The Board Game Thread

Fed up talking videogames? Why?

Do you play board games?

Hells yeah! I'm a board game geek!
52
46%
I don't but would like to get into them...
36
32%
You mean, like Snakes & Ladders? :shifty:
20
18%
No way! They're for nerds!
5
4%
 
Total votes: 113
User avatar
Victor Mildew
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: The Board Game Thread
by Victor Mildew » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:21 pm

We beat the tutorial finale on descent last Saturday, it was a great and challenging campaign. We're going to tackle a proper campaign next, which apparently is a good 20 or so hours split across 2 acts.

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.
fry87
Member
Joined in 2018

PostRe: The Board Game Thread
by fry87 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:25 am

Bought and received a few games in the run up to and over Christmas.

Tried 7 Wonders: Duel at the weekend. An interesting change to it's bigger brother and made for a compelling 2 player experience. Having initially feared I'd lose to military power I ended up winning with science. Definitely see us playing more of this to see the different strategies. Would certainly recommend to anyone after a good 2 player game.

Our new favourite though is Terraforming Mars. Such a well designed game. It's slow and regularly takes us between 2-3 hours to complete (largely down to my slow rate of play :fp: ) but there's so much strategy that even in our limited plays we've seen very different strategies pay dividends. May look into the expansions once we've enjoyed the base game some more, although it's hard to see how they would significantly improve such a good game.

User avatar
Hexx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Board Game Thread
by Hexx » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:29 am

fry87 wrote:Our new favourite though is Terraforming Mars. Such a well designed game. It's slow and regularly takes us between 2-3 hours to complete (largely down to my slow rate of play :fp: ) but there's so much strategy that even in our limited plays we've seen very different strategies pay dividends. May look into the expansions once we've enjoyed the base game some more, although it's hard to see how they would significantly improve such a good game.


One of the xpacs (I want to say Prelude but don't hold me to that) speeds up the start of the game a fair bit

fry87
Member
Joined in 2018

PostRe: The Board Game Thread
by fry87 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:37 am

Hexx wrote:
fry87 wrote:Our new favourite though is Terraforming Mars. Such a well designed game. It's slow and regularly takes us between 2-3 hours to complete (largely down to my slow rate of play :fp: ) but there's so much strategy that even in our limited plays we've seen very different strategies pay dividends. May look into the expansions once we've enjoyed the base game some more, although it's hard to see how they would significantly improve such a good game.


One of the xpacs (I want to say Prelude but don't hold me to that) speeds up the start of the game a fair bit

Yeah I'd read something to that effect. Sounds good as it's true the early rounds can be slow as you try to increase production - and this is just playing 2 player so would likely be even slower with a higher player count I'd imagine!

User avatar
Zilnad
Member
Joined in 2019

PostRe: The Board Game Thread
by Zilnad » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:23 am

I love Terraforming Mars and bought an analogue copy after getting into the digital version on Steam. But I think it's a bit too slow and mathsy for my wife and maybe my group as well.

Do you reckon the Prelude expansion will change the pace enough to save it from joining Twilight Struggle and Star Wars Rebellion in my pile of "best games that no one will play with me"?

Good call on 7 Wonders Duel by the way. It's probably mine and my wife's most played game together and we're very evenly matched. Every game is a real clash. I've considered buying the expansion when we fill up the scoring notepad but I've heard it makes the game a bit too long and busy for what it is.

fry87
Member
Joined in 2018

PostRe: The Board Game Thread
by fry87 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:05 pm

Zilnad wrote:Good call on 7 Wonders Duel by the way. It's probably mine and my wife's most played game together and we're very evenly matched. Every game is a real clash. I've considered buying the expansion when we fill up the scoring notepad but I've heard it makes the game a bit too long and busy for what it is.

Yeah 7 Wonders Duel is very good, along with Jaipur it's probably one of the best 2 player only games I've played.

Hadn't really looked into the expansion but I'm not sure I like the idea of the game being extended too much as I found the base games play time good!

User avatar
Zilnad
Member
Joined in 2019

PostRe: The Board Game Thread
by Zilnad » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:45 pm

I was looking to buy Twilight Imperium 4th Edition this year but it now appears to be sold out everywhere in the UK, unless you pay twice as much for it on eBay.

I suppose I should be glad that I haven't parted with £100 but I was really keen to get some friends together for a big TI day.

Has anyone here got, or played, TI4? Is it all that?


Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: floydfreak, Godzilla, Jamo3103, Pedz, satriales, Snowcannon, Somebody Else's Problem, Trelliz, Vermilion and 84 guests