The Japanese Japanese Anime and Japanese Manga Thread

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Jam-Master Jay
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Lord Hypnos
Location: Stourbridge
Contact:

PostRe: The Japanese Japanese Anime and Japanese Manga Thread
by Jam-Master Jay » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:29 pm

That latest chapter of Boku no Hero Academia... epic moments and feels galore. :datass:

Image
User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: The Japanese Japanese Anime and Japanese Manga Thread
by Lagamorph » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:49 am

The good news? Misty and Brock are coming back to Pokemon, briefly at least.

The bad news?
Image
What the strawberry float is that?!

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Karl_
Nyaaaaaaa~!
Nyaaaaaaa~!
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: The Japanese Japanese Anime and Japanese Manga Thread
by Karl_ » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:28 am

I've only ever seen the first arc of the show (i.e. when Brock & Misty were originally Ash's companions), so I have no idea about the context of how the art style has evolved, but for what it's worth I kind of like it. It's clean and simple and I imagine it lets them focus on having more expressive animation.

Ash's 'freckles' should probably be a bit smaller though to be fair.

User avatar
Ding Dong Merrilly on Hide
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Autobot City

PostRe: The Japanese Japanese Anime and Japanese Manga Thread
by Ding Dong Merrilly on Hide » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:54 pm

Still watching Rorouni Kenshin but I'm not rushing through it like the last couple of animes I watched. Its not that I'm not enjoying it but more a case of doing things other than sitting watching Netflix all day.

Image
User avatar
Saint of Killers
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Japanese Japanese Anime and Japanese Manga Thread
by Saint of Killers » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:41 pm

Ironhide wrote:Still watching Rorouni Kenshin but I'm not rushing through it like the last couple of animes I watched. Its not that I'm not enjoying it but more a case of doing things other than sitting watching Netflix all day.


Nothing wrong with making it last, especially given the fact the 3rd series is all over the place. And it *still* doesn't have a this show leaving on... message attached to it, so you've loads of time yet before they remove it.

Did anyone recommend Hunter x Hunter? That's really good as well but no longer on Netflix. (Taken off somewhat recently.) Easy to obtain via other means if you're so inclined.

Jam-Master Jay wrote:That latest chapter of Boku no Hero Academia... epic moments and feels galore. :datass:


The manga or the anime? I need to get into reading manga. I think a good place to start would be where Berserk anime quality turned to gooseberry fool...

| (•_•)| S: This is the best date I've been on since my last date. PB: This is not a date.
S: Neither was the last one. It was a robbery. M: Really? S: Yeah. She stole my heart. And my crown. (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
User avatar
Met
Member
Joined in 2015

PostRe: The Japanese Japanese Anime and Japanese Manga Thread
by Met » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:51 pm

The only thing to keep in mind with reading Berserk is that it's a very slow burn.

Guts and boat. Guts and boat and their hiatuses. Guts and boat, forever. 7 years Guts and boat.

User avatar
Jam-Master Jay
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Lord Hypnos
Location: Stourbridge
Contact:

PostRe: The Japanese Japanese Anime and Japanese Manga Thread
by Jam-Master Jay » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:58 pm

Saint of Killers wrote:
Jam-Master Jay wrote:That latest chapter of Boku no Hero Academia... epic moments and feels galore. :datass:


The manga or the anime? I need to get into reading manga. I think a good place to start would be where Berserk anime quality turned to gooseberry fool...


The manga that time, although the most recent episode was pretty great too.

The problem with the Berserk anime is that even the original 1997 version cut parts of the story out and really could have done with one more episodes to tidy up the ending. If you don't want to miss anything I'd honestly recommend reading from the beginning, or at the very least from volume 10 for the rescue arc as a number of things are changed or missing from this point onward. Plus, who doesn't enjoy reliving The Eclipse one more time? :shifty: If you want to rinse the memory of the recent anime away then chapter 79 is a good place to start.

It's great to read, but once you're up-to-date you'll experience the agony of hiatus-after-hiatus.

Image
User avatar
Saint of Killers
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Japanese Japanese Anime and Japanese Manga Thread
by Saint of Killers » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:33 pm

:!:



Only downside is it requires Adobe Flash :dread: Solution: install it on a browser you'll only use to read the comic.

| (•_•)| S: This is the best date I've been on since my last date. PB: This is not a date.
S: Neither was the last one. It was a robbery. M: Really? S: Yeah. She stole my heart. And my crown. (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
User avatar
Saint of Killers
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Japanese Japanese Anime and Japanese Manga Thread
by Saint of Killers » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:44 pm

Met wrote:The only thing to keep in mind with reading Berserk is that it's a very slow burn.

Guts and boat. Guts and boat and their hiatuses. Guts and boat, forever. 7 years Guts and boat.


*googles*

:lol: Wow. That's a hell of trip. I feel for you guys.

Jam-Master Jay wrote:
Saint of Killers wrote:
Jam-Master Jay wrote:That latest chapter of Boku no Hero Academia... epic moments and feels galore. :datass:


The manga or the anime? I need to get into reading manga. I think a good place to start would be where Berserk anime quality turned to gooseberry fool...


The manga that time, although the most recent episode was pretty great too.

The problem with the Berserk anime is that even the original 1997 version cut parts of the story out and really could have done with one more episodes to tidy up the ending. If you don't want to miss anything I'd honestly recommend reading from the beginning, or at the very least from volume 10 for the rescue arc as a number of things are changed or missing from this point onward. Plus, who doesn't enjoy reliving The Eclipse one more time? :shifty: If you want to rinse the memory of the recent anime away then chapter 79 is a good place to start.

It's great to read, but once you're up-to-date you'll experience the agony of hiatus-after-hiatus.


I've actually had volume 10 in my Amazon wish list for ages. Hopefully it takes me ages to catch up by which time even more volumes will be published! (I hope.)

| (•_•)| S: This is the best date I've been on since my last date. PB: This is not a date.
S: Neither was the last one. It was a robbery. M: Really? S: Yeah. She stole my heart. And my crown. (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
User avatar
Met
Member
Joined in 2015

PostRe: The Japanese Japanese Anime and Japanese Manga Thread
by Met » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:31 pm

It's actually published up to volume 38 in English, which is them just getting off the boat. So it's more or less up to date if that's how you want to run through it.

User avatar
Qikzmas
#420BlazeIt ♥
Joined in 2011

PostRe: The Japanese Japanese Anime and Japanese Manga Thread
by Qikzmas » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:45 pm

Hajimete no Gal is pretty good from what I've seen so far. <3

Image
The Watching Artist wrote:I feel so inept next to Qikz...
User avatar
Karl_
Nyaaaaaaa~!
Nyaaaaaaa~!
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: The Japanese Japanese Anime and Japanese Manga Thread
by Karl_ » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:55 pm

Qikz wrote:Hajimete no Gal is pretty good from what I've seen so far. <3


I have to say I stalled after a few eps. Ecchi isn't really my thing and his awful friends just aren't funny IMO (the fat one :dread: ). Have you seen Oshiete! Galko-chan? It has a similar aesthetic but I found it far funnier and far less cringey -- it's actually one of my favourite shorts.

From this season I've been really enjoying Tsurezure Children, Aho-Girl and Gamers!. They're all great but in particular Gamers! is a really entertaining misunderstanding-based romcom that kind of subverts your expectations, if you haven't seen it you should check it out! :toot:

User avatar
Silent Right
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Japanese Japanese Anime and Japanese Manga Thread
by Silent Right » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:57 pm

Met wrote:The only thing to keep in mind with reading Berserk is that it's a very slow burn.

Guts and boat. Guts and boat and their hiatuses. Guts and boat, forever. 7 years Guts and boat.


Image

I've never even read Berserk but even I know about the hiatuses. It's like the Duke Nukem of Manga.

Pelloki on ghosts wrote:Just start masturbating furiously. That'll make them go away.

Image
User avatar
Jam-Master Jay
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Lord Hypnos
Location: Stourbridge
Contact:

PostRe: The Japanese Japanese Anime and Japanese Manga Thread
by Jam-Master Jay » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:22 pm

For those interested, the new Rurouni Kenshin chapter is out on MangaStream.

Image
User avatar
Qikzmas
#420BlazeIt ♥
Joined in 2011

PostRe: The Japanese Japanese Anime and Japanese Manga Thread
by Qikzmas » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:19 am

Karl wrote:
Qikz wrote:Hajimete no Gal is pretty good from what I've seen so far. <3


I have to say I stalled after a few eps. Ecchi isn't really my thing and his awful friends just aren't funny IMO (the fat one :dread: ). Have you seen Oshiete! Galko-chan? It has a similar aesthetic but I found it far funnier and far less cringey -- it's actually one of my favourite shorts.

From this season I've been really enjoying Tsurezure Children, Aho-Girl and Gamers!. They're all great but in particular Gamers! is a really entertaining misunderstanding-based romcom that kind of subverts your expectations, if you haven't seen it you should check it out! :toot:


Oh I watched Galko. This is a different take on the Gal angle though which I appreciate.

Image
The Watching Artist wrote:I feel so inept next to Qikz...
User avatar
Karl_
Nyaaaaaaa~!
Nyaaaaaaa~!
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: The Japanese Japanese Anime and Japanese Manga Thread
by Karl_ » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:25 am

Qikz wrote:Oh I watched Galko. This is a different take on the Gal angle though which I appreciate.


Fair. Do you use any sites to keep track of what you're watching by the way? I'd be interested in stalking you if you do (no creepo). :P

I can PM you my MAL if you use that, I don't use the social side of it at all but I find keeping the list updated strangely satisfying ( :oops: ).

User avatar
Qikzmas
#420BlazeIt ♥
Joined in 2011

PostRe: The Japanese Japanese Anime and Japanese Manga Thread
by Qikzmas » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:52 am

Karl wrote:
Qikz wrote:Oh I watched Galko. This is a different take on the Gal angle though which I appreciate.


Fair. Do you use any sites to keep track of what you're watching by the way? I'd be interested in stalking you if you do (no creepo). :P

I can PM you my MAL if you use that, I don't use the social side of it at all but I find keeping the list updated strangely satisfying ( :oops: ).


I used to keep a MAL, but I haven't updated it in forever. :dread:

Image
The Watching Artist wrote:I feel so inept next to Qikz...
User avatar
Silent Right
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Japanese Japanese Anime and Japanese Manga Thread
by Silent Right » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:56 pm

So are there any torrent sites that still work?

I want to try watching that Gal show but it looks like Tokyo tosho is down and I know Nyann torrents also doesn't work anymore.

Also what torrent client do you guys use? I've heard uTorrent is now crap and filled with adware/bitcoin miners

Pelloki on ghosts wrote:Just start masturbating furiously. That'll make them go away.

Image
User avatar
Karl_
Nyaaaaaaa~!
Nyaaaaaaa~!
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: The Japanese Japanese Anime and Japanese Manga Thread
by Karl_ » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:59 pm

I just pay for a Crunchyroll subscription :simper:

User avatar
Karl_
Nyaaaaaaa~!
Nyaaaaaaa~!
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: The Japanese Japanese Anime and Japanese Manga Thread
by Karl_ » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:01 pm

Also, I just watched the last ep of Sakura Quest and I already miss it :( what a great show!


Return to “Stuff”