing to play one and haven't played either, why wouldn't you choose the game that is so widely praised, especially when it is so readily available?

Witty biological-political hybrid jokes are the reason this place fails to cater to a wide audience
Image
Image
Web - RedBubble - @OrangeRakoon - GOTY 2018
User avatar
Dig Dug
Member
Joined in 2011

PostRe: Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4) - State of Play May '19 trailer page 12
by Dig Dug » Tue May 14, 2019 1:02 pm

I'd say keep it faithful to the original translation personally.
Image

User avatar
NickSCFC
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4) - State of Play May '19 trailer page 12
by NickSCFC » Tue May 14, 2019 1:37 pm

Tafdolphin wrote:
Jenuall wrote:
NickSCFC wrote:https://kotaku.com/fans-are-concerned-about-barrets-voice-in-the-final-fan-1834678296

:fp:

Barret always sounded like Me T to me as a kid. This is as bad as the 50 page ResetEra thread arguing about whether he'd been whitewashed because the lighting is different.

That's the point tough, he sounded like Mr T because of the "bad" translation of the original game.

Now that they are remaking it should they take the opportunity to correct the translation to remain faithful to the original intended characterisation, or should they run with the characterisation as portrayed by the "bad" translation to remain faithful to the experience western players had from the original game?


Exactly.

It's a great article.


The "bad" translation is what everyone in the west remembers though.

User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4) - State of Play May '19 trailer page 12
by Tafdolphin » Tue May 14, 2019 1:40 pm

So if everyone wants exactly the same game as the first time round, as Orange says, why bother with a remake?

Gemini73 wrote:You really are just an obnoxious little toad.

Yikes
Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on
User avatar
Met
Member
Joined in 2015

PostRe: Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4) - State of Play May '19 trailer page 12
by Met » Wed May 15, 2019 7:24 am

It already looks and sounds better, so if they keep literally everything else the exact same then it'll be a slam dunk.

I get your point, but at the same time, if it ain't broke...


Return to “Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DrPepperMan, Heskimo, Jeffyard, Monkey Man, Rax, Rubix, Skarjo, Trelliz and 49 guests