The Snooker thread!

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
Something Fishy

PostRe: The Snooker thread!
by Something Fishy » Mon May 07, 2012 5:10 pm

Carter seems to be coming back at him. Go the sense Ron is losing concentration here.

Something Fishy

PostRe: The Snooker thread!
by Something Fishy » Mon May 07, 2012 8:39 pm

Well he had a go but Ronnie was too good.

SugarCubes
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: The Snooker thread!
by SugarCubes » Mon May 07, 2012 8:44 pm

Ebdon is a total knobber.

User avatar
Denster
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Snooker thread!
by Denster » Mon May 07, 2012 9:36 pm

Great stuff from Ronnie. Consummate performance.

Get the kite, Beavis.
User avatar
Zellery
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Snooker thread!
by Zellery » Mon May 07, 2012 11:15 pm

Ronnie! \o/

The best player to ever lift a cue. Not my words but the words of Stephen Hendry and I agree with him wholeheartedly.

He's certainly the greatest player I've ever had the pleasure of watching. I just hope he doesn't retire just yet as he's got more World titles in him. :wub:

User avatar
Vermin
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: TimeGhost

PostRe: The Snooker thread!
by Vermin » Mon May 07, 2012 11:58 pm

Can't stand Ronnie. Nasty piece of work.

User avatar
kommissarboris
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: belfast

PostRe: The Snooker thread!
by kommissarboris » Tue May 08, 2012 1:31 am

Zellery wrote:The best player to ever lift a cue. Not my words but the words of Stephen Hendry and I agree with him wholeheartedly.


best of this generation, but not the best over all imo.

Image




go to 3.05.

pissed it all away, very sad, but the stuff i've seen of his, some of it is just impossible, how the strawberry float?!?!

The oppressed are allowed once every few years to decide which particular representatives of the oppressing class are to represent and repress them in parliament.

Image
User avatar
Slimgrady
Member
Joined in 2010
Location: Cork

PostRe: The Snooker thread!
by Slimgrady » Tue May 08, 2012 1:53 am

kommissarboris wrote:

Unreal stuff!Ive been playing a lot of snooker recently,on Fridays I go out and get pissed after it,clearly im doing things in the wrong order!

Image
User avatar
Denster
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Snooker thread!
by Denster » Tue May 08, 2012 1:55 am

Higgins isn't even in the top three.

Get the kite, Beavis.
User avatar
Slimgrady
Member
Joined in 2010
Location: Cork

PostRe: The Snooker thread!
by Slimgrady » Tue May 08, 2012 2:03 am

Denster wrote:Higgins isn't even in the top three.

If you're talking about consistency you're right.But players playing at their best,there is an argument to be made for him.

Image
User avatar
Denster
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Snooker thread!
by Denster » Tue May 08, 2012 3:33 am

No there isn't. He was only at the top for a tiny fraction of time. Davis, Ray Reardon, Hendry all had talent (and could do trick shots) but they married it with application and endless practise. Not partying and getting pissed like Higgins and Jimmy White.

Higgins had great natural talent - one of the best but it was only in potential. Sadly he'll be remembered for what he could have achieved instead of what he actually did. O sullivan looked to be going the same way but he has shown you can be precocious and still win things.

Oh and if we're talking pure ability - Sullivan is more talented than Higgins was.

Get the kite, Beavis.
User avatar
Slimgrady
Member
Joined in 2010
Location: Cork

PostRe: The Snooker thread!
by Slimgrady » Tue May 08, 2012 4:04 am

Ya,he won two world championships with trickshots and potential.No need to say "He was only at the top for a tiny fraction of time",clearly I know that by saying he wasnt consistent.If you understood what I actually said I meant that at his best he was just as good if not better than any other man thats ever played the game,and a lot of those men have already said that about him.

Image
User avatar
Pancake
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Snooker thread!
by Pancake » Tue May 08, 2012 6:23 pm

SugarCubes wrote:Ebdon is a total knobber.

I love Peter Ebdon! He's eccentric and therefore interesting. I even like his excruciating brand of slow snooker because it's simply another side to his eccentricity! :wub:

User avatar
kommissarboris
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: belfast

PostRe: The Snooker thread!
by kommissarboris » Tue May 08, 2012 11:57 pm

Pancake wrote:
SugarCubes wrote:Ebdon is a total knobber.

I love Peter Ebdon! He's eccentric and therefore interesting. I even like his excruciating brand of slow snooker because it's simply another side to his eccentricity! :wub:


:D

i remember he destroyed O'Sullivan by deliberately taking really long times over shots, bascially infuriating, and frustrating Ronnie into errors when he got to the table.

good player, but not the best to watch.

The oppressed are allowed once every few years to decide which particular representatives of the oppressing class are to represent and repress them in parliament.

Image
User avatar
Denster
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Snooker thread!
by Denster » Wed May 09, 2012 12:02 am

Slimgrady wrote:Ya,he won two world championships with trickshots and potential.No need to say "He was only at the top for a tiny fraction of time",clearly I know that by saying he wasnt consistent.If you understood what I actually said I meant that at his best he was just as good if not better than any other man thats ever played the game,and a lot of those men have already said that about him.



At his best George best was as good as Pele. Pele even said so. Like Higgins, though he wasn't at his best for long enough.
I'll allow that in terms of pure talent Higgins was right up there. Takes more than talent to achieve greatness though. That's why i chose Best as an example - pair of them had all the ability in the world and pissed it away. Shame but it was their choice, i suppose.

Get the kite, Beavis.
User avatar
Pancake
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Snooker thread!
by Pancake » Wed May 09, 2012 12:14 am

kommissarboris wrote:good player, but not the best to watch.

Not even close to being the best to watch but sport is about characters and a colour blind snooker world champion who takes 5 minutes to compile a break of 12 is definitely a character. :wub:

User avatar
Slimgrady
Member
Joined in 2010
Location: Cork

PostRe: The Snooker thread!
by Slimgrady » Wed May 09, 2012 12:17 am

Denster wrote:
Slimgrady wrote:Ya,he won two world championships with trickshots and potential.No need to say "He was only at the top for a tiny fraction of time",clearly I know that by saying he wasnt consistent.If you understood what I actually said I meant that at his best he was just as good if not better than any other man thats ever played the game,and a lot of those men have already said that about him.



At his best George best was as good as Pele. Pele even said so. Like Higgins, though he wasn't at his best for long enough.
I'll allow that in terms of pure talent Higgins was right up there. Takes more than talent to achieve greatness though. That's why i chose Best as an example - pair of them had all the ability in the world and pissed it away. Shame but it was their choice, i suppose.

I was actually going to use the same George Best example but didn't want to point out two great Irish sports stars pissed it away because of drink :fp:

Image
User avatar
kommissarboris
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: belfast

PostRe: The Snooker thread!
by kommissarboris » Wed May 09, 2012 12:20 am

Slimgrady wrote:
Denster wrote:
Slimgrady wrote:Ya,he won two world championships with trickshots and potential.No need to say "He was only at the top for a tiny fraction of time",clearly I know that by saying he wasnt consistent.If you understood what I actually said I meant that at his best he was just as good if not better than any other man thats ever played the game,and a lot of those men have already said that about him.



At his best George best was as good as Pele. Pele even said so. Like Higgins, though he wasn't at his best for long enough.
I'll allow that in terms of pure talent Higgins was right up there. Takes more than talent to achieve greatness though. That's why i chose Best as an example - pair of them had all the ability in the world and pissed it away. Shame but it was their choice, i suppose.

I was actually going to use the same George Best example but didn't want to point out two great Irish sports stars pissed it away because of drink :fp:


lol, just waiting on Mcilroy and old norn iron will have a hat-trick of strawberry float ups.

makes ya proud... :fp:

The oppressed are allowed once every few years to decide which particular representatives of the oppressing class are to represent and repress them in parliament.

Image
User avatar
Slimgrady
Member
Joined in 2010
Location: Cork

PostRe: The Snooker thread!
by Slimgrady » Wed May 09, 2012 12:44 am

kommissarboris wrote:
Slimgrady wrote:
Denster wrote:
Slimgrady wrote:Ya,he won two world championships with trickshots and potential.No need to say "He was only at the top for a tiny fraction of time",clearly I know that by saying he wasnt consistent.If you understood what I actually said I meant that at his best he was just as good if not better than any other man thats ever played the game,and a lot of those men have already said that about him.



At his best George best was as good as Pele. Pele even said so. Like Higgins, though he wasn't at his best for long enough.
I'll allow that in terms of pure talent Higgins was right up there. Takes more than talent to achieve greatness though. That's why i chose Best as an example - pair of them had all the ability in the world and pissed it away. Shame but it was their choice, i suppose.

I was actually going to use the same George Best example but didn't want to point out two great Irish sports stars pissed it away because of drink :fp:


lol, just waiting on Mcilroy and old norn iron will have a hat-trick of strawberry float ups.

makes ya proud... :fp:

Thank God Im from Cork :slol:

Image
User avatar
Captain Kinopio
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Herbi
Location: The Observatory

PostRe: The Snooker thread!
by Captain Kinopio » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:34 pm

Bump

Good to see Ronnie back :mrgreen:


Return to “Stuff”