The Higher Education Megathread

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Karl_
Dr. Nyaaa~!
Dr. Nyaaa~!
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: The Higher Education Megathread
by Karl_ » Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:51 pm

:lol: Amazing.

User avatar
Mini E
Doctor
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Higher Education Megathread
by Mini E » Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:57 pm

I've poured a rum and coke, closed my inbox, and am going to bed.

User avatar
Corazon de Leon
Doctor ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Deadpool / sntaa

PostRe: The Higher Education Megathread
by Corazon de Leon » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:26 pm

Christ almighty, the following utterly ruined me:

"Your message doesn't give any real idea of who the research group is and how many people would know who your identity is in real life?"

Google it, you tosspot. And presumably your name on FB is your real name - I assume you've got a staff profile at OB and it wouldn't be hard to google you, too. :lol:

Image
User avatar
Mini E
Doctor
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Higher Education Megathread
by Mini E » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:28 pm

Corazon de Leon wrote:Christ almighty, the following utterly ruined me:

"Your message doesn't give any real idea of who the research group is and how many people would know who your identity is in real life?"

Google it, you tosspot. And presumably your name on FB is your real name - I assume you've got a staff profile at OB and it wouldn't be hard to google you, too. :lol:


The post is a public post from my Facebook profile - yes. If you google my name, the top few results include my Twitter, my LinkedIn, my OBU profile, and a JustGiving page I created that raised about a grand for Cancer Research UK. Master of hiding my identity, me.

User avatar
Corazon de Leon
Doctor ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Deadpool / sntaa

PostRe: The Higher Education Megathread
by Corazon de Leon » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:13 pm

Mini E wrote:
Corazon de Leon wrote:Christ almighty, the following utterly ruined me:

"Your message doesn't give any real idea of who the research group is and how many people would know who your identity is in real life?"

Google it, you tosspot. And presumably your name on FB is your real name - I assume you've got a staff profile at OB and it wouldn't be hard to google you, too. :lol:


The post is a public post from my Facebook profile - yes. If you google my name, the top few results include my Twitter, my LinkedIn, my OBU profile, and a JustGiving page I created that raised about a grand for Cancer Research UK. Master of hiding my identity, me.


:lol:

Good Lord, some people.

Image
User avatar
Mini E
Doctor
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Higher Education Megathread
by Mini E » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:50 pm

Corazon de Leon wrote:
Mini E wrote:
Corazon de Leon wrote:Christ almighty, the following utterly ruined me:

"Your message doesn't give any real idea of who the research group is and how many people would know who your identity is in real life?"

Google it, you tosspot. And presumably your name on FB is your real name - I assume you've got a staff profile at OB and it wouldn't be hard to google you, too. :lol:


The post is a public post from my Facebook profile - yes. If you google my name, the top few results include my Twitter, my LinkedIn, my OBU profile, and a JustGiving page I created that raised about a grand for Cancer Research UK. Master of hiding my identity, me.


:lol:

Good Lord, some people.


Hi Andy thanks, seems I owe you an apology as you're confirmed as a friends cousin brother in law.


*shrug*

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

PostRe: The Higher Education Megathread
by Moggy » Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:07 pm

Mini E wrote:
Hi Andy thanks, seems I owe you an apology as you're confirmed as a friends cousin brother in law.


*shrug*


A friends cousin brother in law? You two are practically married!

Image
User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Jenuall
Location: 40 light-years outside of the Exeter nebula
Contact:

PostRe: The Higher Education Megathread
by Jenuall » Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:10 pm

I mean things would have to be really bad to start distrusting a friends cousin brother in law.

Image
User avatar
Mafro
Moderator
Joined in 2008
AKA: DAT MAF
Contact:

PostRe: The Higher Education Megathread
by Mafro » Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:03 pm

We haven't been officially told yet by any of our tutors that our exam that was meant to be two weeks today is cancelled even though it says so on the SQA website, and we've still been given stuff to do as revision for it when that time could be used doing our normal work for assessments we need to submit and be graded on instead :simper:

HSH28 wrote:Assmung you ever get one that is.

Blog | Twitter
User avatar
Corazon de Leon
Doctor ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Deadpool / sntaa

PostRe: The Higher Education Megathread
by Corazon de Leon » Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:05 pm

Mafro wrote:We haven't been officially told yet by any of our tutors that our exam that was meant to be two weeks today is cancelled even though it says so on the SQA website, and we've still been given stuff to do as revision for it when that time could be used doing our normal work for assessments we need to submit and be graded on instead :simper:


What institution is this?

Image
User avatar
Mini E
Doctor
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Higher Education Megathread
by Mini E » Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:11 pm

Corazon de Leon wrote:
Mafro wrote:We haven't been officially told yet by any of our tutors that our exam that was meant to be two weeks today is cancelled even though it says so on the SQA website, and we've still been given stuff to do as revision for it when that time could be used doing our normal work for assessments we need to submit and be graded on instead :simper:


What institution is this?


Karl's really slacked off on the OP.

Hope Mafro isn't at OBU or this is going to be awkward.

User avatar
Karl_
Dr. Nyaaa~!
Dr. Nyaaa~!
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: The Higher Education Megathread
by Karl_ » Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:12 pm

If Maf wants to go in the OP he can fill in the survey like everyone else :capnscotty: ;)

User avatar
Mafro
Moderator
Joined in 2008
AKA: DAT MAF
Contact:

PostRe: The Higher Education Megathread
by Mafro » Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:33 pm

Corazon de Leon wrote:
Mafro wrote:We haven't been officially told yet by any of our tutors that our exam that was meant to be two weeks today is cancelled even though it says so on the SQA website, and we've still been given stuff to do as revision for it when that time could be used doing our normal work for assessments we need to submit and be graded on instead :simper:


What institution is this?

Fife College. This is what's on the SQA site from two weeks ago regarding my course level https://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/93717.html Luckily we had a prelim a few weeks before the college closed (was 1% off getting an A), others weren't so lucky and had one scheduled later that never happened.

Karl_ wrote:If Maf wants to go in the OP he can fill in the survey like everyone else :capnscotty: ;)

I'll strawberry floating edit myself into your op if I want to :evil:

HSH28 wrote:Assmung you ever get one that is.

Blog | Twitter
User avatar
Karl_
Dr. Nyaaa~!
Dr. Nyaaa~!
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: The Higher Education Megathread
by Karl_ » Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:42 pm

Image

User avatar
Mafro
Moderator
Joined in 2008
AKA: DAT MAF
Contact:

PostRe: The Higher Education Megathread
by Mafro » Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:47 pm

Karl_ wrote:Image

Also, just curious on your thoughts on students being taught jQuery, VB.NET and ES5 in 2020?

HSH28 wrote:Assmung you ever get one that is.

Blog | Twitter
User avatar
Trelliz
Doctor ♥
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: The Higher Education Megathread
by Trelliz » Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:52 pm

Mini E wrote:Why not publish all your full contact and university research group details before you ask people to click on a link?


"I'm not going to click a link until you dox yourself!"

Tragic Magic wrote:I'm giving esteem a name of crafty Fu mining pinitz strawberry float me I live roasted ponuts

Never pre-order or pre-purchase a console, game or season pass.
User avatar
Karl_
Dr. Nyaaa~!
Dr. Nyaaa~!
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: The Higher Education Megathread
by Karl_ » Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:05 pm

Mafro wrote:Also, just curious on your thoughts on students being taught jQuery, VB.NET and ES5 in 2020?

Hmm! It's not my end of development, so I don't really know.

I don't think there is much reason to learn jQuery in 2020. It's historically significant, but web frameworks have evolved so far since jQuery - you won't even necessarily be learning all the relevant concepts that come through in web app frameworks like React / Angular / Vue.

I think there might be a good pedagogical reason to expose students to vanilla JavaScript, depending on the aims of the course. ES5 is obviously quite an old standard now. I imagine it would be better to teach ES2015 (or newer), but I suppose if the goal of the module is just "intro to programming" it might not really matter.

VB.NET is actually an incredibly popular language, so I think that is probably a marketable skill for graduates. (I've never seen it used personally though.)

User avatar
Red
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Pons Aelius

PostRe: The Higher Education Megathread
by Red » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:30 pm

I emailed a professor to thank him for the good grades I got in his modules and he replied with 'you're good at this, I'd be delighted to discuss your thoughts on career options for after the masters with you at some point if you want', and figuring it was just a polite throwaway I said, yeah sure, that would be good, and he was like, okay I'll ring you at 3pm.

And now I have no idea what to say because I've not even thought about future job prospects and careers. I need to come up with some sort of direction and intelligent questions to ask right now.

Coconut Bob wrote:You come across as feminine as a cave troll so its no wonder you have little concept of the way females should behave.

Instagram: @amygmatic
User avatar
Corazon de Leon
Doctor ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Deadpool / sntaa

PostRe: The Higher Education Megathread
by Corazon de Leon » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:38 pm

Red wrote:I emailed a professor to thank him for the good grades I got in his modules and he replied with 'you're good at this, I'd be delighted to discuss your thoughts on career options for after the masters with you at some point if you want', and figuring it was just a polite throwaway I said, yeah sure, that would be good, and he was like, okay I'll ring you at 3pm.

And now I have no idea what to say because I've not even thought about future job prospects and careers. I need to come up with some sort of direction and intelligent questions to ask right now.


Don't stress about sounding intelligent - if he wants to discuss potential career options with you, he'll most likely already have something in mind such as a PhD path or funding he's aware of that you can apply for. That's great feedback though, well done! :D

Image
User avatar
Mini E
Doctor
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Higher Education Megathread
by Mini E » Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:02 pm

Red wrote:I emailed a professor to thank him for the good grades I got in his modules and he replied with 'you're good at this, I'd be delighted to discuss your thoughts on career options for after the masters with you at some point if you want', and figuring it was just a polite throwaway I said, yeah sure, that would be good, and he was like, okay I'll ring you at 3pm.

And now I have no idea what to say because I've not even thought about future job prospects and careers. I need to come up with some sort of direction and intelligent questions to ask right now.


Good to hear that not all of your lecturers are total shitshows ;)


Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: darksideby182, Drej, Errkal, Saint of Killers, Trelliz, Zilnad and 143 guests