Mortal Kombat 11 (PS4, Switch, PC, XBO) - out now | "Those were 500 dollar microtransactions, asshole"

Anything to do with games at all.

Favourite Mortal Kombat game?

Mortal Kombat (1992)
1
4%
Mortal Kombat II (1993)
10
40%
Mortal Kombat 3/Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 (1995)
4
16%
Mortal Kombat 4/Gold (1997)
1
4%
Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance (2002)
2
8%
Mortal Kombat: Deception (2004)
0
No votes
Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks (2005)
1
4%
Mortal Kombat: Armageddon (2006)
0
No votes
Mortal Kombat (2011)
3
12%
Mortal Kombat X (2015)
3
12%
 
Total votes: 25
User avatar
Godzilla
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Mortal Kombat 11 (PS4, Switch, PC, XBO) - out 23 April 2019 | "Those were 500 dollar sunglasses, asshole"
by Godzilla » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:11 pm



Just when I think I'm out..... That music plays and I'm back in.

Wish my image sig would work
User avatar
Godzilla
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Mortal Kombat 11 (PS4, Switch, PC, XBO) - out 23 April 2019 | "Those were 500 dollar sunglasses, asshole"
by Godzilla » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:51 am

Full DLC list from SWITCH data mining...

Spoilers


Spoilers

Shang tsung
Joker - DC
Night wolf
Terminator
Sindel
Spawn
Ash
Fujin
Sheena

No mention of frost or two cyborgs who were in the trailers.


Very happy if that turns out to be true.

Wish my image sig would work
User avatar
Zartan
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Mortal Kombat 11 (PS4, Switch, PC, XBO) - out 23 April 2019 | "Those were 500 dollar sunglasses, asshole"
by Zartan » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:51 pm

That seems really unlikely. There are only 6 DLC characters in the fighter pack, even with 2 it seems unlikely there would be that many guests

Also from the story mode, it looks quite likelywe will get at least one Cyborg, and I would be shocked if Rain is not in the DLC

User avatar
Godzilla
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Mortal Kombat 11 (PS4, Switch, PC, XBO) - out 23 April 2019 | "Those were 500 dollar sunglasses, asshole"
by Godzilla » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:51 pm


Wish my image sig would work
User avatar
Wedgie
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Mortal Kombat 11 (PS4, Switch, PC, XBO) - out 23 April 2019 | "Those were 500 dollar sunglasses, asshole"
by Wedgie » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:16 pm

KK wrote:GAME emailed me this morning to let me know that I only have 11 days left to pre-order their exclusive Kollector's Edition. Thought I'd check it out...

Image

£279.99

That's more than the computer I'm using to type this is worth.

What on earth there is worth that much money?! It's a plastic head and a magnet.


Image

Image

Denster wrote:My phone messaged me yesterday after i'd encouraged him to download and play the RESi demo.


Super Intelligent Phones Are Here!!!! We are dooooomed!
User avatar
HaruKazuhira
Member
Joined in 2018

PostRe: Mortal Kombat 11 (PS4, Switch, PC, XBO) - out 23 April 2019 | "Those were 500 dollar sunglasses, asshole"
by HaruKazuhira » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:01 pm

I really want this but Jade is the only character I'm interested in. Not sure it worth getting just for her, as much as I'm hyped to have her back >,>

Image
"I am the reason, the answer and the problem"
twitter
User avatar
Godzilla
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Mortal Kombat 11 (PS4, Switch, PC, XBO) - out 23 April 2019 | "Those were 500 dollar sunglasses, asshole"
by Godzilla » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:05 pm


Wish my image sig would work
User avatar
NickSCFC
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Mortal Kombat 11 (PS4, Switch, PC, XBO) - out 23 April 2019 | "Those were 500 dollar sunglasses, asshole"
by NickSCFC » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:05 pm

Switch version looks decent...


Image
Image
User avatar
HailToTheKingBaby!
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Derbyshire, UK
Contact:

PostRe: Mortal Kombat 11 (PS4, Switch, PC, XBO) - out 23 April 2019 | "Those were 500 dollar sunglasses, asshole"
by HailToTheKingBaby! » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:29 pm

I got the Switch version. It's literally the full game and plays just fine. The graphics have had a fairly major downgrade, mostly in resolution and aliasing but when you're playing you stop noticing and it looks decent taken on its own merits.

I'm really enjoying it and having it on the go is nice.

Checkout "Suck My Review" - My Awesome New Movie Reviews Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZohVW8cseYTDOwFROEnKWQ
User avatar
Ploiper
Member
Joined in 2018

PostRe: Mortal Kombat 11 (PS4, Switch, PC, XBO) - out 23 April 2019 | "Those were 500 dollar sunglasses, asshole"
by Ploiper » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:33 pm

i am loving the krypt, opening doors to unlock new areas to explore is so fun.

:toot: :toot: :toot:
User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: Mortal Kombat 11 (PS4, Switch, PC, XBO) - out 23 April 2019 | "Those were 500 dollar sunglasses, asshole"
by KK » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:54 pm

NickSCFC wrote:Switch version looks decent...


Viewed on my iPad rather than a big TV, there’s really not that much difference. And I’m guessing for Switch owners the allure of multiformat games is that very portability.

Image
User avatar
Lazy Fair
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Mortal Kombat 11 (PS4, Switch, PC, XBO) - out 23 April 2019 | "Those were 500 dollar sunglasses, asshole"
by Lazy Fair » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:33 am

Anyone got this on switch? Is it a decent port? I quite fancy it but not sure if I’m being daft as I couldn’t get used to the last one. Street Fighter is too ingrained in my muscle memory. The big combo strings are something I just can’t eat my head around.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3DS code - 2707 1618 5652
Let me know if you add me!
User avatar
Godzilla
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Mortal Kombat 11 (PS4, Switch, PC, XBO) - out 23 April 2019 | "Those were 500 dollar sunglasses, asshole"
by Godzilla » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:45 am

It's interesting to see the quality of reviews for this, as all mention micro transactions and the fact they are predatory. Some even mention ed boon calling out reviewers for mentioning it. But few have reduce the games score accordingly. Largely due to how much good will there is towards the franchise.

Wish my image sig would work
Gemini73

PostRe: Mortal Kombat 11 (PS4, Switch, PC, XBO) - out 23 April 2019 | "Those were 500 dollar sunglasses, asshole"
by Gemini73 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:56 am

Godzilla wrote:It's interesting to see the quality of reviews for this, as all mention micro transactions and the fact they are predatory. Some even mention ed boon calling out reviewers for mentioning it. But few have reduce the games score accordingly. Largely due to how much good will there is towards the franchise.


Seems to be the case. The Independent gave the grind/MT element a right kicking:


It feels so aggressive, like ‘we’re going to waste one hell of a lot of your time and energy unless you hand over more cash’. It’s fine if you’re not interested in the customisation, but given that it was a much-lauded, heavily promoted draw of the game, it’s a massive shame to feel like you have to avoid it because of aggressive microtransactions or thankless grind


...but still scored it an 8.

This is a good example of why I largely ignore game reviews. They're simply untrustworthy.

User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: Mortal Kombat 11 (PS4, Switch, PC, XBO) - out 23 April 2019 | "Those were 500 dollar sunglasses, asshole"
by KK » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:01 pm

In other words: buy it at £25 quid and purchase the micro transactions.

Fighting games do fall in price very quickly, I've noticed.

Image
User avatar
Manwell Pablo
Member
Joined in 2017

PostRe: Mortal Kombat 11 (PS4, Switch, PC, XBO) - out 23 April 2019 | "Those were 500 dollar sunglasses, asshole"
by Manwell Pablo » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:22 pm

Gemini73 wrote:
Godzilla wrote:It's interesting to see the quality of reviews for this, as all mention micro transactions and the fact they are predatory. Some even mention ed boon calling out reviewers for mentioning it. But few have reduce the games score accordingly. Largely due to how much good will there is towards the franchise.


Seems to be the case. The Independent gave the grind/MT element a right kicking:


It feels so aggressive, like ‘we’re going to waste one hell of a lot of your time and energy unless you hand over more cash’. It’s fine if you’re not interested in the customisation, but given that it was a much-lauded, heavily promoted draw of the game, it’s a massive shame to feel like you have to avoid it because of aggressive microtransactions or thankless grind


...but still scored it an 8.

This is a good example of why I largely ignore game reviews. They're simply untrustworthy.


Because it's one criticism of one part of a otherwise very solid game? It is gooseberry fool, but there is a lot more to the game than the Krypt and the endless "chests" (loot boxes)

Perhaps I am bias as spending ages customising every detail about every character has never really been high on my priority list

Image
Gemini73

PostRe: Mortal Kombat 11 (PS4, Switch, PC, XBO) - out 23 April 2019 | "Those were 500 dollar sunglasses, asshole"
by Gemini73 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:36 pm

Manwell Pablo wrote:
Gemini73 wrote:
Godzilla wrote:It's interesting to see the quality of reviews for this, as all mention micro transactions and the fact they are predatory. Some even mention ed boon calling out reviewers for mentioning it. But few have reduce the games score accordingly. Largely due to how much good will there is towards the franchise.


Seems to be the case. The Independent gave the grind/MT element a right kicking:


It feels so aggressive, like ‘we’re going to waste one hell of a lot of your time and energy unless you hand over more cash’. It’s fine if you’re not interested in the customisation, but given that it was a much-lauded, heavily promoted draw of the game, it’s a massive shame to feel like you have to avoid it because of aggressive microtransactions or thankless grind


...but still scored it an 8.

This is a good example of why I largely ignore game reviews. They're simply untrustworthy.


Because it's one criticism of one part of a otherwise very solid game? It is gooseberry fool, but there is a lot more to the game than the Krypt and the endless "chests" (loot boxes)

Perhaps I am bias as spending ages customising every detail about every character has never really been high on my priority list


It's quite a big criticism that is then quickly put to bed when it really shouldn't be. If we're going to criticise the likes of Fallout 76 for releasing at full price with hardly any content and mark it down accordingly then Mortal Kombat 11 should be marked down accordingly for holding gamers to ransom after they've also paid full price. Again, this is why I don't put much stock in video game reviews as those behind them are too selective as to what gets dragged through the mud and what doesn't.

User avatar
Manwell Pablo
Member
Joined in 2017

PostRe: Mortal Kombat 11 (PS4, Switch, PC, XBO) - out 23 April 2019 | "Those were 500 dollar sunglasses, asshole"
by Manwell Pablo » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:03 pm

Gemini73 wrote:
Manwell Pablo wrote:
Gemini73 wrote:
Godzilla wrote:It's interesting to see the quality of reviews for this, as all mention micro transactions and the fact they are predatory. Some even mention ed boon calling out reviewers for mentioning it. But few have reduce the games score accordingly. Largely due to how much good will there is towards the franchise.


Seems to be the case. The Independent gave the grind/MT element a right kicking:


It feels so aggressive, like ‘we’re going to waste one hell of a lot of your time and energy unless you hand over more cash’. It’s fine if you’re not interested in the customisation, but given that it was a much-lauded, heavily promoted draw of the game, it’s a massive shame to feel like you have to avoid it because of aggressive microtransactions or thankless grind


...but still scored it an 8.

This is a good example of why I largely ignore game reviews. They're simply untrustworthy.


Because it's one criticism of one part of a otherwise very solid game? It is gooseberry fool, but there is a lot more to the game than the Krypt and the endless "chests" (loot boxes)

Perhaps I am bias as spending ages customising every detail about every character has never really been high on my priority list


It's quite a big criticism that is then quickly put to bed when it really shouldn't be. If we're going to criticise the likes of Fallout 76 for releasing at full price with hardly any content and mark it down accordingly then Mortal Kombat 11 should be marked down accordingly for holding gamers to ransom after they've also paid full price. Again, this is why I don't put much stock in video game reviews as those behind them are too selective as to what gets dragged through the mud and what doesn't.


Well Fallout 76

Image
Gemini73

PostRe: Mortal Kombat 11 (PS4, Switch, PC, XBO) - out 23 April 2019 | "Those were 500 dollar sunglasses, asshole"
by Gemini73 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:10 pm

Manwell Pablo wrote:
Gemini73 wrote:
Manwell Pablo wrote:
Gemini73 wrote:
Godzilla wrote:It's interesting to see the quality of reviews for this, as all mention micro transactions and the fact they are predatory. Some even mention ed boon calling out reviewers for mentioning it. But few have reduce the games score accordingly. Largely due to how much good will there is towards the franchise.


Seems to be the case. The Independent gave the grind/MT element a right kicking:


It feels so aggressive, like ‘we’re going to waste one hell of a lot of your time and energy unless you hand over more cash’. It’s fine if you’re not interested in the customisation, but given that it was a much-lauded, heavily promoted draw of the game, it’s a massive shame to feel like you have to avoid it because of aggressive microtransactions or thankless grind


...but still scored it an 8.

This is a good example of why I largely ignore game reviews. They're simply untrustworthy.


Because it's one criticism of one part of a otherwise very solid game? It is gooseberry fool, but there is a lot more to the game than the Krypt and the endless "chests" (loot boxes)

Perhaps I am bias as spending ages customising every detail about every character has never really been high on my priority list


It's quite a big criticism that is then quickly put to bed when it really shouldn't be. If we're going to criticise the likes of Fallout 76 for releasing at full price with hardly any content and mark it down accordingly then Mortal Kombat 11 should be marked down accordingly for holding gamers to ransom after they've also paid full price. Again, this is why I don't put much stock in video game reviews as those behind them are too selective as to what gets dragged through the mud and what doesn't.


Well Fallout 76


A response proving my point somewhat.

User avatar
Manwell Pablo
Member
Joined in 2017

PostRe: Mortal Kombat 11 (PS4, Switch, PC, XBO) - out 23 April 2019 | "Those were 500 dollar sunglasses, asshole"
by Manwell Pablo » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:13 pm

Gemini73 wrote:
Manwell Pablo wrote:
Gemini73 wrote:
Godzilla wrote:It's interesting to see the quality of reviews for this, as all mention micro transactions and the fact they are predatory. Some even mention ed boon calling out reviewers for mentioning it. But few have reduce the games score accordingly. Largely due to how much good will there is towards the franchise.


Seems to be the case. The Independent gave the grind/MT element a right kicking:


It feels so aggressive, like ‘we’re going to waste one hell of a lot of your time and energy unless you hand over more cash’. It’s fine if you’re not interested in the customisation, but given that it was a much-lauded, heavily promoted draw of the game, it’s a massive shame to feel like you have to avoid it because of aggressive microtransactions or thankless grind


...but still scored it an 8.

This is a good example of why I largely ignore game reviews. They're simply untrustworthy.


Because it's one criticism of one part of a otherwise very solid game? It is gooseberry fool, but there is a lot more to the game than the Krypt and the endless "chests" (loot boxes)

Perhaps I am bias as spending ages customising every detail about every character has never really been high on my priority list


It's quite a big criticism that is then quickly put to bed when it really shouldn't be. If we're going to criticise the likes of Fallout 76 for releasing at full price with hardly any content and mark it down accordingly then Mortal Kombat 11 should be marked down accordingly for holding gamers to ransom after they've also paid full price. Again, this is why I don't put much stock in video game reviews as those behind them are too selective as to what gets dragged through the mud and what doesn't.


Well Fallout 76 had multiple issues ranging from bugs, server problems, content, ancient engine and a terrible VATS system replacement among others, it was not marked down for one failure.

I mean there are different ways of looking at this, a lot of fighting games in the past haven't even given you the option of a krypt and have just flat out said you want to a different character skin and customisation then I'm afraid you are paying for it. The system isn't a million miles away from the one they used with Injustice 2 which weirdly was massively praised (although that backs up what you say about reviewers I guess)

I do get what you mean The Division 2 had me puzzled last month as it was literally bug filled yet seemed to churn out good scores when other games have been lambasted for similar problems. Sometimes I think reading the review instead of just looking at the score is the best way to get an idea of how a games plays.

Image

Return to “Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Kriken, Parksey and 37 guests