The Higher Education Megathread

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Karl_
Nyaaaaaaa~!
Nyaaaaaaa~!
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: The Higher Education Megathread
by Karl_ » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:43 pm

It's a very tough time in the universities sector right now, particularly over in the arts / humanities. Some friends of mine have had success by looking abroad, but OTOH you might end up working in the States ( :dread: :lol: ). Is that an option for you?

User avatar
Corazon de Leon
Doctor ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Deadpool / sntaa

PostRe: The Higher Education Megathread
by Corazon de Leon » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:30 pm

My specialty is US history of course, so the job market is a little kinder. I definitely have the freedom to go over there, and would happily do adjunct work for a couple of years but - as bad as this sounds - I don’t want to be so far away that I can’t see Loki, and I also have a cat that I quite like. Preferably I’d remain in the UK. :oops:

Image
User avatar
Mini E
Doctor
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: The Higher Education Megathread
by Mini E » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:09 am

We don't have anything going here at the moment in history at all - but I will keep an eye out mate.

User avatar
Corazon de Leon
Doctor ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Deadpool / sntaa

PostRe: The Higher Education Megathread
by Corazon de Leon » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:22 am

Cheers mate. It's Oxford Brookes you're at now, right?

Job that I'm qualified for went up at a university much further south than I am - a 0.4FTE role there. Went up on 28th August and goes down tomorrow. What the strawberry float? If I hadn't been randomly browsing jobs.ac.uk at 11pm tonight I wouldn't have seen the bastard.

I'm assuming there's someone internal they want in the role but need to put it up for a couple of days to satisfy job fairness standards or whatever. But I've shoved an application in anyway because strawberry float it, why not? :lol:

Image
User avatar
Mini E
Doctor
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: The Higher Education Megathread
by Mini E » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:03 pm

Yes - at Oxford Brookes. You never know - I was up against an internal applicant for my role and I managed to get it. My sister went for a teaching role at a school against an internal applicant and she got the job. It does happen!

I'm writing a book chapter and just searched Google Scholar for "Why are older people more racist?". A new low, I think.

User avatar
Dig Dug
Member
Joined in 2011

PostRe: The Higher Education Megathread
by Dig Dug » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:07 am

I remember there being a thread on here for learning programming and such. Anyone got a link to it? Also a link to the grcade game dev projects thread. I've not had much luck with job hunting since finishing uni so I'm going to make an earnest effort to learn programming and the like after putting it off for far too long.

User avatar
Rightey
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Higher Education Megathread
by Rightey » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:14 am

Rightey wrote:I have completed another chapter of my thesis.

Just the actual analysis and conclusions left to go.

I need to get those done in about... one week, two weeks tops. :slol:

I'll be fine right guys? :dread:


Well that certainly didn't pan out. :lol: :cry:

Still working on everything, and being pretty good about not slacking off too much, but there are still so many delays. :dread:

Pelloki on ghosts wrote:Just start masturbating furiously. That'll make them go away.

Image
User avatar
Karl_
Nyaaaaaaa~!
Nyaaaaaaa~!
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: The Higher Education Megathread
by Karl_ » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:38 pm

tfw when you haven't finished your thesis and there are only two weeks 'til the deadline

Image

User avatar
Lex-Man
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: The Higher Education Megathread
by Lex-Man » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:54 pm

Dig Dug wrote:I remember there being a thread on here for learning programming and such. Anyone got a link to it? Also a link to the grcade game dev projects thread. I've not had much luck with job hunting since finishing uni so I'm going to make an earnest effort to learn programming and the like after putting it off for far too long.


The Dev thread is here.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=41522&p=4485616&hilit=Dev#p4485616

Has anyone used brilliant before? I'm quite interested in signing up as I'd love to learn more maths stuff?

Amusement under late capitalism is the prolongation of work.
User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: 40 light-years outside of the buttermilk nebula

PostRe: The Higher Education Megathread
by Jenuall » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:55 am

Karl_ wrote:tfw when you haven't finished your thesis and there are only two weeks 'til the deadline

Image

Hang in there Karl!

It's surprising how much you can pull together when the deadline approaches. Good luck with it!

One thing I always struggled to let go of, whether for my thesis or any bit of work really, was that it was never going to be perfect and that there would always be more that I would have wanted to do on it. I spent a ludicrous amount of time on the first couple of chapters when writing my thesis, trying to get things just right - when in reality I should have got them to be good enough and moved the strawberry float on!

Image
User avatar
Karl_
Nyaaaaaaa~!
Nyaaaaaaa~!
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: The Higher Education Megathread
by Karl_ » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:43 pm

Thanks, I have my fingers crossed. I'm at least a bit lucky in that my thesis is largely an exercise in pulling together results and analysis I've already done for various papers and reports, and summarising software systems I coded myself and so know quite well.

This week I've got to finish off the last of my main chapters, then next week I need to write up an intro and a conclusion (and go through and put in all the references I've left as "???" :dread: ). I'm trying to keep my chin up, but I'm a slow writer and ideally I ought to start pumping out a solid couple thousand words per day now which seems impossible. It's taken me actual months and months of writing to get up to the 30k-ish words I have now. (Luckily "short" 40k-ish theses are pretty typical in my sub-field.)

Probably shouldn't be chatting on here then :shifty: :fp:

User avatar
Trelliz
Doctor ♥
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: The Higher Education Megathread
by Trelliz » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:47 pm

Karl_ wrote:Thanks, I have my fingers crossed. I'm at least a bit lucky in that my thesis is largely an exercise in pulling together results and analysis I've already done for various papers and reports, and summarising software systems I coded myself and so know quite well.

This week I've got to finish off the last of my main chapters, then next week I need to write up an intro and a conclusion (and go through and put in all the references I've left as "???" :dread: ). I'm trying to keep my chin up, but I'm a slow writer and ideally I ought to start pumping out a solid couple thousand words per day now which seems impossible. It's taken me actual months and months of writing to get up to the 30k-ish words I have now. (Luckily "short" 40k-ish theses are pretty typical in my sub-field.)

Probably shouldn't be chatting on here then :shifty: :fp:


You can do it, the last stretch is the toughest. When you're done please can you change my title to Doctor as well. Think of it as a celebration.

Tragic Magic wrote:I'm giving esteem a name of crafty Fu mining pinitz strawberry float me I live roasted ponuts

Never pre-order or pre-purchase a console, game or season pass.
User avatar
Karl_
Nyaaaaaaa~!
Nyaaaaaaa~!
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: The Higher Education Megathread
by Karl_ » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:49 pm

:lol:

I'll do it for you now, only takes a second. EDIT: Done.

User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: 40 light-years outside of the buttermilk nebula

PostRe: The Higher Education Megathread
by Jenuall » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:13 pm

Pah, if you have to ask for the title then you're doing it wrong!

Pssst. Please can I have a Doctor title as well Karl? :shifty:

The last stretch is definitely tough (and yes I too had many references that I had basically left blank that I had to go and sort - and then put in the right format etc. :dread: ) but it's all worth it! I actually think with hindsight that I enjoyed the vast majority of the process of writing my thesis, it's just the memories that linger longest are those final stretches of re-working stuff that you've been through many times before and faffing about with the nitty gritty bits!

Image
User avatar
Corazon de Leon
Doctor ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Deadpool / sntaa

PostRe: The Higher Education Megathread
by Corazon de Leon » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:32 pm

I feel like the doctors should have their own colour, or a modship as we’re the most responsible people on the forum.

Image
User avatar
Mini E
Doctor
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: The Higher Education Megathread
by Mini E » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:17 pm

Corazon de Leon wrote:I feel like the doctors should have their own colour, or a modship as we’re the most responsible people on the forum.


An entire sub-forum, you say? :shifty:

User avatar
Rightey
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Higher Education Megathread
by Rightey » Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:27 pm

Karl_ wrote:tfw when you haven't finished your thesis and there are only two weeks 'til the deadline

Image


Image

I hope it goes better for you than it did for me lol. I wish I could say "I wish someone had told me to not be a perfectionist with it" but people did tell me that and I just didn't realize I was doing it. :x

Pelloki on ghosts wrote:Just start masturbating furiously. That'll make them go away.

Image
User avatar
Karl_
Nyaaaaaaa~!
Nyaaaaaaa~!
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: The Higher Education Megathread
by Karl_ » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:06 pm

Rightey wrote:I hope it goes better for you than it did for me lol. I wish I could say "I wish someone had told me to not be a perfectionist with it" but people did tell me that and I just didn't realize I was doing it. :x

Cheers! No matter what happens I have to submit whatever I have on the 30th, no extensions :dread: so hopefully I'll at least have a solid core of a thesis there. I don't mind doing corrections after the viva, but obviously there needs to be enough down on paper for the panel to be able to get the gist of it, so that's what I'm working towards at the moment.

Good luck with yours, I saw you went a bit over schedule - hope it hasn't caused too many problems for you! I'm sure it'll work out in the end.

User avatar
Corazon de Leon
Doctor ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Deadpool / sntaa

PostRe: The Higher Education Megathread
by Corazon de Leon » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:12 pm

Good luck Karl mate, when you make the doctors into mod-doctors we can sort out your workload on here while you're focusing on that. Cheers bud. ;)

Seriously though, good luck Karl. It's gonna be a tough couple of weeks but it'll be worth it.

Image
User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: 40 light-years outside of the buttermilk nebula

PostRe: The Higher Education Megathread
by Jenuall » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:24 pm

Mod-doctor certainly has a nice ring to it! :lol:

Image

Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Lex-Man, MSN [Bot], Ste and 57 guests