The Football Thread 2020/21: Mods plz lock thnx bbz x

Our best bits.
User avatar
Tomous
Member
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: The Football Thread 2020/21: Rafa to Everton? This is a fact.
by Tomous » Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:22 pm

They weren't punished because they are the biggest clubs, simple as that really.

Image
User avatar
Dowbocop
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Football Thread 2020/21: Rafa to Everton? This is a fact.
by Dowbocop » Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:24 pm

Tomous wrote:
Dowbocop wrote:
DML wrote:
Dowbocop wrote:
DML wrote:
TonyDA wrote:How could City buy Kane & Grealish and not break the FFP rules?

Kind of a genuine question, even though I’m aware those rules don’t apply to clubs run as playthings by Middle Eastern states nor Russian oligarchs.


Because they are bullshit.

I'm still waiting for an actual punishment for trying to breakway.

I do think all the English clubs have got away very lightly. I would not have been surprised if we'd all had a deduction either this season or next. I know there was a clause in either the UEFA or PL rules that talked about officially sanctioned competitions but I don't think there was a punishment attached to that, so any sledgehammer punishments would just be rescinded on appeal, causing more embarrassment. I think that's evident with the PL stating that any future transgressions would trigger a thirty point deduction. They would've just done that now if they could've got away with it, but it would just turn into a gigantic legal mess and probably ruin next season's competition by dominating all the headlines (which nobody wants after the last eighteen months).

If it's as easy as it clearly is to evade or reduce punishment for breaking rules in all these flagship initiatives (FFP, tapping up etc), there's no chance of getting a draconian punishment to stick for an offence they hadn't really thought about properly.


I'm just strawberry floating desperate for them to call their bluff. Where are they gonna go? Go into complete uncertainty or take the 1-2 season knockback of a points deduction/transfer embargo? It can't be one rule and one rule for another. I saw my team go down three divisions, and we didn't try and tear the entire fabric of football apart.

But it's not one rule for some and one for another: there wasn't a rule until some clubs took the piss this season, just like there wasn't a rule for adminstration triggering a ten point penalty until teams started taking the piss and flipping out of debts. It's all very well calling a bluff, but if the punishments won't stick then what's the point?



There was a rule:

Except with the prior written approval of the board, during the season a club shall not enter or play its senior men’s first team in any competition other than

L.9.1 – The UEFA Champions League
L.9.2 – The UEFA Europa League
L.9.3 – The FA Cup
L.9.4 – The FA Community Shield
L.9.5 – The Football League Cup or
L.9.6 – Competitions sanctioned by the County Association of which it is a member.”


Yeah, that was the thing I was referencing earlier. However there seems to have been no set punishment for what happens if anyone breaks this rule (from what I've seen), unlike the administration rule which is pretty unambiguous.

Technically Spurs should get a deduction next year because the Conference League isn't on there :slol:

User avatar
Drumstick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: The Football Thread 2020/21: Sancho is a go go!
by Drumstick » Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:13 am

Manchester City have added Chelsea’s England right-back Reece James to their wishlist of players they would like to sign.

Sources have told The Athletic that City manager Pep Guardiola is a huge admirer of the 21-year-old and that his Premier League champions are interested in buying him.

The player still has four years left on his contract, and Chelsea are understandably not looking to sell.

But City think there may still be an opportunity due to Chelsea’s pursuit of Inter Milan right wing-back Achraf Hakimi, who is valued at around £60 million. While Tuchel’s side are in danger of losing out to Paris Saint-Germain for Hakimi, their negotiations with Inter have sent out a message that the European champions have some doubts over James being a first-team regular long-term and see him more as a squad player.

James signed a new deal at Chelsea in January of last year. However, he is still one of the lowest-paid members in Tuchel’s side because he was regarded as just a promising squad member when they agreed terms back then, rather than a consistent member of the starting XI. 

One man should not have this much power in this game. Luckily I'm not an ordinary man.
Image Image Image
User avatar
more heat than light
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: mhtl
Location: Leicestershire

PostRe: The Football Thread 2020/21: Sancho is a go go!
by more heat than light » Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:19 am

I like Southgate. More than happy for us to shithouse 1-0 our way to the trophy thank you very much.

jawafour wrote:You definitely have the biggest one, mhtl - it's strawberry-floatin' massive!
User avatar
Herdanos
Go for it, Danmon!
Joined in 2008
AKA: lol don't ask
Location: Bas-Lag

PostRe: The Football Thread 2020/21: Sancho is a go go!
by Herdanos » Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:46 am

I would take that, but I'm not sure how viable that is against the likes of Germany.

Generating Real Conversations About Digital Entertainment
User avatar
Return_of_the_STAR
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Football Thread 2020/21: Rafa to Everton? This is a fact.
by Return_of_the_STAR » Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:00 pm

Dowbocop wrote:
Tomous wrote:
Dowbocop wrote:
DML wrote:
Dowbocop wrote:
DML wrote:
TonyDA wrote:How could City buy Kane & Grealish and not break the FFP rules?

Kind of a genuine question, even though I’m aware those rules don’t apply to clubs run as playthings by Middle Eastern states nor Russian oligarchs.


Because they are bullshit.

I'm still waiting for an actual punishment for trying to breakway.

I do think all the English clubs have got away very lightly. I would not have been surprised if we'd all had a deduction either this season or next. I know there was a clause in either the UEFA or PL rules that talked about officially sanctioned competitions but I don't think there was a punishment attached to that, so any sledgehammer punishments would just be rescinded on appeal, causing more embarrassment. I think that's evident with the PL stating that any future transgressions would trigger a thirty point deduction. They would've just done that now if they could've got away with it, but it would just turn into a gigantic legal mess and probably ruin next season's competition by dominating all the headlines (which nobody wants after the last eighteen months).

If it's as easy as it clearly is to evade or reduce punishment for breaking rules in all these flagship initiatives (FFP, tapping up etc), there's no chance of getting a draconian punishment to stick for an offence they hadn't really thought about properly.


I'm just strawberry floating desperate for them to call their bluff. Where are they gonna go? Go into complete uncertainty or take the 1-2 season knockback of a points deduction/transfer embargo? It can't be one rule and one rule for another. I saw my team go down three divisions, and we didn't try and tear the entire fabric of football apart.

But it's not one rule for some and one for another: there wasn't a rule until some clubs took the piss this season, just like there wasn't a rule for adminstration triggering a ten point penalty until teams started taking the piss and flipping out of debts. It's all very well calling a bluff, but if the punishments won't stick then what's the point?



There was a rule:

Except with the prior written approval of the board, during the season a club shall not enter or play its senior men’s first team in any competition other than

L.9.1 – The UEFA Champions League
L.9.2 – The UEFA Europa League
L.9.3 – The FA Cup
L.9.4 – The FA Community Shield
L.9.5 – The Football League Cup or
L.9.6 – Competitions sanctioned by the County Association of which it is a member.”


Yeah, that was the thing I was referencing earlier. However there seems to have been no set punishment for what happens if anyone breaks this rule (from what I've seen), unlike the administration rule which is pretty unambiguous.

Technically Spurs should get a deduction next year because the Conference League isn't on there :slol:


This is true :lol: spurs should be kicked out of the Conference League :shifty:

I’ve noticed the World Club Cup isn’t there either.

As you say there was no punishment set out, which was why the clubs agreed to give a goodwill donation as they couldn’t be fined.

User avatar
Dowbocop
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Football Thread 2020/21: Rafa to Everton? This is a fact.
by Dowbocop » Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:20 pm

Return_of_the_STAR wrote:
Dowbocop wrote:
Tomous wrote:
Dowbocop wrote:
DML wrote:
Dowbocop wrote:
DML wrote:
TonyDA wrote:How could City buy Kane & Grealish and not break the FFP rules?

Kind of a genuine question, even though I’m aware those rules don’t apply to clubs run as playthings by Middle Eastern states nor Russian oligarchs.


Because they are bullshit.

I'm still waiting for an actual punishment for trying to breakway.

I do think all the English clubs have got away very lightly. I would not have been surprised if we'd all had a deduction either this season or next. I know there was a clause in either the UEFA or PL rules that talked about officially sanctioned competitions but I don't think there was a punishment attached to that, so any sledgehammer punishments would just be rescinded on appeal, causing more embarrassment. I think that's evident with the PL stating that any future transgressions would trigger a thirty point deduction. They would've just done that now if they could've got away with it, but it would just turn into a gigantic legal mess and probably ruin next season's competition by dominating all the headlines (which nobody wants after the last eighteen months).

If it's as easy as it clearly is to evade or reduce punishment for breaking rules in all these flagship initiatives (FFP, tapping up etc), there's no chance of getting a draconian punishment to stick for an offence they hadn't really thought about properly.


I'm just strawberry floating desperate for them to call their bluff. Where are they gonna go? Go into complete uncertainty or take the 1-2 season knockback of a points deduction/transfer embargo? It can't be one rule and one rule for another. I saw my team go down three divisions, and we didn't try and tear the entire fabric of football apart.

But it's not one rule for some and one for another: there wasn't a rule until some clubs took the piss this season, just like there wasn't a rule for adminstration triggering a ten point penalty until teams started taking the piss and flipping out of debts. It's all very well calling a bluff, but if the punishments won't stick then what's the point?



There was a rule:

Except with the prior written approval of the board, during the season a club shall not enter or play its senior men’s first team in any competition other than

L.9.1 – The UEFA Champions League
L.9.2 – The UEFA Europa League
L.9.3 – The FA Cup
L.9.4 – The FA Community Shield
L.9.5 – The Football League Cup or
L.9.6 – Competitions sanctioned by the County Association of which it is a member.”


Yeah, that was the thing I was referencing earlier. However there seems to have been no set punishment for what happens if anyone breaks this rule (from what I've seen), unlike the administration rule which is pretty unambiguous.

Technically Spurs should get a deduction next year because the Conference League isn't on there :slol:


This is true :lol: spurs should be kicked out of the Conference League :shifty:

I’ve noticed the World Club Cup isn’t there either.

As you say there was no punishment set out, which was why the clubs agreed to give a goodwill donation as they couldn’t be fined.

No no, we can't be having deviations from the rules now, -30 it is :capnscotty:

I do like the idea of some blazered official in the Liverpool County FA office putting aside some admin from the Liverpool Old Boys League to rubber stamp Liverpool going to play in the Club World Cup :lol:

User avatar
Tomous
Member
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: The Football Thread 2020/21: Rafa to Everton? This is a fact.
by Tomous » Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:33 pm

Dowbocop wrote:
Return_of_the_STAR wrote:
Dowbocop wrote:
Tomous wrote:
Dowbocop wrote:
DML wrote:
Dowbocop wrote:
DML wrote:
TonyDA wrote:How could City buy Kane & Grealish and not break the FFP rules?

Kind of a genuine question, even though I’m aware those rules don’t apply to clubs run as playthings by Middle Eastern states nor Russian oligarchs.


Because they are bullshit.

I'm still waiting for an actual punishment for trying to breakway.

I do think all the English clubs have got away very lightly. I would not have been surprised if we'd all had a deduction either this season or next. I know there was a clause in either the UEFA or PL rules that talked about officially sanctioned competitions but I don't think there was a punishment attached to that, so any sledgehammer punishments would just be rescinded on appeal, causing more embarrassment. I think that's evident with the PL stating that any future transgressions would trigger a thirty point deduction. They would've just done that now if they could've got away with it, but it would just turn into a gigantic legal mess and probably ruin next season's competition by dominating all the headlines (which nobody wants after the last eighteen months).

If it's as easy as it clearly is to evade or reduce punishment for breaking rules in all these flagship initiatives (FFP, tapping up etc), there's no chance of getting a draconian punishment to stick for an offence they hadn't really thought about properly.


I'm just strawberry floating desperate for them to call their bluff. Where are they gonna go? Go into complete uncertainty or take the 1-2 season knockback of a points deduction/transfer embargo? It can't be one rule and one rule for another. I saw my team go down three divisions, and we didn't try and tear the entire fabric of football apart.

But it's not one rule for some and one for another: there wasn't a rule until some clubs took the piss this season, just like there wasn't a rule for adminstration triggering a ten point penalty until teams started taking the piss and flipping out of debts. It's all very well calling a bluff, but if the punishments won't stick then what's the point?



There was a rule:

Except with the prior written approval of the board, during the season a club shall not enter or play its senior men’s first team in any competition other than

L.9.1 – The UEFA Champions League
L.9.2 – The UEFA Europa League
L.9.3 – The FA Cup
L.9.4 – The FA Community Shield
L.9.5 – The Football League Cup or
L.9.6 – Competitions sanctioned by the County Association of which it is a member.”


Yeah, that was the thing I was referencing earlier. However there seems to have been no set punishment for what happens if anyone breaks this rule (from what I've seen), unlike the administration rule which is pretty unambiguous.

Technically Spurs should get a deduction next year because the Conference League isn't on there :slol:


This is true :lol: spurs should be kicked out of the Conference League :shifty:

I’ve noticed the World Club Cup isn’t there either.

As you say there was no punishment set out, which was why the clubs agreed to give a goodwill donation as they couldn’t be fined.

No no, we can't be having deviations from the rules now, -30 it is :capnscotty:

I do like the idea of some blazered official in the Liverpool County FA office putting aside some admin from the Liverpool Old Boys League to rubber stamp Liverpool going to play in the Club World Cup :lol:



Not to be a party pooper but I'm sure the board would give written approval for Spurs or anyone to enter a UEFA sanctioned tournament so no rule is being broken ;)

Same with World Club Cup.

Image
User avatar
Mafro
Moderator
Joined in 2008
AKA: DAT MAF
Contact:

PostRe: The Football Thread 2020/21: Rafa to Everton? This is a fact.
by Mafro » Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:46 pm

Cuttooth wrote:Have Palace, Everton, and Spurs managed to embroil themselves in some kind of witch's curse that's preventing them hiring any manager?

This reminds me of that really weird argument on Football Weekly between Barney Ronay and Barry Glendenning.

HSH28 wrote:Assmung you ever get one that is.

Blog | Twitter
User avatar
Cuttooth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Football Thread 2020/21: Rafa to Everton? This is a fact.
by Cuttooth » Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:56 pm

Mafro wrote:
Cuttooth wrote:Have Palace, Everton, and Spurs managed to embroil themselves in some kind of witch's curse that's preventing them hiring any manager?

This reminds me of that really weird argument on Football Weekly between Barney Ronay and Barry Glendenning.

That must be where I got it from. Ronay is an insufferable contrarian when he wants to be. :lol:

User avatar
Photek
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Dublin

PostRe: The Football Thread 2020/21: Sancho is a go go!
by Photek » Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:56 pm

Rafa is going to Everton afaik.

Image
User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Football Thread 2020/21: Sancho is a go go!
by Peter Crisp » Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:21 pm

Just go on the football manager forums and see who the best wonderkids are and buy them.
That's what I'd do.

jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
User avatar
Wedgie
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Football Thread 2020/21: Sancho is a go go!
by Wedgie » Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:39 pm

Photek wrote:Rafa is going to Everton afaik.


:fp:

Image

Denster wrote:My phone messaged me yesterday after i'd encouraged him to download and play the RESi demo.


Super Intelligent Phones Are Here!!!! We are dooooomed!
User avatar
Corazon de Leon
Doctor ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Deadpool / sntaa

PostRe: The Football Thread 2020/21: Sancho is a go go!
by Corazon de Leon » Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:53 am

Anyone watching the A-League grand final? Fake Man City are on the verge of winning it but it’s been comically shite. Quality wise it’s probably on a par with the Scottish League Cup final where Celtic beat Aberdeen 1-0. Boak. :lol:

Image
User avatar
Finiarél
Member
Joined in 2010
Location: Liverpool

PostRe: The Football Thread 2020/21: Sancho is a go go!
by Finiarél » Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:51 am

Peter Crisp wrote:Just go on the football manager forums and see who the best wonderkids are and buy them.
That's what I'd do.


Almost as bad as save scumming.

glowy69 wrote:Being from the hood won't save you from an alien mate.
User avatar
Tomous
Member
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: The Football Thread 2020/21: Sancho is a go go!
by Tomous » Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:18 am

Wedgie wrote:
Photek wrote:Rafa is going to Everton afaik.


:fp:


Why don't you want Rafa? He's a top manager in my opinion.

Image
User avatar
Benzin
Member
Joined in 2011

PostRe: The Football Thread 2020/21: Sancho is a go go!
by Benzin » Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:03 pm

Tomous wrote:
Wedgie wrote:
Photek wrote:Rafa is going to Everton afaik.


:fp:


Why don't you want Rafa? He's a top manager in my opinion.


Seems to be the Liverpool connection and his fairly negative football (at least at Newcastle).

I'd have him at Palace no doubt.

User avatar
Drumstick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: The Football Thread 2020/21: Sancho is a go go!
by Drumstick » Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:30 pm

Benzin wrote:
Tomous wrote:
Wedgie wrote:
Photek wrote:Rafa is going to Everton afaik.

:fp:

Why don't you want Rafa? He's a top manager in my opinion.

Seems to be the Liverpool connection and his fairly negative football (at least at Newcastle).

I'd have him at Palace no doubt.

The football his team at Newcastle played was a product of that club's financial environment and Mike Ashley. Anyone basing an opinion of Rafa solely on his tenure there needs to take a look at themselves.

One man should not have this much power in this game. Luckily I'm not an ordinary man.
Image Image Image
User avatar
gaminglegend
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: North East, UK

PostRe: The Football Thread 2020/21: Sancho is a go go!
by gaminglegend » Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:20 pm

I don't think Rafa was that great at Newcastle to be honest. Even with the financial constraints. I can see why Everton fans don't want him, but you never know he might do the job.

Image
Luno Referral Get £10 worth of Bitcoin for free! - no deposit needed. :o
Download 'Luno' from IOS/Play store - Sign up and enter this code: BPDWESTGRATH
£10 instantly applied
User avatar
Wedgie
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Football Thread 2020/21: Sancho is a go go!
by Wedgie » Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:27 pm

It’s like asking Alex McLeish to come and manage Aston Villa.

Oh wait. They did.

Image

Denster wrote:My phone messaged me yesterday after i'd encouraged him to download and play the RESi demo.


Super Intelligent Phones Are Here!!!! We are dooooomed!

Return to “Archive”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 46 guests