The Football Thread 2020/21: Mods plz lock thnx bbz x

Our best bits.
User avatar
Photek
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Dublin

PostRe: The Football Thread 2020/21: Rafa to Everton? This is a fact.
by Photek » Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:47 pm

Drumstick wrote:

twitter.com/SwissRamble/status/1407214287215550464


Whole thread is worth a read, but this one:

twitter.com/SwissRamble/status/1407216420392480770


:dread:


Imagine the ass pain if I posted this. :lol:

Image
User avatar
Tomous
Member
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: The Football Thread 2020/21: Rafa to Everton? This is a fact.
by Tomous » Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:15 am

I'm totally against foreign owners of football clubs but the counter argument here is the Glazier's greatly improved the commercial revenue at Man United when they came in.

The business model of the leveraged buyout was essentially they believed they could buy the club, saddle it with that debt and service it via improving commercial revenues globally.

I maintain the problem with United is not the amount of money they're spending, it's how they spend it.

Image
User avatar
Dowbocop
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Football Thread 2020/21: Rafa to Everton? This is a fact.
by Dowbocop » Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:51 pm

We're apparently spending fifty million on Ben White.

User avatar
Benzin
Member
Joined in 2011

PostRe: The Football Thread 2020/21: Rafa to Everton? This is a fact.
by Benzin » Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:49 am

Favre agreed but like a dodgy hookup pulled out at the last minute.

Finding managers has been really fun for 3 clubs. At this rate we'll end up with Freedman, Spurs with Mason and Everton with Big Dunc.

User avatar
Cuttooth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Football Thread 2020/21: Rafa to Everton? This is a fact.
by Cuttooth » Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:53 am

Have Palace, Everton, and Spurs managed to embroil themselves in some kind of witch's curse that's preventing them hiring any manager?

User avatar
Tomous
Member
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: The Football Thread 2020/21: Rafa to Everton? This is a fact.
by Tomous » Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:27 am

twitter.com/migueldelaney/status/1408363244314632194




If City sign Kane and Grealish, that'll be the title race over.

Image
User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Jenuall
Location: 40 light-years outside of the Exeter nebula
Contact:

PostRe: The Football Thread 2020/21: Rafa to Everton? This is a fact.
by Jenuall » Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:17 pm

As a Villa fan I'd hate to lose Grealish, but at the same time the prospect of watching him shine for a top team is some compensation.

Officially GRcade's 2nd Best AYAMMM™ Host
Image
User avatar
Curls
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Football Thread 2020/21: Rafa to Everton? This is a fact.
by Curls » Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:34 pm

I really hope Kane flopps at city.

User avatar
TonyDA
Member
Joined in 2016
Location: Brighton, East Sussex

PostRe: The Football Thread 2020/21: Rafa to Everton? This is a fact.
by TonyDA » Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:46 pm

How could City buy Kane & Grealish and not break the FFP rules?

Kind of a genuine question, even though I’m aware those rules don’t apply to clubs run as playthings by Middle Eastern states nor Russian oligarchs.

User avatar
DML
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Football Thread 2020/21: Rafa to Everton? This is a fact.
by DML » Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:54 pm

TonyDA wrote:How could City buy Kane & Grealish and not break the FFP rules?

Kind of a genuine question, even though I’m aware those rules don’t apply to clubs run as playthings by Middle Eastern states nor Russian oligarchs.


Because they are bullshit.

I'm still waiting for an actual punishment for trying to breakway.

Image
User avatar
Photek
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Dublin

PostRe: The Football Thread 2020/21: Rafa to Everton? This is a fact.
by Photek » Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:05 pm

Tomous wrote:

twitter.com/migueldelaney/status/1408363244314632194




If City sign Kane and Grealish, that'll be the title race over.


Football Manager Cheat Code Club.

Image
User avatar
Tomous
Member
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: The Football Thread 2020/21: Rafa to Everton? This is a fact.
by Tomous » Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:36 pm

TonyDA wrote:How could City buy Kane & Grealish and not break the FFP rules?

Kind of a genuine question, even though I’m aware those rules don’t apply to clubs run as playthings by Middle Eastern states nor Russian oligarchs.




They broke the rules before and won at Court of Appeal, they'll probably be even worse now

Image
User avatar
Dowbocop
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Football Thread 2020/21: Rafa to Everton? This is a fact.
by Dowbocop » Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:17 pm

DML wrote:
TonyDA wrote:How could City buy Kane & Grealish and not break the FFP rules?

Kind of a genuine question, even though I’m aware those rules don’t apply to clubs run as playthings by Middle Eastern states nor Russian oligarchs.


Because they are bullshit.

I'm still waiting for an actual punishment for trying to breakway.

I do think all the English clubs have got away very lightly. I would not have been surprised if we'd all had a deduction either this season or next. I know there was a clause in either the UEFA or PL rules that talked about officially sanctioned competitions but I don't think there was a punishment attached to that, so any sledgehammer punishments would just be rescinded on appeal, causing more embarrassment. I think that's evident with the PL stating that any future transgressions would trigger a thirty point deduction. They would've just done that now if they could've got away with it, but it would just turn into a gigantic legal mess and probably ruin next season's competition by dominating all the headlines (which nobody wants after the last eighteen months).

If it's as easy as it clearly is to evade or reduce punishment for breaking rules in all these flagship initiatives (FFP, tapping up etc), there's no chance of getting a draconian punishment to stick for an offence they hadn't really thought about properly.

User avatar
DML
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Football Thread 2020/21: Rafa to Everton? This is a fact.
by DML » Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:37 pm

Dowbocop wrote:
DML wrote:
TonyDA wrote:How could City buy Kane & Grealish and not break the FFP rules?

Kind of a genuine question, even though I’m aware those rules don’t apply to clubs run as playthings by Middle Eastern states nor Russian oligarchs.


Because they are bullshit.

I'm still waiting for an actual punishment for trying to breakway.

I do think all the English clubs have got away very lightly. I would not have been surprised if we'd all had a deduction either this season or next. I know there was a clause in either the UEFA or PL rules that talked about officially sanctioned competitions but I don't think there was a punishment attached to that, so any sledgehammer punishments would just be rescinded on appeal, causing more embarrassment. I think that's evident with the PL stating that any future transgressions would trigger a thirty point deduction. They would've just done that now if they could've got away with it, but it would just turn into a gigantic legal mess and probably ruin next season's competition by dominating all the headlines (which nobody wants after the last eighteen months).

If it's as easy as it clearly is to evade or reduce punishment for breaking rules in all these flagship initiatives (FFP, tapping up etc), there's no chance of getting a draconian punishment to stick for an offence they hadn't really thought about properly.


I'm just strawberry floating desperate for them to call their bluff. Where are they gonna go? Go into complete uncertainty or take the 1-2 season knockback of a points deduction/transfer embargo? It can't be one rule and one rule for another. I saw my team go down three divisions, and we didn't try and tear the entire fabric of football apart.

Image
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

PostRe: The Football Thread 2020/21: Rafa to Everton? This is a fact.
by Moggy » Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:11 pm

DML wrote:
Dowbocop wrote:
DML wrote:
TonyDA wrote:How could City buy Kane & Grealish and not break the FFP rules?

Kind of a genuine question, even though I’m aware those rules don’t apply to clubs run as playthings by Middle Eastern states nor Russian oligarchs.


Because they are bullshit.

I'm still waiting for an actual punishment for trying to breakway.

I do think all the English clubs have got away very lightly. I would not have been surprised if we'd all had a deduction either this season or next. I know there was a clause in either the UEFA or PL rules that talked about officially sanctioned competitions but I don't think there was a punishment attached to that, so any sledgehammer punishments would just be rescinded on appeal, causing more embarrassment. I think that's evident with the PL stating that any future transgressions would trigger a thirty point deduction. They would've just done that now if they could've got away with it, but it would just turn into a gigantic legal mess and probably ruin next season's competition by dominating all the headlines (which nobody wants after the last eighteen months).

If it's as easy as it clearly is to evade or reduce punishment for breaking rules in all these flagship initiatives (FFP, tapping up etc), there's no chance of getting a draconian punishment to stick for an offence they hadn't really thought about properly.


I'm just strawberry floating desperate for them to call their bluff. Where are they gonna go? Go into complete uncertainty or take the 1-2 season knockback of a points deduction/transfer embargo? It can't be one rule and one rule for another. I saw my team go down three divisions, and we didn't try and tear the entire fabric of football apart.


https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... er-embargo

Image
User avatar
Dowbocop
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Football Thread 2020/21: Rafa to Everton? This is a fact.
by Dowbocop » Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:51 pm

DML wrote:
Dowbocop wrote:
DML wrote:
TonyDA wrote:How could City buy Kane & Grealish and not break the FFP rules?

Kind of a genuine question, even though I’m aware those rules don’t apply to clubs run as playthings by Middle Eastern states nor Russian oligarchs.


Because they are bullshit.

I'm still waiting for an actual punishment for trying to breakway.

I do think all the English clubs have got away very lightly. I would not have been surprised if we'd all had a deduction either this season or next. I know there was a clause in either the UEFA or PL rules that talked about officially sanctioned competitions but I don't think there was a punishment attached to that, so any sledgehammer punishments would just be rescinded on appeal, causing more embarrassment. I think that's evident with the PL stating that any future transgressions would trigger a thirty point deduction. They would've just done that now if they could've got away with it, but it would just turn into a gigantic legal mess and probably ruin next season's competition by dominating all the headlines (which nobody wants after the last eighteen months).

If it's as easy as it clearly is to evade or reduce punishment for breaking rules in all these flagship initiatives (FFP, tapping up etc), there's no chance of getting a draconian punishment to stick for an offence they hadn't really thought about properly.


I'm just strawberry floating desperate for them to call their bluff. Where are they gonna go? Go into complete uncertainty or take the 1-2 season knockback of a points deduction/transfer embargo? It can't be one rule and one rule for another. I saw my team go down three divisions, and we didn't try and tear the entire fabric of football apart.

But it's not one rule for some and one for another: there wasn't a rule until some clubs took the piss this season, just like there wasn't a rule for adminstration triggering a ten point penalty until teams started taking the piss and flipping out of debts. It's all very well calling a bluff, but if the punishments won't stick then what's the point?

User avatar
Return_of_the_STAR
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Football Thread 2020/21: Rafa to Everton? This is a fact.
by Return_of_the_STAR » Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:59 pm

Dowbocop wrote:
DML wrote:
Dowbocop wrote:
DML wrote:
TonyDA wrote:How could City buy Kane & Grealish and not break the FFP rules?

Kind of a genuine question, even though I’m aware those rules don’t apply to clubs run as playthings by Middle Eastern states nor Russian oligarchs.


Because they are bullshit.

I'm still waiting for an actual punishment for trying to breakway.

I do think all the English clubs have got away very lightly. I would not have been surprised if we'd all had a deduction either this season or next. I know there was a clause in either the UEFA or PL rules that talked about officially sanctioned competitions but I don't think there was a punishment attached to that, so any sledgehammer punishments would just be rescinded on appeal, causing more embarrassment. I think that's evident with the PL stating that any future transgressions would trigger a thirty point deduction. They would've just done that now if they could've got away with it, but it would just turn into a gigantic legal mess and probably ruin next season's competition by dominating all the headlines (which nobody wants after the last eighteen months).

If it's as easy as it clearly is to evade or reduce punishment for breaking rules in all these flagship initiatives (FFP, tapping up etc), there's no chance of getting a draconian punishment to stick for an offence they hadn't really thought about properly.


I'm just strawberry floating desperate for them to call their bluff. Where are they gonna go? Go into complete uncertainty or take the 1-2 season knockback of a points deduction/transfer embargo? It can't be one rule and one rule for another. I saw my team go down three divisions, and we didn't try and tear the entire fabric of football apart.

But it's not one rule for some and one for another: there wasn't a rule until some clubs took the piss this season, just like there wasn't a rule for adminstration triggering a ten point penalty until teams started taking the piss and flipping out of debts. It's all very well calling a bluff, but if the punishments won't stick then what's the point?


As you say. There wasn't a rule covering teams trying to set up another league or resign from competitions etc. They have now signed up to a new set of rules and agreed to pay a goodwill payment. This was not a fine as they didn't break any rules. However should the same situation happen again then they would have to pay a fine and get point deductions etc..

User avatar
Captain Kinopio
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Herbi
Location: The Observatory

PostRe: The Football Thread 2020/21: Rafa to Everton? This is a fact.
by Captain Kinopio » Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:04 pm

If City just buy all the quality English players, don’t they strawberry float over all the other English clubs because of the home grown talent requirement. Liverpool are already pretty tight on that I think.

Time for adventure
User avatar
Tomous
Member
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: The Football Thread 2020/21: Rafa to Everton? This is a fact.
by Tomous » Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:37 pm

Dowbocop wrote:
DML wrote:
Dowbocop wrote:
DML wrote:
TonyDA wrote:How could City buy Kane & Grealish and not break the FFP rules?

Kind of a genuine question, even though I’m aware those rules don’t apply to clubs run as playthings by Middle Eastern states nor Russian oligarchs.


Because they are bullshit.

I'm still waiting for an actual punishment for trying to breakway.

I do think all the English clubs have got away very lightly. I would not have been surprised if we'd all had a deduction either this season or next. I know there was a clause in either the UEFA or PL rules that talked about officially sanctioned competitions but I don't think there was a punishment attached to that, so any sledgehammer punishments would just be rescinded on appeal, causing more embarrassment. I think that's evident with the PL stating that any future transgressions would trigger a thirty point deduction. They would've just done that now if they could've got away with it, but it would just turn into a gigantic legal mess and probably ruin next season's competition by dominating all the headlines (which nobody wants after the last eighteen months).

If it's as easy as it clearly is to evade or reduce punishment for breaking rules in all these flagship initiatives (FFP, tapping up etc), there's no chance of getting a draconian punishment to stick for an offence they hadn't really thought about properly.


I'm just strawberry floating desperate for them to call their bluff. Where are they gonna go? Go into complete uncertainty or take the 1-2 season knockback of a points deduction/transfer embargo? It can't be one rule and one rule for another. I saw my team go down three divisions, and we didn't try and tear the entire fabric of football apart.

But it's not one rule for some and one for another: there wasn't a rule until some clubs took the piss this season, just like there wasn't a rule for adminstration triggering a ten point penalty until teams started taking the piss and flipping out of debts. It's all very well calling a bluff, but if the punishments won't stick then what's the point?



There was a rule:

Except with the prior written approval of the board, during the season a club shall not enter or play its senior men’s first team in any competition other than

L.9.1 – The UEFA Champions League
L.9.2 – The UEFA Europa League
L.9.3 – The FA Cup
L.9.4 – The FA Community Shield
L.9.5 – The Football League Cup or
L.9.6 – Competitions sanctioned by the County Association of which it is a member.”


Image
User avatar
DML
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Football Thread 2020/21: Rafa to Everton? This is a fact.
by DML » Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:01 pm

Tomous wrote:
Dowbocop wrote:
DML wrote:
Dowbocop wrote:
DML wrote:
TonyDA wrote:How could City buy Kane & Grealish and not break the FFP rules?

Kind of a genuine question, even though I’m aware those rules don’t apply to clubs run as playthings by Middle Eastern states nor Russian oligarchs.


Because they are bullshit.

I'm still waiting for an actual punishment for trying to breakway.

I do think all the English clubs have got away very lightly. I would not have been surprised if we'd all had a deduction either this season or next. I know there was a clause in either the UEFA or PL rules that talked about officially sanctioned competitions but I don't think there was a punishment attached to that, so any sledgehammer punishments would just be rescinded on appeal, causing more embarrassment. I think that's evident with the PL stating that any future transgressions would trigger a thirty point deduction. They would've just done that now if they could've got away with it, but it would just turn into a gigantic legal mess and probably ruin next season's competition by dominating all the headlines (which nobody wants after the last eighteen months).

If it's as easy as it clearly is to evade or reduce punishment for breaking rules in all these flagship initiatives (FFP, tapping up etc), there's no chance of getting a draconian punishment to stick for an offence they hadn't really thought about properly.


This

I'm just strawberry floating desperate for them to call their bluff. Where are they gonna go? Go into complete uncertainty or take the 1-2 season knockback of a points deduction/transfer embargo? It can't be one rule and one rule for another. I saw my team go down three divisions, and we didn't try and tear the entire fabric of football apart.

But it's not one rule for some and one for another: there wasn't a rule until some clubs took the piss this season, just like there wasn't a rule for adminstration triggering a ten point penalty until teams started taking the piss and flipping out of debts. It's all very well calling a bluff, but if the punishments won't stick then what's the point?



There was a rule:

Except with the prior written approval of the board, during the season a club shall not enter or play its senior men’s first team in any competition other than

L.9.1 – The UEFA Champions League
L.9.2 – The UEFA Europa League
L.9.3 – The FA Cup
L.9.4 – The FA Community Shield
L.9.5 – The Football League Cup or
L.9.6 – Competitions sanctioned by the County Association of which it is a member.”



This.

Im not sure thats the 'Gotcha' you think it is Moggy. We were punished, other teams are barely getting a slap on the wrist. Every club will try and escape punishment, but you gotta line up a proper punishment first.

Any club who.has recieved a points deduction, they must all be thinking WTF.

Image

Return to “Archive”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 63 guests