Okarin tutturu~! The Japanese Anime & Manga Thread II [POST YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS]

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Chocolate-Milk
Member
Joined in 2015
AKA: Guy Brush of Lincolnshire

PostRe: Okarin tutturu~! The Japanese Anime & Manga Thread II [POST YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS]
by Chocolate-Milk » Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:08 am

Met wrote:It's really interesting seeing how Araki's art changes over the years. Like Jojo now is pretty much unrecognisable from parts 1 through 3.

Nowhere is it more striking than between the hardback cover of Phantom Blood and the first chapter. The Jonathan on the cover doesn't even look like the same series, let alone the same character! :lol:

Image
It was me, Dio!
User avatar
Qikz
#420BlazeIt ♥
Joined in 2011

PostRe: Okarin tutturu~! The Japanese Anime & Manga Thread II [POST YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS]
by Qikz » Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:53 am

Chocolate-Milk wrote:
Met wrote:It's really interesting seeing how Araki's art changes over the years. Like Jojo now is pretty much unrecognisable from parts 1 through 3.

Nowhere is it more striking than between the hardback cover of Phantom Blood and the first chapter. The Jonathan on the cover doesn't even look like the same series, let alone the same character! :lol:


Part 4 is the biggest difference, it starts off looking like Part 3 and then changes a bit in.

Image
The Watching Artist wrote:I feel so inept next to Qikz...
User avatar
Saint of Killers
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Okarin tutturu~! The Japanese Anime & Manga Thread II [POST YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS]
by Saint of Killers » Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:18 am

Usopp's powers on Thriller Bark :lol:

They're over there, by their theremin.
User avatar
Ironhide
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Autobot City

PostRe: Okarin tutturu~! The Japanese Anime & Manga Thread II [POST YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS]
by Ironhide » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:30 pm

The Justice stand :shock:

Probably the nastiest one so far.

Also why the hell hasn't Joseph taught Jotaro about Hamon yet, has it just been forgotten about?

Image
User avatar
Ironhide
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Autobot City

PostRe: Okarin tutturu~! The Japanese Anime & Manga Thread II [POST YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS]
by Ironhide » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:41 pm

My God!

Polnareff being made to lick the hideous toilet :dread:

Image
User avatar
Chocolate-Milk
Member
Joined in 2015
AKA: Guy Brush of Lincolnshire

PostRe: Okarin tutturu~! The Japanese Anime & Manga Thread II [POST YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS]
by Chocolate-Milk » Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:30 pm

Ironhide wrote:The Justice stand :shock:

Probably the nastiest one so far.

Also why the hell hasn't Joseph taught Jotaro about Hamon yet, has it just been forgotten about?

If I remember right, he gave up on his Hamon training some years prior. He manages to eke a bit out once or twice, but he's more or less lost the ability to use it properly. But yeah, Araki basically wrote it out in favour of Stands.

Image
It was me, Dio!
User avatar
Saint of Killers
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Okarin tutturu~! The Japanese Anime & Manga Thread II [POST YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS]
by Saint of Killers » Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:33 pm

Not in the mood to complete Trigun (it's understandably gotten very serious), and so I've gone back to Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood. (It's serious too but there are still moments of light-heartedness here and there.)

They're over there, by their theremin.
User avatar
Saint of Killers
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Okarin tutturu~! The Japanese Anime & Manga Thread II [POST YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS]
by Saint of Killers » Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:23 am

One Piece 534: Magellan's Venom Road is probably one of my personal favourite uses of power in the whole series. It's inventive (he gloops through the poison Hydra to quickly reach Luffy who's situated high above him) and has a great finishing touch. (The Hydra spits him out.)

His chair failed to draw a laugh from me the 2nd time around though :cry:

They're over there, by their theremin.
User avatar
Saint of Killers
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Okarin tutturu~! The Japanese Anime & Manga Thread II [POST YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS]
by Saint of Killers » Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:49 am

One Piece: I was *so wrong* about Bon Clay/Kurei. Guy is good people.

They're over there, by their theremin.
User avatar
Saint of Killers
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Okarin tutturu~! The Japanese Anime & Manga Thread II [POST YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS]
by Saint of Killers » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:54 am

JFC my memory is so bad :fp: I completely forgot who Ace's dad was :fp:

They're over there, by their theremin.
User avatar
Qikz
#420BlazeIt ♥
Joined in 2011

PostRe: Okarin tutturu~! The Japanese Anime & Manga Thread II [POST YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS]
by Qikz » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:54 am

Saint of Killers wrote:One Piece: I was *so wrong* about Bon Clay/Kurei. Guy is good people.

I really liked him during Alabasta and I was proven right. He's one of my favourite One Piece characters for sure.

I actually cried when he was saying goodbye to everyone at the end of Impel Down T_T

Image
The Watching Artist wrote:I feel so inept next to Qikz...
User avatar
Saint of Killers
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Okarin tutturu~! The Japanese Anime & Manga Thread II [POST YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS]
by Saint of Killers » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:15 am

Qikz wrote:
Saint of Killers wrote:One Piece: I was *so wrong* about Bon Clay/Kurei. Guy is good people.

I really liked him during Alabasta and I was proven right. He's one of my favourite One Piece characters for sure.

I actually cried when he was saying goodbye to everyone at the end of Impel Down T_T


I just found him to be too silly at first and that put me off him and was the cause of my snap judgement on him. I'm assuming once his kinder qualities appeared that I then quickly warmed to him.

They're over there, by their theremin.
User avatar
Chocolate-Milk
Member
Joined in 2015
AKA: Guy Brush of Lincolnshire

PostRe: Okarin tutturu~! The Japanese Anime & Manga Thread II [POST YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS]
by Chocolate-Milk » Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:27 pm

I couldn't stand Bon Clay during the Alabasta arc, but he did redeem himself a little bit when the Straw Hats left, so I'm willing to reserve judgement until I see where his character goes later in the story.

Image
It was me, Dio!
User avatar
Ironhide
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Autobot City

PostRe: Okarin tutturu~! The Japanese Anime & Manga Thread II [POST YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS]
by Ironhide » Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:10 pm

Well, that's the weirdest JoJo episode I've seen so far.

The Zenyatta Mondatta (which I believe is the title of a Police album) brothers episode, the art style of that comic :dread:

Image
User avatar
Qikz
#420BlazeIt ♥
Joined in 2011

PostRe: Okarin tutturu~! The Japanese Anime & Manga Thread II [POST YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS]
by Qikz » Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:38 pm

Ironhide wrote:Well, that's the weirdest JoJo episode I've seen so far.

The Zenyatta Mondatta (which I believe is the title of a Police album) brothers episode, the art style of that comic :dread:


Are you talking about Oingo and Boingo?

Image
The Watching Artist wrote:I feel so inept next to Qikz...
User avatar
Ironhide
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Autobot City

PostRe: Okarin tutturu~! The Japanese Anime & Manga Thread II [POST YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS]
by Ironhide » Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:47 pm

Qikz wrote:
Ironhide wrote:Well, that's the weirdest JoJo episode I've seen so far.

The Zenyatta Mondatta (which I believe is the title of a Police album) brothers episode, the art style of that comic :dread:


Are you talking about Oingo and Boingo?


Yes, its the stupid subtitles that have different names for some characters, I wondered why the English text on the comic said Oingo Boingo, Santana was changed to Santviento for some reason

Image
User avatar
Ironhide
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Autobot City

PostRe: Okarin tutturu~! The Japanese Anime & Manga Thread II [POST YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS]
by Ironhide » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:00 pm

strawberry floating hell, Avdol and Joseph getting magnetically stuck together :lol:

Epic scenes :lol:

Image
User avatar
VlaSoul
Member
Joined in 2018
AKA: Vtheyoshi

PostRe: Okarin tutturu~! The Japanese Anime & Manga Thread II [POST YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS]
by VlaSoul » Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:50 pm

Ironhide wrote:strawberry floating hell, Avdol and Joseph getting magnetically stuck together :lol:

Epic scenes :lol:

unironically one of the greatest arcs in stardust crusaders

Image
was Vtheyoshi on (S)ONM. V I was, V I remain
sig made by the venerable Krik
User avatar
Qikz
#420BlazeIt ♥
Joined in 2011

PostRe: Okarin tutturu~! The Japanese Anime & Manga Thread II [POST YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS]
by Qikz » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:32 pm

Ok, I still enjoyed it but what the strawberry float at Promised Neverland Season 2.

Not only did they skip 2 of the best arcs from the manga (as I understand) - the ending was just completely rushed. It's like nothing really happened and then in the space of 2 episodes every single little plot point was resolved. I'm guessing they didn't want to make a season 3 or something so rushed it to an ending but that was weird.

Image
The Watching Artist wrote:I feel so inept next to Qikz...
User avatar
Jam-Master Jay
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Lord Hypnos
Location: Stourbridge
Contact:

PostRe: Okarin tutturu~! The Japanese Anime & Manga Thread II [POST YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS]
by Jam-Master Jay » Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:09 pm

Qikz wrote:Ok, I still enjoyed it but what the strawberry float at Promised Neverland Season 2.

Not only did they skip 2 of the best arcs from the manga (as I understand) - the ending was just completely rushed. It's like nothing really happened and then in the space of 2 episodes every single little plot point was resolved. I'm guessing they didn't want to make a season 3 or something so rushed it to an ending but that was weird.


It's the biggest disappointment for me in quite a while. The first season skipped a little but could be justified in order to fit the season, but skipping the best arc post-escape, introduction of a couple of the best characters with great chemistry and the slow build towards the Norman reunion is just unforgivable. I had to drop it a few episodes in because it was just pissing me off whenever I tried to watch it.

Image

Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: <]:^D, Albear, Christopher, Cuttooth, Dowbocop, Errkal, floydfreak, Lex-Man, Lime, Memento Mori, Outrunner, PuppetBoy, snm123, Somebody Else's Presents and 121 guests