Songs you dislike by artists you like

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Squinty
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Norn Oirland

PostRe: Songs you dislike by artists you like
by Squinty » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:59 pm

Blue Eyes wrote:Falling To Pieces by Faith No More is a cheesy piece of gooseberry fool.


I love this song!

Edit - actually wait. I thought this was the opener on The Real Thing. Carry on.

Last edited by Squinty on Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Corazon de Leon
Doctor ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Deadpool / sntaa

PostRe: Songs you dislike by artists you like
by Corazon de Leon » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:00 pm

Rocsteady wrote:
Mafro wrote:
Tomous wrote:Come on now, Hey Ya is an absolute classic.

Got sick of hearing it on constant rotation everywhere when it came out. Roses was in a similar vein but is sooooo much better


Completely agree.

They peaked with ATLiens


Ooft, controversial. Genuinely think Aquemini is their best and Stankonia a close second.

Image
User avatar
Cumberdanes
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: Sunderland

PostRe: Songs you dislike by artists you like
by Cumberdanes » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:03 pm

As much as I love their earlier material I struggle to listen to anything by Less Than Jake after Borders and Boundaries. They probably peaked with Losing Streak or Hello Rockview.

Image

Image
User avatar
JT986M2
Member
Joined in 2020
Location: Scotland

PostRe: Songs you dislike by artists you like
by JT986M2 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:24 pm

The Offspring
They have had a bad habit (pun intended) on a couple of their post-Americana albums of having a token cheesy pop song (seeking the Pretty Fly gold at the end of the rainbow). So for that reason 'California Cruising' from the 'Days Go By' album comes to mind. Christ, it's awful. The 'The Worst Hangover Ever' song from 'Splinter' is a close second.

Alter Bridge
The song 'Godspeed' from the 'Walk the Sky' album. I just don't like the chorus specifically. Both the lyrics and the change in key.

Ignite
'Begin Again' on 'A War Against You' is a really rubbish album opener. The thing is, it's just the first 15 seconds and to a lesser extent, the pre-chorus vocals. The rest of the song is okay. However, I just can't listen to the opening. Not sure what they were thinking with the Bruce Dickinson style vocals at the beginning


The rest I am afraid is going to be albums rather than songs.

Queen
Hot Space. The only album of theirs I just cannot get on with and it gets a skip each time I go through their discography. 'Back Chat' is probably the worst although I'm not going all the way back through it to confirm! 'Put Out The Fire' is the only song that sounds anything remotely like them. Under Pressure is a good song, but still doesn't sound like them.

Machine Head
Whatever they were doing on the 'Catharsis' album and their matching stage costumes. Even their foray into Nu Metal was better. If I had to pick one song specifically it would be 'Bastards' which sounds completely out of place both in the album and their entire back catalogue.

Metallica
The 'Lulu' album as a whole. It's literally the worst album out of any of my favourite bands. I can have a go at the albums above but they have some good songs in them, even if it doesn't fit the band's M.O. There is nothing redeeming about this album at all. Picking one it'd be 'Junior Dad' which is 20 minutes of just pointlessness. Only Dream Theater can make interesting 20 minute songs. Even Megadeth's 'Super Collider' album (an often cited misstep) is a significantly better and more cohesive album.

Last edited by JT986M2 on Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Corazon de Leon
Doctor ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Deadpool / sntaa

PostRe: Songs you dislike by artists you like
by Corazon de Leon » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:25 pm

Anything after Splinter is essentially unlistenable for me, from The Offspring. It's telling that the best song on Days Gone By was a cover of Dirty Magic, from their second album.

Image
User avatar
JT986M2
Member
Joined in 2020
Location: Scotland

PostRe: Songs you dislike by artists you like
by JT986M2 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:31 pm

Corazon de Leon wrote:Anything after Splinter is essentially unlistenable for me, from The Offspring. It's telling that the best song on Days Gone By was a cover of Dirty Magic, from their second album.


Although I wasn't a fan on the first listen 'Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace' is a very good album. Definitely deserves a listen.

There are a few good songs on the 'Days Go By' album but 'The Future Is Now' is the best. 'Secrets From The Underground' is a close second.

User avatar
Corazon de Leon
Doctor ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Deadpool / sntaa

PostRe: Songs you dislike by artists you like
by Corazon de Leon » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:32 pm

JT986M2 wrote:
Corazon de Leon wrote:Anything after Splinter is essentially unlistenable for me, from The Offspring. It's telling that the best song on Days Gone By was a cover of Dirty Magic, from their second album.


Although I wasn't a fan on the first listen 'Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace' is a very good album. Definitely deserves a listen.

There are a few good songs on the 'Days Go By' album but 'The Future Is Now' is the best. 'Secrets From The Underground' is a close second.


I thought Rise and Fall had a few good songs but then there was one that was basically a direct rip from a Green Day song (I think Wake Me When September Ends) and another that took a riff from one of their own Americana-era songs and I just tuned out after that. :lol:

Image
User avatar
rinks
Member
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Aboard the train that goes around the world

PostRe: Songs you dislike by artists you like
by rinks » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:37 pm

JT986M2 wrote:Queen
Hot Space. The only album of theirs I just cannot get on with and it gets a skip each time I go through their discography. 'Back Chat' is probably the worst although I'm not going all the way back through it to confirm! 'Put Out The Fire' is the only song that sounds anything remotely like them. Under Pressure is a good song, but still doesn't sound like them.

Put Out The Fire and Las Palabras.. are good, and I don’t mind Life Is Real. But yeah, Back Chat, Staying Power and Body Language are very poor. I suppose we can indulge Freddie for wanting to explore the club culture he was getting into. But the very best thing about Hot Space is that they rebounded hard from it and came storming back with The Works.

User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Jenuall
Location: 40 light-years outside of the Exeter nebula

PostRe: Songs you dislike by artists you like
by Jenuall » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:38 pm

The Verve - Love is Noise.

In fact basically anything from The Verve after they came back was pretty disappointing. There haven't really been that many successful musical comebacks that I can think of actually!

Image
User avatar
Vermilion
Gnome Thief
Joined in 2018
Location: Everywhere
Contact:

PostRe: Songs you dislike by artists you like
by Vermilion » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:45 pm

Pretty much everything Madonna has produced since her MDNA album.

Rebel Heart was rubbish, and Madame X was even worse!

User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Songs you dislike by artists you like
by Tafdolphin » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:52 pm

The last Arcade Fire album had one song that was up to their usual standard, 2 catchy cheesepuff pieces and the rest was unbearably terrible.

:(

Night Call: a game what I worked on. Out now!
t: @Tafdolphin | Twitch: Tafdolphin
User avatar
Mafro
Moderator
Joined in 2008
AKA: DAT MAF
Contact:

PostRe: Songs you dislike by artists you like
by Mafro » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:57 pm

Bohemian Rapsody. Can't stand it.

Tafdolphin wrote:The last Arcade Fire album had one song that was up to their usual standard, 2 catchy cheesepuff pieces and the rest was unbearably terrible.

:(

Creature Comfort was phenomenal and probably my favourite song of thier's but I can't remember any other songs from that album

HSH28 wrote:Assmung you ever get one that is.

Blog | Twitter
User avatar
sawyerpip
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Songs you dislike by artists you like
by sawyerpip » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:00 pm

Agree on the last Arcade Fire album, it was a major disappointment. I listened to it a handful of times and have never gone back to it, whereas I regularly re-visit the first four albums.

User avatar
Vermilion
Gnome Thief
Joined in 2018
Location: Everywhere
Contact:

PostRe: Songs you dislike by artists you like
by Vermilion » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:01 pm

Mafro wrote:Bohemian Rapsody. Can't stand it.


Image

User avatar
Victor Mildew
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Songs you dislike by artists you like
by Victor Mildew » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:02 pm

Jenuall wrote:The Verve - Love is Noise.

In fact basically anything from The Verve after they came back was pretty disappointing. There haven't really been that many successful musical comebacks that I can think of actually!


On the flip side, sit and wonder and love is noiseare two great opening tracks for that album, yet I can't stand the rest of it.

If you like Ashcroft's solo stuff, I recommend the album 'these people'. Lots of great songs on there.

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.
User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Songs you dislike by artists you like
by Tomous » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:03 pm

I'm a big fan of The Eagles but for some reason I've never really liked Hotel California

Image
User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Songs you dislike by artists you like
by Tafdolphin » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:06 pm

Mafro wrote:Bohemian Rapsody. Can't stand it.

Tafdolphin wrote:The last Arcade Fire album had one song that was up to their usual standard, 2 catchy cheesepuff pieces and the rest was unbearably terrible.

:(

Creature Comfort was phenomenal and probably my favourite song of thier's but I can't remember any other songs from that album


Everything Now was my fave, Creature Comfort and Electric Blue were the other two. Everything else was awful.

Night Call: a game what I worked on. Out now!
t: @Tafdolphin | Twitch: Tafdolphin
User avatar
Skarjo
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Songs you dislike by artists you like
by Skarjo » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:08 pm

I can’t listen to The Ataris anymore because every song is whiney nice-guy ‘feeling cute might shoot up a school later idk’ rock.

‘Your Boyfriend Sucks’ is particularly bad.

Karl wrote:Can't believe I got baited into expressing a political stance on hentai

Skarjo's Scary Stories...
User avatar
Skarjo
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Songs you dislike by artists you like
by Skarjo » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:10 pm

Also ‘When You Dream’ by the Barenaked Ladies. It’s from the album Stunt which is one of their strongest and has literally some of my favourite songs of all time on it, but that final track is strawberry floating wank.

Karl wrote:Can't believe I got baited into expressing a political stance on hentai

Skarjo's Scary Stories...
User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Jenuall
Location: 40 light-years outside of the Exeter nebula

PostRe: Songs you dislike by artists you like
by Jenuall » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:10 pm

Victor Mildew wrote:
Jenuall wrote:The Verve - Love is Noise.

In fact basically anything from The Verve after they came back was pretty disappointing. There haven't really been that many successful musical comebacks that I can think of actually!


On the flip side, sit and wonder and love is noiseare two great opening tracks for that album, yet I can't stand the rest of it.

If you like Ashcroft's solo stuff, I recommend the album 'these people'. Lots of great songs on there.

I think they are the best on the album but still pretty poor compared to the "classic era" stuff.

I must admit that I've never really taken the time to listen to Ashcroft's solo material, I should probably do something about that really

Image

Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 248 guests