‪Sky, Virgin Media and BT all increase their prices - 2019 edition (pg1‬4)

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Knoyleo
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: ‪Sky, Virgin Media and BT all increase their prices - 2019 edition (pg1‬4)
by Knoyleo » Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:53 pm

Stuck with Virgin for now, as the only fibre provider in the area, and our new customer discounts are all up. I managed to get some extra off the bill when the contract term ended, but not as good as it had been. Now it's going up again.

Openreach have confirmed that our postcode will be getting fibre rolled out, but there's no indication of when that will be for now.

User avatar
Photek
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Dublin

PostRe: ‪Sky, Virgin Media and BT all increase their prices - 2019 edition (pg1‬4)
by Photek » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:32 pm

Changing from Eir BB to Sky BB has saved me €120 a month. I sh*t you not.

Now I have Sky everything so that’s why but still, pretty cool.

Image
Grcades resident banana split.
User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: ‪Sky, Virgin Media and BT all increase their prices - 2019 edition (pg1‬4)
by Lagamorph » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:06 pm

If you're on Virgin and just want internet I can't recommend looking at a Business account enough.
£32/month (think that excludes VAT though) and you get 350Mbps internet, the price is fixed for 2 years and doesn't suffer the increases of the consumer contracts plus all faults are guaranteed to be resolved within 48 hours.

I don't have a business, I just told them I work from home sometimes and that was enough to qualify for it.

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Winckle
Technician
Joined in 2008
Location: Liverpool

PostRe: ‪Sky, Virgin Media and BT all increase their prices - 2019 edition (pg1‬4)
by Winckle » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:58 pm

Lagamorph wrote:If you're on Virgin and just want internet I can't recommend looking at a Business account enough.
£32/month (think that excludes VAT though) and you get 350Mbps internet, the price is fixed for 2 years and doesn't suffer the increases of the consumer contracts plus all faults are guaranteed to be resolved within 48 hours.

I don't have a business, I just told them I work from home sometimes and that was enough to qualify for it.

I pay more than that for their consumer line, and I also work from home. This could be worth looking into.

User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: ‪Sky, Virgin Media and BT all increase their prices - 2019 edition (pg1‬4)
by KK » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:04 pm

If you're with Sky broadband and phone (and are happy with them) my advice would be to alternate switching between Sky and Now Broadband via Quidco or another cashback provider. It's the exact same service.

Image
User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: ‪Sky, Virgin Media and BT all increase their prices - 2019 edition (pg1‬4)
by Lagamorph » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:04 pm

Winckle wrote:
Lagamorph wrote:If you're on Virgin and just want internet I can't recommend looking at a Business account enough.
£32/month (think that excludes VAT though) and you get 350Mbps internet, the price is fixed for 2 years and doesn't suffer the increases of the consumer contracts plus all faults are guaranteed to be resolved within 48 hours.

I don't have a business, I just told them I work from home sometimes and that was enough to qualify for it.

I pay more than that for their consumer line, and I also work from home. This could be worth looking into.

I was paying more and when I switched it got cheaper. I pay £42/month since I got the landline as well, but it includes anytime unlimited calls. £32/month is their Broadband only, but as I said I think that excludes VAT so with VAT it's about £39/month. I was out of contract when I switched, but my mate who switched after me was mid-contract and said they just swapped him over without needing to pay any kind of get out for his consumer contract. He doesn't even work from home, just told them he does :lol:

The only downside is that you're tied in for a 2 year contract and the upload speeds aren't fantastic if you're bothered about that.

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: ‪Sky, Virgin Media and BT all increase their prices - 2019 edition (pg1‬4)
by KK » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:54 pm

Now TV putting their prices up as well.

A Sky Sports Day Pass is now £9.99; Entertainment Pass increasing to £8.99 a month from October 9. Sky are saying the latter is going up because they're introducing a new channel called Sky Crime.

Image
User avatar
Garth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008
Location: Norn Iron

PostRe: ‪Sky, Virgin Media and BT all increase their prices - 2019 edition (pg1‬4)
by Garth » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:12 pm

For FFS sake.

User avatar
Mafro
Moderator
Joined in 2008
AKA: DAT MAF
Contact:

PostRe: ‪Sky, Virgin Media and BT all increase their prices - 2019 edition (pg1‬4)
by Mafro » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:13 pm

Wonder how much of a hit NowTV is taking now GoT is no more.

HSH28 wrote:Assmung you ever get one that is.

Blog | Twitter
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: ‪Sky, Virgin Media and BT all increase their prices - 2019 edition (pg1‬4)
by Moggy » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:20 pm

KK wrote:Now TV putting their prices up as well.

A Sky Sports Day Pass is now £9.99; Entertainment Pass increasing to £8.99 a month from October 9. Sky are saying the latter is going up because they're introducing a new channel called Sky Crime.


It’s definitely a strawberry floating crime.

User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: ‪Sky, Virgin Media and BT all increase their prices - 2019 edition (pg1‬4)
by KK » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:31 pm

Mafro wrote:Wonder how much of a hit NowTV is taking now GoT is no more.

I was looking at their on-demand section yesterday (I'm currently getting it free for 9 months) and there was nothing really there worth watching on a monthly basis. Once you've cleaned out Sky Atlantic it's a pile of shite.

Not the only price increase coming either, as later this year if you (finally!) want to Chris Accaboosty the picture quality up to 1080p they want another £3 quid from you.

Image

Image
User avatar
Green Gecko
Treasurer
Joined in 2008
Location: Sussex
Contact:

PostRe: ‪Sky, Virgin Media and BT all increase their prices - 2019 edition (pg1‬4)
by Green Gecko » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:30 pm

I've been out of contract with Sky for 3 months now which means I've lost £42, why can't they make it strawberry floating easier than calling them to go back to the £28 rate? Like "Click here to re-confirm your contract!" No, you have to call us and waste time being goaded into a TV and calls package or some gooseberry fool. It says a lot I'd rather lose about £50 than call sales banana splits.

Also look how ridiculously small this email is:

Here are some strawberry floating options about your Sky service (not, hey your price is going up by £14 in the subject header)

Image

It's so obviously the bare minimum effort to inform the customer. They didn't write to us or call us either (but the they strawberry floating would if you tried to cancel).

♥ gaems | t: @GRcade | FB: GRcadeUK | YT: GRcadeVideo | Twitch: GRcadeUK
Image
User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: ‪Sky, Virgin Media and BT all increase their prices - 2019 edition (pg1‬4)
by KK » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:30 pm

There’s Live Chat. It was buried somewhere on their website when I used it last year, nor was it Live any more (it was via text messages back and forth and it took hours) but it is possible to renegotiate/cancel over that. I’d always go for the cancel option myself because only then do they email and send you letters with their best offers.

Image
User avatar
Mafro
Moderator
Joined in 2008
AKA: DAT MAF
Contact:

PostRe: ‪Sky, Virgin Media and BT all increase their prices - 2019 edition (pg1‬4)
by Mafro » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:21 pm

KK wrote:
Mafro wrote:Wonder how much of a hit NowTV is taking now GoT is no more.

I was looking at their on-demand section yesterday (I'm currently getting it free for 9 months) and there was nothing really there worth watching on a monthly basis. Once you've cleaned out Sky Atlantic it's a pile of shite.

Not the only price increase coming either, as later this year if you (finally!) want to Chris Accaboosty the picture quality up to 1080p they want another £3 quid from you.

Image

Wow :lol: I didn't even know about this. I bet the picture quality is still poor regardless. Gouging banana splits.

The on-demand selection really isn't that good, especially given how often and how quickly they remove stuff. Far too often I've went to catch up on a series that was airing at the time and it only had the last few episodes because the rest had "expired" into the ether.

HSH28 wrote:Assmung you ever get one that is.

Blog | Twitter

Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: abcd, Blue Eyes, Cuttooth, Garth, Google [Bot], Lex-Man, LightWanderer, massimo, MSN [Bot], Oblomov Boblomov, Parksey, Photek, Poser, Preezy, Saint of Killers, Snowcannon, Squinty, wensleydale and 41 guests