Okarin tutturu~! The Japanese Anime & Manga Thread II [POST YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS]

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Mafro
Moderator
Joined in 2008
AKA: DAT MAF
Contact:

PostRe: Okarin tutturu~! The Japanese Anime & Manga Thread II [POST YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS]
by Mafro » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:09 pm

Got a new Kindle Paperwhite and was surprised to see it handles manga pretty well. Bought the first volume of Berserk and it has the same guided view panel thing as comics on Comixology which is cool (weirdly the deluxe volumes of Berserk that are free on Kindle Unlimited don't have this). Got Delicious in Dungeon vol 1 as well but unfortunately that doesn't do the guided view stuff.

EDIT: seems there was a Japan-only Kindle Manga model and the newest Paperwhite is basically that with other enhancements.

HSH28 wrote:Assmung you ever get one that is.

Blog | Twitter
User avatar
Qikz
#420BlazeIt ♥
Joined in 2011

PostRe: Okarin tutturu~! The Japanese Anime & Manga Thread II [POST YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS]
by Qikz » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:28 pm

I watched the Gundam 00 movie with people in VRChat just now - very fun experience and while I've never seen Gundam 00 so the actual story didn't make a huge amount of sense the action scenes were freaking amazing. Gundam is so damn cool man.

Image

Image
The Watching Artist wrote:I feel so inept next to Qikz...
User avatar
Jam-Master Jay
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Lord Hypnos
Location: Stourbridge
Contact:

PostRe: Okarin tutturu~! The Japanese Anime & Manga Thread II [POST YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS]
by Jam-Master Jay » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:39 pm

I really need to start making my way back through Gundam after stopping a dozen or so episodes in to Zeta.

Image
User avatar
Chocolate-Milk
Member
Joined in 2015
AKA: Welcome to the party, pal

PostRe: Okarin tutturu~! The Japanese Anime & Manga Thread II [POST YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS]
by Chocolate-Milk » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:14 pm

Plodding along with our DBZ rewatch with the original Ocean dub, and we've just reached the Ginyu Force.

I really can't overstate what a joy it is. Jeice had changed his accent practically every time he's been on screen. He started off Australian, then he was Scottish, then Brummie for a bit, and now he seems to have landed on Scouse with the world's worst Craig Charles impression! :slol:

Image
It was me, Dio!
User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: Okarin tutturu~! The Japanese Anime & Manga Thread II [POST YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS]
by Lagamorph » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:58 pm

I wonder if I can track down a complete set of DBZ 'Big Green' dubs. Not sure if that was just dubs for the movies or not.

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Chocolate-Milk
Member
Joined in 2015
AKA: Welcome to the party, pal

PostRe: Okarin tutturu~! The Japanese Anime & Manga Thread II [POST YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS]
by Chocolate-Milk » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:32 am

Lagamorph wrote:I wonder if I can track down a complete set of DBZ 'Big Green' dubs. Not sure if that was just dubs for the movies or not.

It was just the first 9 movies and two of the TV specials, unfortunately.

I have a link to hand if you want it, but it's poorly seeded.

Image
It was me, Dio!
User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: Okarin tutturu~! The Japanese Anime & Manga Thread II [POST YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS]
by Lagamorph » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:15 am

Chocolate-Milk wrote:
Lagamorph wrote:I wonder if I can track down a complete set of DBZ 'Big Green' dubs. Not sure if that was just dubs for the movies or not.

It was just the first 9 movies and two of the TV specials, unfortunately.

I have a link to hand if you want it, but it's poorly seeded.

Sure, worth having on in the background at leasr.

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Qikz
#420BlazeIt ♥
Joined in 2011

PostRe: Okarin tutturu~! The Japanese Anime & Manga Thread II [POST YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS]
by Qikz » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:07 am

Gundam Wing is so damn good holy gooseberry fool.

Image
The Watching Artist wrote:I feel so inept next to Qikz...
User avatar
Saint of Killers
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Okarin tutturu~! The Japanese Anime & Manga Thread II [POST YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS]
by Saint of Killers » Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:22 pm

So did anyone else read Assassination Classroom? I'm on 133. I enjoy the comedy and wholesomeness, but am now getting a little bit tired of the formula. I still like it though.

Do they insert the titillating stuff because the readership enjoys it, or is at behest of Jump, or is it all down to the what the author wants?

They're over there, by their theremin.
User avatar
Jam-Master Jay
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Lord Hypnos
Location: Stourbridge
Contact:

PostRe: Okarin tutturu~! The Japanese Anime & Manga Thread II [POST YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS]
by Jam-Master Jay » Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:50 pm

Saint of Killers wrote:So did anyone else read Assassination Classroom? I'm on 133. I enjoy the comedy and wholesomeness, but am now getting a little bit tired of the formula. I still like it though.

Do they insert the titillating stuff because the readership enjoys it, or is at behest of Jump, or is it all down to the what the author wants?


Fanservice is embarrassingly effective for many series and Shounen Jump usually has a harem or rom-com manga devoted to this kind of thing though it can and will appear in others. Stuff like skirt-flipping-panty-shots or spontaneous-clothing-explosions are all too common... I believe Yuuna and The Haunted Hotsprings wasn't available to read on Viz's version of Shounen Jump because of its content taking this to the extreme as the series went on and I can see Ayakashi Triangle following suit as its author/artist has history of pushing it with To Love Ru and To Love Ru Darkness.

Image
User avatar
Grumpy David
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Cubeamania

PostRe: Okarin tutturu~! The Japanese Anime & Manga Thread II [POST YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS]
by Grumpy David » Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:53 pm

One Piece latest chapter. :datass: :datass:

Getting very close to 1,000 chapters too. 8-)


Return to “Stuff”