The Camera Thread

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Grumpy David
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Cubeamania

PostRe: The Camera Thread
by Grumpy David » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:29 pm

Get this badass camera: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-GC100-Galaxy-Camera-Optical/dp/tech-data/B009K27FMK/ref=de_a_smtd
I know the price will be too high, I just think it's a very cool product and normally I hate things which adds to the cost of a camera without actually making it better - e.g. GPS on a camera, total gimmick.


Cheaper options:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/-/dp/B007JSZX0S?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008N8NZD0/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=photo

User avatar
IGM
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Camera Thread
by IGM » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:57 pm

Grumpy David wrote:Get this badass camera: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-GC100-Galaxy-Camera-Optical/dp/tech-data/B009K27FMK/ref=de_a_smtd
I know the price will be too high, I just think it's a very cool product and normally I hate things which adds to the cost of a camera without actually making it better - e.g. GPS on a camera, total gimmick.


Cheaper options:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/-/dp/B007JSZX0S?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008N8NZD0/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=photo


Thanks Dave! You're a lot nicer than your username suggests, you know.

Image
User avatar
ignition
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Camera Thread
by ignition » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:41 pm

Been looking to get into photography properly as a hobby for a while now and a friend of mine is upgrading from his Canon 1000D to a 60D soon and is selling off all his old kit as a package.

Included is:

Canon 1000D body
Canon kit lens
Canon wide angle lens
Canon portrait lens
Tamron telephoto lens (with macro)
Tripod
Waterproof compartmented bag
2x 4gb card
8gb card

All in immaculate condition

£650

Thoughts? Should I bite his hand off?

Image
User avatar
Ad7
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: The Camera Thread
by Ad7 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:51 pm

Yeah I'd go for it, maybe try and get it for 600 but it's a great way to start. Speaking as an armature 60D user, I'd say you can't go wrong :wub:

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.
User avatar
$ilva $hadow
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Camera Thread
by $ilva $hadow » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:47 pm

ignition wrote:Been looking to get into photography properly as a hobby for a while now and a friend of mine is upgrading from his Canon 1000D to a 60D soon and is selling off all his old kit as a package.

Included is:

Canon 1000D body
Canon kit lens
Canon wide angle lens
Canon portrait lens
Tamron telephoto lens (with macro)
Tripod
Waterproof compartmented bag
2x 4gb card
8gb card

All in immaculate condition

£650

Thoughts? Should I bite his hand off?



No dude, that's garbage. The lenses may be okay, but if you're spending 650 quid on a kit, don't buy any old models. Technology lately has been setting new standards, moreso than a few years ago. I have the D90, and the step up in picture quality from 2010 to now is insane. The cheaper model cameras can now outperform my camera which cost about 600quid with a kit lens.

User avatar
Dual
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Stool Bloke

PostRe: The Camera Thread
by Dual » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:52 pm

He's getting 4 lenses and a (good) body for £650. That's a bargain.

User avatar
Ad7
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: The Camera Thread
by Ad7 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:55 pm

Dual wrote:He's getting 4 lenses and a (good) body for £650. That's a bargain.

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.
User avatar
Knoyleo
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Camera Thread
by Knoyleo » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:17 pm

>wide angle lens
>portrait lens
>telephoto lens

Do you even focal lengths?

User avatar
Harry Bizzle
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Camera Thread
by Harry Bizzle » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:01 am

Dual wrote:He's getting 4 lenses and a (good) body for £650. That's a bargain.


As Knoyleo says, it depends on what the lenses are.

The 1000D is not a good body, either. The sensor is completely and utterly out of date and has horrendous low light performance.


See if you can get the lenses from him seperately and get a 600D or something, instead.

And you probably don't need 4 lenses, either. Drop the telephoto and get the wideangle and the kit lens/portrait lens. I'm guessing by "portrait lens" he means 50mm 1.8, as there isn't a cheap Canon 35mm and tbh a 50mm on a crop body is going to be problematic if it's your only lens and you're better off with a kit lens for the most part.

If it's the 30mm f/2 that's even better but I've never heard of a 30/35mm being described as a portrait lens.

instagram: @habiz
User avatar
Exxy
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Dodems

PostRe: The Camera Thread
by Exxy » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:28 pm

Take the lenses and run.

User avatar
$ilva $hadow
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Camera Thread
by $ilva $hadow » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:09 pm

It's a pretty garbage deal he's getting. If it was 300 quid then okay, but 650 for that outdated junk? No way.

User avatar
ignition
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Camera Thread
by ignition » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:16 pm

Hmm I'm not sure of the focal lengths of each lens, I'll ask him and get back to you on that!

Is the 1000d really that bad? I've seen a fair few of the pictures he's produced with it and I must say I was very impressed! But then again, my frame of reference is primarily with my Lumix compact I've been using for the last few years.

Looking at your advice on getting the 600d instead, Amazon appears to sell it with an 18-55mm lens for £419. Does that represent good value? If I were to hypothetically go for this, which of the lenses do you think would be best to get from my mate to accompany it?

Sorry I'm a bit of a noob with all this; it's a lot of money to spend, so I want to make sure I get the best possible value. Very much appreciate the advice!

Image
User avatar
ignition
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Camera Thread
by ignition » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:25 pm

Not sure how to edit on tapatalk... But the focal lengths are as follows:

Canon 50mm
Canon 18-55mm
Canon 10-22mm
Tamron 70-300mm

Image
User avatar
$ilva $hadow
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Camera Thread
by $ilva $hadow » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:13 pm

What lenses are they? Seriously it sounds like he's ripping you off. There are gooseberry fool canon lenses, and there are good canon lenses.

Honestly, strawberry float that deal, he's selling you a three to four year old camera which for its time was pretty good, but relative to now, it's garbage because the new models, even the lower end models, outperform that model. You can buy 16gb high speed memory cards on amazon for like 12 quid.


The 50mm prime is probably decent, the 10-22mm is decent, the 18-55 is without a doubt the stock lens and absolute garbage, they cost a tenner or so for canon banana splits to produce. The tamron 70-300 is probably good, but why the hell do you want a three year old used lens thrown in a deal that's overpriced for old gear?

I'm telling you man, you wanna spend 650? You buy your new camera + lens, a 16gb memory card and a cover for your camera. After you start getting comfortable, buy your own gear, like tripod, remote control and extra lenses. You can ebay used lenses if you want, or if you really want to do your mate a favour you can just buy his lenses, but avoid the entire package. It's an old as strawberry float camera that will break in the short time period that you have it. Let someone else buy it.

User avatar
Harry Bizzle
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Camera Thread
by Harry Bizzle » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:38 pm

That wide angle lens is very expensive. It's like £600 by itself.

Make him an offer for that and perhaps the 50mm (can be had for like £80 new).


Personally, I have no use for a telephoto lens. I like photographing landscapes, and wideangles cost big bucks, unfortunately.



I think I'm going to order the 35mm Nikon f/1.8 today. There's £20 cashback on it at the moment. £25 on the 40mm macro, too, but it's working distance is ridiculous and it's more than a full stop slower than the f/1.8. And more expensive.


$ilva $hadow wrote:the 18-55 is without a doubt the stock lens and absolute garbage, they cost a tenner or so for canon banana splits to produce.


>2013
>Still thinking kit lenses are rubbish.


I too hate sharp, cheap lenses with image stabilization, extremely close focusing and the closest thing you will get to a wideangle for less than £400.

instagram: @habiz
User avatar
Foxhound
Member
Joined in 2011

PostRe: The Camera Thread
by Foxhound » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:35 pm

The 10-22 is more like £400. But yeah, it seems like a pretty good deal, but as other have said, better if you can just get the 50, the 10-22 (used both and both are great) and then buy a separate body. Not sure about the Tamron, I've never used it myself, but assuming it's this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tamron-AF-70-30 ... B000HDZAUA it seems to get good reviews. TBH, the lenses on their own are almost worth that much, so it's still a pretty good deal even if you don't want to shell out another £300-400 on a body. I'm also a fan of the kit, as a cheap lens for starting out.

Why is he selling the lenses? He does realise they'll fit on a 60D too? Unless he's getting a 6D?

User avatar
$ilva $hadow
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Camera Thread
by $ilva $hadow » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:04 pm

Harry Bizzle wrote:I think I'm going to order the 35mm Nikon f/1.8 today. There's £20 cashback on it at the moment. £25 on the 40mm macro, too, but it's working distance is ridiculous and it's more than a full stop slower than the f/1.8. And more expensive.


$ilva $hadow wrote:the 18-55 is without a doubt the stock lens and absolute garbage, they cost a tenner or so for canon banana splits to produce.


>2013
>Still thinking kit lenses are rubbish.


I too hate sharp, cheap lenses with image stabilization, extremely close focusing and the closest thing you will get to a wideangle for less than £400.



:lol: shut up harry, why are you so bumflustered that the cheap stock lens is rubbish? You don't have to defend your purchases to the death you know. I'm not impressed with the stock lenses but I'm sure the newer tech body behind it will take advantage of the lens a lot better than the older 1000 he wants to get.

User avatar
Harry Bizzle
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Camera Thread
by Harry Bizzle » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:06 am

As usual, you're wrong. Ken Rockwell has a decent write up on at least the Nikon kit lens. You can read it, if you like but I doubt it'll change your opinion.

The Nikon one is particularly good. The only thing wrong with them is that they're slow lenses and made of cheap plastic.

instagram: @habiz
User avatar
Knoyleo
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Camera Thread
by Knoyleo » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:02 pm

Harry Bizzle wrote:Ken Rockwell

:dread:

Image

User avatar
Exxy
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Dodems

PostRe: The Camera Thread
by Exxy » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:55 pm

The kit kit lens I got with my D3100 is fiiine, just basic. Feels cheap and the focus isn't exactly smooth. Tutors at Uni, who are published photographers, don't have any problem with them either. Good for video though, Vibration Reduction is nice.


Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Denster, Heskimo, MSN [Bot], Snowcannon and 48 guests