Super Smash Bros Ultimate | Nintendo Switch

Anything to do with games at all.
User avatar
HaruKazuhira
Member
Joined in 2018

PostRe: Super Smash Bros Ultimate | Nintendo Switch
by HaruKazuhira » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:23 pm

At first I was tight. But seeing how Byleth plays, I'm legit quite interested in her kit. I've struggled with trying to fight a "sword" fighter that's fun to play in Ult and this might be my answer. Yes it's kinda lame it's another FE rep and I would have much prefered the different weapon moveset idea being used one someone like Monster Hunter. But if the fighter is fun, then I honestly can't complain.

Getting 6 more fighters is also crazy as heck >,>

User avatar
Captain Kinopio
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Herbi
Location: The Observatory

PostRe: Super Smash Bros Ultimate | Nintendo Switch
by Captain Kinopio » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:34 pm

And I thought Dante was a boring choice.

Definitely not getting the next fighter pass until all the characters are revealed.

User avatar
Jezo
Member
Joined in 2015
AKA: Jezo
Contact:

PostRe: Super Smash Bros Ultimate | Nintendo Switch
by Jezo » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:43 pm

Balladeer wrote:I don’t particularly like the copious third-party characters in any case, especially those with low or tenuous links to Nintendo; but I’m with OR on this. The fun of Smash (NB for me) is seeing how characters who were never designed to be in a fighting game can be made fun to use in a fighting game. In this genre they’re fresh and new.

There’s also Ryu and Ken’s use of SF commands. For me, they go entirely against Smash’s original emphasis, that of its simple control system. You can never be as good at using Ryu and Ken without mastering ex-Smash fighting game commands as you can with. That has never sat right with me.

But yep I’d rather it was just Nintendo characters and third-party characters closely associated with Nintendo in any case, which I know makes me an odd one out. Anyway this particular Nintendo character is bobbins.

They don't fit because it's a party game you silly billy

User avatar
Met
Member
Joined in 2015

PostRe: Super Smash Bros Ultimate | Nintendo Switch
by Met » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:44 pm

Jezo wrote:
Balladeer wrote:I don’t particularly like the copious third-party characters in any case, especially those with low or tenuous links to Nintendo; but I’m with OR on this. The fun of Smash (NB for me) is seeing how characters who were never designed to be in a fighting game can be made fun to use in a fighting game. In this genre they’re fresh and new.

There’s also Ryu and Ken’s use of SF commands. For me, they go entirely against Smash’s original emphasis, that of its simple control system. You can never be as good at using Ryu and Ken without mastering ex-Smash fighting game commands as you can with. That has never sat right with me.

But yep I’d rather it was just Nintendo characters and third-party characters closely associated with Nintendo in any case, which I know makes me an odd one out. Anyway this particular Nintendo character is bobbins.

They don't fit because it's a party game you silly billy


I think it's interesting seeing how fighting game characters who were never designed to be in a party game can be made fun to use in a party game.

User avatar
Jezo
Member
Joined in 2015
AKA: Jezo
Contact:

PostRe: Super Smash Bros Ultimate | Nintendo Switch
by Jezo » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:47 pm

Met wrote:
Jezo wrote:
Balladeer wrote:I don’t particularly like the copious third-party characters in any case, especially those with low or tenuous links to Nintendo; but I’m with OR on this. The fun of Smash (NB for me) is seeing how characters who were never designed to be in a fighting game can be made fun to use in a fighting game. In this genre they’re fresh and new.

There’s also Ryu and Ken’s use of SF commands. For me, they go entirely against Smash’s original emphasis, that of its simple control system. You can never be as good at using Ryu and Ken without mastering ex-Smash fighting game commands as you can with. That has never sat right with me.

But yep I’d rather it was just Nintendo characters and third-party characters closely associated with Nintendo in any case, which I know makes me an odd one out. Anyway this particular Nintendo character is bobbins.

They don't fit because it's a party game you silly billy


I think it's interesting seeing how fighting game characters who were never designed to be in a party game can be made fun to use in a party game.

Party games = fun
Fighting games = not fun

Why is this so hard to understand??

User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Super Smash Bros Ultimate | Nintendo Switch
by Tomous » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:48 pm

I agree with Balladeer that we're in the territory of "too many" third party reps. Hopefully Byleth signifies the end and for Fighter Pass 2 they mop up the main absent Nintendo characters.

Image
User avatar
Balladeer
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: Lord's

PostRe: Super Smash Bros Ultimate | Nintendo Switch
by Balladeer » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:53 pm

I would love that.

Rex/Pyra
ARMS rep (Spring Man/Ribbon Girl costumes?)
Vaati
Gen. 8 Pokémon
Karate Joe
Some weird retro character that nobody expected

Only one swordsman there too!

User avatar
HaruKazuhira
Member
Joined in 2018

PostRe: Super Smash Bros Ultimate | Nintendo Switch
by HaruKazuhira » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:08 pm

Vaati is def a dream pick for me so I'd lose it if he got a spot. Still salty Ghirahim got Assist Trophied.

User avatar
Yubel
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: Nowhere
Contact:

PostRe: Super Smash Bros Ultimate | Nintendo Switch
by Yubel » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:36 pm

Sakurai may joke about it, but I can't hide my disappointment with this reveal. I'm so over the Fire Emblem parade.

Image
Image
Youtube - Yubellion

SW-8425-4441-8614
User avatar
shy guy 64
Member
Joined in 2018

PostRe: Super Smash Bros Ultimate | Nintendo Switch
by shy guy 64 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:35 pm

chibi-robo anyone?

Image
User avatar
Qikz
#420BlazeIt ♥
Joined in 2011

PostRe: Super Smash Bros Ultimate | Nintendo Switch
by Qikz » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:39 pm

I don't really mind another fire emblem character but I love fire emblem. The stage looks fun and the characters look awesome <3

Image
The Watching Artist wrote:I feel so inept next to Qikz...
User avatar
ITSMILNER
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: UK

PostRe: Super Smash Bros Ultimate | Nintendo Switch
by ITSMILNER » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:08 pm

I hope Nintendo give FE a rest soon, it’s been way over done the last few years.

Long Live Switch Squad!
User avatar
Chocolate-Milk
Member
Joined in 2015
AKA: Welcome to the party, pal

PostRe: Super Smash Bros Ultimate | Nintendo Switch
by Chocolate-Milk » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:34 pm

I sure did like the four characters I got in this character pack.

Image
It was me, Dio!
User avatar
HaruKazuhira
Member
Joined in 2018

PostRe: Super Smash Bros Ultimate | Nintendo Switch
by HaruKazuhira » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:38 pm

I realised that technically we still got 6 DLC for the first wave if you count Plant lol. It just wasn't part of the Pass. I like that ties together for season 2 tho.

User avatar
Pedz
Twitch Team
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Super Smash Bros Ultimate | Nintendo Switch
by Pedz » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:54 pm

Meh.

Most interesting characters in the pass for me were, I dunno. None. I don't like the Banjo games so Banjo can.strawberry float off. Not really played Persona 5 so Joker can strawberry float off, Terry looked pretty interesting from a more tradiy fighting view, but it's smash and I haven't played as him so he can also strawberry float off. Dragon Quest is a series I've barely touched so Hero can strawberry float off. Another Fire Emblem character can also strawberry float off.

I man buy Mega Man X and Mega Man.exe Mii costumes though.

I hope I get more out of fighter pass 2, though I may wait on that until near the end the pass being revealed.

Image
User avatar
Parksey
Moderator
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Super Smash Bros Ultimate | Nintendo Switch
by Parksey » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:40 pm

Yeah chalk me up as another one disappoint with the Fighter Pass.

I much prefer the series being Nintendo-focused rather than an overall broad "celebration of gaming". It's subjective too, but I also prefer the more cartoony characters than the human or anime-styled one.

Banjo is the only character I'm really bothered about in the current pass. And stuff like the Mii Costumes for Sans and Cuphead would have been much more interesting choices if you were going third party.

For some of the characters it's all about how they fit into a fighting game. But when you put characters from fighting games in, to be it just strikes me as a bit dull.

User avatar
Met
Member
Joined in 2015

PostRe: Super Smash Bros Ultimate | Nintendo Switch
by Met » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:49 am

I've never seen so many people disappointed in crossovers existing in their crossover game.

Turning Smash into Mugen is way more interesting than just adding Light Dark Pit or whatever.

User avatar
Balladeer
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: Lord's

PostRe: Super Smash Bros Ultimate | Nintendo Switch
by Balladeer » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:20 am

Dark Pit < Mugen <<< ARMS dude, say.

Parksey wrote:Yeah chalk me up as another one disappoint with the Fighter Pass.

I much prefer the series being Nintendo-focused rather than an overall broad "celebration of gaming". It's subjective too, but I also prefer the more cartoony characters than the human or anime-styled one.

Banjo is the only character I'm really bothered about in the current pass. And stuff like the Mii Costumes for Sans and Cuphead would have been much more interesting choices if you were going third party.

For some of the characters it's all about how they fit into a fighting game. But when you put characters from fighting games in, to be it just strikes me as a bit dull.

Good to know that I no longer have to express any opinions on Smash as Parksey has all the right ones.

User avatar
Met
Member
Joined in 2015

PostRe: Super Smash Bros Ultimate | Nintendo Switch
by Met » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:24 am

I just don't understand why you'd intentionally limit potential opportunity for hype. There's a difference between wanting a Nintendo character and not wanting a 3rd party character, and the latter feels like cutting your nose.

Also, translating a fighting game character into Smash isn't as simple as just cutting and pasting, so "Oh a fighting game character in Smash is dull because it's just the same" is a pretty silly statement. Smash is not Street Fighter is not King of Fighters.

It would be like transplanting Mario Kart stuff into F-Zero or Forza and expecting it to work without tweaks.

User avatar
Captain Kinopio
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Herbi
Location: The Observatory

PostRe: Super Smash Bros Ultimate | Nintendo Switch
by Captain Kinopio » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:06 am

It's only really the Hero and now Byleth that have been disappointments from this pass in my opinion. They wouldn't be so bad but it's just that they're soooo generic that it's particularly frustrating.

Joker is a bit of a bland fighter but the stage and music plus some of the stylistic things about him are really nice. He also had the best announcement video which is worth something.

Banjo is overall the best addition, the most hype announcement, him being a different creature is also what we need more of. His stage is decent, has a cool moveset and the music is brilliant.

Terry is over looked I think. Ok when he was announced I was pretty meh with everyone else but he's probably the best playing of all the new additions. The KoF stage is also really nice and has a cool variation on Smashing people off the stage.

I don't know what people have against 3rd part characters, I love having them added and let's face it they're scraping the barrel a bit for Nintendo additions. I really hope they don't have so many humans for the next fighter pass though or at least pick more interesting ones that don't use swords.


Return to “Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: andretmzt, BAKA, BTB, KK, Lime, Memento Mori, Monkey Man, more heat than light, Nibble, Photek, Rax, Samuel_1, Tsunade and 49 guests